Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,831 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo (4993 Views)

Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) / Isioma Okobah Wins Highest Medical Award In US (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by donyfrank: 9:16pm On Jul 11, 2020
This country has failed Us

19 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by ojun50(m): 9:48pm On Jul 11, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by donyfrank: 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
ojun50:
Hmmmm

wetin dey smell?
why hmmmm?
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by ojun50(m): 11:02pm On Jul 11, 2020
donyfrank:

wetin dey smell?
why hmmmm?
You don brush today

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 11:41pm On Jul 11, 2020
There are a lot of reasons why e-learning may not be feasible in Nigeria. Most importantly, students in public schools lack the resources to participate in online tutorial.

8 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 12:03am On Jul 12, 2020
E-learning is not meant for Nigeria schools, many have no access to good and browsing phone, no Wi-Fi to connect to browse , poor electricity to charge phones or computers , network problem, etc. In short, the resources is not just available, like the person that commented before me mentioned.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Amotekun777: 4:52am On Jul 12, 2020
Very intuitive thread indeed...

Of course pple won't rush to this mind-blowing thread to comment since it's not BB9ja and the likes. You wonder why 9ja youths are the most docile on earth.

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44. FP material

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by DrPurple(m): 5:00am On Jul 12, 2020
God Help Us

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by mannobi(m): 5:07am On Jul 12, 2020
Only students in good private school can utilise it. The poor don't have the facilities needed

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by damtan(m): 6:15am On Jul 12, 2020
The less privileged are so uncared for. No one cares about them

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Makavelli25: 6:26am On Jul 12, 2020
This post made me shed tears cry

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by phemmyfour: 6:45am On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:
There are a lot of reasons why e-learning may not be feasible in Nigeria. Most importantly, students in public schools lack the resources to participate in online tutorial.
Just because public schools does not have the resources doesn't mean you should deprive those that can afford it. Let everyone learn at their pace
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Demayour: 6:49am On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:
E-learning is not meant for Nigeria schools, many have no access to good and browsing phone, no Wi-Fi to connect to browse , poor electricity to charge phones or computers , network problem, etc. In short, the resources is not just available, like the person that commented before me mentioned.

You may have to qualify the Nigerian schools you're talking about sir. I teach on both sides of the divide and the international schools I deal with have started online teaching as far back as April. On the other side, I have students deep in villages and outskirts of major cities. Most of them already lack access to good education and they were work in progress. Now since March, they just go to the farm and loiter around the villages. The people deciding whether there'll be school or not have their children attending online classes; the rest of Nigerians can waste away. There's been enough time for them to make concrete policies for schools to resume but they're not interested.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 7:27am On Jul 12, 2020
Demayour:

You may have to qualify the Nigerian schools you're talking about sir. I teach on both sides of the divide and the international schools I deal with have started online teaching as far back as April. On the other side, I have students deep in villages and outskirts of major cities. Most of them already lack access to good education and they were work in progress. Now since March, they just go to the farm and loiter around the villages. The people deciding whether there'll be school or not have their children attending online classes; the rest of Nigerians can waste away. There's been enough time for them to make concrete policies for schools to resume but they're not interested.

When thinking of students, don't just think about the privileged only, try to think about those who lack the resources as well, don't be like Nigerian politicians, who are selfish and thinks about their selves alone. A lot of students will be happy if they can get resources for E-learning, but what do they do When they are not opportune, not everyone of the students loitering around in the village really wish to be doing that, circumstances makes them to be.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 7:28am On Jul 12, 2020
Demayour:

When thinking of students, don't just think about the privileged only, try to think about those who lack the resources as well, don't be like Nigerian politicians, who are selfish and thinks about their selves alone. A lot of students will be happy if they can get resources for E-learning, but what do they do When they are not opportuned, not everyone of the students loitering around in the village really wish to be doing that, circumstances makes them to be.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Lordswazz(m): 8:19am On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

When thinking of students, don't just think about the privileged only, try to think about those who lack the resources as well, don't be like Nigerian politicians, who are selfish and thinks about their selves alone. A lot of students will be happy if they can get resources for E-learning, but what do they do When they are not opportuned, not everyone of the students loitering around in the village really wish to be doing that, circumstances makes them to be.
The two of you are actually on the same page; you just didn't comprehend what he said fully!

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 9:14am On Jul 12, 2020
phemmyfour:
Just because public schools does not have the resources doesn't mean you should deprive those that can afford it. Let everyone learn at their pace

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a ban on e-learning?

Private institutions should develop their online platform and implement it for their students.

Looking at e-learning from a different angle, most Nigerian students would not subscribe to the platform. Young people prefer to chase clout on Facebook than learn with an online platform.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by obinoral1179(m): 9:18am On Jul 12, 2020
You see this country is not balance, public school student are not privileged for online classes but the government are paying their teachers on the other end the private teachers are available for online classes but parent refuse to pay for it and the teachers are wallowing in pains and suffering and those teaching online are only pay half salaries and so on..... This country needs overhaul...

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 9:23am On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

I know it's almost impossible for underprivileged students in primary and secondary schools to partake in e-learning. But does this applies to students in tertiary institutions? Absolutely NO.

Most students in public institutions have access to smartphones and internet connections. It is even the those from a humble background that spend more data on WhatsApp, Twitter and Instagram chasing clouts.

