Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,829 members, 7,956,147 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:31 AM

Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? (5831 Views)

How To Get An F In The University – Guide To Failing In A Nigerian University / Is It Possible To Become An A Grade Student From F Grade? / FUTO Supplementary Admission List Batch D And E Has Been Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by frankosivue(m): 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
Squillaci:

All grades are from A to C are recorded as C.
I don't understand you.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by frankosivue(m): 10:03pm On Jul 13, 2020
swagguElite:

Lolz. No mind the yeye guy.
That's if the carryover exam doesn't clash with your current level paper. You think say na UK we dey. I wrote normal two(2) exams in a day when still in Uni steadily. Now imagine I carried over a course. How I wan read for three(3) papers in a day n get A on resit. Are we okay?? No wait, tell me Do we want to be okay??
Smiles... Assuming everything goes well (which often doesn't) the F will affect his overall grade making even the A no better than at best C in that particular course.

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Openbusiness3: 10:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
edoairways:

And how are you sure you would pass such course the second time or better still score high?
there's no certainty, it is entirely up to the student to determine the outcome. But what is certain is, he / she is getting a 2nd chance to do it. What the student does with the 2nd Chance is on the student and it's the student that will reap the reward or consequences
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Hahjascho(m): 1:06am On Jul 14, 2020
It's not better pls. Let's say someone had F in a 3unit course. Then, it will be 0points (out of 15)/3.

If he now rewrites it, say he got A, then the calculation will go thus...(0) + (15)/3=. What this means is that, 15 point is lost from the previous Cgpa calculation...i.e 0/3 in that course unit which will drastically suck your Cgpa for that semester... due to the increased number of load unit with nill points added. It's like adding 0 to the previous 4.5cgpa (e.g 135 + 0/ 30 +3) and dividing after 3load unit is added..(135/33)= 4.09. grin

Rewriting it simply means you're registering for another course unit.

If it was D or E, it means you either scored 6 or 3 out of the possible 15 (instead of 0 for F)... for that same semester.

Getting F will have done the harm already just before rewriting it....if you like gets 5As, the first would still have affected the current Cgpa just before rewriting it. I hope you understand. The higher the credit load units, the more risky your Cgpa becomes.

What the Op is insinuating is only feasible if the failed course can actually be removed... which is however not possible or when you get As in more of other courses you will be offering.
Those who understand what it means to go around campuses with calculator just for the sake of CGPA can well, relate with my points.

2 Likes

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:07am On Jul 14, 2020
frankosivue:
Smiles... Assuming everything goes well (which often doesn't) the F will affect his overall grade making even the A no better than at best C in that particular course.
In my school,an A from a carry over course has the same value as a first time A.
That is why I made this post..
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:11am On Jul 14, 2020
Hahjascho:
It's not better pls. Let's say someone had F in a 3unit course. Then, it will be 0points (out of 15)/3.

If he now rewrites it, say he got A, then the calculation will go thus...(0) + (15)/3=. What this means is that, 15 point is lost from the previous Cgpa calculation...i.e 0/3 in that course unit which will drastically suck your Cgpa for that semester... due to the increased number of load unit with nill points added. It's like adding 0 to the previous 4.5cgpa (e.g 135 + 0/ 30 +3) and dividing after 3load unit is added..(135/33)= 4.09. grin

Rewriting it simply means you're registering for another course unit.

If it was D or E, it means you either scored 6 or 3 out of the possible 15 (instead of 0 for F)... for that same semester.

Getting F will have done the harm already just before rewriting it....if you like gets 5As, the first would still have affected the current Cgpa just before rewriting it. I hope you understand. The higher the credit load units, the more risky your Cgpa becomes.

What the Op is insinuating is only feasible if the failed course can actually be removed... which is however not possible or when you get As in more of other courses you will be offering.
Those who understand what it means to go around campuses with calculator just for the sake of CGPA can well, relate with my points.
But in the end,every course have their required credit unit you must take..
In the end you must offer all the courses which will be added together and divided by your total points irrespective of what you got every semester.. grin

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:12am On Jul 14, 2020
lalasticlala I great you sir grin
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:15am On Jul 14, 2020
Openbusiness3:
there's no certainty, it is entirely up to the student to determine the outcome. But what is certain is, he / she is getting a 2nd chance to do it. What the student does with the 2nd Chance is on the student and it's the student that will reap the reward or consequences
Exactly,I've seen people fail courses because of missing scripts,laziness,complacency and a few other reasons that has nothing to do with IQ..
I've seen students get As and Bs after an F..
And in my school,the A has the same value..

