Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,408 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] (611 Views)

Oyedepo Offers Closing Sermon At Pastor Dare Adeboye's Farewell Service / Muslims Celebrate Christmas At Pastor’s House In Kaduna / Sharon Oyakhilome And Husband At Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's 55th Birthday Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by tawiatata: 12:29am On Jul 14, 2020
I just read this opinion article on Opera News and found the area on YouTube where the writer bitterly complained about Adeboye's sermon...

On Sunday I was indisposed to attend Sunday service so I tuned to a television station owned by the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, hoping to listen to sound doctrine from Pastor Enoch Adeboye, the church’s general overseer. I was filled with preparation of heart when the cleric was about to preach, but I became highly disappointed just few minutes into the commencement of his sermon.

Rather than teach sound doctrine as a religious teacher that he is meant to be (going by his position in the congregation), he was focused on vain doctrine with ungodly people as his example.

During his teaching, Pastor Adeboye made reference to the son of a head of state of an unnamed country (that he met) who had a whopping 220 rolls royce to himself, as an example of God’s blessings. He also made reference to the wife of an unnamed head of state who visited London, United Kingdom, to shop for personal effects in the most expensive mall for three consecutive days, and bought a brand new 737 passenger plane (the largest aircraft in the world), gifted the seats of the plane to the dealer that sold the aircraft and used the plane to transport her goods from London to her home country, and then left the goods untouched in a warehouse for 3 years (to imply she never needed the stuffs after all), and said it was a tip of what God can do.

It is unfortunately that Pastor Adeboye would mount the pulpit to use these two ungodly personalities that were illegally using the wealth of their respective countries to chase vain things as an example to his congregation.

During His ministration, Jesus Christ, our Perfect example, never preached vanity neither did He ever cite ungodly wealthy people as godly examples.

Jesus, in all His ministration, never made earthly possession as a doctrine but was strict on the kingdom of God. He clearly told his audience to first seek the kingdom and righteousness of God and all other things will fall in place (Matthew 6:33).

Whenever Jesus teaches of men with rich earthly possessions, He always condemned their vain lifestyle. For example, in the parable of the ungodly rich man and righteous poor Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31, Jesus Christ made his audience (which include us today) to understand that the rich man, who was consumed by his wealth, partying, eating and drinking, was actually poor for his lack of righteousness, while Lazarus who was wretched in earthly possession and homeless, was the actual rich man by his righteousness as he inherited God’s glory at death. Jesus never used ungodly people as example of God’s blessings or Glory in any form.

With the exception of the greedy and vain Judas Iscariot, neither of those who had direct access to Jesus and followed His teaching, were advocate of vain earthly things, nor did they use unrighteous wealthy and vain people to teach Christ. Even those that had direct access to Jesus’ disciples like Luke, never preached such doctrine.

In the old testament before the advent of Christianity, there were righteous wealthy men like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but these men were never after vain things although they were righteous and rich. King Solomon, who was consumed by his wealth and started chasing after the things of this world which made him to turn his heart away from God and had his kingdom divided, concluded that all are vanity upon vanity.

Furthermore, Apostle Paul in Colossians 3:2, admonished believers to set their affection on things of heaven and not on worldly possessions. So why should we do otherwise? Prosperity is never a Christian doctrine neither is the use of unrighteous wealthy people whose wealth are gotten illegitimately. However, those in Christ can never lack as God shall supply all their needs (Phil 4:19) because He is a caring and merciful Lord.

I am not an advocate of poverty, I believe in sound doctrine as I know that the blessings of God always follow His Children. I also know that God blesses those that put their absolute trust in Him, and His blessings only comes through legitimate earnings. I further know that true believers of God do not chase after vain things because Christ did not teach that. Instead, they offer helping hands to those in need. True believers will not waste public resources on extravagant spendings neither will they dip their hands into public funds. What Pastor Adeboye and every other Bible preacher owes his congregation is sound doctrine not teaching that adds nothing to one’s spiritual life, if indeed they are after God’s kingdom. It is inappropriate for one to stand on the pulpit to use people whose wealth can’t be matched with their legitimate earnings as example of God’s blessings.

