Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,075 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player (22909 Views)

Jurgen Klopp Demands Liverpool Replay Against Tottenham After VAR Error / Cameroon Players In Tears During England Clash After VAR Controversy / Cafclfinal: Wydad Casablanca Abandons Game After VAR Controversy (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Lorazepam(f): 12:35pm On Jul 08, 2020
Shooyie:

I would have agreed with you if only vardy was booked when he hit Mustafi. Also, Vardy pushed a defender in the 2nd half and it wasn't awarded? He didn't book Iheanacho for his foul on Ceballos? Then don't book anybody! He was a poor ref!
What of the Leicester goal scored by iheanacho that was disallowed for a non existent foul.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Angelfrost(m): 12:35pm On Jul 08, 2020
That's the whole point of VAR, to perfect the art of match officiating by removing that subjective human nature that's quite prone to error or bias.

Mr. Arteta, read the FIFA and UEFA rules again. I knew that initial yellow card was a joke. So, was not surprised when VAR recalled the ref to have a second look. Same with C.Ronaldo's red last UCL for pulling a player's hair.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Jodano: 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2020
watch out for these three coaches in the EPL With little more time some body among them will shock the world they need more time to the squad that would adapt to their various phylosophys.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Shooyie: 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2020
Lorazepam:

What of the Leicester goal scored by iheanacho that was disallowed for a non existent foul.

Non existent? Lol! Why was his hands on Kolasinac's neck? Besides, the lineman even indicated that cos it was clear enough.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Angelfrost(m): 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2020
logon599:
In all honesty, that was a clear red card, even though admittedly the player was clearly trying to play the ball, but it was a high tackle and the studs were showing

The forceful high tackle was unnecessary and quite dangerous. Justin could have been terribly injured and out of action for months, if Nketiah had fully connected.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Angelfrost(m): 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2020
paulolee:
really felt for gunners for dropping points after such a superb game..
bt pls mr Arteta dnt wori too much, jus gather ur team and prepare for the next game because the league is too hot and in a rush and there is no time to lick ur wounds..
V.a.r had been the story of the season and coaches are getting tired of complaining abt it, u can call ask ask pep, mourinho and even d entire barca board..
what i have learned abt var is dt, it is good for the game when it decides in your favor and keeps helping you like Liverpool and madrid currently and its bad for the game when it goes against ur favour and keeps helping ur rivals just like pep, Barcelona board and mourinho are complaining.... but i still think technology isnt needed dt much in soccer and its spoiling d beautiful game..

Well, if the very same people bitching about it now hadn't been complaining about poor officiating and referee bias for years, VAR would never have been given a second thought.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Balenciagaokey: 12:44pm On Jul 08, 2020
Balenciagaokey:
grin grin

Chelsea fans are happy with the result.
Chelsea now sitting comfortably.
Chelsea now 3rd (Champions league spot)
Blues for life.

Hit like for CHELSEA
Share for ARSENAL
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Balenciagaokey: 12:45pm On Jul 08, 2020
seunny4lif:
You still have Liverpool to play grin

Liverpool na our brothers
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by slickbak(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2020
Roon9:
The only entity on earth with problems bigger than Nigeria is Arsenal
U must not be in Nigeria to even have that bias
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by seunny4lif(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2020
grin grin
Balenciagaokey:

Liverpool na our brothers
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by emperorsversion(m): 12:49pm On Jul 08, 2020
theoneJabulani:
all price ranges are available, depends on what you want

what's the price for a core i5 system??
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by fredoooooo: 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2020
Cry cry fc .. una don start again grin
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Slynation(m): 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2020
Sometimes VAR can be frustrating... As a Barca fan, I understand that feeling
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Lilevibes(f): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2020
VAR is just a tool used in rigging football matches by the Men at the Top angry
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Lilevibes(f): 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2020
VAR is just a tool used in rigging football matches by the Men at the Top

1 Like

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by MrNipplesLover(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2020
Boss Arteta, you are not alone in this kind of confusion.

1 Like

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by AgainstIslam(f): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2020
Angelfrost:
That's the whole point of VAR, to perfect the art of match officiating by removing that subjective human nature that's quite prone to error or bias.

Mr. Arteta, read the FIFA and UEFA rules again. I knew that initial yellow card was a joke. So, was not surprised when VAR recalled the ref to have a second look. Same with C.Ronaldo's red last UCL for pulling a player's hair.

I don't think you got got the point of his argument.
Arteta's reasoning was that if Nketiah could be red carded which is an unintentional foul but a bad one that warrants a red card nonetheless, then Hardy should have been sent off in the first too for his challenge on Mustafi which I believe was also unintentional but a bad one.
That way, there is consistency in applying the rule.

Anyone who saw Nketiah's tackle would know it's a red card. But referees should be consistent with their officiating.

2 Likes

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by AgainstIslam(f): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2020
Angelfrost:

Well, if the very same people bitching about it now hadn't been complaining about poor officiating and referee bias for years, VAR would never have been given a second thought.

