Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,982 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? (11579 Views)

Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 9:06am On Feb 05, 2011
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 9:10am On Feb 05, 2011
Angelique Kidjo sings with a lot of Yoruba.

e.g the song Jenifa referred to is a popular Yoruba folklore where a girl that refused all suitors in her village thinking she was too pretty for them was married by Ori(head) Ori had to borrow other parts of the body to complete this fine boy image, when Olajumoke now realised that her new groom was a rolling head she wanted to run away and that song was used to call Ori.

another song. Babalawo by Angelique Kidjo

Yoruba folklore of a man who was told not to use his hand to eat for a while and he disobeyed his tummy bulged

of Babalawo mo wa bebe alugbinrin, won ni kin ma fi owo kan enu

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch=/v/QCWVipbM-aU[/flash]
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 9:12am On Feb 05, 2011
The Oyo empire spread all over west Africa into Benin republic, Togo and parts of Ghana.

In Akan Ghanaian laguage welcome is Akwabba, In Yoruba its E-kabo
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Jenifa1: 9:14am On Feb 05, 2011
^ yea babalawo is also another popular folktale Kidjo used in her music

Yoruba folklore of a man who was told not to use his hand to eat for a while and he disobeyed his tummy bulged
I thought it was a tortoise  grin
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 9:15am On Feb 05, 2011
^^ Yeah Jenifa,

Its the tortoise. You liar I thought you said you were Latvian.

Omo Yoruba Oya kini oruko e?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 9:15am On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

Angelique Kidjo sings with a lot of Yoruba.

e.g the song Jenifa referred to is a popular Yoruba folklore where a girl that refused all suitors in her village thinking she was too pretty for them was married by Ori(head) Ori had to borrow other parts of the body to complete this fine boy image, when Olajumoke now realised that her new groom was a rolling head she wanted to run away and that song was used to call Ori.

another song. Babalawo by Angelique Kidjo

of Babalawo mo wa bebe alugbinrin, won ni kin ma fi owo kan enu

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch=/v/QCWVipbM-aU[/flash]

She spoke a lil better here

But you'd have to agree with me that her intonation and pronunciation in Olajumoke was off!
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 9:17am On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

The Oyo empire spread all over west Africa into Benin republic, Togo and parts of Ghana.

One day all of West Africa shall be our dominion. It is destiny. . .
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 9:17am On Feb 05, 2011
^^^^

And I shall be the leader. . . hopefully

And jenifa my bride!
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 9:22am On Feb 05, 2011
Definitely the pronunciation are expected to vary.

Have you heard Ileke idi speaking her Ekiti language? Its worse than than Angelique Kidjos.

Even listen to Oku people from Sierra Leone when they speak their language which is a variation/dialect of Yoruba it sounds very different. Never mind the Cuba and Brazilians.

Its really civilisation that made our Yorubas in SW Nigeria similar, People are able to mix more and speak a more unified version of Yoruba.

Despite that self Me even as the best Yoruba speaker on Nairaland cant even understand some dialects in SW e.g Ijebu, Ekiti, Kogi(Okun) even Egba
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 9:43am On Feb 05, 2011
Maybe this Becomerichn's Benin Republic idea isn't so bad.

Will need to investigate further.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 9:54am On Feb 05, 2011
Seriously, I am beginning to see Becomrichn in a different light

The guy seems really knowledgeable
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 10:51am On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

Oyo Empire never extended into Ghana. Ghana was the domain of the Ashanti Empire. The Ashanti Confederacy includes parts of Togo & Cote D'ivoire. Oyo Empire clashed with the Ashanti empire in Togo, not Ghana. Most Ghanains never even  heard of Oyo.

So stop peddling falsehoods. I lived in Ghana for a few years and studied their history. The Ewe region of Ghana and Togo was a tributary state of the Ashantis. Oyo Empire clashed with the Ashanti over areas within modern day Togo. Not Ghana.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2011
EzeUche_:

Oyo Empire never extended into Ghana. Ghana was the domain of the Ashanti Empire. The Ashanti Confederacy includes parts of Togo & Cote D'ivoire. Oyo Empire clashed with the Ashanti empire in Togo, not Ghana. Most Ghanains never even  heard of Oyo.

So stop peddling falsehoods. I lived in Ghana for a few years and studied their history. The Ewe region of Ghana and Togo was a tributary state of the Ashantis. Oyo Empire clashed with the Ashanti over areas within modern day Togo. Not Ghana.

The Ewe people inhabit the territory equivalent roughly to the south-eastern quarter of Ghana and the southern half of TOGO. The EWE country is bounded by the rivers MONO and VOLTA and extends from the Atlantic coast inland up to about latitude 7. 6’N. in the east and latitude 7. 20’N. in the west. Across the south eastern boundary line a related people – the FON of BENIN (formerly DAHOMEY).The EWE people have not always lived in their present home. Their traditions recall a migration from the east – more precisely KETU a YORUBA town in modern BENIN. KETU is also called AMEDZOFE or MAWUFE in the accounts. KETU was founded by the YORUBA people by the fourteenth century at the latest. In it lived besides the forebears of the EWE, the YORUBA and the ancestors of the AJA, FON, and GA-DANGME. It was the expansion of the YORUBA people that pushed the EWE and related peoples westward.

