Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics (1608 Views)

Photos From Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Burial / Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Is Dead; Anambra State Mourns (Photos) / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by gidgiddy: 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2023
Today marks two years since Colonel Emmanuel Nworah Nwobosi, the "Ogene Obosi", was buried in his hometown, Obosi, in Anambra State

Colonel Nwobosi was the last participant of the January 15 coup of 1966. He had been imprisoned in the East after the coup failed but was released after Ojukwu declared Biafra, and promoted to a Colonel in the Biafran Army. He led Biafran forces in the defence of Enugu but was wounded in battle. After he was discharged from Hospital, Ojukwu appointed him his Chief Of Staff. At the end if the war, Colonel Obosi flew into exile with Ojukwu to Cote Divoire. From there he made his way to Guyana where the government of Guyana, on hearing of his military exploits in Biafra, hired him as a military advisor. After a while, Nwobosi moved to Canada where he lived for many years and became a citizen.

Nwobosi wrote a book titled "1966: The Dark Truth" that was published by his son after he died in 2020, where he talked Nigeria's first coup. His dying wish was to be buried in his hometown as a Biafran.

Below are pictures, and what Nwobosi said about Nigeria's first coup

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by gidgiddy: 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2023
Emmanuel Nwobosi

I am the last of the original coup planners of January 15, 1966 with Major Kaduna Nzeogwu. I knew Nzeogwu well. We went to school together. We trained at Sandhurst Military Academy, UK. We lived together. Nzeogwu was our first Head of Military Intelligence and uncovered terrible plans to wreak havoc across the country. We organised a group of progressive military officers to carry out a coup on 15th January, 1966 to stop a Jihad and bring sanity to a Nigeria steeped in nepotism, corruption and mass murders. The Government of Tafawa Balewa, controlled by the Premier of Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello, were using us in the army to repress the Middle Belt and Western Nigeria. Houses and cars were burnt. Thousands were killed. All these happened between 1962- 66

There were nine of us that planned the January 15 Revolution: Majors Nzeogwu, Anuforo, Ifeajuna, Ademoyega, Chukwuka, Okafor, Onwuategwu, Obienu and myself. However, four of us started it. Major Ifeajuna and Major Ademoyega in the South; and Major Nzeogwu and myself in the North. We then united as a single revolution. I am the last of the four original revolutionaries. None published the complete truth. Only me, Colonel Nwobosi, is alive today, to tell the Final Truth, so that the lies will not triumph forever.

They used us to repress the Middle-belt and the Yorubas. When we saw genocide, we began to disobey orders and swore to stop them. For instance, Major Anuforo refused to release mass murderers caught with weapons, and was court martialled. He was replaced by Major Hassan Katsina, a Northern Muslim, willing to act. I was in Abeokuta but refused to repress Yorubas, instead I opened our barracks as a safe place for them to run to. They told many lies about the January 15 boys, to justify their genocide, but it is those of us that planned the revolution that they should have killed, not the three million innocent Biafrans that knew nothing.

For years I kept quiet, blaming myself and wondering whether at 27, I was too radical that my actions led to the deaths of millions. Today, the same evil in 1966 is being unleashed. As I watch, my sense of guilt has vanished, because we were not the evil. We were trying to stop the evil. That Evil is Radical Islamism. I have decided to speak out and warn the world of the impending disaster if we do not stop it.

Each time Radical Muslims plan a Jihad, in their religious mission to conquer the world, they will fail, but in the attempt, thousands and even millions will die. That happened to us in Biafra. At this point let me differentiate between peaceful, law-abiding Muslims and Radical Muslims who want to kill others to force their religion on them. The problem is that wherever peaceful Muslims are, there are some Radical Muslims amongst them. That is why they began a Jihad in 1966. That is why we had to stop it. That is why they killed millions of our people. That is why we declared Biafra, because we are a peaceful people and oil and water can never mix.

