Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,846 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Indigine Vs Settler - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indigine Vs Settler (4427 Views)

Arewa To Abolish Indigene-settler Policy / S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause / Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indigine Vs Settler by KnowAll(m): 5:08pm On Feb 05, 2011
I guess the dominant culture in Nigeria is also Anglo/English culture because a large population of Nigerians bear English names

Maybe 95% of igbo's bear colonialist first names,  Yorubas always have a Yoruba first name, middle name and surname. We are not part of that colo mentality that is common in the East. However, in England or the USA, Yoruba's have adopted to their new environment by bearing  English Christian name as their first name, names such as John Salako or John Fashanu are names common amongst Yoruba settlers  in the towns and cities of the UK.  

This is a clear evidence of migrational attitudes, behavior and mannerism that only goes to put credence to my theory of ethnic migrants to the USA and UK adopting anglicize names in other to amalgamate with the host community which is understandable
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by JoyIsa: 5:11pm On Feb 05, 2011
What's really sad is that Nigerians can't spell Indigene.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Afam4eva(m): 5:12pm On Feb 05, 2011
KnowAll:

Maybe 95% of igbo's bear colonialist first names,  Yorubas always have a Yoruba first name, middle name and surname. We are not part of that colo mentality that is common in the East. However, in England or the USA, Yoruba's have adopted to their new environment by bearing  English Christian name as their first name, names such as John Salako or John Fashanu are names common amongst Yoruba settlers  in the towns and cities of the UK.  

This is a clear evidence of migrational attitudes, behavior and mannerism that only goes to put credence to my theory of ethnic migrants to the USA and UK adopting anglicize names in other to amalgamate with the host community which is understandable

Ignorance is a disease. The earlier you find a cure the better for your life. Pls stop the lie. Igbos bear christian names because majority of them are Christians so do Yoruba Christians.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by KnowAll(m): 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2011
Speaking with both sides of your mouth. First you say Americans are adopting Anglo/English names. Secondly you say people tend to keep their native names

[b]tend to keep their name is a desire that they(the immigrants have not manage to pull off) they(immigrants) still fall for that old age cliche of having an Anglicize first name and their native surname which signifies their heritage.[/b]
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2011
JoyIsa:

What's really sad is that Nigerians can't spell Indigene.
I just noticed yesterday that i couldn't spell it. But that's off topic.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2011
Some are here trying to argue how they think it should be, when the reality of the situation is that this indigene vs settler thing is a very real phenomenon, and one that will not be dissipating anytime soon, no matter the 'constitution' in Nigeria. We all know this. So, just be realistic about all this, and stop trying to sound "progressive". It's irritating.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Some are here trying to argue how they think it should be, when the reality of the situation is that this indigene vs settler thing is a very real phenomenon, and one that will not be dissipating anytime soon, no matter the 'constitution' in Nigeria. We all know this. So, just be realistic about all this, and stop trying to sound "progressive". It's irritating.

Hwea I di ika gbo o budi ngiri?Ika maka ala Ngwa ka obu ala Nigeria.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2011
Abagworo:

Hwea I di ika gbo o budi ngiri?Ika maka ala Ngwa ka obu ala Nigeria.
Aka m sita hnwe o bula o gbasara, ma ala Ngwa nu ma ala Naija; hnwe o bula.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Some are here trying to argue how they think it should be, when the reality of the situation is that this indigene vs settler thing is a very real phenomenon, and one that will not be dissipating anytime soon, no matter the 'constitution' in Nigeria. We all know this. So, just be realistic about all this, a[b]nd stop trying to sound "progressive". It's irritating[/b].

gbamm thank you brother

you are the best smiley
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ekubear1: 7:27pm On Feb 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

+1
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ezeagu(m): 8:19pm On Feb 05, 2011
The Igbo are actually the most strict when it comes to the difference between indigene and settler. There are women centuries ago who returned to their fathers compound after a problem in their marriage and their children are still considered 'ndi mbiambia' hundreds of years later. Most of the people talking about Nigeria is for Nigerians would be the first pushing out a large migration into their villages.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2011
ezeagu:

The Igbo are actually the most strict when it comes to the difference between indigene and settler. There are women centuries ago who returned to their fathers compound after a problem in their marriage and their children are still considered 'ndi mbiambia' hundreds of years later. Most of the people talking about Nigeria is for Nigerians would be the first pushing out a large migration into their villages.

