Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! (1317 Views)

BREAKING: Buhari Picks Amaechi As His Running Mate? / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? / Would Consider Tunde Bakare As The Martin Luther King Jr. Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by PapaBrowne(m): 8:29pm On Jan 31, 2011
[size=14pt]OFFICIAL: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate, Calls For End To Serial Violence[/size]

The presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC),Gen Muhamadu Buhari has picked fiery preacher; Pastor Gbolahan Babatunde Bakare as his running mate for the 2011 presidential election as the deadline for nomination of candidates expires today.

The frontline runner for the highest political office in the land hinged his choice on the need to put the best feet forward in what promises to be a decisive political challenge for the soul of Nigeria.

"We have seen the uncommon enthusiasm of our people to register to vote in spite of the many challenges of the exercise, that speaks to their desire to do what Tunisians and Egyptians are doing on the streets through the ballot box in April.
There is a compelling need to give them a ticket that will make all their sacrifices worth the while and that is what we have done” he said.

General Buhari also condemns the wave of serial violence in Borno,Plateau and other parts of the country which have left casualties in it's trail and with the Federal Government appearing totally helpless.

"It is sad that these dastardly acts are taking place without any coordinated response from the government to guarantee the safety of lives and property.

A responsible leadership must not agonize over the virtual breakdown of security in parts of the country, it must organize the security system to deal with the situation first and create the atmosphere for social justice to flourish to end the conditions that make citizens to let loose against each other".

While condoling with the Borno State Government and people as well as all those who have lost loved ones in these pockets of violence, General Buhari sues for peace among all Nigerians and called on the government to sit up and bring an end to this palpable state of insecurity.

On the unfounded allegation by Jigawa State Governor, Alhaji Sule Lamido that his supporters are responsible for a hate text message circulating after the PDP primaries,Geneneral Buhari said it is regrettable that some people can't appreciate that certain offices require a high degree of responsibility in utterances.

"What evidence has he got to say that the text came from any of my supporters? Has he gone to the service providers and they told him the text originated from a phone traceable to anyone who is my supporter? I condemn any attempt to spread hate among Nigerians but I suspect this may be a mischief from our opponents who cannot face issues but dwell only on weeping up emotions.And it may appear that the governor may be aware of those behind this hatchet job"

General Buhari added that he has never been involved in the zoning debate because the Federal Republic of Nigeria with all the people within no matter how they talk to God is his constituency."Those who don't want the progress of our people have spent fortunes over the years to raise silly propaganda about me.I have been around for some years and vie challenged them to bring out one person I ever discriminated against based on faith but they are yet to take up the challenge. They should continue to tell lies about me just as I will continue to tell the truths about them" He insisted that the weapons that worked for them in the past will not produce this time around.

"We will force them to discuss issues. They must explain why poverty has increased from 45 per cent in 1999 to 76 percent in 2011 in spite of unprecedented revenue under the PDP Government. Nigerians want to know how we got to a situation where 98 per cent of our children now fail NECO examinations whereas we had 54 per cent pass in WAEC examinations in 1999.The Global Financial Integrity recently reported that an average of $15b left the shores of Nigeria in illicit transfers in the eight years it surveyed under PDP rule"

‘ Yinka Odumakin
Spokesperson to General Buhari

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/official-buhari-picks-bakare-running-matecalls-end-serial-violence
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by PapaBrowne(m): 8:34pm On Jan 31, 2011
Very radical combo!!

Two religious extremists in an extremely religious country!!Would have been a technical knockout, but for the timing. . .2011 is a year of Goodluck to all Nigerians!!
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by temmytanny(m): 8:45pm On Jan 31, 2011
am very disappointed that bakare in venturing into politics. i respect him no more
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by TCD: 8:48pm On Jan 31, 2011
Wishing them the best of luck.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by TCD: 8:56pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

am very disappointed that bakare in venturing into politics. i respect him no more

What is wrong with a pastor venturing into politics? Evil prevails because good people stand one side and and refuse to do nothing about it.

If you lose respect for a man based on his desire to change the lives and destiny of 150 million people positively then my brother I'm sorry to say your reapect is worth sh.it.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by temmytanny(m): 8:59pm On Jan 31, 2011
I will remind you when his name is being dragged in the mud, sh.it or not
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by dustydee: 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

what is wrong with him going into politics? David was a man after God's heart and yet he was a king.how long shall the good standby and let the bad lead US?
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by TCD: 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

At least he rolled up his sleeves and got in there to fight. What are you doing? Sitting in your church and praying God should bless you alone in the midst of misery?
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by dustydee: 9:07pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

as a pastor in Nigeria he should be used to that by now. How many pastors in Nigeria have been accused of wrong doing? But life must go on.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 31, 2011
The Fall of Bakare. The Devil finally got him. It is an irony that he preyed to God but devil answered.
I sympathize with Buhari coz he can't win this time. It should have happened before but too bad he have no place in Nigerian politics again. We would need you as an opposition. I respect him but not happy he is still wasting his money he worked hard for. We are finally going to bury political carriers of some old men and looters giving us problem. And i say
bye bye IBB
bye bye Atiku
bye bye Caromo
bye bye Buhari (in advance)
bye bye Bakare (no apology to what ever befell u).
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by dustydee: 9:10pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

as a pastor in Nigeria he should be used to that by now. How many pastors in Nigeria have been accused of wrong doing? But life must go on.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by naso2(m): 9:16pm On Jan 31, 2011
Laff just dey catch me. Abeg who dey laugh with me?