My story is a warning to Nigerians. For years, I was prevented from speaking the truth by exile, prison, harassment, poverty, surveillance and death threats held over many of the actors like Ojukwu, Zik, Awolowo, Ibiam and the January 15 boys that survived. But as I watch today, many of the events that led to our revolution are happening again: Boko Haram, Fulani Militia, Niger Delta Militants, Shiites, IPOB and mass murders.

Some people think we acted wrongly in carrying out the January 15 revolution, but they may not be fully aware of the realities then. We were trained by the British to be patriotic, to give the ultimate sacrifice for Nigerian and to stop anyone acting against the nation.

Instead of our leaders using us to defend Nigeria they were using us to suppress citizens. We, decided to arrest them for their atrocities because no one was willing to act. Not Zik, the President, who was powerless, not Ironsi, the Head of the Army, who was a conservative. There were many reasons why we had to act:
1. To stop the killings in Yoruba land and the Middle Belt by NPC the ruling Party;
2. To stop the invasion of Yorubaland on 17th January, 1966;
3. To correct the massive rigging of the 1964 elections;
4. To free Awolowo from Prison and make him the Prime Minister;
5. To stop the terrible corruption, nepotism and regionalism of the NPC, the Ruling Party;
6. To stop Ahmadu Bello’s planned Jihad.

It was good that we acted to save the Yoruba and the Middle Belt people, and we thought that was enough to stop the Jihad. We could not foresee that they would massively attack innocent Igbos. Blame those who decided to massacre our people for their evil. Today we are fighting Buhari. He is killing Shiite Muslims and IPOB members. With the benefit of hind-sight we can see other ways of dealing with such evil, but for us in 1966, we just wanted to save the people from massacre.

I wish to congratulate Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB for the good work they are doing to free our people from Nigeria and Radical Islamism.

Many of our people do not understand how vast IPOB is, as an organisation and the quality of the people that run it. On arrival in Israel, I started meeting high quality professionals and I was amazed. I don’t know how IPOB united power professionals abroad, power traders at home and ordinary people from market women to even riff raff all under one IPOB family, with world-wide Radio and Television.

Every Igbo and Biafran should be proud of them. They are the strongest force we have today to achieve freedom for all Nigerians. No wonder they can take on the Nigerian Government and win. However, it is money that makes things work. I shall donate 10% of all the profits of my new book to IPOB. It is my tithe to freedom. Tithing is God’s tax to raise money for the government of the children of God. I urge you all to regularly do the same so we can have the resources to achieve our objectives.

On this day of 15th January, 2019, the anniversary of our Revolution, I want to hand over to Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB, the baton of the January 15 boys, so you can complete the revolution we started. I am the Ogene Obosi, a Chief and elder of the Obosi people. I bring to you the blessings of the Ancients. I fought for Biafra; I was wounded for Biafra and I shall die for Biafra. Iseeee.

We carried out the coup and partially succeeded. We went to Kirikiri Prison with Nzeogwu and other coup planners, where we shared our stories some of which were recorded by Major Ademoyega and Captain Ben Gbulie in their books. I fought with Nzeogwu who died at the Nsukka Sector. I mourned my leader and friend. I also knew Ojukwu well. I was his Chief of Operations in the Biafra War. We went into exile together. On our return he made me his ADC. I put it all in my book,
1966: THE DARK TRUTH. - Chief Emmanuel Nwobosi, 15th January 2019

4 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 18, 2023
Peter Obi represents renewed hope for Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Racoon(m): 12:44pm On Jan 18, 2023
Gallant men that saw the problem with Nigeria from afar. Same with the late Majors Chukwuma Patrick Kaduna Nzeogwu and Gideon Gwarza Orkar. Ironsi and Ojukwu thought Nigeria problem can be solve via diplomacy. Murtala came in a Hail of bullets, killed many, but also left in a Hail of bullet.

Meanwhile, efulefus like Brigadier Adekunle Benjamin, Brigadier Alabi Isama, Brigadier Malami Nassarawa were all disgraced and retired unceremoniously from the same one Nigeria army.

