Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,928 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 (479 Views)

Meet Jasmine Harrison, The Youngest Female To Row Solo Across Atlantic Ocean / 3 Scottish Brothers Set World's Record, Row 3000miles Across Atlantic In 35days / Egina FPSO Sails To Offshore Field (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 by iamogunlowo(m): 9:34am On Jun 29, 2020
Days after Argentina canceled all international passenger flights to shield the country from the new coronavirus, Juan Manuel Ballestero began his journey home the only way possible: He stepped aboard his small sailboat for what turned out to be an 85-day odyssey across the Atlantic.
The 47-year-old sailor could have stayed put on the tiny Portuguese island of Porto Santo, to ride out the era of lockdowns and social distancing in a scenic place largely spared by the virus. But the idea of spending what he thought could be “the end of the world” away from his family, especially his father who was soon to turn 90, was unbearable.
“I didn’t want to stay like a coward on an island where there were no cases,” Mr. Ballestero said. “I wanted to do everything possible to return home. The most important thing for me was to be with my family.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/world/americas/coronavirus-argentina-sailor.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

2 Likes

Re: With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 by Emmacolinho(m): 10:22am On Jun 29, 2020
The power of WILL
Re: With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 by Gramps: 11:39am On Jun 29, 2020
Family first wink
iamogunlowo:

“I didn’t want to stay like a coward on an island where there were no cases,” Mr. Ballestero said. “I wanted to do everything possible to return home. The most important thing for me was to be with my family.”
Re: With Flights Banned, Son Sails Solo Across Atlantic To Reach Father, 90 by NaijadrivaCars: 12:16pm On Jun 29, 2020
Gramps:
[b]GOOD[/b]Family first wink

GOOD family First, BAD family last.

(1) (Reply)

Osogbo Or Benin City ? / USA Migration / Supersonic Airliner Could Fly LA To Tokyo In Under Three Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.