Well I wish them GOODLUCK.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Gbawe: 9:17pm On Jan 31, 2011
temmytanny:

Some of you should calm down with this undemocratic talk. If another adult makes a personal choice he is fully entitled to make who are you to condemn him? You may state that you don't think his choice is a wise one but it is very high-handed to say you lost respect for him based on his choice considering he has made a very brave decision out of patriotism while many of us , myself included , sit on the sideline passing comments.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by yeswecan(m): 9:25pm On Jan 31, 2011
I reserve my comment
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 31, 2011
He is an opportunist.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by proudly9ja(m): 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2011
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by naso2(m): 9:41pm On Jan 31, 2011
Gbawe:

Some of you should calm down with this undemocratic talk. If another adult makes a personal choice he is fully entitled to make who are you to condemn him? You may state that you don't think his choice is a wise one but it is very high-handed to say you lost respect for him based on his choice considering he has made a very brave decision out of patriotism [size=14pt]while many of us , myself included , sit on the sideline passing comments. [/size]

Haba you dey try na. ACN's e-image maker. Abeg no blame yourself.

But Gbawe u self no say with dis uncoordinated approach from the opposition, na walkover dis election go be for my bros GEJ grin grin
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Gekko(m): 9:43pm On Jan 31, 2011
BUHARI/BAKARE > GOODLUCK/SAMBO
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by marvix(m): 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2011
kenis:

The Fall of Bakare. The Devil finally got him. It is an irony that he preyed to God but devil answered.
I sympathize with Buhari coz he can't win this time. It should have happened before but too bad he have no place in Nigerian politics again. We would need you as an opposition. I respect him but not happy he is still wasting his money he worked hard for. We are finally going to bury political carriers of some old men and looters giving us problem. And i say
bye bye IBB
bye bye Atiku
bye bye Caromo
bye bye Buhari (in advance)
bye bye Bakare (no apology to what ever befell u).

You were right on spot but let me add this combination will only make Jonathans victory in 2011 even sweeter, because he would have won worthy opponets not like the walkover he had over Atiku, this contest will really test our democracy.

For all who dont know Jonathan can never lose in a first round election in this country the best bet the Buhari/Bakare can get is to force Jonathan into a runoff and if they get that far we must all congratulate them.

I look forward to a wonderful campaign and electioneering period I say let the best man win but my vote definitely goes to Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!!!
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by soldee: 10:26pm On Jan 31, 2011
Buhari/Bakare will take NE, NW, SW in aclean sweep

GEJ/Sambo will take SS, SE easily

NC is dicey. Kwara, Niger and Kaduna will vote Buhari, Benue and Kogi will vote GEJ. Plateau can go anyway
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Beaf: 10:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
soldee:

Buhari/Bakare will take NE, NW, SW in aclean sweep

GEJ/Sambo will take SS, SE easily

NC is dicey. Kwara, Niger and Kaduna will vote Buhari, Benue and Kogi will vote GEJ. Plateau can go anyway

Bakare has no political legs in the SW (apart from some Latter Rain peeps), so forget about Buhari doing anything in the SW, that field is gonna be a battle between GEJ and Tinubu's boys. Kwara and Kaduna (Sambo's home state) along with the Middle Belt and some North Eastern states like Bornu, Bauchi, Jigawa will go GEJ's way.

Buhari will win in 4 or 5 core Northern states and that will be it.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On Jan 31, 2011
By asking Bakare to be his running mate, this man is likely guaranteeing he will get at least 50% of the Christian vote from the south.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by WackyJ1(m): 10:40pm On Jan 31, 2011
dustydee:

what is wrong with him going into politics? David was a man after God's heart and yet he was a king.how long shall the good standby and let the bad lead US?  
It was God that ordained david right from time to be king. Bakare may not have received any confirmation from God, added the fact that he's running besides a moslem. Both are going to fail woefully and then the man of God will go and recover his roots
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by soldee: 10:44pm On Jan 31, 2011
@ Beaf
No NE state will vote GEJ going by their overwhelming muslim majority.

Jigawa is old Kano state, forget GEJ taking the state

Kaduna has a 2/3rds hausa muslim majority, not even Sambo can give GEJ Kd

Kwara has overwhelmingly turned its back on PDP and don't forget that's Idiagbons home state, they already have a soft spot for Buhari
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Jan 31, 2011
WackyJ1:

It was God that ordained david right from time to be king. Bakare may not have received any confirmation from God, added the fact that he's running besides a moslem. Both are going to fail woefully and then the man of God will go and recover his roots

Are you serious that you have no clue how BRAINLESS the above really comes off? What ARROGANCE? What AUTHORITY do you have to JUDGE another man's calling in such a way? I am sorry but it is people like you that give christianity a bad name.

