Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:49 AM

Once Upon An Evening. A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Once Upon An Evening. A Short Story. (371 Views)

Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Once Upon An Evening. A Short Story. by Aquilinae: 6:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
The sweat beaded on Toluwalase's forehead could not sufficiently amplify the pressure she was going through.

What if they don't send me the invite? Even Wande with just a BSC has been invited for the interview, I've a Masters degree for crying out loud! What exactly are the qualifications? Is it because I smiled a bit in my passport? Or did I apply too early? Realising she could go crazy if she dwelt on these thoughts, she picked her phone and dashed out of her house. Scratch that.. it's Wande's.. she's actually a squatter paying rent by doing all the house chores. How would she have afforded a rent in Maryland? It the closest to her place of work, if not she would have considered staying in a cheaper environment. The cool evening breeze helped clearing her head a bit. Walking down the street, the stress of the week dawned on her and tears slipped from her eyes. She's definitely not a cry baby but she could not stop the tears from coming. This happens whenever she's stressed. God! I need some help down here, you promise to give incentives when situation like this arises. Without thinking, she turned to sit on a pavement not too far from her house.

"Good evening."

A deep voice spuned her out of thoughts. Turning to her left ,she realised she wasn't the only one seated. At this point, she doesn't care who is seated next to her considering the fact that she had enough on her desk.

"Good evening"

She replied politely. At first, she couldn't see the person clearly because tears blurred her sight, but somehow the person's frame seemed familiar. Almost immediately, she recognised him as the nice looking ajebo guy she had been 'eying one kind like that'. She jokily concluded God was finally giving her the incentive he promised, with that, a smile escaped her lips.

I will make rivers in desert, just for you my love.
She turned sharply "did you say anything?"
She heard a voice so soft and at the same time, strong.

"No, I didn't say anything" He answered, raising his brows a little.

The joy that filled her soul radiated on her face. It's a dream come through, she had always wanted to hear God audibly.

"You hear him too?"

This guy's voice seemed to be an alarm bringing her back to planet earth, but with this question, she would gladly welcome this alarm. He's not only a Christian but he hears God too, what more could she ask for?

"Yes I do, but it's a little different this time" she answered him with the best soprano voice she could utter "I have always wanted to hear him like this, why now that I'm not even asking?"

He smiled. "God knows the perfect time for everything, he knows how much you need it now." He looked at her as if wanting to say more. "Going through hard times, huh?" He said finally.

"Well, you could say that."

Normally, Tolu is a very secretive person especially on personal issues, but this time, her mouth switched places with her mind. It gave the gory details of the job interview palava to a perfect stranger! She doesn't even know his name! Somehow, she felt she could trust him. She went as far as telling him of her futile job hunts, how she went for my Masters thinking it would give her an edge, only for it to get her a job paying 30k per month and just last week she was fired because the company couldn't pay all their workers. Tolu told him how her future and family depends on the government job she applied for. She paused when tears were about dropping, she can't afford to embrass herself and Mr Stranger.

"It's okay, you can cry"

It was as if this words held the key to the gate of her tears as they came rushing down. She cried almost shamelessly. She felt his hand on her hand, comforting her in the best way it could.

"You just heard him right? It means one thing, he loves you and he's definitely going to make rivers, even in the desert."

If it was a normal day, she would have screamed mad oh!

"This was exactly the same thing he said to me!" She said. As a Christian she understood better, it was a confirmation.

"Well, this is God confirming his words" he said smiling.

God! This is more than enough incentive, thank you. She said within her.

"Thanks for listening, I'm so sorry for bothering.."

"Oh, it's no bother, I promise." He interrupted "I'm glad I could help. I'm Tife....Boluwatife.
"
Finally! I got a name to the voice and face. "I'm Toluwalase."

"Nice meeting you, finally."

"Finally?"

God! He isn't a stalker right? Or no! Probably he also noticed me the way I noticed him. Various thoughts raided her head.

"Yes, finally." He grinned.

Thank God for street light, she could see him clearly. He had one of the most beautiful smile she had seen.

"I've been seeing you around, and I have been curious, It's nice finally getting to talk to you"

"Nice meeting you. I've seen you around too, mostly on Saturday jogging past my house."
She said hoping he wouldn't think she was stalking him.

"Keeping fit is good health."

It was after he said this, that she noticed how fit he really was; biceps, broaden chest and all that.

"Well, I don't think I would love to run up and down when no one is chasing, considering the fact that I have no fat to burn."
Tolu said sarcastically. Tife laughed! She's not a funny person, but she sure knows how to keep a person company.

Seconds went by, minutes crawled into hours, street lights showed its usefulness as darkness occupied the territory. All those times, they talked about different topics ranging from sports, politics, religion, faith, science... They laughed, got serious at some point and laughed again. Somehow, the gap between them was bridged. Spying her wristwatch, it was past 11! She couldn't believe she spent close to four hours with a person she just met. People were still walking around, of course it's expected in a city where people don't sleep.

"You are past your bed time?" He said jokingly.

He probably saw her checking her wristwatch. With the few hours she had spent with him, she realised one thing, Tife is not insensitive, he picks things easily. Just when she was about to give him a sarcastic comeback, her phone beeped. She wanted to ignore thinking it was her service provider, she had once joked about dating MTN due to the incessant messages from them.On a second thought, she checked. Lo and behold! It was the interview message.

"Tife! I've gotten the text! The interview text message." She said with so much joy.

"Oh my! God is good" stretching his hands to congratulate her "congratulations!"

He said with that beautiful smile of his. At that moment, doubt like spider crept in, her joy wasn't full. He noticed the sudden change in her demeanor, "What's wrong Tolu, are you okay?"

"What if I don't pass the interview, what if I don't get employed?" She muttered.

"You worry too much Tolu. Let me remind you in case you've forgotten, God just spoke to you hours ago and he expressed his undying love for you. He doesn't say a thing without it being done. Just chill, wait and pray. He loves you."
Those words were cold water to her thirsty soul.

"Thank you, Tife." The words came out faster than she wanted.

He nodded.

"Um, I think you should start prepping for the interview"

"Yeah, right."

"Erm..I know you aren't really interested in keeping fit but it's something you should try out" he said slightly scratching his head. "You could join me on Saturday, it will be fun, I promise."

"All right, I shall wait at the front of my gate this Saturday" she said, grinning sheepishly.

"What time?" Tife asked.

"6am is fine?"

"6am it is" he replied smiling.

"Let me walk you home."

As they walked home, she was sure of one thing, she doesn't find him boring. She doesn't hate him too. She had never been in love and she felt it was too early to call this love despite the sweet sensations serenading her stomach. But she definitely loved hanging out with this guy.

"This is me" she said on getting to her house.

She noticed fairly dim light in her apartment and figured Wande is home.

"It was really nice meeting you, Tolu. See ya on Saturday." He said this, taking his leave with his two hands in pockets.

"See ya."

Entering her house, she realised many things happened in a single evening: She thought all hope was lost, she heard God audibly, she met Tife who she might really like. She came to the conclusion that God is forever faithful.

"God is able who wouldn't not suffer thee to be tempted above that which you are able..." As she recalled that verse of the Bible, an unusual assurance enveloped her. And she told herself, even if she doesn't get the job, God will always take care of her, because he's forever faithful.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Our Lives / Fiction: I Traced My Step - Sister's Kidnap And Discovered Who Was Responsible. / The Job Applicant by Precifix Non-Explicit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.