Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture (290 Views)

Son Squanders N2m Raised For Father's Burial, Abandons Corpse In Mortuary / Lady Advises Nigerian Women To Allow Their Husbands Cheat, Have Sex Outside / 6 Problematic Things That Nigerian Men Have Been Raised To Believe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by coputa(m): 3:37pm On Jul 02, 2020
So many peole left their home in search for greener pastures and they eventually settled outside their village,where they started a family.These children,may grow up not knowing where they came from,if the parents do not take them home to learn how to speak his language,know his people and culture.this may affect them in future in many ways,because,one day a man must go home,whether you like it or not.another man's iand is not your own.
Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by Juliusmomoh: 3:44pm On Jul 02, 2020
Blood is ticker than water #case closed
Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by sisisioge: 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2020
Hmmm...your culture is your way of life. Your children will learn it from you: language, practice, beliefs, etc...it doesn't necessarily reside in your village. Itz a simple sturv grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by coputa(m): 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2020
sisisioge:
Hmmm...your culture is your way of life. Your children will learn it from you: language, practice, beliefs, etc...it doesn't necessarily reside in your village. Itz a simple sturv grin
It is much more than speaking your language.breaking of kolanut by elders during marriage n burial ceremonies,how elders perform rites during important ceremonies and their significance.Senior go reach you one day o.
Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2020
coputa:
So many peole left their home in search for greener pastures and they eventually settled outside their village,where they started a family.These children,may grow up not knowing where they came from,if the parents do not take them home to learn how to speak his language,know his people and culture.this may affect them in future in many ways,because,one day a man must go home,whether you like it or not.another man's iand is not your own.

- you can speak your mother tongue at home with the kids so they learn it
- you can immerse yourself in your native culture and surround yourself with native culture items, even while living away
- there is absolutely nothing wrong with going away from the village and never return there

but your main failure in this issue is to understand that these children born and raise "away" dont give a damn about going home because their home is not the village any longer (thats only their parents home). expecting someone who was born in the city to move back to the village because A) thats where their parents came from and/or B) you believe that its their home.... is the joke of the day!

i wasnt born in Nigeria, my parents are Nigerians, i fully well know my African culture/background, i would definitely live in Nigeria someday (for the business opportunities) BUT that would never be my home nor my land... thats only the land of my ancestors. funny enough, my DNA test confirmed that my ancestors came from Nigeria/Ethiopia and even India etc. should i now move to these places too because thats my ancestors land?!

i know many US/European born blacks who gladly want to go and settle in Africa, and i also know many who wont even try it because they dont need to. many Nigerians have a better life abroad and many are also suffering abroad... expecting all of them to return to Nigeria because thats where they were born, shows us you misunderstand the whole issue. many of these people can help Nigeria/Africa without stepping a foot there. many dont give a damn about going back to the village, many of these people can feel their culture/blackness without setting a foot in Africa.

my kids are second generation born black Europeans, and their kids will be a 3rd generation born black/mixed Europeans... and as much as i would love them to know and understand their African culture, their mothers are A) not Nigerian, B) some of their mothers are just like me, Black European (Senegal/Madagascar)... while C) some of their mothers are white Europeans. expecting these kids to suddenly feel Africans while they dont feel African (just because their grandfather/grandmother was born in Africa) is impossible. they have different cultures and should embrace them ALL while deciding (on their own) who they want to assimilate with. nobody can force a child to be who they dont believe they are.
Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by merieam16(f): 10:33pm On Jul 02, 2020
This is actually referring to does dat doesnt teach der kids der culture. Imagine a child of 18years nd above replyin his/ her parent with english wen d parent is communicating with d dialect.

Too much of d western culture is gradually bringing our own tradition 2 extinction
Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by frozen70(f): 11:05pm On Jul 02, 2020
coputa:

Children are supposed to be rajen home to their village at least once in five years

But because the parents doesn't have regards for their culture and the cist of the trip, they ignore it and suffer the emotional pains while alive but at a very wrong time

It gives children time to know to know their cousins, grand parents, uncle and auntie

It's ajways helpful on the long run

For those who cares, long vacation is the best time to take then home

Less transport fares and longer holiday period

1 Like

Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by kodix(m): 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2020
Who culture and traditions,language don help,abeg is better you wake up,what matters on this earth is to be in a place that gives you joy and a better living.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by lilmax(m): 12:20am On Jul 03, 2020
How has the culture, language gave Nigeria an edge?

Only killed Nigeria with illiteracy

I don't want to hear anything about language in my house, when you get to your own house you set your rules

But mine? NO

1 Like

Re: How Can A Child Raised Outside The Town/village Know His People And Culture by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:30am On Jul 03, 2020
merieam16:
This is actually referring to does dat doesnt teach der kids der culture. Imagine a child of 18years nd above replyin his/ her parent with english wen d parent is communicating with d dialect.

Too much of d western culture is gradually bringing our own tradition 2 extinction

there is nothing wrong with a child replying in English when spoken in local dialect.... it means that child understands the local language fully well but decides to reply in the language he is more comfortable with. if you havent spoken to that child in local dialect all their lives (nor expected such reply when he/she was younger) you cant expect them to suddenly enjoy speaking these dialects at 18.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Fenugreek And Rosemary Water Spray For Longer And Thicker Hair / Bale Sharing-female Thrift Wears / Governor Seyi Makinde Of Oyo State Looses Mom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.