Simply say you do not support Bakare, not go into some brainless rambling putting YOURSELF in the middle in deciding the man's callings. YUKC!
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by Ibime(m): 11:16pm On Jan 31, 2011
Buhari lost the election when he refused to partner with Action Congress. It seems he may be content with local champion status.

The leprous fingers of the PDP cannae be defeated with mere panadol. All these Buhari, Ribadu, Momodu, Utomi etc need to either consolidate into one, or concede defeat sharp sharp.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:20pm On Jan 31, 2011
A hard line muslim; popular for an utterance he can never retract - strong inclination towards islamising nigeria! Marries Social critic, a lawyer, shepherd of a vibrant flock, and a self acclaimed Moses of our time who would not, (even with a spoon as long and as far as the Heaven is from the Earth) dine with a muslim(save for preaching salvation and putting it to Buhari that 'There is no other name given in heaven and on earth by which man can be saved except by the name of JESUS). Mumfasa the wise monkey in Lion King, only saw a chip off the iceberg when he asked the gods if they were crazy, and if they knew what they were doing when an unholy marriage was to be consumated in the animal kingdom of the Lions. This is neither a cartoon series, a scripted drama or even an animal kingdom cinema; This is live! Hey!!! These gods have really gone gaga this time!!!!!!! I see the 9th wonder of the world playing out in Nigeria. But if the shepherd be stricken, the sheep is scattered like sheep without a sgepherd! To your tents oh later rain assemly! The crystal ball is showing me that Israel and Iran would soon team up as necking and legging lovers, to destroy America! The gods have spoken.

THIS IS UNHOLY MARRIAGE
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by violent(m): 11:20pm On Jan 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

By asking Bakare to be his running mate, this man is likely guaranteeing he will get at least 50% of the Christian vote from the south.

I think your assumptions and expectations are far too stretched in this case.  

Most Christians, using myself and many of my friends as appropriate case study, have an unwritten understanding that politics and Christianity should never mix. I believe this opinion is shared by many others, and can be well inferred from Chris Okotie's case studies.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by maga1: 11:24pm On Jan 31, 2011
Beaf:

Bakare has no political legs in the SW (apart from some Latter Rain peeps), so forget about Buhari doing anything in the SW, that field is gonna be a battle between GEJ and Tinubu's boys. Kwara and Kaduna (Sambo's home state) along with the Middle Belt and some North Eastern states like Bornu, Bauchi, Jigawa will go GEJ's way.

Buhari will win in 4 or 5 core Northern states and that will be it.

i think you are mistaking the main election 4 some PDP primaries. Mind you this election is not decided by those useless 'for sale' delegates. I stay in d NE & i'll tell u dat u quote the wrong states (BAUCHI & BORNO), JIGAWA NW. These states are 'strongly' likely to vote in CPC 4rm d Governor to the state house of reps. There4 dont have high hopes on GEJ here. I know what is on ground.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by mbulela: 11:25pm On Jan 31, 2011
Ibime:

Buhari lost the election when he refused to partner with Action Congress. It seems he may be content with local champion status.

The leprous fingers of the PDP can not be defeated with mere panadol. All these Buhari, Ribadu, Momodu, Utomi etc need to either consolidate into one, or concede defeat sharp sharp.
i owe you a chilled bottle of Grand lager.
this comment of yours is the end of discussion QED.
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by MAYOWAAK: 12:02am On Feb 01, 2011
violent:

I think your assumptions and expectations are far too stretched in this case.  

Most Christians, using myself and many of my friends as appropriate case study, have an unwritten understanding that politics and Christianity should never mix. I believe this opinion is shared by many others, and can be well inferred from Chris Okotie's case studies.

Who told u that religion and politics don't mix? Where did u get that? I'm sure u couldn't see where the bible says that if leadership is left for the wicked, there is bound to be groanings in the society but when the righteous are in power,the citizenry rejoices
Re: It's Official: Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate! by WackyJ1(m): 12:18am On Feb 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Are you serious that you have no clue how BRAINLESS the above really comes off? What ARROGANCE? What AUTHORITY do you have to JUDGE another man's calling in such a way? I am sorry but it is people like you that give christianity a bad name.

Simply say you do not support Bakare, not go into some brainless rambling putting YOURSELF in the middle in deciding the man's callings. YUKC!
Kobojunkie:

What irony see who is talking about brainless rambling. I did say may not not have received confirmation from God and also considering the fact the he's joining with a Moslem. I'm not judging, i'm stating my belief that they are going to fail. Which will be adequate proof. So back off.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drivers Complain Low Patronage In Aregbesola's Oshogbo / How Gov. Sylva Fleeces Bayelsa. Ol'boy see how retardinho allow dis to finish that state. / What If Buhari Had Won; Will Boko Haram Still Be Terrorizing Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.