Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War (35984 Views)

Yakubu Gowon Slumps At Burial Of David Akpodiete Ejoor In Delta State / Moment Yakubu Gowon Heard About His Overthrow While In Uganda / Yakubu Gowon Salutes President Buhari (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by pgmind: 10:43am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.
Youths should continue from where he stopped? Do you expect him to continue activism at that age?

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by LogicStatement: 11:05am On Jul 14, 2020
9gerian:
I saw a tvc interview where Soyinka said he had told Gowon after his release from prison that had places been traded, he (as commander in chief) would have put Gowon (a troublemaker) in jail earlier than Gowon put him (Soyinka) in jail. Pure class!

Soyinka also confirmed that Ojukwu told him in clear terms that he bore no grudge, and had never said anything untoward against Awolowo as he understood that each party had acted in the best interest of their own people.

These 2 clarifications suggests that these gladiators of old were far more mature, and pragmatic than the hot blooded youths of today who are mostly driven by weak sentiments and raw emotions.

I watched the interview too. It was Omatsaye's show on TVC. Soyinka said he had private discussions about the civil war with Gowon and Ojukwu separately, and they all agreed the war was unnecessary and pointless. He said Ojukwu wouldn't have gone to war if he knew better, reason why he never had a grudge with Awolowo who took the decisions he took (pre or during the war) for the interest of his own people

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Ojukwudfugitive: 11:08am On Jul 14, 2020
temptnow:
Gowon with the amount of innocent blood you killed, you're going to hell soon
Then, Ojukwu, who facilitated the killings as a result of his greed to corner the Niger Delta oil, is already burning in hellfire.

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfBrugo: 11:08am On Jul 14, 2020
He was your guest but you held him in solitary confinement. You wanted to break his spirit and destroy his mind.

But Wole Soyinka is an extraordinary mind. He survived unjust incarceration (in solitary confinement) and went on to win the nobel prize for literature.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 14, 2020
Today is his 86th birthday I was born in 86 his book the man died is delivering to my house today, this can only be God

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SAMBARRY: 11:20am On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
See this full that was shouting during Jonathan's regime has now finally lost his voice.
a fool that cannot spell fool.

Uncle take it easy before you quench on top woles matter

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Natilolo(m): 11:27am On Jul 14, 2020
temptnow:
what if God has forgiven him? We can't see beyond our noses.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Dedetwo(m): 11:43am On Jul 14, 2020
laiperi:
I did not know that Wole Soyinka has power to retaliate on Gowon. Even if he has, he is too graceful.

He took too many risks. Especially standing up for Ojukwu. He has since been called a traitor.

His grandkids are calling on him to fight for them now while they are busy with their soother, iPhone.

Soyinka did not standup for Ojukwu and was never a traitor as most Yari.ba peeps regraded him. He was smarter than most loudmouthed Yari.ba who did not understand the war was unnecessary and would leave everlasting wound among Nigerians. It is apparent Nigeria is headed the way of disintegration all thanks to the Nigeria\Biafra war. Even as I write this post, Nigeria is perpetually retrogressive due to the war.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by TruthinAction: 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2020
Gowon should please talk on more sensitive issues in the country.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2020
ProfOlu:
Wole Soyinka turns 86 years today, he has been a critics, who always fights for justice, democracy, and rule of law. During the civil war, General Yakubu Gowon arrested and detained him.

Wole Soyinka At 86: “Why I Detained Him During Civil War”- Yakubu Gowon

http://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2020/07/12/soyinka-at-86-why-i-detained-him-during-civil-war-gowon/

Detaining him, could not stop him, rather it gave him more strength.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by ProfOlu(m): 12:16pm On Jul 14, 2020
ProfOlu:
Wole Soyinka turns 86 years today, he has been a critics, who always fights for justice, democracy, and rule of law. During the civil war, General Yakubu Gowon arrested and detained him.

Wole Soyinka At 86: “Why I Detained Him During Civil War”- Yakubu Gowon
http://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2020/07/12/soyinka-at-86-why-i-detained-him-during-civil-war-gowon/

After his release from detention, he now became hardened, he became more of Activist during those military era, even during Abacha regime, he became serious nightmare for Abacha.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Elzakzaky: 12:24pm On Jul 14, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:

i just imagine should soyinka decides that he wants to take revenge for what he went through in prison now cry

¿ cool %
What can Soyinka do to Gowon? You too funny
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by barrwebilor(m): 12:39pm On Jul 14, 2020
Please somebody should save me from hunger and starvation. May God bless u abundantly. 0025050908. Stanbic ibtc
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Neddyogu(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2020
APCNig:

IF he is a "full", what is your father? Empty? Now, that Soyinka has stopped shouting, why can't you continue from where he stopped or are you dump and deaf?

Dumb/mute
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Commonsense99: 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2020
grin
Gowon the Nigeria you brag of fighting for, how far? Could he Gowon even move freely in his own hometown as at this July 2020 without the fear of fulani herdsmen? Idiaat grin

So 53 years later your demented skull have not yet deciphered that the likes of Ojukwu and Soyinka was right? grin
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Halo22: 12:58pm On Jul 14, 2020
Like play like play, this man is heading towards 90. He must have been very careful with his health all these while. Wish him many happy returns.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by EzeVals90: 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2020
Heaven and hell will reject you if u don’t confess your sins[/quote]
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by frog12: 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2020
GOWON was responsible for the WAR .