Today Obasanjo, Gowon, TY Danjuma, Domkat, Zamani Lekwot(Zango-Kataf), Yah Bali, Jeremiah Useni, David Mark and all the one Nigeria champions are all crying because their feudal power lords turned their back on then after helping then to political power.

General Salisu Ibrahim( former COAS and Defense chief) said the Nigerian army is that of "anything goes"
while Major General Chris Ali feels the army that was used by the feudal power lords have been so debased that it no more has values for itself or the establishment.

4 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by kettykin: 12:49pm On Jan 18, 2023
The real Biafran soldier not the sit at home crew masquerading as Biafrans , shooting, killing the unarmed.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Conner44: 12:51pm On Jan 18, 2023
My father, who was a Biafran soldier during the civil war is still alive today.

He told me yesterday that all the signs that led to the start of the last civil war was already playing out in front of our eyes. He said that the final nail on the coffin wasn’t the coup or the pogroms but the way politicians handled the Western regional election which saw political thugs fighting and killing themselves and innocent civilians all over the region for weeks just because of the elections.

He told me that the yorubas and their penchant for electoral violence was what triggered the war. That if you were in Lagos at that time during the western region election you could not leave your house without seeing headless corpses and perceiving decomposed flesh all over the state. He’s the one who told me that it’s not today that yorubas started liking decapitations grin

When it come to the story of the war, how it started and ended plus what happened in between, I have first hand information from my dad. And he’s telling me that he is seeing the signs of another war looming over us today especially considering this coming election and the way the breeze is blowing.

4 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Racoon(m): 12:53pm On Jan 18, 2023
Conner44:
My father, who was a Biafran soldier during the civil war is still alive today. He told me yesterday that all the signs that led to the start of the last civil war was already playing out in front of our eyes. ..
He is very correct my brother. Nigeria thinks they can bury the Igbo question and go scot free. Hell no. Lack of unity, fairness, and inclusion lead to unrest
and injustice.

Injustice breeds agitations while agitations give rise to calls for separatist state or succession. We will continue to teach the history and horrors of slavery and colonialism to our children but let's not teach it with hate or bitterness.

5 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2023
Honestly you Igbos are doing everything in your power to self-inflict another pogrom on yourselves

You people have been defeated, remain defeated and will be defeated

If you don't start respecting other citizens, you'll be perpetually bitter because you'll keep on being overlooked

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by gidgiddy: 1:05pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:
Honestly you Igbos are doing everything in your power to self-inflict another pogrom on yourselves

If you don't start respecting other citizens, you'll be perpetually bitter because you'll keep on being overlooked

And is there any peace, unity or progress you see in Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by mrvitalis(m): 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:

The only Igbo mistake is fighting other people's fight but being defeated? Even sultan can't say same

Yes there is a slim possibility Fulani nations can over run Igbo land leading to the death of thousands ...but to hold it and rule over it like Ilorin or Hausa kingdoms is totally impossible

The whole Fulani in Africa can't even stand a tribe in the Igbo nation , not to talk about the whole Igbo nation ....

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by kettykin: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2023
How these people were able to fight off for more than 30 months a Nigerian military with their unbridled lust for the blood of the unarmed, backed by British military, soviet union, Egypt, Britain, East Germany, chad, Cameroon, Niger,Sudan is what I am still battling to unravel .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by kettykin: 1:15pm On Jan 18, 2023
mrvitalis:

The only Igbo mistake is fighting other people's fight but being defeated? Even sultan can't say same

Yes there is a slim possibility Fulani nations can over run Igbo land leading to the death of thousands ...but to hold it and rule over it like Ilorin or Hausa kingdoms is totally impossible

The whole Fulani in Africa can't even stand a tribe in the Igbo nation , not to talk about the whole Igbo nation ....

