Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ (18047 Views)

We Will Impose Fresh Nationwide Lockdown If COVID-19 Cases Continue To Rise- PTF / We are Finished / How Women In Rivers State Suffer From Agip’s Nonstop Gas Flaring & oil pollution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by agwom(m): 6:37am On Jul 09, 2020
The reported discharge of 2.6 billion barrel of toxic waste over 48 years by the Nigeria Agip Oil Company (NAOC) into communities in Bayelsa State has had the people of Brass Kingdom and Ologbobiri in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area living in a state of panic.

There are worries about air, water and soil contaminations due to oil spills and discharge of toxic waste, which have given rise to concerns that if residents start suffering the health effects, they might be mistaken for COVID-19 symptoms.

Already, there are reports of children and the elderly being struck by unusual ailments that locals suspect might have links to the pollution while fishing and farming, the economic mainstay of the communities, have suffered. Recently, dead fishes have turned up in huge numbers in some riverine communities in the state, especially in the Southern Ijaw and Brass areas and in other Niger Delta states.

The fishermen have blamed the oil spills and gas flaring for this. Concerned by these developments, elders and youths of Brass Kingdom wrote to the Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) over alleged delays in the remediation and compensation for the over 2.6 billion barrels of toxic waste dumped into the Brass Canal due to the company’s operations.

According to the elders, Agip’s management has made several promises to the state government and the host communities in Brass to address the concerns but the Italian company has continued to discharge over 150, 000 barrels of toxic waste annually into the Brass Canal. This, they say, has contaminated the soil, groundwater and the air quality in these areas thereby degrading the health and livelihood of the people.

Recently, legal counsels of the Kingdom, Iniruo Wills and Dickson Omukoro of Ntephe, Smith and Wills Law Chambers, wrote a letter reminding the company of the urgent need for proper remediation of the ecological damage caused by 48 years of toxic waste discharge at the company’s Brass terminal. In the letter addressed to the company’s Managing Director, the community said it needs adequate compensation based on impartial impact assessment and a restoration and pollution prevention plan as per best practices.

The kingdom also drew the attention of NAOC’s management to the current long-drawn-out process of finding a lasting resolution to the pollution from the Brass Canal/oil terminal, which has triggered lots of petitions and subsequent exchanges and engagement between Agip, the office of the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources and other regulatory agencies.

In the letter, the kingdom insisted that they are putting the company on notice, “to stop desperate attempts by their officers to compromise or induce key interests aimed at evading regulatory compliance, frustrating the ministerial directive for an independent comprehensive impact assessment and to corruptly waive NAOC’s environmental obligations to the people of Brass Kingdom.”

Also blighted by the contamination, the people of Okpoama Kingdom in the same local government area, have sent a save our soul message to the Federal Government They said that an oil spill occurred two weeks ago on the 24-inch Ogoda-Brass crude oil trunk line operated by the Nigerian Agip Oil Company.

The Chairman of the Okpoama Kingdom Oil and Gas Committee, Percy Jerry Wemi-Kwomain, said that the incident happened at the Amangaetima Bush near Ewoama-Brass.

“The oil spill has discharged enormous amounts of crude oil into the adjourning creeks and rivulets, thereby affecting the environment and the livelihood of the people of the area,” he said.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/if-covid-19-meets-oil-pollution-we-are-finished.html

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by GboyegaD(m): 6:40am On Jul 09, 2020
It is well. I served in Brass over a decade and half years ago and the water from the public tap wasn't good enough to drink. I had boils each time i left the Island back to base as a way of my body expunging the contaminants in my system. I can only imagine the current situation now.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Flexherbal(m): 6:41am On Jul 09, 2020
There are worries about air, water and soil contaminations due to oil spills and discharge of toxic waste, which have given rise to concerns that if residents start suffering the health effects, they might be mistaken for COVID-19 symptoms.

In a sane country, the concerned authorities would have swung into action.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Brandstudio01: 6:41am On Jul 09, 2020
My dear I can assure you nothing will happen. We will all see the end of it

12 Likes

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by OkhaiAsein(m): 9:55am On Jul 09, 2020
chai e don happen
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by lordswill03: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
How do people get front page
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by McBrooklyn(m): 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
You all are finished.. I'm not finished..! angry

Y'all need to learn to speak for yours & yourself alone next time adios! angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by AnterTech: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
Environmental pollution is highly detrimental, particularly when depletion of the qualities of life are detrimental in this Covid-19 period.

