Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:58 AM

I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo (5088 Views)

Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) / Isioma Okobah Wins Highest Medical Award In US (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
seanwilliam:
una too dey abuse the bolded for naija

I was hoping that you will educate me.

Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Olarewajub: 1:50pm On Jul 12, 2020
Greatzeus:

Even those in private schools. You guys always miss the point,many students who go to public schools live better lives than some in private schools. Some parents whose students go to public schools are well to do than some parents in private schools.
Most private schools in Nigeria are just a shy away from being public schools.
The most important factor in online lessons is the environment. How many homes in Nigeria have a spare room where students could learn online without interference of their parents or siblings disturbing them, or noise from televisions or babies or neighbours? How many?
Not to talk of good desktop or laptop or data or good internet speed etc.
It won't work in Nigeria,not in the primary or secondary or Universities. Just think of the North for example.

I do not concur with your first statement. Are you saying students in Madonna, Covenant, Landmark, Redeemers, Babcock, etc, cannot afford resources for e-learning?
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by DesChyko: 2:19pm On Jul 12, 2020
Greatzeus:

Even those in private schools. You guys always miss the point,many students who go to public schools live better lives than some in private schools. Some parents whose students go to public schools are well to do than some parents in private schools.
On average, those whose children attend public schools are not as privileged as those whose children attend private schools. Once things look up for them, they enrol their children in private schools.

Most private schools in Nigeria are just a shy away from being public schools.
Wrong again. A private schools is a personal business and most of them are handled as such by the owners. And there are more private schools than public schools which keeps the competition alive. Unlike public schools, private schools have a reputation to protect.

The most important factor in online lessons is the environment. How many homes in Nigeria have a spare room where students could learn online without interference of their parents or siblings disturbing them, or noise from televisions or babies or neighbours? How many?
Not to talk of good desktop or laptop or data or good internet speed etc.
I don't know where you are, but here in Lagos, a lot of private schools are using even platforms as basic as Whatsapp with its affordable data plans to host classes that can be viewed at any time of the day and as much as possible without additional costs. They even submit assignments over it. They get to use their parents phones which means parents are actively involved in their kids learning now, moreso than before. As for the 'special room', that was never a necessity. It still isn't. Even a child needs a quiet place to do home work; but home work gets done and submitted all the same by everyone. Quiet room or not.

It won't work in Nigeria,not in the primary or secondary or Universities. Just think of the North for example.
It would work for anyone that's down with it. The reason people are exploiting alternatives is the dubious nature of this COVID pandemic. Else, this online classes will be the realest deal. I've test run it and I saw the feasibility. I have friends who are running one package or the other, mostly secondary level and few primary levels. Any University that doesn't want to implement it, just doesn't want to implement it for reasons in their own interests. As for the North, they don't think of us before flooring their cut off marks for their examinations, so why bother?
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Minjim: 2:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
Olarewajub:
There are a lot of reasons why e-learning may not be feasible in Nigeria. Most importantly, students in public schools lack the resources to participate in online tutorial.

These are desperate time.
No one will be talking of teaching if we are at war. And at war we are; against an invincible enemy.
We have to make use of available options for now. It may not accommodate everyone but it's the best within our circumstance.
When this is over, maybe Nigerians will then have common sense to vote in credible leaders.

Aside from online, there are also on air methods of teaching taking place. There are two channels on Startimes for teaching Primary and Secondary.

Between, I think school ought to be gradually opened by now
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Mrshape: 3:31pm On Jul 12, 2020
donyfrank:
This country has failed Us
When I saw the picture I almost cried
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by movingclouds(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

I think you are saying most students in higher institutions have access to smartphone, because of the environment you are, I'm a student, and I know many of my friends that doesn't have smartphone presently, some even have smartphone, but come online once in a while, because some can't afford data presently, I personally uses opera mini 50 mb data sometimes to come online, this pandemic is affecting a lot of people financially, and the government is not providing anything to help the situation. I bet you see how people are begging online these days, unless you just don't care about them. So many can't even afford 2 meals a day, how did you expect someone who couldn't afford feed himself or herself in a day to buy data for E-learning. To be sincere, we need E-learning, but we should think about people who doesn't have the resources as well.
For ur info, people are striving to eat a meal in a day.
That guy even said those from humble homes use more data.. Made me laugh.. I bet he was high on champagne before writing that
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2020
movingclouds:

That guy even said those from humble homes use more data.. Made me laugh.. I bet he was high on champagne before writing that

I think he's speaking from his own perspective, he might not know that humble has levels, the humble in his environment might be able to eat thrice in a day and do data subscription.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Demayour: 5:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

When thinking of students, don't just think about the privileged only, try to think about those who lack the resources as well, don't be like Nigerian politicians, who are selfish and thinks about their selves alone. A lot of students will be happy if they can get resources for E-learning, but what do they do When they are not opportuned, not everyone of the students loitering around in the village really wish to be doing that, circumstances makes them to be.