Maybe you meant to refer to your own village gan.Those Igala,Nri,Bini,Aro and Awka migrants in your village,can you actually tell their differences from the earlier settlers?

All these things started with colonialism.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by asha80(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2011
ChninyeN

do you feel more ngwa or american?

if you intersted in politics were will you face ngwa or america?

do you evr believe you will ever settle in ngwa later in life?

as for knowall you just have a reputation of chatting rubbish.i guess that name knowall you chose for yourself is just to give yourself the assurance that you know anything.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ezeagu(m): 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2011
Abagworo:

Maybe you meant to refer to your own village gan.Those Igala,Nri,Bini,Aro and Awka migrants in your village,can you actually tell their differences from the earlier settlers?

All these things started with colonialism.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but if you are saying that Igbo villages, which are just extended families, cannot trace certain lineages to check whether a family are diala or not, then I will tell you you are wrong and that villagers can tell the difference. If they can tell the difference in cast they can tell the difference in lineage. Women who come back to their fathers house with children will have her descendants branded as migrants. The idea of 'Diala' did not start with colonialism.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 12:16am On Feb 06, 2011
do you feel more ngwa or american? -- Ngwa. I don't even consider myself American. I just live here. That's all.
if you intersted in politics were will you face ngwa or america? -- Ngwa
do you evr believe you will ever settle in ngwa later in life? -- Yes.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 12:17am On Feb 06, 2011
ChinenyeN:

do you feel more ngwa or american? -- Ngwa. I don't even consider myself American. I just live here. That's all.
if you intersted in politics were will you face ngwa or america? -- Ngwa
do you evr believe you will ever settle in ngwa later in life? -- Yes.

gbammm
you are the best
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 12:19am On Feb 06, 2011
i am a settler in lagos just like most nigerians

if OPC start killing in lagos today, i will be back in borno the next 24 hours
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 12:20am On Feb 06, 2011
i have leaved in anambra for years

if igbos start there madness, i will go beck to borno, i will not say i am now an indigene because i am half igbo cry
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:59am On Feb 06, 2011
ezeagu:

I don't really understand what you're saying, but if you are saying that Igbo villages, which are just extended families, cannot trace certain lineages to check whether a family are diala or not, then I will tell you you are wrong and that villagers can tell the difference. If they can tell the difference in cast they can tell the difference in lineage. Women who come back to their fathers house with children will have her descendants branded as migrants. The idea of 'Diala' did not start with colonialism.

Origin of Igbo Etiti

One of the engaging topics in the book is the gallant attempt made by contributors to trace the origin of the various communities in Igbo-Etiti: Ikolo, Onyohor and Ukehe trace their origin from communities in present Udi area. Onyohor and Ikolo are said to be descended from Ugwunye and therefore blood relations of Affa, Egede and Nike, while Ukehe is one of the seven children of Ojebe Ogene (Ebe, Abor, Ukana, Awhum, Okpatu, Umulumgbe and Ukehe). Udueme claims Igalla paternity while Aku and Ekwegbe claim to be a mixed race of Igbo and Igalla.  A majority of Aku are said to be of Nshi (Nri in Awka) origin while some Ohemje people are said to be of Igalla.  In the case of Ekwegbe, part came from Akpugo, Ikem, Agulu (Awka) and Igalla. It is instructive that the black-smiting village in Ekwegbe answers Agulu (Eguru) while all black smiths are called Umu Eguru (Agulu).  Diogbe and Umunko claim to come from Eha-Amufu and Ikem (Isi-Uzo) respectively.  Ohodo claims to be blood relations of Obimo and Ogbodu Abba while parts of Ozala claim to come from Nkitiba Udueme. Ochima claims to be the father of all Igbo people so that Ochima is the central locus of dispersal of all Igbos. It is claimed that Ekwegbe formed part of the Igalla descendants of Aku from where they moved to their present position through Umunna.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ezeagu(m): 3:17pm On Feb 06, 2011
Abagworo:

