Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community (400 Views)

Bandits Release 7 Victims To Raise Over N20m Ransom For Others In FCT / Kalu Donates Security Vehicles To Police, Urges Nigerians To Embrace Farming / EFCC Chairman, Bawa, Sentenced To Kuje Prison For Disobedience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by Kosiso12(f): 11:48am On Jul 01, 2020
Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community

By Philip Odion:

I was compelled to write about what Senator (Dr.) Orji Uzor Kalu did for Kuje Prison because I witnessed a bit of it. My cousin is currently in Kuje prison as an inmate. Also, my townsman is a prison officer in Kuje. Through the two, I was able to get the details of the event that I now share with you.

I had gone to Kuje to deliver food to my cousin. As I was being searched at their front desk area, preparatory to letting me into the complex, suddenly, Senator Kalu arrived. There were some heightened activities and movements signalling that an important government official had arrived. The warder in charge of the arrival hall quickly waved me to a corner and motioned for me to be quiet and to wait for the August guest to be received. The Officer in Charge of the Prison and other prison officers came out to receive the Senator. They all went into the office. Then I heard the warders saying among themselves that Senator Kalu had come to inspect the solar electric power he installed for the prison. This happened last weekend.

As I sat in the waiting area for my cousin to be called out, I saw the Senator, led by the Officer in Charge and followed by other officers, all going into the prison yard. When my cousin came out to meet me, I asked him what was going on. By then the Senator was already inside the yard and I could hear the loud shouts of excitement as the inmates and warders were jubilating and calling the Senator's name. My cousin explained to me why everybody was excited.

I learnt that since December last year when Senator Kalu arrived in the prison, he practically changed the lives of the inmates in every conceivable way. He paid the legal fees of scores of inmates. He helped many more to perfect the conditions of their bails and to regain their freedom. Every inmate with a problem only needed for the Senator to hear his problem and something would be done to help. He fed inmates. He paid for medicine for those who were sick. Before Senator Kalu arrived in prison, the prison community had electricity between 7pm and 11pm each day. But right immediately after he arrived, he increased the time they had electricity. He paid for electricity from 3pm to 7pm and 11pm to 1am. It is important to note that the Senator had a private generator that supplied power 24/7 to his area. He just wanted to help the inmates and staff of the prison by more than doubling the duration for which they had electricity.

Even before he left the prison on 3rd June, 2020, Senator Kalu had initiated a solar power project for the prison, by way of a lasting solution to the electricity supply. It was initially considered an inmates-financed project. But the cost was a whooping 27 million naira. It was considered too exorbitant and was nearly abandoned. But the Senator surprised everybody. You would think that once he left the prison, he would forget the people in prison. But not Senator Orji Uzor Kalu. He came back and paid 21 million naira toward the solar project. Olisah Metuh, Jolly Nyame and a couple of other inmates paid the remaining 6 million naira.

From this project, Senator Kalu has demonstrated four distinct qualities. He is generous. He is a man of honor that will keep his word even when the circumstances change. He is a very generous person. He remains an exceedingly wealthy man irrespective of the massive disruptions his businesses suffered due to the fake conviction and imprisonment he endured for 6 months. Orji Uzor Kalu is a man who will go to any extent to help those in need.

As my townsman further confirmed, the staff of the prison are hearing that the Senator is contemplating some further measures that will dramatically transform and modernize the Nigerian justice system from top to bottom. He is planning a total reformation of the justice system in Nigeria and everybody will benefit from it.

To add, the Senator is a simple man. He doesn't seem to like a lot of ceremonies or attention. The prison had already enjoyed the solar power for over a week before he came to inspect it. And he came unannounced and with only one of his aides. His visit lasted less than 25 minutes and he was gone.

Now every custody in Kuje Prison has power, DSTV and the ability to pump water 24/7. (Yes, he paid for the DSTV for inmates and the prison clinic till the end of the year). The clinic, the church, the mosque and the library now all have electricity 24/7, thanks to Senator Orji Uzor Kalu.

As he was leaving the prison, I tried to get close to him to get his business card. No way: a mean-looking warder told me to sit down and finish with my cousin, as if he knew what was on my mind and was determined to frustrate it. Anyway, it was quite interesting to witness all that.

Source : https://igberetvnews.com/1356592/sen-orji-kalu-donates-solar-power-worth-n20m-kuje-prison-community/

Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by EngrMarve(m): 11:52am On Jul 01, 2020
Lol, he was there
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by alexsoftwork(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2020
They will never do something meaningful if they don't experience it themselves. Yeye political fowls. Na one drop of him looted funds him use anyways. U can do the same with aba roads.
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by SmartProf(m): 11:57am On Jul 01, 2020
That's how to contribute as an Alumni member. He is now their patron...Up next is to make him the senate house committee chairman on Prisons

2 Likes

Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by hisgrace090: 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2020
The wise are ever ready to right wrongs.
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by SaintBeehot(m): 12:07pm On Jul 01, 2020
cool the Bros Don test as The stuff be, kind gesture from him though.
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by Eryyy92: 12:08pm On Jul 01, 2020
may be he's preparing for his next visit
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by BlackfireX: 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
My chairman, no one can pull you down...

Bring your own criminals( tinubuSW , gandollar North) and condemn, before I will bring mine
Re: Sen. Orji Kalu Donates Solar Power Worth Over N20m To Kuje Prison Community by Mynd44: 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2020

(1)

Edo 2020: Ganduje, Caught On Video Collecting ‘bribe,’ Heads APC Campaign / Obaseki Spends N25bn On Pension In 4 Years, N4bn Clearing Arrears - Report / Woman Goes Amok At A Supermarket When She Was Asked To Wear A Face Mask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.