The migrants went to live at TADO in present-day TOGO from where they later dispersed in various directions. Some returned east to settle at ALLADA from where they founded the AJA kingdom of ALLADA, WHYDAH, POPO and JAKIN, and later the FON kingdom of DAHOMEY in the early eighteenth century. The ancestors of the EWE went to live at NOTSIE, which was walled round. Here, the entire community known as DOGBOAWO lived together, each unit in its individual ward under its own head. All of them were ruled by the king of NOTSIE. The early kings ruled well and the kingdom expanded. Trouble began when AGOKOLI ascended the throne. It is not clear whether he was the third or fifth king. Because of his harsh and tyrannical, rule the people decided to escape. During the flight from NOTSIE the fugitives divided into three major groups. Broadly speaking, one group went to settle in the northern part of the new home. It founded the towns of HOHOE, MATSE, PEKI, KPANDO, AWUDOME, ALAVANYO, KPALIME, AGU, VE, KPEDZE and WODZE.The second group founded the settlements of HO, AKOVIE, TAKLA, KPENOE, HODZO, KLEVI, SOKODE, ABUTIA and ADAKLU. And the third group took the southern route and went to settle in the coastal region of the new homeland. It founded TSEVIE, BE – which later gave birth to AGOENYIVE, BAGIDA and LOME - TOGO, ABOBO, WHETA, ANLO, KLIKOR, AVE, FENYI, AFIFE, TSIAME, GAME, TAVIA, TANYIGBE, etc. Later other peoples from the west, ACCRA, ELMINA, LEKPOGUNO and DENKYERA came to settle near and amidst them. The GA (from Accra) settled around GLIDZI, the ANE or MINA from ELMINA settled at ANEXO, the DANGME from LADOKU settled at ADANGBE, AGOTIME, while the DENKYERA settled among the TONGU, along the river VOLTA. The traditions do not provide any absolute chronology of the episodes and incidents recounted. However, in the early twentieth century when the accounts were first recorded, tradition then put the arrival of the Ewe in their new home at ten or more generations back. Furthermore, the Ewe tradition concerning their accession to their new home is corroborated by evidence in the form of traditions of other people like the AJA, and FON and identifiable sites, recorded history and archaeological reconstruction.

http://www.torgbuijames-ocloo.org/The%20Ewe%20People%20I.htm
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 2:54pm On Feb 05, 2011
EzeUche_:

If you dont know stuffs just keep quiet instead of rambling about. Because you lived in Ghana means what?

From 1650 onward, the Oyo Empire entered a period of expansion, where it would extend its rule over most communities between the Volta River in the west to Benin and the Niger River in the east. The expansion of the Empire was made possible by the adept use of calvary and the use of part-time military forces recruited from its tributary states

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Oyo_Empire#The_height_of_the_Oyo_Empire
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

If you dont know stuffs just keep quiet instead of rambling about. Because you lived in Ghana means what?

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Oyo_Empire#The_height_of_the_Oyo_Empire

I hate having to correct your falsehoods, so I will provide you with maps. Now do not argue with me on this issue.

[b]Oyo never extended into modern day Ghana. [/b

]That was the realm of the Ashanti Empire and its tributary states that extended into Togo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashanti_Empire

Oyo Empire had a tributary state known as Dahomey, but even Dahomey did not extend into Ghana. Anyone who knows Ashanti history, would tell you that their power extended into modern day Togo. The Ashantis held sway over the Ewe as they used as a buffer state with Dahomey.

Why do you think the last major battle between the Ashanti Empire vs. Dahomey/Oyo was in Togo? It is funny how some of you descendants tried to extend Oyo into Ghana.

Many of us has  already discussed how Oyo extended into Togo through the use of its tributary state Dahomey. But, it NEVER was in Ghana. That is a fact. My maps clearly illustrate that. And not Oyo did not control all the Yoruba states. Some Yoruba kingdoms were out the realm of Oyo. I provided my sources.

Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2011
From 1650 onward, the Oyo Empire entered a period of expansion, where it would extend its rule over most communities between the Volta River in the west to Benin and the Niger River in the east. The expansion of the Empire was made possible by the adept use of calvary and the use of part-time military forces recruited from its tributary states

WHere is the Volta?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 05, 2011
Poster why do you assume the mahinmi guy is yoruba. He could be fon.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
Chyz why are you abusing yoruba people all over the place. Not cool at all. Also, i think your wife is on nl. Am i right?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

WHere is the Volta?