If they did not do it when soviet union, Egypt, Britain and their brothers in west Africa backed them in the 60s , then they cannot not even contemplate it now

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by christistruth01: 1:20pm On Jan 18, 2023
Nwobosi Murdered Premier Akintola And his Nephew during the Jan 1966 Coup

He drove all the way from Lagos to Ibadan just to carry out the murder

Mbadiwe, Orizu ,,Gen Ironsi and Col Njoku that were with him in Lagos he left untouched

Though we accept that many mistakes were made

Nwobosi should have used his Broadcast to apologise to the Akintola

family and ask for Forgiveness

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2023
mrvitalis:

What makes you defeated is your inability to move on from the Biafran war

If Fulani had any plans to overrun your zone and lord you guys, they would have never agreed to the current structure which stifles that

Oga look, if a war between Igbos and Northerners was to breakout, you wouldn't be fighting just Fulanis. You know this so rest

Only you Igbos talk about Fulani conquests because you can't still come to terms with the outcome of the Biafran war...what you don't know is that Hausa has usurped a large chunk of Fulani Language and culture, so this adulterated view you have of things is baseless

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 1:39pm On Jan 18, 2023
gidgiddy:

And is there any peace, unity or progress you see in Nigeria?

Will peace come by maligning and castigating other people in relation to your tribe?

If truly you cared about peace, would you open a thread about a 1966 coupist whose words malign and hurt the sensibilities of Northerners in referring to their revered leaders in an appalling light?

Peace will only come to you when you desist from viewing yourselves as an outcast people and stop this siege mentality you guys have

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by mrvitalis(m): 1:48pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:

If Fulani had any plans to overrun your zone and lord you guys, they would have never agreed to the current structure which stifles that

Oga look, if a war between Igbos and Northerners was to breakout, you wouldn't be fighting just Fulanis. You know this so rest

Only you Igbos talk about Fulani conquests because you can't still come to terms with the outcome of the Biafran war...what you don't know is that Hausa has usurped a large chunk of Fulani Language and culture, so this adulterated view you have of things is baseless
Someone needs a history lesson

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Idiko1: 2:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
christistruth01:

Mbadiwe, Orizu ,,Gen Ironsi and Col Njoku that were with him in Lagos he left untouched

The premier of defunct western region of Nigeria Mr. Samuel Ladoke Akintola was not murdered, he committed suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Idiko1: 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2023
What Nigeria needs so badly is unconditional disintegration. Nigeria cannot see any progress if allowed to remain as presently configured.
Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by tommy589(m): 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2023
christistruth01:

What people do for loving Yoruba people. Same love 'liberating' Midwest enroute Western region.

It is not about conquest like the Fulani but an invasion of liberation
Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by christistruth01: 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2023
tommy589:

What people do for loving Yoruba people. Same love 'liberating' Midwest enroute Western region.

It is not about conquest like the Fulani but an invasion of liberation

When Alimi loved Afonja at Ilorin and helped him fight his Overlord the Alaafin

how did it end ?

Yorubas still remember the lesson keenly even over 200 years later

The moment Col Banjo knew Ojukwu was doing an Afonja on him

It was the beginning of the end for Ojukwu and his Biafra

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by T9ksy(m): 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2023
Idiko1:

The premier of defunct western region of Nigeria Mr. Samuel Ladoke Akintola was not murdered, he committed suicide.

Jeez Prof., are you for real

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Raheeqilmaktoom: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2023
Someone is hellbent on telling us new history, 50 years after the event.

Take responsibility and move on, everybody has. Shikenan.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by christistruth01: 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2023
Idiko1:

Idiko1 nitori Olorun !

And you did well yesterday in your recollection of History

What is this?

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Raheeqilmaktoom: 2:36pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:

Who get microphone?

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by Yaribanzaonic: 2:47pm On Jan 18, 2023
@gidgiddy:

You see the insult you bring to your tribe whenever you try to educate miscreants and bonafide buffoons?

Anyway let me take it from here. @IMEI..all your rants equates to a subtle and yet obvious need to place the IGBO tribe as people that are ought to be Loyal to whatever useless doctrines that guide your generational foolishness.