1 Like

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by dayleke: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
Can't they sue them in their home country also?

Take the war to them.

By the way, there are some names in this our obodo Naija that man no fit pronounce sef. embarassed

1 Like

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Nazgul: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
I honestly and sincerely don't have any sensible Post to make. Thank you for your understanding.
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by inoki247: 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
Diz Nigeria we go survive na only the people at the top and the rich d thing dey kill.... 5 years old boy wey start to dey learn Mechanic don dey use Engine oil hand drink Garri even him oga nothing du dem both....

Just say u guys don discover another Format...

4 Likes

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by OBku4(m): 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
undecided
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Cogs(m): 9:56am On Jul 09, 2020
This kind world we dey,, where man is so unkind to mankind - 2face

2 Likes

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Olareveals(f): 9:57am On Jul 09, 2020
God help us

Get ur protective face shield in bulk
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Mustiboy(m): 9:57am On Jul 09, 2020
Any one who wants to be finished should be finished.

As for me and my household, as well as others who believe, we are not gonna be affected by the adverse effects of covid-19.

2 Likes

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Openbusiness3: 9:57am On Jul 09, 2020
shocked if COVID meets oil spillage,
COVID + OIL = COVOIL-19 Scamdespill
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Balenciagaokey: 9:57am On Jul 09, 2020
angry
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Justdogood(m): 9:58am On Jul 09, 2020
Guys lets be real for once.
If you have been to these oil producing communities, do they rrally care about their lives and environment again?
Especially Rivers and Delta state?
Rivers state in particular.

They dont care. All they want is let the oil firms keep bringing money to them let them keep sharing.
I have never see a group of people so miopic, self-centered, lazy, thuggish, recalcitrant, greedy, (my words fail me walahi), like the guys from these communities.
In a sane clime. What the communities want or will demand from the oil companies is just develop the place and dont degrade the environment.
But here. Hmmmmm
If you want to even on your own develop or maintain the environment in these communities, they will attack you and tell you to give them the money.
Let them do it themselves. From there the money will be shared and squandered.

Even, it will interest you to know that some of these oil spillage they complain about is a result of illegal oil bunkering.
From the lazy youths of the oil producing communities. If you wuestion them, they will tell you even their elders will say and i quote "they are young men, they are looking for something for their stomach " this is their normal slogan.
And as they illegally bunker these oil pipes and wells alot of crude is spilled and they turn around and cry wolf and say its the I.O.Cs that doing it.

I will not exonerate the I.O.Cs sha. Some are also lackadaisical in their doings. But this their attitude got worse since the white man learnt you can settle the village chiefs with dollars and they will settle their youth and even some local or even state governments and the spillage can continue. Locals forgetting these white men will one day go. But the impact of these spillage will be felt for hundreds of years before nature takes care of it.

I weep for Nigeria.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Andrew13: 9:58am On Jul 09, 2020
this is just terrible, but I trust Nigerians wink they can survive anything
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by styless(f): 9:58am On Jul 09, 2020
This 2020 sef. I thought they said COVID-19 has helped us fight pollution.

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 09, 2020
You
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:59am On Jul 09, 2020
Once they settle, nobody complains
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by airminem(f): 9:59am On Jul 09, 2020
You mean SS is finished due to the exploration. This is exciting, i thought. A battle so close and perhaps a victory coming. More people are voicing out now, maybe even everyone in that region.
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by mygreenday(m): 10:00am On Jul 09, 2020
wetin remain b4?

fulani herdsmen
boko haram
isis
isil
iswapp
street cultism
BANDITS
and all the other smaller groups that do the most damage.

what is corona? what is oil pollution? furck off.

1 Like

Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Kellie069(m): 10:00am On Jul 09, 2020
This corona of a thing ,” na over do” de worry am!!! E don still reach time way e go move na
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 09, 2020
GboyegaD:
It is well. I served in Brass over a decade and half years ago and the water from the public tap wasn't good enough to drink. I suffered bills each time i left the Island back to base as a way of my body should the contaminants in my system. I can only imagine the current situation now.

Ancient of time

Na only God be ancient of days
Re: ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’ by michoim(m): 10:00am On Jul 09, 2020
That figure is outrageous. Cross-check your facts...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Oyetola Commissions 160-Bed Isolation Centre In Osun (Photos) / Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! / Asthma Patients. How Do You Make Your Life Bearable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.