Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,756 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings (810 Views)

Stop Looking For Work. Start Online Virtual A Job On Upwork - Token Training / How To Stop Looking For Job And Create One / Stop Looking For A Job And Start This Business With Just 10k Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2020
We once wrote a post on avoiding cultivation of friendships in professional settings. Yes, there are no friends in professional settings, only associates, some closer than others.

We know there are lots of stuff in popular culture that might make one doubt the possibility of having real friends in professional settings. However, we know that it is best to avoid making ‘friends’ in these settings.

At Lingo Africa, the foremost human capital development platform in Abuja, Nigeria, we always advise our clients to avoid friendships in professional settings.

The brutal truth is that any relationship formed in these settings, is mostly borne out of motives – newbies are concerned with how to climb the corporate ladder, executives are looking to mentor others, some to satisfy their ego, others to be altruistic and pass down knowledge to young ones, while some others are looking out for yes-men/women; those who will agree with everything they do or say, whether wrong or right.

It is better for you as a professional to be aware that when you leave yourself open for ‘friendships’ in professional settings, you could end up being used by those who know how to play the corporate game.

No matter where you work or what you aspire to be, always hold your head high and believe in yourself. Be polite and cordial with everyone. Never lose your temper with anyone. Train yourself to be the one who never raises his/her voice, no matter the provocation. Avoid gossips and backbiters.

Treat everyone the same and avoid expecting friendships from your work colleagues or those you work with on whatever level. They are not your friends, do not relate with them as friends, but work colleagues. Keep this in mind and you will never be a victim of corporate betrayal, like many others before you.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/professional-settings-are-not-for-developing-friendships/

Lingo Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by Kyngfarabale1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2020
I totally agree with you

no friend for jungle
lol

2 Likes

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by otipoju(m): 5:33pm On Jul 02, 2020
I've made a couple of life time friends on the job.
My mum is still friends with a couple of her colleagues after she retired 20 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2020
smiley
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 1:31pm On Jul 03, 2020
wink
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 5:40am On Jul 04, 2020
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by enemachris(m): 9:18am On Jul 04, 2020
I don't really agree with this, I have made friends in a professional setting who are more like my family today. Though what works for my u might not work for the other person.

1 Like

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 5:40am On Jul 05, 2020
cheesy
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by dhope: 8:27am On Jul 05, 2020
Experience differs at different workplaces but it's very important to be cautious of the OP advice when u're just employed to work with new people. Friendship is not encouraged in average work environment in this clime especially if it's a place where money flows in and out directly or indirectly like awarding contracts etc (I have my reasons for these). My God saves us from daredevil people.

1 Like

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 12:21pm On Jul 05, 2020
angry
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 1:30pm On Jul 05, 2020
tongue
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by MissW: 6:12pm On Jul 05, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

No matter where you work or what you aspire to be, always hold your head high and believe in yourself. Be polite and cordial with everyone. Never lose your temper with anyone. Train yourself to be the one who never raises his/her voice, no matter the provocation. Avoid gossips and backbiters.

Treat everyone the same and avoid expecting friendships from your work colleagues or those you work with on whatever level. They are not your friends, do not relate with them as friends, but work colleagues. Keep this in mind and you will never be a victim of corporate betrayal, like many others before you.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/professional-settings-are-not-for-developing-friendships/

Lingo Africa.
I like this part. Kudos

1 Like

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 4:41am On Jul 06, 2020
MissW:

I like this part. Kudos

Thank you, Miss W!

1 Like

Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 8:56am On Jul 06, 2020
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 11:56am On Jul 06, 2020
undecided
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2020
kiss
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 6:32pm On Jul 10, 2020
cool
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 11:47am On Jul 12, 2020
cry
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2020
grin
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 1:54pm On Jul 23, 2020
smiley
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 3:22pm On Aug 08, 2020
cool
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 10:57am On Aug 18, 2020
embarassed
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 9:41am On Aug 27, 2020
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 9:29pm On Aug 28, 2020
cheesy
Re: Stop Looking For Friendships In Professional Settings by AbdulAkpan: 3:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
shocked

(1) (Reply)

DSS Exam And Interview / Workforce Aptitude Test For UAC FOODS / Nscdc Final List Is Out. Who Have Seen His/her Name Or Letter For Printing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.