Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. (734 Views)

Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics / Primate Ayodele: South-East Won’t Get Presidency, Igbo Politicians Are Betrayals / Today Is January 15,Anniversary Of First Coup With Ethnic Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
This post link was shared by Igbochief001..... Pls other shud follow.. He claimed the 1966 coup was to bring awolowo into power...

Let's read

What do you think was wrong with the then government that instigated Nzeogwu to plan the coup?

The first thing was the census . There was no doubt that we were fed with wrong figures ; that was the major defect in the running of government then, Nzeogwu did not like it . Secondly , those who were in government then were not doing well enough . We had mismanagement of public funds, some of them were semi- illiterates . Although some of them meant well for the nation but not all of them . Since Nzeogwu grew up in the North he knew most of them . He could speak Hausa language fluently because he was born there and knew them very well . He didn’ t want a change in government simply because he wanted to kill northerners , it was those who came and supported his effort that did that . Not only that , he ended up putting Ironsi , an Igbo man, as the Head of State . It then looked as if he killed the Hausa soldiers and put an Igbo man there . This was why Brigadier -General Ogundipe did not succeed Ironsi . It was a sergeant that told Ogundipe that they were not going to take orders from him , that they would rather take orders from a captain who was a northerner instead of Ogundipe .
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 06, 2020
Constantjohn:
This post link was shared by Igbochief001..... Pls other shud follow.. He claimed the 1966 coup was to bring awolowo into power...

Let's read

What do you think was wrong with the then government that instigated Nzeogwu to plan the coup?

The first thing was the census . There was no doubt that we were fed with wrong figures ; that was the major defect in the running of government then, Nzeogwu did not like it . Secondly , those who were in government then were not doing well enough . We had mismanagement of public funds, some of them were semi- illiterates . Although some of them meant well for the nation but not all of them . Since Nzeogwu grew up in the North he knew most of them . He could speak Hausa language fluently because he was born there and knew them very well . He didn’ t want a change in government simply because he wanted to kill northerners , it was those who came and supported his effort that did that . Not only that , he ended up putting Ironsi , an Igbo man, as the Head of State . It then looked as if he killed the Hausa soldiers and put an Igbo man there . This was why Brigadier -General Ogundipe did not succeed Ironsi . It was a sergeant that told Ogundipe that they were not going to take orders from him , that they would rather take orders from a captain who was a northerner instead of Ogundipe .
Bros u dumb die

What's even your bone of contention ?

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/%3famp=1

Educate yourself

Now, from the same link u sent me, lemme Tutor u... I hope u listen boy. From the link u sent me oo

The coup seemed to have been targeted at military officers from a particular part of Nigeria and it was also tagged , ‘ Igbo Coup ’ . Why ?

It later turned out to be so, although all the six majors who plotted it were Igbos except one — Major Adegboyega from Remo, Ogun State
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2020
Arrewa Igbochief001 kinematics sageb see this ooo

I want to assure you that , that was not Nzeogwu ’s intention . As I told you , the coup was planned as far back as 1964 . Maybe between 1964 and end of 1965 , he changed his mind . I can ’t say why he did so but those that showed interest in the coup turned out to be Igbos . Even his utterances when the coup took place on January 15 , 1966 , showed that he didn’t mean it to be an Igbo affair but unfortunately, it turned out to be so that an Igbo man could also become the Head of State .

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by betx07: 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2020
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001, I always knew u r dumb... Thank God u posted this link I am using now....

U r not good at arguing, I av noticed that

Did he tell you that he planned the coup to become the Head of State ?