How did the Oyo get into the domain of the Ashanti Empire? Where are your sources? I have showed you maps of the traditional extent of both empires. Even Dahomey did not extend into the modern day Volta Region of Ghana.

Now show me a source that says Oyo extended into modern day Ghana. The burden of proof is on you.

I have never seen a source that says Oyo extended into Ghana.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Feb 05, 2011
Expansion
From 1650 onward, the [size=18pt]Oyo Empire entered a period of expansion, where it would extend its rule over most communities between the Volta River in the west to Benin and the Niger River in the east[/size]. The expansion of the Empire was made possible by the adept use of calvary and the use of part-time military forces recruited from its tributary states.
The height of Oyo's militaristic expansion was in 1748, following the subjugation of the Kingdom of Dahomey, which occured in two phases (1724–30, 1738–48). The empire then began trading with European merchants on the coast through the port of Ajase (Porto-Novo).
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2011
Dahomey's traditional extent - Keep in mind that Dahomey never extended into Ghana either. So how could Oyo extend into Ghana?

Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by sleekdot(m): 6:20pm On Feb 05, 2011
Still Dayokanu posting

Oyo empire, Yoruba state north of Lagos, in present-day southwestern Nigeria, that dominated, during its apogee (1650–1750), most of the states between the Volta River in the west and the Niger River in the east. It was the most important and authoritative of all the early Yoruba principalities.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/437048/Oyo-empire

Now can you post your sources which says Oyo empire didnt extend to Volta?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by sleekdot(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2011
Oyo empire
Yoruba state in present-day southwestern Nigeria that dominated the land between the Volta and Niger rivers in 1650–1750. Two waves of immigrants probably entered the area c. AD 700–1000, and the second wave formed a state at Oyo.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Oyo+empire
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:24pm On Feb 05, 2011
sleekdot:

Oyo empire
Yoruba state in present-day southwestern Nigeria that dominated the land between the Volta and Niger rivers in 1650–1750. Two waves of immigrants probably entered the area c. AD 700–1000, and the second wave formed a state at Oyo.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Oyo+empire

Ashanti Empire

The Ashanti Empire or Asante Empire, also known as the Ashanti Confederacy or Asanteman (independent from 1701–1896), was a pre-colonial West African state created by the Akan people of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana. Their empire stretched from central Ghana to present day Togo and Côte d'Ivoire, bordered by the Dagomba kingdom to the north and Dahomey to the east.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Ashanti+empire

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/37710/Asante-empire

How can two empires occupy the same space? That would be strange.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by sleekdot(m): 6:31pm On Feb 05, 2011
And where did you get it that they existed at the same time?

My sources said Oyo empire existed between 1650-1750 while your sources said Ashanti existed between 1701 and 1750

Meaning Oyo had 50yrs ahead of Ashanti

What if Oyo empire extended to the Volta between 1650 and 1690?

Just in a bid to attack you neglect common sense
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2011
You do know the problem of the internet. Different sources say different things and we all know this. My sources say otherwise.

I still stand by the fact that Oyo never extended into modern day Ghana.

Just like I corrected people who erroneously said that the Ewe were Yoruba. And that there were Yorubas in Ghana, because there are NONE.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:36pm On Feb 05, 2011
Also, where are your maps that shows Oyo extending into modern day Ghana.

No map that I have come across has made that assertion. I provided visual maps to show the extension of Oyo, Asante Confederacy and Dahomey.

The burden of proof is on you all who has made that assertion. Not using one article that has been copied over and over.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 6:38pm On Feb 05, 2011
When 2 empires didnt exist at the same time why should there be a conflict?

If you live at 35 Onitsha rd between Jan-July and I live at the same address between July and october, Does that mean we both didnt occupy the same space?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

When 2 empires didnt exist at the same time why should there be a conflict?

If you live at 35 Onitsha rd between Jan-July and I live at the same address between July and october, Does that mean we both didnt occupy the same space?

Maybe it is best we have a timeline to show the rise of Oyo and how they expanded into these regions. Historians, do this when there is a conflict.

Are you trying to tell me that Oyo was able to expand into Ghana in 50 years? It doesn't work like that in history. Kingdoms rise, but most have slow expansions.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Feb 05, 2011
They said at their peak which was 1650 to 1750

What tells us they didnt start the conquest before then and peaked in the 1650 thereabout?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by EzeUche2(m): 8:11pm On Feb 05, 2011
dayokanu:

They said at their peak which was 1650 to 1750

What tells us they didnt start the conquest before then and peaked in the 1650 thereabout?

Without an accurate timeline, we will be going back and forth.

I hope you all are not taking this as an insult, because I have the deepest respect for the Oyo Empire.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by excanny: 1:39am On Feb 11, 2011
Good job, Chyz. They usually have fun derailing Igbo threads. Nice to have a taste of your own medicine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Proud Awori People Identify Yourselves Here / Whats With The H - Factor ? / New Member From The Land Of The Ancient People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.