Finally, “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

AUTHOR: Barcanista

SOURCE: https://opera.news/ng/en/religion/805587d0c240a1a6ae49f7d95632cb96?news_entry_id=s11dfef12200713en_ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTb9Sc2S5Sk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by chijokz(m): 3:13am On Jul 14, 2020
Why don't these pastors call The Most High - YAH and the Messiah - Yahushua? These are their real names and are very symbolic.
Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by Kobojunkie: 4:02am On Jul 14, 2020
chijokz:
Why don't these pastors call The Most High - YAH and the Messiah - Yahushua? These are their real names and are very symbolic.
YHWH is God's name in the Hebrew language, which only came into being about the time the Israelites showed up on the scene.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by kb83(m): 4:15am On Jul 14, 2020
I thought, I was the only one irritated by the message, thank God I have a Seconder, Brother you said it as it should be.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by Kobojunkie: 4:23am On Jul 14, 2020
tawiatata:
Rather than teach sound doctrine as a religious teacher that he is meant to be (going by his position in the congregation), he was focused on vain doctrine with ungodly people as his example.
Teach Sound doctrine? How many of His teachings have been exactly as Jesus Christ taught them? So how can "doctrine" be said to be sound when the majority of it has little to do with what Jesus Christ in fact taught? undecided
tawiatata:
During his teaching, Pastor Adeboye made reference to the son of a head of state of an unnamed country (that he met) who had a whopping 220 rolls royce to himself, as an example of God’s blessings. He also made reference to the wife of an unnamed head of state who visited London, United Kingdom, to shop for personal effects in the most expensive mall for three consecutive days, and bought a brand new 737 passenger plane (the largest aircraft in the world), gifted the seats of the plane to the dealer that sold the aircraft and used the plane to transport her goods from London to her home country, and then left the goods untouched in a warehouse for 3 years (to imply she never needed the stuffs after all), and said it was a tip of what God can do.
Well, that is to show you where the man's mind lies.
tawiatata:
It is unfortunately that Pastor Adeboye would mount the pulpit to use these two ungodly personalities that were illegally using the wealth of their respective countries to chase vain things as an example to his congregation.
Isn't this the same Adeboye who prays for and ministers to politicians? What is unfortunate about this reference?
tawiatata:
During His ministration, Jesus Christ, our Perfect example, never preached vanity neither did He ever cite ungodly wealthy people as godly examples.
Jesus, in all His ministration, never made earthly possession as a doctrine but was strict on the kingdom of God. He clearly told his audience to first seek the kingdom and righteousness of God and all other things will fall in place (Matthew 6:33).
Told His audience? He commanded His followers to obey His commandments.
tawiatata:
Whenever Jesus teaches of men with rich earthly possessions, He always condemned their vain lifestyle. For example, in the parable of the ungodly rich man and righteous poor Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31, Jesus Christ made his audience (which include us today) to understand that the rich man, who was consumed by his wealth, partying, eating and drinking, was actually poor for his lack of righteousness, while Lazarus who was wretched in earthly possession and homeless, was the actual rich man by his righteousness as he inherited God’s glory at death. Jesus never used ungodly people as example of God’s blessings or Glory in any form.
Jesus Christ never really condemned what you consider "vain lifestyle" in his teachings. No, He condemned wickedness... two different things here.
See, this is why listening to doctrines of men, you listen to lies of men... Righteousness refers to specific works that every follower of God is expected to carry out, and details of this can be found in Matthew 25 vs 31-40.
The rich man in the story of Lazarus did not do works of righteousness which includes feeding the poor, clothing the naked, housing the homeless, caring for the sick and visiting those in prison.
tawiatata:
With the exception of the greedy and vain Judas Iscariot, neither of those who had direct access to Jesus and followed His teaching, were advocate of vain earthly things, nor did they use unrighteous wealthy and vain people to teach Christ. Even those that had direct access to Jesus’ disciples like Luke, never preached such doctrine.
We don't know that Judas Iscariot was indeed vain. What we do know is that he was a thief and a murderer.
tawiatata:
In the old testament before the advent of Christianity, there were righteous wealthy men like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but these men were never after vain things although they were righteous and rich. King Solomon, who was consumed by his wealth and started chasing after the things of this world which made him to turn his heart away from God and had his kingdom divided, concluded that all are vanity upon vanity.
So, since we know that all is vanity upon vanity and there is no law against being vain, then it is safe to conclude that being vain is not a sin, not doing as God commanded is.
tawiatata:
I am not an advocate of poverty, I believe in sound doctrine as I know that the blessings of God always follow His Children. I also know that God blesses those that put their absolute trust in Him, and His blessings only comes through legitimate earnings. I further know that true believers of God do not chase after vain things because Christ did not teach that.
That one no be true. I chase after a good bucket of ice cream, a nice bowl of my favorite meal. Ask God and He will give it to you. That doesn't make me a sinner! grin
tawiatata:
Instead, they offer helping hands to those in need. True believers will not waste public resources on extravagant spendings neither will they dip their hands into public funds.
You call those ones thieves.
tawiatata:
What Pastor Adeboye and every other Bible preacher owes his congregation is sound doctrine not teaching that adds nothing to one’s spiritual life, if indeed they are after God’s kingdom. It is inappropriate for one to stand on the pulpit to use people whose wealth can’t be matched with their legitimate earnings as example of God’s blessings.
Finally, “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”
Owes you sound doctrine? You no get your own bible make you read for yourself? Wait for God to ask you why you get your own bible but still dey go dey listen to an ordinary man.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by Temotala: 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2020
Re: OPINION: My Disappointment At Pastor Adeboye’s Sunday Sermon [VIDEO] by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2020
Temotala:
The difference...
What difference?

(1) (Reply)

Be Heavenly Conscious / Why The Bible Had To Stop At Revelation / Pastor Sarah Jakes Roberts Sermon Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.