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:16am On Jul 14, 2020
Barryseal:

so chances of getting an A is very slim when repeating the same course with same lecturer.
But still,many people get it..
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:18am On Jul 14, 2020
Maj196:
That grade E saved lives that time for school shocked
And destroyed final CGPAs grin
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:19am On Jul 14, 2020
Squillaci:

In my school
In mine,an A from a carry over course has the same value,hence the post...
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by FamousMonk: 5:20am On Jul 14, 2020
Mr2kul:

LOL,, Really @OP.... F grade does not add anything to your result (CGPA). If you like carry over the course and get an A, it won't change anything rather it gives you more load just like what this Uncle pointed out.. It reduces your chances of getting high grade point that semester. D is better than F, except you don't know how CGPA is been calculated. PERIOD
frankosivue:
In my school,an A from a carry over course has the same value as a first time A.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Barryseal: 7:17am On Jul 14, 2020
FamousMonk:

But still,many people get it..
Many yet get to rewrite the carry over multiple times. Never pray to get carry over in a challenging course. Every department have such courses. I have seen students repeat a course 3 times.
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by frankosivue(m): 11:06am On Jul 14, 2020
FamousMonk:

How is that possible Follow me carefully let me show you how and why having E is better.

1. Let's assume that you offered 5 3-credit units courses in your first semester and had 4As and 1F so we have:
Course 1 = A = 15 points
Course 2 = A = 15 points
Course 3 = A = 15 points
Course 4 = A = 15 points
Course 5 = A = 0 points

GPA for the semester = Summation of credit points /summation of credit units = 60/15 = 4.0GP
CGPA = 4.0GP

2. You know have the opportunity to take that course you failed in addition to 5 second semester 3-credit units courses which you managed to hit all As let's calculate:
Course 1 = A = 15 points
Course 2 = A = 15 points
Course 3 = A = 15 points
Course 4 = A = 15 points
Course 5 = A = 15 points
Course 6 = A = 15 points

GPA for the semester = 90/18 = 5.0GP
Now CGPA (pay attention here!) = summation of all semester's credit points / all semester's credit units = 60+90/15+18= 150/33= 4.55GP!

Now I did the calculation assuming it was E and ended up with 4.6GP (I'd love to show it here but no space).

1 Like

Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by samuelpeters(m): 12:49pm On Jul 14, 2020
FamousMonk:

But in the end,every course have their required credit unit you must take..
In the end you must offer all the courses which will be added together and divided by your total points irrespective of what you got every semester.. grin
Hehehehe...
Have you gone to your School Exams and Records to Confirm.
In the End,if your Total Credit units was supposed to be 500 and Courses 100...it would be 500+(x) and 100+(x) because of Carryover(They never Over Look it).
All what the Registry is After is that,you MUST pass all your Required Courses before Leaving.
If it doesn't Affect overall CGPA, Academic Advicers will be Telling some students to Score F rather than D or E Trust me. grin
It will be seen Like this;
From what i said above
Maybe the failed course is GNS 101...
total courses will be
1.GNS 101=0
2.GNS 101=10
99. PHY 402=10
100.PHY 403=10
101.PHY 405=8

Like that,Like that.....
Re: Is An F Grade Much Better Than a D And An E ? by Ebenezer2021(m): 12:54am On Jun 07, 2021
Brandonx:
You are probably in your 100 ,200 or 300 level there was a time I had a D then. I was so excited because it was a massive failure only 3 persons had a C, it would definitely have an adverse effect on the CGPA. But when you think about the stress coupled with your current total credits for the Section and the classes might be clashing with your current classes. Then you would know let my people go is better sometimes

But the best is to study very hard .
God bless you so much for this.
You nailed it

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Aborted Baby Found In Amina Hall Of Abu Zaria. Picture / Photo:what Does It Mean When Calculator Write This? / Help Me, My Angel Wants To Kill Herself Because Of Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.