Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta (6907 Views)

Court Blasts EFCC, Orders Immediate Release Of Dasuki’s Ex-aide / N13 Billion Fraud: Court Orders Immediate Arrest Of Niger Delta Militant Tompolo / Jonathan Orders Immediate Release Of Report Of Forensic Audit Of NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Nobody: 2:13am On Feb 01, 2011
They should start with my fwend "grin-Sense".  smiley
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by BanjiHols(m): 4:08am On Feb 01, 2011
JEN 33 u r really getting it wrong!(probably u r from the south south)
Let Jonathan stop all these Mr Nice gestures and deal with real crisis in Nigeria, by now a lot of security officers should have been fired, thats what sharp leaders would do in such situation, then we shall know he means business!
For God's sake , there's no war or attack on foreigners in Eygpt!!!!
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by ziccoit: 4:16am On Feb 01, 2011
Jos, Borno, Bauchi, assassinations , internal rancour, election time;we are still counting capped with a clueless government. Hope other countries would not ask their citizens to be evacuated from Nigeria sooner than expected.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by ndukwejoe(m): 4:32am On Feb 01, 2011
i think the order is absurd since they are not fighting there. rather they are protesting. GEJ should concenterate on borno n jos it is becoming unbecoming.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Navi(m): 5:15am On Feb 01, 2011
nice decision.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by eghost247(m): 5:33am On Feb 01, 2011
ndukwejoe:

i think the order is absurd since they are not fighting there. rather they are protesting. GEJ should concenterate on borno n jos it is becoming unbecoming.
other countries are packing there citizens out of there
protesting or fighting
this is how it starts
this is a good decision
if he didn't do it
you people will stil come here and say other countries evacuated their citizens
before it escalated
and Nigeria didn't
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by tpiah2: 5:37am On Feb 01, 2011
britain isnt evacuating her own citizens though.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by ziccoit: 6:55am On Feb 01, 2011
At the end we would see how much they would say they have spent. Billions de very light for dem lip.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by vasa: 7:34am On Feb 01, 2011
Some of us here on nl are really getting this things wrong
In as much as am against govt actions on jos which is crime
against humanity. Truth is that ur house Will not be on fire
Why u are busy pursuing rat, But the question is how many
us here on nl have taken time to suggest possible solution
to this problems in the north? Secondly from Buhari, Ribado, Emirs to
northern elders or whatever they are called what are Their
positions on this issue? These are the same people the claim
to rule. Halo if we still believe in on Nigeria the early we
start profering solutions the better our rulers will start
thinking to lead. Critics cant take us anywhere.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Obijulius: 8:06am On Feb 01, 2011
just busybodiing
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by tdough: 10:43am On Feb 01, 2011
HYMnnnn, hope itz all 4 d betament of we d nigerian pple, may he shld luk back home. mtchewwwww
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 01, 2011
Its so annoying when one reads comments here on NL, the people doing the killings in Jos and Maiduguri are Nigerians just like the Nigerians here on NL-- thick headed, tribal , myopic, dumb and natural born critics with a taste for blood, We are so lucky in NL we interact on line and don't see each other if not Jos would be child's play compared to the death that would have occurred here given the diatribe that emanates from the so called "learned" NLders. A president orders for the evacuation of his citizens in country that's going chaotic and over the precipice and you have people saying that's not a priority----- God help us all.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Jen33(m): 4:52pm On Feb 01, 2011
Tunmi said:

So when is our president going to help the citizens in Jos and the Niger Delta. Or must there be an uprising there for him to focus?

Have you actually followed the events in these two places, and do you know what and what has been done there by the government in say the last few months?

Answer: NO YOU DON'T. In fact you do not know ANYTHING going on in the ''Niger Delta'' much less what has been done by the government in Jos. You only write this because you've heard people talk and write about those places. You've done ZERO research yourself. You do not even READ Nigerian newspapers online. Don't ask me how I know - I just know.

And what's going on in Egypt is a protest against the government. The Nigerians who are there will be fine. It's not a war unlike other places in Nigeria.

You're extremely ignorant and thoughtless. 150 people were slaughtered two days ago in Egypt. Today, reports on Al Jazeera say 100 have been killed in Alexandria since yesterday. Sure. it's ''not a war like other places in Nigeria''. A fool fed fat on hamburgers and losing the little brains she had.

We don't have to copy copy everything the US does. They have their reasons. They respect and value their citizens' lives more than we do (it's the bitter truth)

The ultimate, disgusting statement of self-imposed inferiority. Shame on you and your self loathing ilk. I guess it never occurred to your inferiorized little mind that evacuating your citizens from anarchical countries on the brink of civil war is a state duty.

And to who mentioned the Egyptian soldiers and their respect for human life (no shoot to kill) thank you for including that.