The major challenge with e-learning in Nigeria is that Nigerian tutors are not prepared to learn how the platform works.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by DesChyko: 9:41am On Jul 12, 2020
Is it not the same public schools that a number of staff don't take their responsibility serious? Even as they were attending offline schools, were they being adequately taught?
This is not enough reason to sideline online classes. If their parents were well to do, they won't even be in public schools because every parent knows what is obtainable there by default.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 9:53am On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:

I know it's almost impossible for underprivileged students in primary and secondary schools to partake in e-learning. But does this applies to students in tertiary institutions? Absolutely NO.

Most students in public institutions have access to smartphones and internet connections. It is even the those from a humble background that spend more data on WhatsApp, Twitter and Instagram chasing clouts.

The major challenge with e-learning in Nigeria is that Nigerian tutors are not prepared to learn how the platform works.

I think you are saying most students in higher institutions have access to smartphone, because of the environment you are, I'm a student, and I know many of my friends that doesn't have smartphone presently, some even have smartphone, but come online once in a while, because some can't afford data presently, I personally uses opera mini 50 mb data sometimes to come online, this pandemic is affecting a lot of people financially, and the government is not providing anything to help the situation. I bet you see how people are begging online these days, unless you just don't care about them. So many can't even afford 2 meals a day, how did you expect someone who couldn't afford feed himself or herself in a day to buy data for E-learning. To be sincere, we need E-learning, but we should think about people who doesn't have the resources as well.
For ur info, people are striving to eat a meal in a day.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 10:04am On Jul 12, 2020
Lordswazz:

The two of you are actually on the same page; you just didn't comprehend what he said fully!

Maybe I didn't. I believe our argument is about good things.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by sayso: 10:05am On Jul 12, 2020
And this

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 11:10am On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

I think you are saying most students in higher institutions have access to smartphone, because of the environment you are, I'm a student, and I know many of my friends that doesn't have smartphone presently, some even have smartphone, but come online once in a while, because some can't afford data presently, I personally uses opera mini 50 mb data sometimes to come online, this pandemic is affecting a lot of people financially, and the government is not providing anything to help the situation. I bet you see how people are begging online these days, unless you just don't care about them. So many can't even afford 2 meals a day, how did you expect someone who couldn't afford feed himself or herself in a day to buy data for E-learning. To be sincere, we need E-learning, but we should think about people who doesn't have the resources as well.
For ur info, people are striving to eat a meal in a day.

My initial assertion was that e-learning should be implemented for private institutions. I'm aware that most students do not have the resources to engage in online tutorials due to lack of facilities. The solution would have been for the government to provide internet data for students to participate in e-learning. Unfortunately, nothing is working in this country.

I pray we survive the pandemic. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 11:17am On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:

My initial assertion was that e-learning should be implemented for private institutions. I'm aware that most students do not have the resources to engage in online tutorials due to lack of facilities. The solution would have been for the government to provide internet data for students to participate in e-learning. Unfortunately, nothing is working in this country.

I pray we survive the pandemic. Cheers.

I understand you sir, I just don't support the private institutions to go on with the E-learning, while the federal and state institutions are not, because federal and state institutions student will lag behind, and it's not our fault for attending public schools, except that government provides the needs for every students.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by seanwilliam(m): 11:42am On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a ban on e-learning?

Private institutions should develop their online platform and implement it for their students.

Looking at e-learning from a different angle, most Nigerian students would not subscribe to the platform. Young people prefer to chase clout on Facebook than learn with an online platform.
una too dey abuse the bolded for naija
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by crazygod(m): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2020
Even the online teaching can't be monitored. You ask a student question via WhatsApp platform for instance, it will take the child 30mins to reply perhaps due to network inconsistency or they are busy with social media.
Even if you use zoom app, there is still the matter of network glitch and heavy data costs. You can't underestimate the importance on real time/live teaching

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Greatzeus(m): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:
Even those in private schools. You guys always miss the point,many students who go to public schools live better lives than some in private schools. Some parents whose students go to public schools are well to do than some parents in private schools.
Most private schools in Nigeria are just a shy away from being public schools.
The most important factor in online lessons is the environment. How many homes in Nigeria have a spare room where students could learn online without interference of their parents or siblings disturbing them, or noise from televisions or babies or neighbours? How many?
Not to talk of good desktop or laptop or data or good internet speed etc.
It won't work in Nigeria,not in the primary or secondary or Universities. Just think of the North for example.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Openbusiness3: 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2020
donyfrank:
This country has failed Us
this is deep sad
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Gemineye: 12:57pm On Jul 12, 2020
phemmyfour:
[s]Just because public schools does not have the resources doesn't mean you should deprive those that can afford it. Let everyone learn at their pace[/s]
At which efffing pace!!??
So every one should not be carried along jes bcus you're affluent. I know of a community in Delta state where there's been no Power supply for 2yrs+ and counting. Some rely on constant generator at home everyday!!. Do you even know that a good number of university students can't even boast of an android phone, not to mention a laptop or desktop or whatnot. Even if they want it they can't afford it. Once their wards can manage to eke out sch fees, accommodation and feeding, that's it!! .
Your FG should put in place safe policies to ensure school resumption.
Everyone needs to be carried along!!!

No to dispute E - learning, but the fact is a whole lot of persons will be left behind.

9ja cannot depend on this system. Not yet!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Vyzz: 1:01pm On Jul 12, 2020
Now I am sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb Posting Is Based On Date You Wrote The Exam--opinion Though. / Airtel Free Browsing And Call For 1 Month - Magic Sims / Ramdom Colorized Photos Of Life Before The Enlightened Era

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.