Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper (930 Views)

JUST-IN: Prof Soyinka Is Dead / JUST-IN: Prof Soyinka Is Dead / Wole Soyinka Is The Reason For Poor Education In Nigeria "Reno Omokri Says" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 13, 2020
Today, July 13, 2020, emeritus professor Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka celebrates his 86th birthday. The first Nobel Prize winner in Africa, he is a famous playwright, poet, and essayist. He is also an activist and strong critic of successive Nigerian governments.

Contrary to the claims of some people, especially on this thread, the literary colossus doesn't worship Ogun, one of the traditional deities in Yorubaland, and there's no evidence that this claim is true.

In an interview with the Academy of Achievements in 2009, while answering a question about religion, he said: "I learned very early of traditional deities (of the) Yorùbá: Ogun, for instance, God of Iron, the Road, Poetry, et cetera; Shango, God of Lightning.

"I found the traditional religions far more fascinating, because they didn’t force me to go to the regular service and dress up and things like that. A bit more relaxed, more humanist in my view. But it didn’t mean that I didn’t like the other religions either. I was a member of the church choir quite early, because I liked music, and in any case, as a son of the headmaster who was also a deacon...

"I think both my parents tried too hard, so I rebelled quite early and found myself more attuned to a comparative approach to religions, comparative." Source

Furthermore, in his book, "Climate of Fear: The Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World", which was published in 2007, he explained, "I already had certain agnostic tendencies—which would later develop into outright atheistic convictions— so it was not that I believed in any kind of divine protection."

He considers Ogun as his Muse (a source of inspiration and patron) but doesn't worship or believe in him as God.

As a matter of fact, he's one of the foremost atheists and irreligionists in Nigeria and Africa.
CC: Seun, Mynd44, OAM4J

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by ZKOSOSO(m): 9:38am On Jul 13, 2020
Soyinka himself is a god.......!

Ordinary Man....Priest....Chief Priest.....god.! (deity)

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Chris6music: 9:59am On Jul 13, 2020
Nice try ...we know b4
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 13, 2020
Chris6music:
Nice try ...we know b4
Some people don't know or are being mischievous.
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by emexc11(m): 10:28am On Jul 13, 2020
Irrelevant
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Onnasucs1(m): 2:52pm On Jul 13, 2020
So which one should we believe?
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2020
Onnasucs1:
So which one should we believe?
What the prof himself said, not what some online posters claim.

You can check the second link above to watch videos of one of his interview sessions, where he discussed his religious convictions.

Will post more updates later.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by nairavsdollars(f): 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2020
a key member of Ogboni confraternity
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
nairavsdollars:
a key member of Ogboni confraternity
You know their members?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Onnasucs1(m): 3:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

What the prof himself said, not what some online posters claim.

You can check the second link above to watch videos of one of his interview sessions, where he discussed his religious convictions.

Will post more updates later.
I've always believed that he is an atheist, until today when I saw that thread on front page
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2020
Onnasucs1:
I've always believed that he is an atheist, until today when I saw that thread on front page
That thread on front page is misinformation. He's one of the publicly known atheists/irreligionists in Nigeria.

That's not even news. Only the Indolmie generation of Nigerians may not know.
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by IamWonderful: 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2020
Everyone can just claim what they perceived without affirmation
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2020
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 13, 2020
Re: Wole Soyinka Is Not An Ogun Worshipper by Onnasucs1(m): 8:51pm On Jul 13, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Top Igbo Women Check List / Petition Finally Nails Tinubu [petition Enclosed] / Unity: Nnamdi Kanu In Support With Afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.