Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) (1210 Views)

At What Age Did You Finish University? / This Is What Happens When An Astronaut’s Skin Is Exposed To Outer Space (photos) / School Reject Corper Due To Religious Differences - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by Xmuslim: 7:37am On Jul 06, 2020
IamMichael:

Hahahaha... 30yrs lol.

Some never mature mentally grin
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by Xmuslim: 8:05am On Jul 06, 2020
This law actually protect children from mental abuse.

However, most religious people believe that the only way to eternal pleasure is their own particular religion. They will do all in their capacity to teach their children the presumed one and only way to eternal joy.

A believer will not teach his children his faith only if he's agnostic about his religion.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IamMichael(m): 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2020
Xmuslim:

Some never mature mentally grin

True.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IamMichael(m): 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2020
Xmuslim:
This law actually protect children from mental abuse.

However, most religious people believe that the only way to eternal pleasure is their own particular religion. They will do all in their capacity to teach their children the presumed one and only way to eternal joy.

A believer will not teach his children his faith only if he's agnostic about his religion.

It does, but not a little of people are aware of it.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IMAliyu(m): 9:32pm On Jul 06, 2020
How do you suggest this becomes enforced then? In a non Orwellian manner.

I still plan on exposing my children to religion and culture, but not only that together with philosophy, contrary religious views and cultures, and tools for critical thought if possible from the age they can understand stories. When they grow up, and choose to go their own way that's fine by me.
I won't force religion down their throats like my parents didn't to me (was super lucky), unlike some of my mates that were sent to islamiyya and were constantly beaten and made to memorize quran.
On the subject of beating, I don't believe in it and won't allow anyone to hit them, not a mallam or a teacher in school having had sadistic abusive teachers myself.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IamMichael(m): 12:37pm On Jul 07, 2020
IMAliyu:
How do you suggest this becomes enforced then? In a non Orwellian manner.

I still plan on exposing my children to religion and culture, but not only that together with philosophy, contrary religious views and cultures, and tools for critical thought if possible from the age they can understand stories. When they grow up, and choose to go their own way that's fine by me.
I won't force religion down their throats like my parents didn't to me (was super lucky), unlike some of my mates that were sent to islamiyya and were constantly beaten and made to memorize quran.
On the subject of beating, I don't believe in it and won't allow anyone to hit them, not a mallam or a teacher in school having had sadistic abusive teachers myself.
Wow!

You are one of the lucky few in this our part of the world their parents didn't force religion on. You are also an example that people who are not forced to subscribe to a particular religion will also grow up and allow their children experience such freedom.
This is wonderful because I learnt to dissociate myself from religion, and it was very hard. But, I'm free of that now, and i know the psychological impacts it can have on one's attitudes towards the world and everything in it.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IMAliyu(m): 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2020
IamMichael:

Wow!

You are one of the lucky few in this our part of the world their parents didn't force religion on. You are also an example that people who are not forced to subscribe to a particular religion will also grow up and allow their children experience such freedom.
This is wonderful because I learnt to dissociate myself from religion, and it was very hard. But, I'm free of that now, and i know the psychological impacts it can have on one's attitudes towards the world and everything in it.
I didn't exactly grow up without a religion, my family is Muslim and we did have a mallam that came to our house 2-3 days a week for 1-2hours to teach us how to recite Quran no shouting or beating similar to a lesson teacher which was pretty much it.
Things like how to perform the Muslim 5 daily prayers, and other parts of the religion I thought myself, by reading books from my dad's library after feeling that I had considerably inadequate knowledge of the religion compared to my friends.
My mother came from a mixed Muslim Christian family meaning a number of my family members had a different religion which made me considerably tolerant. Celebrate Salah in our house, and celebrate Christmas in my grandmother's house.
But in turn I was pretty much naive of the level of intolerance and religious zombie mentality out there, until I entered Uni and saw the true nature of things.

As a result of my personal experience, I don't have that much of a negative view of religion, despite being fully aware of it's pathology and flaws now.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Exposed To Religious Views? (national Discourse) by IamMichael(m): 1:32pm On Jul 07, 2020
IMAliyu:

I didn't exactly grow up without a religion, my family is Muslim and we did have a mallam that came to our house 2-3 days a week for 1-2hours to teach us how to recite Quran no shouting or beating similar to a lesson teacher which was pretty much it.
Things like how to perform the Muslim 5 daily prayers, and other parts of the religion I thought myself, by reading books from my dad's library after feeling that I had considerably inadequate knowledge of the religion compared to my friends.
My mother came from a mixed Muslim Christian family meaning a number of my family members had a different religion which made me considerably tolerant. Celebrate Salah in our house, and celebrate Christmas in my grandmother's house.
But in turn I was pretty much naive of the level of intolerance and religious zombie mentality out there, until I entered Uni and saw the true nature of things.

As a result of my personal experience, I don't have that much of a negative view of religion, despite being fully aware of it's pathology and flaws now.
That's very commendable bro. Discovering of self makes us more tolerant than everyone else because we understand exactly the point religious folks are coming from.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Things You Shouldn't Allow A Lecturer Know When School Resumes.. / Admission: Ekiti State Polytechnic, Isan-Ekiti / Uniport Transcript

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.