I know this and this is why I said "MY STUDENTS" in deep villages and towns. There's a reason I said that. They're my students and if you have any initiative to help me reach them more, please talk to me about it. I'm interested in them.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Demayour: 5:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:

When thinking of students, don't just think about the privileged only, try to think about those who lack the resources as well, don't be like Nigerian politicians, who are selfish and thinks about their selves alone. A lot of students will be happy if they can get resources for E-learning, but what do they do When they are not opportune, not everyone of the students loitering around in the village really wish to be doing that, circumstances makes them to be.

Where do I begin sir or is it that you didn't comprehend my writeup? I have students that have NEVER seen electricity from poles before. I have students that don't know there's something called video call or online conferencing. If you want to integrate them to our world today, do you start by forcing online learning on them when teachers are trying to make SS2 students become literate? Meanwhile, your post does not in anyway negate what I meant there. You can one day tour some of these villages in SS, SE and SW and see what I'm talking about.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Sleepaway(f): 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2020
If only words could solve problems we would be the most developed country in the world lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Greatzeus(m): 6:06pm On Jul 12, 2020
DesChyko:

On average, those whose children attend public schools are not as privileged as those whose children attend private schools. Once things look up for them, they enrol their children in private schools.

Wrong again. A private schools is a personal business and most of them are handled as such by the owners. And there are more private schools than public schools which keeps the competition alive. Unlike public schools, private schools have a reputation to protect.

I don't know where you are, but here in Lagos, a lot of private schools are using even platforms as basic as Whatsapp with its affordable data plans to host classes that can be viewed at any time of the day and as much as possible without additional costs. They even submit assignments over it. They get to use their parents phones which means parents are actively involved in their kids learning now, moreso than before. As for the 'special room', that was never a necessity. It still isn't. Even a child needs a quiet place to do home work; but home work gets done and submitted all the same by everyone. Quiet room or not.

It would work for anyone that's down with it. The reason people are exploiting alternatives is the dubious nature of this COVID pandemic. Else, this online classes will be the realest deal. I've test run it and I saw the feasibility. I have friends who are running one package or the other, mostly secondary level and few primary levels. Any University that doesn't want to implement it, just doesn't want to implement it for reasons in their own interests. As for the North, they don't think of us before flooring their cut off marks for their examinations, so why bother?
WhatsApp? Phone for online studies? Joker please move. Don't quote me again. Just state your point,you are clueless
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by Sensitivity: 6:52pm On Jul 12, 2020
donyfrank:

wetin dey smell?
why hmmmm?
Tacha don enter grin
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by ApostleAnarchy(m): 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2020
Amotekun777:
Very intuitive thread indeed...

Of course pple won't rush to this mind-blowing thread to comment since it's not BB9ja and the likes. You wonder why 9ja youths are the most docile on earth.

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44. FP material
Mtcheew, 9ja matter tire me. wise individuals are an endangered species in naija
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by donbrowser(m): 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2020
robinso01:
E-learning is not meant for Nigeria schools, many have no access to good and browsing phone, no Wi-Fi to connect to browse , poor electricity to charge phones or computers , network problem, etc. In short, the resources is not just available, like the person that commented before me mentioned.
Noun is having exams at the moment. Same school that most Nigerians underrated and rubbished their degree even the government refused to approve them for NYSC. The school is able to hold exams because they have been running most of their doings online.

If these things had been adopted earlier. We won't be in all these mess.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by AdmissionGetEas: 8:10pm On Jul 12, 2020
And the leaders making policies are irresponsible. God will have mercy on Nigeria

Check my signature for IJMB or JUPEB Registration
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by DesChyko: 8:56pm On Jul 12, 2020
Greatzeus:

WhatsApp? Phone for online studies? Joker please move. Don't quote me again. Just state your point,you are clueless

Blind ignorance doth mislead thee. Open your eyes.
What do you even know about online classes? Have you actually tried it out yourself or you're just clutching at straws?
Do your self a favour and actually check out all available platforms for online learning free and paid. Then check if they have mobile alternatives or can be run as webpages. Then you can save yourself from the dark you're groping about in.
Re: I Am Not Against Online Teaching, But What About Us? Photo by robinso01(m): 9:14pm On Jul 12, 2020
donbrowser:

Noun is having exams at the moment. Same school that most Nigerians underrated and rubbished their degree even the government refused to approve them for NYSC. The school is able to hold exams because they have been running most of their doings online.

If these things had been adopted earlier. We won't be in all these mess.

That's one of the criteria of noun, and they have been practicing that b4 the pandemic, it's easy for schools that have been practicing E-learning b4, but not just easy for some schools that have been practicing it, during this pandemic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Students Forced To Attend Daniel Kolenda Crusade In Ibadan, Muslims Kick / Application For Tuition Free University In Norway Is On / Agony Of Students In Madonna University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.