Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,281 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch (268 Views)

Vote-Buying: Politicians Plot New Strategies To Bypass Cash Crunch / Cash Crunch: Governors Push Out Palliatives In States / Naira Crunch: I Need N70m In ‘hard Copy’ For Election Expenses - Doguwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by agwom(m): 8:06am On Jul 15, 2020
Some teachers in Sokoto State are taking to farming to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on their livelihoods.

Since the closure of schools occasioned by the COVID-19, many of them have not received any salary.

s The prevailing situation, many teachers lament, have brought untold hardship to them as they neither have alternative means of sustenance nor the resources to venture into one.

“The last time we received salary was in April.

“In May, we were paid 21 percent of the total salary and that was N1O, 5OO.

“After that, there has been no payment,” 35-year-old Abdulmajeed Ajao, who teaches in a private secondary school in Sokoto said. “It has been very tough, but to God be the glory, we are surviving.”

Ajao, who is one of those who have found an option in farming, said: “Instead of just sitting at home, I decided to go into rice farming. “I discussed with a friend of mine that I needed farmland, he then discussed with somebody who is into Fadama farming.

“They gave us the piece of land, and we paid N5O, OOO to use for just four months.” For this new entrant, his entry into farming provides valuable insight into the viability of agriculture. Ajao says he realises how recompensing farming could be.

“In fact, as at present, I am even thinking of not going back to teaching in the private school anymore if I have my way. “If I have the capital that is required, I will go into large scale farming.

“I am impressed with what I have seen. “The way people around me are harvesting their rice is quite encouraging.

“Aside the amount of energy one puts into serving in the private school compared to the salary we get, if I can use that same energy on the farm within three, four months, it is not going to be small.”

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sokoto-teachers-turn-to-farm-to-survive-covid-19-crunch.html
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Chris6music: 8:08am On Jul 15, 2020
Eeyah
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by donstan18: 8:09am On Jul 15, 2020
Teachers are suffering and underrated in Nigeria.
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Baawaa(m): 8:10am On Jul 15, 2020
If one door closed another one will open
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Joshmodest(m): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2020
ok
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Pacesetterz: 8:21am On Jul 15, 2020
The truth is that some of us teachers will never go back to being a private school teacher after this pandemic. How can u be toiling and toiling but in the face of a pandemic that meagre salary can't help u sleep well at home...it has got most of us thinking and gnashing as well as filled with regrets for being a private school teacher.
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Pacesetterz: 8:23am On Jul 15, 2020
Some of u are saying if one door closes another opens...it's not as easy as that...wheres even the capital to start up a business? Even the Covid19 CBN loan is even hard to reach. The country isn't it abeg.
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by TransflectTP(m): 8:28am On Jul 15, 2020
It's well with teachers in this country
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Inkopere: 8:38am On Jul 15, 2020
Some will not develop sense now oh, they will still depend on salary when they resume.
Private teachers should have a side hustle with or without salary, las las private work na scam
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 15, 2020
These guys up north have no business being in school. They should all become farmers - all teachers and students in northern Nigeria.
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by Pacesetterz: 9:05am On Jul 15, 2020
After this pandemic so many smaller private schools might shut down because most teachers will move on with their new biz or better working places. This pandemic has opened the eyes of so many.
Re: Sokoto Teachers Turn To Farm To Survive COVID-19 Crunch by LibertyRep: 9:15am On Jul 15, 2020
Pacesetterz:
After this pandemic so many smaller private schools might shut down because most teachers will move on with their new biz or better working places. This pandemic has opened the eyes of so many.

This may not be far from the truth.
The Covid-19 shutdown has opened the eyes of so many people to other opportunities.

(1) (Reply)

APC Crisis Surfaces As Senate Screens Ambassadorial Nominees / Video: Moment Rivers Police Commissioner Stated His Men's Actions Were Legit / Was Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Truly An Ijaw Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.