You are absolutely spot on on this.
There was a time I used to cry about conspiracy against or in support of certain teams be cause I used to have a team I was supporting then. But now that I just watch football for fun, I now see that there is no conspiracy anywhere. You make your own luck on the pitch as in everyday life. And more often than not, luck evens itself out over the course of the season.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by theoneJabulani(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2020
emperorsversion:

what's the price for a core i5 system??
HP or dell
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Roon9(m): 1:35pm On Jul 08, 2020
slickbak:
U must not be in Nigeria to even have that bias

grin

1 Like

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by guychidile: 1:36pm On Jul 08, 2020
me,I dont even know the rules. all I pray for is for ref to give good decision steady
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Angelfrost(m): 1:38pm On Jul 08, 2020
AgainstIslam:

I don't think you got got the point of his argument.
Arteta's reasoning was that if Nketiah could be red carded which is an unintentional foul but a bad one that warrants a red card nonetheless, then Hardy should have been sent off in the first too for his challenge on Mustafi which I believe was also unintentional but a bad one.
That way, there is consistency in applying the rule.

Anyone who saw Nketiah's tackle would know it's a red card. But referees should be consistent with their officiating.

Well, I saw both fouls.... Vardy's on Xhaka was not exactly the same as Nketiah's on Justin. Vardy's was actually and clearly unintentional, as he was already falling himself.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by pasol4real(m): 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2020
Lorazepam:

It’s either you did not watch the match or you just went to watch the match with your boyfriend, perhaps the first time you’re watching a football match?
That was a clear foul by iheanacho.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by phr0nesis(m): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2020
seunny4lif:
You still have Liverpool to play grin
And Wolverhampton
It doesn't matter whether Chelsea beat them in their home, wolves are just too unpredictable
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by dboo442: 1:46pm On Jul 08, 2020
paulolee:
really felt for gunners for dropping points after such a superb game..
bt pls mr Arteta dnt wori too much, jus gather ur team and prepare for the next game because the league is too hot and in a rush and there is no time to lick ur wounds..
V.a.r had been the story of the season and coaches are getting tired of complaining abt it, u can call ask ask pep, mourinho and even d entire barca board..
what i have learned abt var is dt, it is good for the game when it decides in your favor and keeps helping you like Liverpool and madrid currently and its bad for the game when it goes against ur favour and keeps helping ur rivals just like pep, Barcelona board and mourinho are complaining.... but i still think technology isnt needed dt much in soccer and its spoiling d beautiful game..
you forgot to mention man u abi
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Ingocof(m): 1:46pm On Jul 08, 2020
ogbiwa:
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says he does not understand the use of pitch-side monitors in the Premier League after the decision to send off Eddie Nketiah in the 1-1 draw with Leicester.

Referee Chris Kavanagh initially showed Nketiah a yellow card for his high tackle on Justin James.

But after consulting with the VAR officials and viewing a replay himself, he changed this to red.

"In the last year I have never seen a referee check any images," said Arteta.

"I do not understand the rules. But I can do nothing now."

Arteta was also unhappy at a challenge by a Leicester player he felt should have resulted in a red card that he identified as happening between the 40th and 45th minute.

It is likely he was referring to a clash between Jamie Vardy and Shkodran Mustafi, in which the Foxes striker caught the defender in the face with his heel. This went unpunished.

"It can be a red card but then Leicester have to play with 10 men," Arteta told Sky Sports. "For an incident that happened between the 40th and 45th minute, it has to be a red card as well."

In January this year, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the body that manages elite referees, issued guidance that referees should start using pitchside monitors for red card decisions where it is felt they should have the final say.

Prior to that, the only time the monitors have been used in 2019-20 is by Michael Oliver in an FA Cup third-round tie between Crystal Palace and Derby County.

As a result, he upgraded a yellow card for Palace's Luka Milivojevic to a red.

This approach has not been witnessed often since then, with the most notable occasion coming in the game between Southampton and Newcastle in March, when referee Graham Scott upgraded Moussa Djenepo's yellow to a red after consulting the pitchside monitor.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53329886

Arteta should go back to the coaching school
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by JomoGbomo1Akpos: 1:48pm On Jul 08, 2020
How can you say you don't the rules and at the smae time say it's community quota?
chrisxxx:
We fans are yet to know the rules that say Nketiah and Willock must feature in all Arsenal's game.
Are these guys community boys playing community quota?
We played two men down immediately Arteta introduced Nketiah and Willock.
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by 2kris(m): 2:06pm On Jul 08, 2020
Roon9:
The only entity on earth with problems bigger than Nigeria is Arsenal.

call for our 444Wh lithium-ion solar generator that could power your TV, laptop, standing fan and up to 4 lighting points for up to 13 hours daily
and you want people to patronize you .after abusing arsenal
my good friend this is not how to market your business

1 Like

Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by Roon9(m): 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2020
2kris:
and you want people to patronize you .after abusing arsenal
my good friend this is not how to market your business

Lolz! Bros na joke o
Re: Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player by chrisxxx(m): 3:09pm On Jul 08, 2020
JomoGbomo1Akpos:
How can you say you don't the rules and at the smae time say it's community quota?
Na assumption I dey do

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTO: Copy Of Keshi's Letter To The NFF / Share Your Bet9ja Virtual Tricks / Ronaldo's Sponsors, Nike & EA, Express 'Deep Concerns' Over Rape Allegations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.