Origin of Igbo Etiti

One of the engaging topics in the book is the gallant attempt made by contributors to trace the origin of the various communities in Igbo-Etiti: Ikolo, Onyohor and Ukehe trace their origin from communities in present Udi area. Onyohor and Ikolo are said to be descended from Ugwunye and therefore blood relations of Affa, Egede and Nike, while Ukehe is one of the seven children of Ojebe Ogene (Ebe, Abor, Ukana, Awhum, Okpatu, Umulumgbe and Ukehe). Udueme claims Igalla paternity while Aku and Ekwegbe claim to be a mixed race of Igbo and Igalla.  A majority of Aku are said to be of Nshi (Nri in Awka) origin while some Ohemje people are said to be of Igalla.  In the case of Ekwegbe, part came from Akpugo, Ikem, Agulu (Awka) and Igalla. It is instructive that the black-smiting village in Ekwegbe answers Agulu (Eguru) while all black smiths are called Umu Eguru (Agulu).  Diogbe and Umunko claim to come from Eha-Amufu and Ikem (Isi-Uzo) respectively.  Ohodo claims to be blood relations of Obimo and Ogbodu Abba while parts of Ozala claim to come from Nkitiba Udueme. Ochima claims to be the father of all Igbo people so that Ochima is the central locus of dispersal of all Igbos. It is claimed that Ekwegbe formed part of the Igalla descendants of Aku from where they moved to their present position through Umunna.

How does this relate to my post?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by T9ksy(m): 8:53am On Feb 07, 2011
Every sentence in your post has FIGHT in it. Must there always be fight and why will Igbos from Enugu want to attack Lagos. Even if they do it will be people of Enugu attacking people of Lagos not Igbos attacking Lagos. Now do the math. That will answer your question.

Yes o, i have to include the word "fight" in my sentence 'cause ever since we came in contact with you guys, all you 've been doing is attempting to fight us for the control of Lagos. Even in the mid-forties zik of africa(sic) was trying to wrestle the control of Lagos from the yorubas, claiming that Lagos belongs to all nigerians.To think this was the same id.iot who wanted to become premier over the same yoruba people a few years later.You guys are just too da.mn clever for your own good.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by T9ksy(m): 10:59am On Feb 07, 2011
Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PM
Why won't 3rd generation igbos fight along Lagosians if they are considered Lagosians and given equal right and opportunity to contribute to both the development and defence of the city.
Who asked them? Abegi, make dem go contribute to the development and defence of their region 1st.I don’t see them asking for equal rights and opportunity in Kano, Kaduna or Kafanchan.Abi , dem no get 3rd generation igbos in these areas? Or have they all being wiped out by the indigenes.

When people are living among you and you still consider them migrants after 2nd, 3rd, generation, they will begin to think that and will not owe allegiance to the state.
Once again, i repeat,Who ask them? Yes o, they are still migrants despite the fact that they are 3rd, 4th or even 10th generation. If they don’t like it they don’t have to stay. When you are in rome, you behave like the romans else the romans will send you packing from rome.

Genuine nationalism is understanding what is good for the state, contributing to the state and protecting the interest of the state.
Did I just read you right? Genuine nationalism in Nigeria? Where was this authentic nationalism when a drawn cartoon of a religious leader from the Arab world by a white man necessitate the killings of Nigerians by fellow so-called Nigerians?
here's a quote from the northern house of assembly in 1964:
"ALHAJI USMAN LIMAN (Sarkin Musawa): "What brought the Ibos into this Region? They were here since the Colonial Days. Had it not been for the Colonial Rule there would hardly have been any Ibo in this Region. Now that there is no Colonial Rule the Ibos should go back to their Region. There should be no hesitation about this matter. Mr. Chairman, North is for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners and The Federation is for all.

It is a known fact that no society.culture can survive in isolation
That is a matter of opinion o, my brother. If a society decides to stay in isolation, of what concern is that to you?

There must be interraction with other people. But you have to give these people rights and sense of belonging
Yeah, like the northerners has been interacting with the igbos since 1945. I beg carry go, jo.who the hell are you to determine for others that they MUST interact with their neighbours.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by KnowAll(m): 4:03pm On Feb 07, 2011
The constitution is more generous to the term citizen of a state than what most of us including myself are spewing on this thread. I think if u resides in a state for about 5 years whether u can speak the language or not, it is within your right to claim citizen of that state.