No . Infact what attracted me to Nzeogwu at the early stage when the coup was being planned was that I asked him if he was going to make himself the Head of State and he said no . He said he was going to bring a civilian who was more knowledgeable and who had what it took to make Nigeria great . I then asked him who that person was and he said the man was in Calabar prison . I said is it Chief Obafemi Awolowo ? He said yes . That was why I gave him my support but when he told me it was going to involve killings , I said no I was not interested again.
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001 u r not good at arguing.. I'm sure u didn't read this b4 u gave me the link

Sageb kinematics see ur Brother oo, he is so dumb men

Major kaduna deceived others that Awolowo will be the head of state but An igbo man became the HoS

What a cunny man
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 06, 2020
Constantjohn:

Now, from the same link u sent me, lemme Tutor u... I hope u listen boy. From the link u sent me oo

The coup seemed to have been targeted at military officers from a particular part of Nigeria and it was also tagged , ‘ Igbo Coup ’ . Why ?

It later turned out to be so, although all the six majors who plotted it were Igbos except one — Major Adegboyega from Remo, Ogun State
So this is all u could come up with to disprove they didn't plan to hand over to awolowo ?

Oboy ...

Firstly Igbo were by far the majority in the army then , kaduna was obj best friend hope u know ...in fact go n sleep
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 06, 2020
Few months after the first unsuccessful coup, General Ironsi was killed, what was going on in the military then ?

Before Ironsi was killed, he brought about a lot of changes in the structure of the country . At that time , we had a federation of three regions . He cancelled the regional arrangement that we were practising and people saw this as the idea of Igbo domination of Nigeria and that it would be a question of time that the prediction of an Igbo leader would be actualised. Many top Yorubas were killed but majority of those killed were northerners .

After this , an Igbo man was installed as the Head of State and this Igbo man surrounded himself with Igbo senior civil servants , who wrote most of the ideas for him , including the cancellation of the regional government , and adoption of the unitary government to the detriment of those people who thought otherwise.
In addition to that , there were many Igbo people in the North , and they were rejoicing. It would have been an easy thing if they had done that secretly . But for them , it was an occasion that the Sardauna was killed, they were telling the people in the North that ‘ we have killed your leaders and now we are in charge . ’ So it was annoying to the northerners . That type of thing did not happen in the West because not everybody supported Akintola . I am sure that if it was Awolowo that was killed, it would have been another story entirely in those days .

3 Likes

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001:

So this is all u could come up with to disprove they didn't plan to hand over to awolowo ?

Oboy ...

Firstly Igbo were by far the majority in the army then , kaduna was obj best friend hope u know ...in fact go n sleep

But u posted the links..
I am drawing all these from. The link u sent

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
Constantjohn:
Igbochief001 u r not good at arguing.. I'm sure u didn't read this b4 u gave me the link

Sageb kinematics see ur Brother oo, he is so dumb men

Major kaduna deceived others that Awolowo will be the head of state but An igbo man became the HoS

What a cunny man
Why are u posting this rubbish all over nairaland ..u dumb like hell
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2020
A Yoruba man defended an igbo man with his life

How did you feel when you heard about his death as a military officer then ?

When I learnt about his death , I felt very bad and sad as a military officer . I felt bad that a colleague of mine shouldn ’t have been treated or killed that way. As a Yoruba man, I felt proud that we had somebody who gave his life in an attempt to save his guest because that was what happened . He told those boys who came , the northern soldiers , that there was no way they could take Ironsi away because he was his guest . He was reported to have said that much . I am sure there were some people who would looked the other way when Ironsi was being taken away . You will find some Nigerians who would say that a Yoruba man looked the other way but he was not that type of person at all . He was brave, there ’s no doubt about that, he was one of the very brave soldiers we had then. He displayed bravery and valour in Congo and that was the reason he was awarded the Military Cross for his exceptional bravery in the face of enemies ’ fire . He was the first Nigerian to get a Military Cross .
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 06, 2020
All credit to Igbochief001 gringringrin
He posted the link
https://punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/

Arrewa derox welcome
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001:
Why are u posting this rubbish all over nairaland ..u dumb like hell
U sent it bro

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
Igbochief001:
Bros u dumb die
What's even your bone of contention ?
Thank u for asking.