HE was SELFISH !
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Anointedvik: 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2020
grin I wish this ancient heroes should be preserved in a meseum ..
At least those wit zero regard for anything good will know nothing about them..simple!
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by sesan85(m): 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
So, ill-bred, ill-mannered oloriburuku, you're not aware of the endless insults Buharists now direct at him because of his criticism of Buhari? Where was your own useless father or grandfather while Soyinka was facing the military? Maybe you should go and learn how to spell first, ill-educated scoundrel! "FULL" indeed.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by engrchykae(m): 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2020
sportFX:

There are abt 3 interviews which ojukwu himself mentioned this, are you saying you know more than Ojukwu regarding who supported him or not?
another yoruba writer stated that in biafra ,africa died.
soyinka is a wiseman,he understood what he was fighting for,he just like herbert marcaulay was fighting for the good of the south but the awolowos and obasanjos decided to fight for politics

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by engrchykae(m): 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

You want to bring tribalism into the selfless service of Wole Soyinka?

Soyinka went because he knew that war wouldn't solve anything. He knew that the Igbos were not ready for war, and that they would suffer severely.

And that was the truth.

And that was exactly what happened. Millions of lives were lost, and still Igbos didn't get Biafra. They didn't even get a national remembrance day for those Biafran soldiers who lost their lives, or those children and women who died from starvation or bullets and bombs.

Soyinka didn't go there thinking of a caliphate or a North vs South tussle mentality.

And mind you, the Igbos were silenced, and nothing changed adversely for the South.

The truth is that the hegemony that the North enjoy till this day is all thanks to the British who started favoring the North right from the beginning. This was further supported by Azikwe and the NCNC who let One Nigeria blind them to reason.
what did i hear you say?
things are now better for the south?
before awolowo helped entrench the caliphate,the southern men were pillars,men who could talk where the northerners dare not open their illiterate mouths,men like anthony enahoro,herbert macaulay,zik,awolowo,ko mbadiwe,
men who rallied african youths to fight for independence when armadu bello and tafawa were busy staging anti independence riots in the north.
the south lost in biafra war,adekunle was dismissed ,obasanjo was a good slave,the north did sharia,he looked the other way,if it were to be odi,he will send soldiers.
cia warned him of boko haram in 2003 but because he need the vote of the north in 2004,he did nothing.
SINCE THE WAR,THE SOUTHERN POLITICAL FORTUNE HAVE BEEN AT THE MERCY OF THE NORTH,MKO,GEJ, AS WOULD SOON HAPPEN TO TINUBU
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Seun360(m): 3:14pm On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

Full glass of wine?

Olodo boy.
TANTUMERGO007:

Full glass of wine?

Olodo boy.
TANTUMERGO007:

Full glass of wine?

Olodo boy.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by YemyTemmy: 3:29pm On Jul 14, 2020
SaintBeehot:
you know my only problem with you guys?? you lack sense. Zero respect for elders.

Are you saying elders are always right? Everyone deserves to be respected , not just elders..... We have a long way to libration in Nigeria...it's really shameful
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2020
engrchykae:
what did i hear you say?
things are now better for the south?
before awolowo helped entrench the caliphate,the southern men were pillars,men who could talk where the northerners dare not open their illiterate mouths,men like anthony enahoro,herbert macaulay,zik,awolowo,ko mbadiwe,
men who rallied african youths to fight for independence when armadu bello and tafawa were busy staging anti independence riots in the north.
the south lost in biafra war,adekunle was dismissed ,obasanjo was a good slave,the north did sharia,he looked the other way,if it were to be odi,he will send soldiers.
cia warned him of boko haram in 2003 but because he need the vote of the north in 2004,he did nothing.
SINCE THE WAR,THE SOUTHERN POLITICAL FORTUNE HAVE BEEN AT THE MERCY OF THE NORTH,MKO,GEJ, AS WOULD SOON HAPPEN TO TINUBU

When did I write that things are now better for the South? Things are generally not better for any of the regions. As a matter of fact, things have merely deteriorated, and it has nothing to do with Biafra. It has more to do with our lack of discipline, and the rise of institutionalized corruption and our rising dependence on oil.

Please, the South did not lose in Biafra. It was the Southeast that lost.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by SaintBeehot(m): 4:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
YemyTemmy:

Are you saying elders are always right? Everyone deserves to be respected , not just elders..... We have a long way to libration in Nigeria...it's really shameful
Not Soyinka who has fought for them them(justice) all his life.
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by petrage(m): 4:44pm On Jul 14, 2020
temptnow:
Keep quiet..... are u God?
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Bimpe29: 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2020
Happy birthday to a legend, Prof Woke Soyinka
Re: Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War by Amanda4life: 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:

The fear of bubu is the beginning of gray hair

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Deji Adeyanju Denies Saying Peter Obi Offered Him Money / What Reno, Deji, All Said About Peter Obi Before He Decided To Run For Election / Fahim Saleh: Tyrese Haspil Arrested And Charged With Murder Of Gokada CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.