You only threaten people from the SW with external aggression, because they are cowards. As for the South easterners, you already know the scores, even till now, the foot solders of the Fulani jihadist, know where to thread carefully.

IGBOs have never bowed to useless intimidation...not before ..now ..or ever.

As regards your stewpidity..show workings..let IGBOs show you some LOVE..spits angry

IMEI:

Will peace come by maligning and castigating other people in relation to your tribe?

If truly you cared about peace, would you open a thread about a 1966 coupist whose words malign and hurt the sensibilities of Northerners in referring to their revered leaders in an appalling light?

Peace will only come to you when you desist from viewing yourselves as an outcast people and stop this siege mentality you guys have

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by tommy589(m): 2:49pm On Jan 18, 2023
christistruth01:

When Alimi loved Afonja at Ilorin and helped him fight his Overlord the Alaafin

how did it end ?

That was a different era,before creation of Nigeria grin Love for Midwest was too much that Late General David Ejoor ran away

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by gidgiddy: 2:58pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:

Are you talking about the same Northerners who were slaughtering Igbos long before 1966 in the Jos massacre of 1945 and the Kano massacre of 1953? What do you think happened to the sensibilities of Igbos then?

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by christistruth01: 3:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
tommy589:

That was a different era,before creation of Nigeria grin Love for Midwest was too much that Late General David Ejoor ran away

The Aeroplane with Which Ojukwu fled Biafra after he abandoned his People at the Warfront

The first General on Earth to do so

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 3:26pm On Jan 18, 2023
Yaribanzaonic:
@gidgiddy:

You see the insult you bring to your tribe whenever you try to educate miscreants and bonafide buffoons?

Anyway let me take it from here. @IMEI..all your rants equates to a subtle and yet obvious need to place the IGBO tribe as people that are ought to be Loyal to whatever useless doctrines that guide your generational foolishness.

You only threaten people from the SW with external aggression, because they are cowards. As for the South easterners, you already know the scores, even till now, the foot solders of the Fulani jihadist, know where to thread carefully.

IGBOs have never bowed to useless intimidation...not before ..now ..or ever.

As regards your stewpidity..show workings..let IGBOs show you some LOVE..spits angry

All this noise won't change the fact that your coup plot failed and you lost the war

I'm no tribalist but it's on record that the only tribe that has been defeated in an official war since Nigeria's independence, is your tribe and not the Yorubas you call cowards

Your combativeness is only because you're trying hard to erase that fact and you can't come to terms with it

Rest Oga

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2023
gidgiddy:

Are you talking about the same Northerners who were slaughtering Igbos long before 1966 in the Jos massacre of 1945 and the Kano massacre of 1953? What do you think happened to the sensibilities of Igbos then?

So you won't rest until you slaughter Northerners in the same way? Or does that give you the right to perpetually insult and malign?

What would you gain by causing crises that negatively affect Igbos?

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by gidgiddy: 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2023
IMEI:

All this noise won't change the fact that your coup plot failed and you lost the war

I'm no tribalist but it's on record that the only tribe that has been defeated in an official war since Nigeria's independence, is your tribe and not the Yorubas you call cowards

Your combativeness is only because you're trying hard to erase that fact and you can't come to terms with it

Rest Oga

You have to have the heart to fight, then you talk about defeat

I would rather be from a tribe that stood up and fought like men, and was defeated, than be you guys that can never ever fight for a second, to even talk about getting to the point of defeat

1 Like

Re: Remembering Colonel Nwobosi And What He Said About Nigeria's First Coup-pics by IMEI: 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2023
mrvitalis:
Someone needs a history lesson
I agree and not the Nnamdi Kanu IPOB variant of history

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Type in “meaning Of Tinubu” On Google And See The Results (pics Included) / They Said Over Their Dead Bodies For An Igbo Man To Be President Of Nigeria / On Oba Elegushi Oro Cult Ritual And What This Means Of Non Indigines Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.