Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona (595 Views)

After Corona Where Do You Plan To Visit ! / Am Relocating To Lagos Immediately After Corona, Pls I Need Your Advice / ‘1500’ Lagos-bound Passengers Stranded In Ghana — After Four Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by RandomAfrican1: 6:13am On Jul 07, 2020

Ghana has been touted for so many things in recent times, notable of which are its relative peace and stability it largely enjoys coupled with freedoms by virtue of its practice of democracy, impressive economic growth, copious natural resources among others.

Today however, I intend to delve specifically into why you should visit the capital, Accra, which is located on the shores of the Atlantic ocean.

I understand that we are currently in abnormal times with the corona virus stifling movement and travels, and I know that travel-heads like myself are not finding it easy having to stay at one place for months on end. However, this might just be a much needed period of pause to reflect on where to visit next after this pandemic phase is over.

I am thereby by this article suggesting that you prepare to visit Accra soon after restrictions are lifted because it is just “lit” in that beautiful city.

And here is why;

Food
It is known by many that West Africans have endless delicacies of food, and Accra being practically at the centre of the sub-region means that it is a melting pot of all food types. Asides from the usual continental dishes, you will also find contemporary Chinese, Indian, Turkish and other meal types in various corners of the city.

Foods like Attieke, Eba, Amala e.t.c. from other neighbouring African countries are also readily available in many restaurant and food joints. And not to mention the obvious abundance of local Ghanaian dishes like Jollof rice, Waakye, Banku, Fufu among others.

The Tilapia fish meal in Accra is one you should never miss once you make a trip to that city. This tasty dish is usually eaten along side banku (made from fermented corn dough) with green and black pepper.

Culture
Even though Accra is a melting pot of various cultures and traditions, because of its status as the country’s capital, the Ga people who are ancestral residents of the city have lovely cultures and traditions to behold. Notable amongst this is the Homowo annual festival which takes place to celebrate fruitful harvest.

The celebration is usually led by the chiefs and family heads mostly in the Ga traditional areas of Ga Mashie, Teshie-Nungua, Tema Meridian and others. It is a period of drumming, dancing, food, art and merry-making. This is the time when the Ga people eat their special celebratory meal called Kpokpoi or Kpepele.

Fashion
Even though African fashion is known to be unique with bright and happy colours, the fashion in Accra has its own respledent signature to it. Accra fashion stands on its own, mixing modern global fashion sequence with traditional Ghanaian fabrics which is fused and inspired by pan-Africanism.

Fashion in Accra usually spots a dose of Kente design, even with the most modern of clothing, to deliberately make a “Made in Ghana” statement.

Asides from the ‘kente’ fabric, others make conspicuous or subtle addition of Ghanaian wax and tie and dye materials as an “Accra Fashion” statement to the world.

Beautiful People
Ghanaians in general are known to be hospitable people, and you are very likely to run into pleasant smiling people in the capital for the majority of your time there (this does not mean that you won’t get into contact with some quite unpleasant people – but you just might not).

Ghanaians usually wear a smile on their faces as they mostly have this belief in a popular local saying “fa ma Nyame,” which means “just give it all to God,” as such the Ghanaian has a high tendency to smile through pains and inconvenience, but…

Night Life & Parties
The night life in Accra is lit!

You might want to start from Oxford street in Osu, since the saying goes that “Oxford street never sleeps!”

Osu holds so many hangout spots… the likes of Epos, Purple Pub, Firefly, Republic Grill and Bar and many more.

Then you also want to look at circle around Paloma (especially Champs Sports Bar), Bus Stop and then go all the way down to Kokomlemle around Joy FM to the Boomerang Night club area.

Not to mention the any hangout spots in the Cantonment, Labone, Labadi triangular locus. I am unable to exhaust all of the great hangout places in the Ghanaian capital in just one article sub-category… I haven’t even started to mention East Legon and the larger Ga East enclave, which I find particularly interesting.

Beaches
There are no shortages of public and private beaches in Accra, after all, it is a coastal city.

You can choose to go to the much crowded Labadi public beach or opt for the relatively less crowded Teshie-Nungua beach, which is also public. Or you can opt to go to private beaches like Bojo and Kokrobite beaches.

You however have to be careful at the public beaches because there can be some unscrupulous elements lurking around to take a purse or mobile phone device from unaware patrons.

Peace and Tranquility
Ghana is largely a peaceful nation despite being a country whose citizens are very politically aware. However, this political awareness is usually translated into daily political talk show events and electoral processes which happens every four years.

The country is known to have a largely credible electoral process (a process which is still on course to attaining perfection) which sees to it that political power changes hand regularly when the citizenry are displeased with the status quo in leadership.

In all, there are a hundred and one reasons why you have to visit the Ghanaian capital of Accra after corona, but these reasons can obviously not all be enumerated in one article. Experiencing it first had is much better...

Source and illustrative video for you here; https://africaatrandom.com/7-reasons-to-visit-accra-ghana-after-corona/
Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by RandomAfrican1: 7:42am On Jul 07, 2020
eNigeriaOrg:
Ghana is another South Africa and USA in the making; not in terms of development, but in Racism/Xenophobia. I won't step a foot there for now.

Lol interesting... you've never been there yet you conclude
Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by RandomAfrican1: 9:22am On Jul 07, 2020
eNigeriaOrg:

I don't have to be there to know what's going on over there okay. IT has made the world a global village. So, you guys should stop thinking the world does not know how badly you treat foreigners in your country; if you are from there.

LOL.
Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by Noisyrians: 9:52am On Jul 07, 2020
Fuckeduppedness grin as if Ghana gives a fvck about you grin you won’t step a foot in Ghana, so we should declare 100 days of mourning in Ghana? angry grin

eNigeriaOrg:
Ghana is another South Africa and USA in the making; not in terms of development, but in Racism/Xenophobia. I won't step a foot there for now.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by Noisyrians: 9:55am On Jul 07, 2020
We treat foreigners badly? Yet foreigners will visit Ghana, than your country grin you are very funny guy

eNigeriaOrg:

I don't have to be there to know what's going on over there okay. IT has made the world a global village. So, you guys should stop thinking the world does not know how badly you treat foreigners in your country; if you are from there.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by Minxie(f): 10:00am On Jul 07, 2020
I have a few friends who have visited Ghana and they had so many good things to say. I can't wait to go and experience it for myself. I do wish that Ghana would do more to market it's tourism industry though. The rest of the world needs to know how nice it is.
Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by Noisyrians: 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2020
Rubbish! pure crap grin nigerians are the most uncouth people on this planet cool
[s]
eNigeriaOrg:

That's what we are talking about. Good PR for Ghana coming from you. We will have to assume that most Ghanaians are as uncouth as you. The world is reading this. Nigeria leads the rest of Africa. Deal with that, lil brother.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons To Visit Accra, Ghana After Corona by Noisyrians: 10:13pm On Jul 07, 2020
Thank you, dear. Ghanaians are generally good people. we love everybody, but not criminals and trouble makers grin

Minxie:
I have a few friends who have visited Ghana and they had so many good things to say. I can't wait to go and experience it for myself. I do wish that Ghana would do more to market it's tourism industry though. The rest of the world needs to know how nice it is.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Staycation In Nigeria - My Visit To Kajuru Castle / Affordable Hotels In Warri (effurun) / How Good Is Bahamas To Stay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.