You forgot to mention the Egyptian ''special police forces'' responsible for the deaths of hundreds so far. Or they don't fit in to your philosophy of self imposed inferiority? Brainless she-goat.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 01, 2011
With what? We have no national carrier, only Egypt Air operates.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Tunmi(f): 6:36pm On Feb 01, 2011
Jen33:

Have you actually followed the events in these two places, and do you know what and what has been done there by the government in say the last few months?

Answer: NO YOU DON'T. In fact you do not know ANYTHING going on in the ''Niger Delta'' much less what has been done by the government in Jos. You only write this because you've heard people talk and write about those places. You've done ZERO research yourself. You do not even READ Nigerian newspapers online. Don't ask me how I know - I just know.

You're extremely ignorant and thoughtless. 150 people were slaughtered two days ago in Egypt. Today, reports on Al Jazeera say 100 have been killed in Alexandria since yesterday. Sure. it's ''not a war like other places in Nigeria''. A fool fed fat on hamburgers and losing the little brains she had.

The ultimate, disgusting statement of self-imposed inferiority. Shame on you and your self loathing ilk. I guess it never occurred to your inferiorized little mind that evacuating your citizens from anarchical countries on the brink of civil war is a state duty.

You forgot to mention the Egyptian ''special police forces'' responsible for the deaths of hundreds so far. Or they don't fit in to your philosophy of self imposed inferiority? Brainless she-goat.

If you want to make an argument, refrain from the insults. If you can make an effective argument, you should not have to retort to such. Siomply state your case.
1. You made an assumption that I do not read Nigerian newspapers online. I do. I have followed what the Nigerian government has been doing in the Niger Delta since Yar'Adua was in office. I was iffy about the Amnesty deal because the real culprits, the Niger Delta government and the oil companies were not targeted. It was easy enough to blame MEND, and only MEND, for the attacks. I did commend Jonathan for putting this woman in place of Niger Delta affairs (I forgot her name, but he did this some days after assuming the role of president). But since you claim that I do not know what is going on, educate me (and with sources too)

2. What is going on in Egypt was the same thing that happened in Tunisia. The people are fed up with the type of government they have. I am not extremely ignorant, only so in some areas. But since you are so blessed to be a non-ignoramus, do teahc us (with sources too) Okay you say 150 were slaughtered (that's a bit insensitive, they are human beings afterall), where is the source? People tend to throw numbers about. Now, who were those killed? Were they Egyptian citizens only? Were they members of the armed forces only? The numbers only tell me that people died, I do not know which.

3. "A fool fed on hamburgers and losing the little brains she had" aww how nice. So because I set my location to the US, you assume I feed on hamburgers. -sigh- it really is not worth it,

4. Do you really want to hold Nigeria as a country that respects its citizens? Really? Even when Nigerians do well, they do not get the respect they deserve. Our women soccer team earned the silver world cup and yet they came home in a lorry with little to no fanfare. Consider it trifling, of no importance, but come on! And let's not get into the Nigerian police force or the army. The police that shoots at will and slaughters anyone they deem fit. The police that killed a man who went to the police station for refuge. A police that caused a crash that engulfed the lives of innocent people because the driver did not want to give them their bribe. Egypt is not on the brink of civil war. Not even close. The people are protesting for their rights. It is the people and the army vs. Mubarak and the police. The United States has its reasons for pulling its people out because it wants to make the situation more complex than it is. They supported Mubarak and his policies for 30 years. Now that his time might be up, they are all up in arms. Tunisia went through this process and the Nigerian government was mum. Has anyone even talked to the Nigerian citizens in Egypt?

5. There is no inferiority. The US goes to bat for its people. It's a fact. Late last year, President Bill Clinton met with North Korean president, Kim Jong Il, to release two American journalists: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/asia/05korea.html?_r=1
It is a fact. I would love for Nigeria to do the same, but it'll take a while. We will get there but it will take some time. There is no self loathing, just learning from other nations to make Nigeria better--which Naija should be doing. There are so many countries Naija could learn from: South Korea, Germany, UK, USA, Cuba, Saudi Arabia amongst others (all for different things). We could take the good from these countries and find ways to apply them to us. Learn how they dealt with recessions and inflations and corruption. We do not have to do the exact same thing but we can learn from them to avoid the same mistakes.

6. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/29/AR2011012903283.html
The Egyptian soldiers and the people stand as one. Again the special "police" force. The police are the ones standing against the people. Not the soldiers. I said soldiers you said police. Also could you include the source for that. Thank you
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by 1025: 7:39pm On Feb 01, 2011
take them from egypt to where? many more nigerians are looking for a good opportunity like this one to run out of here.
at least, bombs and boko haram are not let loose over there in egypt.
please those nigerians over there shld join those protesters as we will soon start our own here.
there is no need coming back to nigeria bcs any moment from april, we will rush into the streets to show our grieviances over what pdp has turned this country into in the past 12 yrs.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Aderupoko2: 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2011
Immediate evacuation to where?When most of us dey look for any country that can immediately evacuate us from Naijah. angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by eghost247(m): 11:25pm On Feb 01, 2011
Duno why you people
are criticizing the man not if he didnt do this u would stil complain
rubbish
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by mrwrite: 11:29am On Feb 02, 2011
if Jonathan had done his home work properly, he would hv realized that the Nigerians in Egypt are already on their way to Dubia.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by MaJBlige(f): 12:05pm On Feb 02, 2011
rubbish.

Dubia ko Duiba ni
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by MaJBlige(f): 12:14pm On Feb 02, 2011
Tunmi:

So when is our president going to help the citizens in Jos and the Niger Delta. Or must there be an uprising there for him to focus?

And what's going on in Egypt is a protest against the government. The Nigerians who are there will be fine. It's not a war unlike other places in Nigeria. We don't have to copy copy everything the US does. They have their reasons. They respect and value their citizens' lives more than we do (it's the bitter truth)

And to who mentioned the Egyptian soldiers and their respect for human life (no shoot to kill) thank you for including that.

Really - the Nigerians will be fine. So why is America and Britain doing the same for their citizens? Because they wont be fine? Or because their citizens are more human than Nigerians? Is that what you call copy copy? Na wao.

What reason do they have apart from to keep their citizens safe? So because for the first time in history, a President thinks it right to keep his fellow Nigerians safe, you call it copy copy?

This is the kind of reasoning that is keeping us backwards as human beings, not even as Nigerians now, but as human beings. How human is this call that the President shouldnt worry about the safety of his fellow human beings cut up in a very volatile situation?

If tomorrow, CNN goes on the news and says 20 Nigerians killed out of the 300 so far, people will come in here and blame GEJ for not taking action and for looking aside while Nigerians die. Just as they blame him for thousands on death roll in prisons all over the world.

Politics and criticism apart- let us be objective when it is necessary. There is absolutely no justification for pouring critics on the President for making a pronouncement to keep fellow Nigerians safe from would be volatile situations.

Maybe to agree with many criticisms here. The white man's life is more valuable than the life of the black man - I am beginning to think and agree with that assumption based on the criticisms here.

Some even said it is so that many will benefit financially - how crude some people's mind are.

Maybe the kind of Nigerians people think about are the ones who are on the streets, the ones who have no valid papers and the ones who are in Egypt destroying the image of Nigeria. Fine- these people are Nigerians as well and their life still matters, no matter what. But also their are a whole lot who are there legitimately, students, workers, the diplomats, the families on holidays, etc etc. Are you saying these ones who are caught up in these riots should not be thought about and rescued to safety?

It is a riot against the government, true, but with 300 and more dead (SkyNews), you do not realy know who will be hit or what may happen tomorrow.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by MaJBlige(f): 1:00pm On Feb 02, 2011
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-orders-evacuation-of-200-nigerians-trapped-in-egypt/85602/

President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the immediate evacuation of over 200 Nigerians living in Egypt to avoid  anything untoward  happening to them in the wake of the public protests in the Arab nation.

Jonathan who is currently attending the 16th ordinary session of the African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, gave the directive for the evacuation to the Minister of  Foreign Affairs, Odein Ajumogobia (SAN) and the National Security Adviser, (NSA) , General Owoye Azazi .

The Senior Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro in a statement issued in Addis Ababa said the President gave the directive for the evacuation on Sunday night.

Over 200 Nigerians among them students, businessmen, tourists and government officials and those on medical trips are said to be stranded at Cairo International Airport following the massive protests calling for the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak.

The Nigerians are said to have been caught up to the extent that they can neither go back to their bases in Egypt nor fly out of the country as all services have been suspended. Telephone and internet services have also been blocked so they cannot call out nor make contact with their loved ones.

The situation is worsened by constant cancellation of flights by Egypt Air, the major flier of that route to most African cities and countries. This is in sad contrast to its continued flights to European and Arabian countries.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by MaJBlige(f): 1:02pm On Feb 02, 2011
I wish and pray these critics get caught up in this type of situation one day soon.
Re: Jonathan Orders Immediate Evacuation Of Nigerians In Egypt - Nta by Tunmi(f): 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2011
It's not a matter of one man's life is more precious than the other.

Does anyone have any correspondence with the Nigerians in Egypt?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Am I The Only One Watching The AIT Expository On Lagos Government And Tinubu? / Official: Jonathan Wins Ekiti State / Nigerians In Total Shock As Buhari’s Secret Letters To Judges Leak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.