Obviously there are some salient points the constitution is silence on or should I say not specific about, and there are some conventions in our minds that we as citizens have accepted as a norm and won’t let go no matter worth.

We actually go on air to re-enforce these fables which are not only incorrect but misleading, we go on internet forums and other media outlet to scare people from knowing what the true position of things are with regards to their rights and what states they can claim as theirs.

Can someone please post a copy of what the true position of the 1999 constitution is on this matter? Rather than us engaging each other in an un-necessary mudslinging it is better we deal facts and figures.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Tsiya(m): 9:00pm On Feb 07, 2011

42. (1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-

(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions are not made subject; or

(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions.

(2) No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth.

(3) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law by reason only that the law imposes restrictions with respect to the appointment of any person to any office under the State or as a member of the armed forces of the Federation or member of the Nigeria Police Forces or to an office in the service of a body, corporate established directly by any law in force in Nigeria.

43. Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, every citizen of Nigeria shall have the right to acquire and own immovable property anywhere in Nigeria.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_4
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Tsiya(m): 9:15pm On Feb 07, 2011
15. (1) The motto of the Federal Republic of Nigeria shall be Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress.

(2) Accordingly, national integration shall be actively encouraged, whilst discrimination on the grounds of place of origin, sex, religion, status, ethnic or linguistic association or ties shall be prohibited.

(3) For the purpose of promoting national integration, it shall be the duty of the State to:

(a) provide adequate facilities for and encourage free mobility of people, goods and services throughtout the Federation.

(b) secure full residence rights for every citizen in all parts of the Federation.

(c) encourage inter-marriage among persons from different places of origin, or of different religious, ethnic or linguistic association or ties; and

(d) promote or encourage the formation of associations that cut across ethnic, linguistic, religious and or other sectional barriers.

(4) The State shall foster a feeling of belonging and of involvement among the various people of the Federation, to the end that loyalty to the nation shall override sectional loyalties.

(5) The State shall abolish all corrupt practices and abuse of power.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_2

17. (1) The State social order is founded on ideals of Freedom, Equality and Justice.

(2) In furtherance of the social order-

(a) every citizen shall have equality of rights, obligations and opportunities before the law;

(b) the sanctity of the human person shall be recognised and human dignity shall be maintained and enhanced;

(c) governmental actions shall be humane;

(d) exploitation of human or natural resources in any form whatsoever for reasons, other than the good of the community, shall be prevented; and

(e) the independence, impartiality and integrity of courts of law, and easy accessibility thereto shall be secured and maintained.

(3) The State shall direct its policy towards ensuring that-

(a) all citizens, without discrimination on any group whatsoever, have the opportunity for securing adequate means of livelihood as well as adequate opportunity to secure suitable employment;

(b) conditions of work are just and humane, and that there are adequate facilities for leisure and for social, religious and cultural life;

(c) the health, safety and welfare of all persons in employment are safeguarded and not endangered or abused;

(d) there are adequate medical and health facilities for all persons:

(e) there is equal pay for equal work without discrimination on account of sex, or on any other ground whatsoever;

(f) children, young persons and the age are protected against any exploitation whatsoever, and against moral and material neglect;

(g) provision is made for public assistance in deserving cases or other conditions of need; and

(h) the evolution and promotion of family life is encouraged.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_2
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2011
You think those quotes settle the matter, Tsiya?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Tsiya(m): 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You think those quotes settle the matter, Tsiya?

no.

Somebody was looking for constitutional support and I humbly provided.

There are 150 million Nigerians, they are the one to settle this matter.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Tsiya(m): 9:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
T9ksy:

Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PM Who asked them? Abegi, make dem go contribute to the development and defence of their region 1st.I don’t see them asking for equal rights and opportunity in Kano, Kaduna or Kafanchan.Abi , dem no get 3rd generation igbos in these areas? Or have they all being wiped out by the indigenes.

Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PM Once again, i repeat,Who ask them? Yes o, they are still migrants despite the fact that they are 3rd, 4th or even 10th generation. If they don’t like it they don’t have to stay. When you are in rome, you behave like the romans else the romans will send you packing from rome.

Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PM Did I just read you right? Genuine nationalism in Nigeria? Where was this authentic nationalism when a drawn cartoon of a religious leader from the Arab world by a white man necessitate the killings of Nigerians by fellow so-called Nigerians?
here's a quote from the northern house of assembly in 1964:

Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PMThat is a matter of opinion o, my brother. If a society decides to stay in isolation, of what concern is that to you?

Quote from:Tsiya on: February 05, 2011, 01:02 PMYeah, like the northerners has been interacting with the igbos since 1945. I beg carry go, jo.who the hell are you to determine for others that they MUST interact with their neighbours.

1st, Im not here to win arguements.

2nd, refutation of someone arguement should be logical. You do not pick a sentence that you think is faulty and respond to it. If you want to respond to arguement, be matured, and respond to the full arguement. Sentences do not stand in isolation. They support each other to make a logical sense.

3rd, your anger and animosity will not stop Ndigbo and yoruba going to the north to live and do business; and no amount of religious/ethnic crises can stop them. You know why? Because humans, like birds, migrate, political boundry or not. People move from higher population density to lower population density.

4th, I'm not Alhaji Usman. Alhaji Usman was speaking for himself and less likely the people that he represented at that time. That was 1964. You cannot hold me, or any northerner, except Alhaji Usman, for what he said. Just like no one can hold any German responsible for the utterrances of hitler (not that the two are directly comparable  smiley)And more importantly, we don't have northern nigerian government now.

5th, there are more southerners in the north than there are northerners in the south. If you are not among those that migrated to the north you will not understand why they are there and you cannot bring them back no matter how many blue coloured lines you write on the internet. It will be in your own interest, not mine, to understand the reason why they are migrating to the north despite the religious difference, the riots etc. It is in the intereste of everyone to find a lasting solution to this problem. Picking loop holes in arguements do not solve the wider problem.

6th, you need to cool down.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 11:10pm On Feb 07, 2011
@Tsiya.You are quite logical and neutral in your approach.I have met several Lagos State indigenes living in Port Harcourt.I have met several Rivers state indigenes in Abuja.I have also met several Kano indigenes in Aba.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by T9ksy(m): 1:02am On Feb 08, 2011
@ Tsiya,
Am not here to win arguments either. infact i hardly post comments, i just read and move on.
On my 1st point, i was referring to settlers in my region telling i should accord them equal rights and opportunuity in my region when i know they will not afford me similar latitude in their region. most annoying of all, is when they turn round and start bragging about how many businesses they own in my region when i actually have first hand experience of how this came to be.

as per your migration theory, you will never catch me going to the north for all the tea in china. My uncle who incidentally happens to be a muslim was slaughtered in the aftermath of the miss world contest riot in abuja. another one of my friends lost his dad as a result of the various riots in the north 6 years ago.

The Alhaji Usman example was just an excerpt from the proceedings from northern house of assembly. they were many more that illustrate the feelings the north arbors for us southerners. the 1953 massacre of Igbos was actually slated for Akintola visit to the north but he did not turn up and the northern elite decided to make do with the igbos instead. afterall, they are southerners too. so they will do.

am not attempting to deter anyone form migrating to wherever they want to but you can't tell me that i should interact with my neighbours if i don't want to. The sardunna did not believe in One nigeria as he was fearful of his people being exposed to the decadent lifestyle of us southerners. was he wrong? certainly not.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 2:11am On Feb 08, 2011
Tsiya:

no.

Somebody was looking for constitutional support and I humbly provided.

There are 150 million Nigerians, they are the one to settle this matter.
Oh okay. Alright.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by nlPoster: 11:39pm On Oct 14, 2019
To me, indigene means you can trace your ancestry back to the pre-modern history of a place.

Settler means you know where your ancestors came from (during the same era as the above).

Just offhand without looking at a dictionary.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kassim Gaidam Urges Edo Voters To Vote & Leave For Security Reason / How Is Your State Governor Fighting Corruption? / Is A Death Trap Being Laid For Buhari???! (Photos!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.