Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,232 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War (35959 Views)

Yakubu Gowon Slumps At Burial Of David Akpodiete Ejoor In Delta State / Moment Yakubu Gowon Heard About His Overthrow While In Uganda / Yakubu Gowon Salutes President Buhari (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Openbusiness3: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2020
grin
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by crestedaguiyi: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2020
go on with ine Nigeria = gowon
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by israelmao(m): 9:04am On Jul 14, 2020
Confusion time because time is never a permanent friend.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Spatta: 9:06am On Jul 14, 2020
Exactly what they are Doing to Sowore, They always do the same thing to the best and the brightest. They detain them and silence them or Kill them

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by babajero(m): 9:07am On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
This life sha no one knows tommorrow undecided

be kind to people you meet in life because you don't know where you might fall tommorow cool

i just imagine should soyinka decides that he wants to take revenge for what he went through in prison now cry

¿ cool %
How is he going to do that
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by XXXXTENTACION: 9:07am On Jul 14, 2020
babajero:
How is he going to do that
By kicking his ass
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by atiku4President(m): 9:09am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.
Don't mind him. They are always afraid of anything growing in any other part of the South, except for South West
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by mukthar2000(m): 9:10am On Jul 14, 2020
Prof u are mouthed.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by MoIbrahim: 9:13am On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:

be kind to people you meet in life because you don't know where you might fall tommorow cool

i just imagine should soyinka decides that he wants to take revenge for what he went through in prison now cry

¿ cool %

Revenge what? Those were some of his greatest years cos the prison made him really reflect deeply and become what he later became. Please try to read "The Man Died, Prison Notes of Wole Soyinka". That marked the beginning of his greatness in writing.

6 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Chirowman(m): 9:18am On Jul 14, 2020
one day we shall all face judgement, Gowon is now innocent man.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by mvem(m): 9:25am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.
you know he was one of the few that stood up for Biafra during the war and the atrocities that's why he was arrested throughout the war...Go and read "The mad died"

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Exmilitant(m): 9:25am On Jul 14, 2020
9gerian:
I saw a tvc interview where Soyinka said he had told Gowon after his release from prison that had places been traded, he (as commander in chief) would have put Gowon (a troublemaker) in jail earlier than Gowon put him (Soyinka) in jail. Pure class!

Soyinka also confirmed that Ojukwu told him in clear terms that he bore no grudge, and had never said anything untoward against Awolowo as he understood that each party had acted in the best interest of their own people.

These 2 clarifications suggests that these gladiators of old were far more mature, and pragmatic than the hot blooded youths of today who are mostly driven by weak sentiments and raw emotions.

contrary to your opinions, i think the actual reasons the civil war happened was because the leaders on both sides were very young and unreasonable as some experts alleged. Remember Ojukwu defied all efforts by some elder statesmen from the west and other part of the country to make peace?

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by mvem(m): 9:26am On Jul 14, 2020
atiku4President:

Don't mind him. They are always afraid of anything growing in any other part of the South, except for South West
you know he was one of the few that stood up for Biafra during the war and the atrocities that's why he was arrested throughout the war...Go and read "The mad died"

4 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by WebCreator: 9:30am On Jul 14, 2020
Gowon is one of the best Nigeria ever had

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by erinalex: 9:31am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

But you have not lost your voice, so can carry on, from where Soyinka stopped.

At 86yrs old, you still want he to talk on your behalf ?

Continue to wait for Soyinka to voice out, before you know what to do; as if it's in the constitution for Soyinka to talk.

Very useless indomie generation, when Soyinka was of age, he has led so many crusades.

What have you done for your own immediate society, that you now expect Soyinka to talk, for u to know what to do

6 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by emezuo17: 9:32am On Jul 14, 2020
engrchykae:
soyinka didn't stand up for ojukwu rather he stood up for justice for all.
He understood how evil the caliphate is,he knew that if the Igbo is silenced,the entire south will lose.
He understood the Dynamics
. You are enlightened.

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by seyi360(m): 9:35am On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:

¿ cool %

Wetin Soyinka fit do now?
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:37am On Jul 14, 2020
engrchykae:
He understood how evil the caliphate is,he knew that if the Igbo is silenced,the entire south will lose.

You want to bring tribalism into the selfless service of Wole Soyinka?

Soyinka went because he knew that war wouldn't solve anything. He knew that the Igbos were not ready for war, and that they would suffer severely.

And that was the truth.

And that was exactly what happened. Millions of lives were lost, and still Igbos didn't get Biafra. They didn't even get a national remembrance day for those Biafran soldiers who lost their lives, or those children and women who died from starvation or bullets and bombs.

Soyinka didn't go there thinking of a caliphate or a North vs South tussle mentality.

And mind you, the Igbos were silenced, and nothing changed adversely for the South.

The truth is that the hegemony that the North enjoy till this day is all thanks to the British who started favoring the North right from the beginning. This was further supported by Azikwe and the NCNC who let One Nigeria blind them to reason.

6 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by sisisioge: 9:42am On Jul 14, 2020
Its surprising how Shoyinka kept looking good in his old age! Good bless you papi kiss

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by sheyitokz(m): 9:48am On Jul 14, 2020
soyinka issa legendary

4 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:51am On Jul 14, 2020
sisisioge:
Its surprising how Shoyinka kept looking good in his old age! Good bless you papi kiss

I like that man no be small.

I think he is a very jovial man.

Read his plays, they are always humorous. I think they indicate that there is always never a dull moment around Prof which may explain why he has aged well.

Another thing is that he appears to like red wine. There was an interview he granted while I was still a child. He said that there was a time he went into the jungle to write. He filled the boot of his car with bottles of red wine, and he spent a month or thereabout in the jungle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by sportFX: 9:53am On Jul 14, 2020
engrchykae:

There are abt 3 interviews which ojukwu himself mentioned this, are you saying you know more than Ojukwu regarding who supported him or not?

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:

¿ cool %

How can he take revenge? Has Gowon become a small man to you or you think Soyinka has grown higher than him?

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by backnbeta(f): 9:59am On Jul 14, 2020
SaintBeehot:
Bigotry as eaten deep in the nook and cranny of their bone marrow, As in a whole Noble prize winner they just think they could open their mouth to insult him at their will.
Nobel or not, it is just very distasteful to disrespect an elderly person, especially an 'old', respectable man like Prof Woke Soyinka!

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by mu2sa2: 10:02am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
You that was singing jona, jona, where is Jonathan today? From Aso rock to otueke village!

4 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 14, 2020
ProfOlu:
Wole Soyinka turns 86 years today, he has been a critics, who always fights for justice, democracy, and rule of law. During the civil war, General Yakubu Gowon arrested and detained him.

Wole Soyinka At 86: “Why I Detained Him During Civil War”- Yakubu Gowon

http://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2020/07/12/soyinka-at-86-why-i-detained-him-during-civil-war-gowon/

He was my current age 50 years ago. O God, give me long life and sound health.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by faoogoke(m): 10:05am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

If Soyinka did what he did at that time for the Nation, what have you done or are you doing for Nigeria? And at your age which is past Soyinka's age at

that time.

He has played his part and very well. You are there doing 9ja bet! Useless youth!

4 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by babajero(m): 10:35am On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
By kicking his ass
Hahaha you are really funny, it will be really epic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#EndSARS: No Amount Of Attacks Can Deny Tinubu Right To Contest In 2023 –Junaid / Obasanjo Being Accredited [Photo] / Boko Haram Used Chibok Ransom To Buy Powerful Weapons – Military Sources (Punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.