Ur tribe said the main reason for the coup was to put a Yoruba man in power..
But it was the opposite.... An igbo man came in power..
Why the lies Bro??
U just wana make ur sef a saint and make others evil..
Chai

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 06, 2020
LegendHero:

Brother the man is mentally deranged. Anybody that says the coupist wanted to install Awolowo is mad.

Let me bring you back in time and I want you to judge this yourself whether the coupist wanted to install a Yoruba man Awolowo as their motive.

-Awolowo was jailed in 1963

- When the coupist struck, they made no provision to rescue Awolowo from prison. At least they should secure their main man first if that was their plan, or don't you think so?

-In October 1965 (2 month before Jan coup), Azikwe traveled to London on the claim that he was going for a medical treatment of an unknown illness. I have the video with me where he was departing and all the federal minister and Sir Balewa were at the airport to bid him goodbye. The video source is Reuters 1965.

- Before Azikwe left, he handed over to Senate President Nwafor Orizu as acting president. After Jan 1966 coup where other tribe leaders were murdered, Orizu after briefing zik on phone announced in a broadcast that his cabinet will voluntarily transfer power to the armed forces. Then he invited Ironsi to take over government.
The first image is the copy of the gazette where he invited Ironsi.

-Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi then made his own broadcast, accepting the "invitation". The gazette is also attached.

-After the coup. Azikwe flew back from Britain to the country in Feb 25, 1966 after his "Said" Illness has been treated. At this time, his other colleagues were already murdered and Ironsi is already Head of State. A coincidence that he came back just 7-8 weeks after the coup? I also have the video evidence with me.

- The Igbos made sure they are in position to get power irrespective of the coup outcome. If it succeeded, Ironsi take over, If it partially succeeded, Orizu take over in interim until Azikwe arrives. No matter how you spin it, it will still be the Igbos.

Even the Igbos do not deem it fit to release Awo from Prison until Gowon did. I also attach a gazette of Gowon ordering that.

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by GMBuhari: 10:26pm On Jul 06, 2020
You found a way to bring Awolowo into this nonsense àbí?

Well done

After your ancestors murdered the northerners, how much was in the emir's bank account?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 06, 2020
GMBuhari:
You found a way to bring Awolowo into this nonsense àbí?

Well done

After your ancestors murdered the northerners, how much was in the emir's bank account?

i

Lost jew.. Shut up.. No be ur mate dey here
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by DEROX: 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2020
Constantjohn:
All credit to Igbochief001 gringringrin

He posted the link

https://punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/

Arrewa derox welcome
All these can't change the northern and western ancient perception that it was an Igbo coup.Also read it the man said he met awolowo in 1964 at India to discuss while as at that time awolowo was in prison serving 10 yr jail term leave the igbochief to believe whatever he feels till this day northerners admit it was Igbo coup and keep tellk g their children same as yorubas so all these won't make any difference at all.Legendhero nailed it.
Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by Arrewa: 10:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
Nyamiriss distroyed this beautiful country with their greed and hatred.

They are nemesis of the problems of Nigeria!!

One Nyamirii is here trying to rewrite history and withewash his ancestors who because greed distroyed the solid foundation of this country!

After killing our people... They were celebrating and mocking us...

They they're now in charge...

We will never forget the killing of Sardauna and Abubakar Tafawa belewa!!

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by BlowYourMind: 11:07pm On Jul 06, 2020
Yeegbos are trying hard to twist history, the first coup was tagged Igbo coup

1 Like

Re: 1966 First Coup; Betrayals.. by sageb: 11:49pm On Jul 06, 2020
The first coup

(1) (Reply)

Throwback: When NPA MD Hadiza Bala Usman Was Leading Bringbackourgirls (BBOG) / Edo2020: “philip Shaibu Is Distressed, At The End Of His Political Career” – APC / Funds For Proteste's Prosthetic Limb Climaxes At 7.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.