Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,347 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? (11571 Views)

Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:07am On Feb 05, 2011
It isn't an ordinary 's' in "Osun." It has that mark (diacritical?) under it.

Oshun makes sense, Osun with the mark under the 's' makes sense, Osun by itself (the way we write it online) does not. Least, this is my understanding (correct me if wrong.)
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by seanet02: 8:08am On Feb 05, 2011
@chz, so Buhari speaks Arabic? I few laugh o.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:09am On Feb 05, 2011
^^^^

eku_bear:

It isn't an ordinary 's' in "Osun." It has that mark (diacritical?) under it.

Oshun makes sense, Osun with the mark under the 's' makes sense, Osun by itself (the way we write it online) does not. Least, this is my understanding (correct me if wrong.)
You are absolutely right
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:10am On Feb 05, 2011
seanet02:

@chz, so Buhari speaks Arabic? I few laugh o.

You damn right, along with fula and english so according to seanit02 he is a cross-breed.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by seanet02: 8:13am On Feb 05, 2011
The pronunciation is the same all over YORUBA land except in IBADAN And OYO where it is pronounced "OSUN" without the H being reflected in the Pronunciation
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:13am On Feb 05, 2011
Chyz*:

You damn right, along with fula and english so according to seanit02 he is a cross-breed.

You just want to crash this thread, innit?

Hmm, this might just backfire on you, you know

Think twice ok!
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:14am On Feb 05, 2011
fstranger1:

You just want to crash this thread, innit?

Hmm, this might just backfire on you, you know

Think twice ok!

Go slit cha neck you eba eatin monkey.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:15am On Feb 05, 2011
When did Buhari get the time to learn Arabic? He might have memorized some stuff from the koran in Arabic, but I doubt this implies he actually speaks the language.

If he speaks it. . . then which dialect does he speak?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by seanet02: 8:17am On Feb 05, 2011
@chz, and you know you aint good in what you are doing, Dont crash this thread.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:17am On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

When did Buhari get the time to learn Arabic? He might have memorized some stuff from the koran in Arabic, but I doubt this implies he actually speaks the language.

If he speaks it. . . then which dialect does he speak?

Arabic is arabic.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:19am On Feb 05, 2011
On the real tho, what is your problem? Anti-yoruba/awolowo signature, misspelling the name of our ethnic group, etc. It isn't by force you have to post here, is it? We don't have to interact. . . if you don't like Yoruba, fine and well. But probably makes sense to then ignore Yoruba threads, right? If you dislike something/someone, probably not a good idea to be heavily involved with those who like that thing/someone.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by seanet02: 8:20am On Feb 05, 2011
@ekubear, me i too i wonder o, probably this ojukwu bingo is mistaking The knowledge of THE HOLY QURAN as an understanding of the Arabic Language. Comprehension Problem.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:20am On Feb 05, 2011
seanet02:

@chz, and you know you aint good in what you are doing, Dont crash this thread.

Look as this pseudo-muslim.You probably eat pork while reading the quran.come sit down small boy. grin
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:22am On Feb 05, 2011
There is a huge variation in Arabic dialects, from what I've been told (by Arab speakers). North African very different from Egyptian, different from Saudi.

Not necessarily even mutually intelligible.

Though Egyptian seems to be the most well understood from what I've been told. . . they have a lot of TV shows that are popular elsewhere.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by seanet02: 8:23am On Feb 05, 2011
@ekubear, Just dont mind the ojukwu bingo! Can you imagine the type of Education someone have where THEY TAUGHT PEOPLE THAT HAUSA IS THE SAME THING AS ARABIC!! Chz, your case is a Pathetic one.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:24am On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

There is a huge variation in Arabic dialects, from what I've been told (by Arab speakers). North African very different from Egyptian, different from Saudi.

Not necessarily even mutually intelligible.

[b]Though Egyptian seems to be the most well understood [/b]from what I've been told. . . they have a lot of TV shows that are popular elsewhere.

True.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:26am On Feb 05, 2011
From my understanding, Hausa uses Arabic characters (Akanji/Akami or something script.) The same way Yoruba (and English) use Latin characters.

But I don't think this suggests any fluency in Latin in and of itself. If Buhari speaks Arabic fluently, I'd be a bit impressed. Just because Nigeria is not a country where it would be easy to become fluent in that language, given the lack of Arabic speakers.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by KnowAll(m): 8:28am On Feb 05, 2011
Yoruba is a very simple and easy language to learn more like swahili. Even thus the Eguns/fons are the majority tribe in Benin, but because of the addictive nature of the Yoruba language over the years a healthy trading partnership between Dahomey and Lagos has been well established and developed thereby making Yoruba the language of choice both for business and all manner of trade including slave trading

Yoruba which is suppose to be a side language in Benin has suddenly become the single denominator when people are communicating in Benin,  this explains the reason why staunch fons like Boni Yayi can speak this language, this does not mean the conversants are Yorubas, far from it, but what has happened is just like Ugandans who are not in the slightest way related to Swahili speakers, speaks this language which is not only alien to their country as a language of trade and commerce.

Also,  Just like in Ghana, the Accra people are Gas but the Ashanti language of Kumas, an Akan language,  has more-less become the de-facto single language in Ghana.

Everyone from Ewes in the East to Huasa in the North and Gas in Accra region, all speak Akan or the Kumasi language as a language of first instance.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:29am On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

From my understanding, Hausa uses Arabic characters (Akanji/Akami or something script.) The same way Yoruba (and English) use Latin characters.

But I don't think this suggests any fluency in Latin in and of itself. If Buhari speaks Arabic fluently, I'd be a bit impressed. Just because Nigeria is not a country where it would be easy to become fluent in that language, given the lack of Arabic speakers.

There is quite an overwhelming amount of arabic speakers in the north also schools that teach it(quaranic schools).
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:32am On Feb 05, 2011
Chyz*:

There is quite an overwhelming amount of arabic speakers in the north also school that teach it(quaranic schools).

Hrm, ok. Never really been to the north, so maybe you are right about a large # of speakers there.

I was under the impression that the koranic schools would be a bit useless for teaching the language. Just memorization of verses. That really isn't enough to learn the language well.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:35am On Feb 05, 2011
KnowAll:

Yoruba is a very simple and easy language to learn more like swahili. Even thus the Eguns/fons are the majority tribe in Benin, but because of the addictive nature of the Yoruba language over the years a healthy trading partnership between Dahomey and Lagos has been well established and developed thereby making Yoruba the language of choice both for business and all manner of trade including slave trading

Yoruba which is suppose to be a side language in Benin has suddenly become the single denominator when people are communicating in Benin,  this explains the reason why staunch fons like Boni Yayi can speak this language, this does not mean the conversant are Yorubas, far from it, but what has happened is just like Ugandans who are not in the slightest way related to Swahili speakers, speaks this language which is not only alien to their country as a language of trade and commerce.

Also,  Just like in Ghana, the Accra people are Gas but the Ashanti language of Kumas, an Akan language,  has more-less become the de-facto single language in Ghana.

Everyone from Ewes in the East to Huasa in the North and Gas in Accra region, all speak Akan or the Kumasi language as a language of first instance.

That is very interesting

Yoruba seem like an easy language to pick up, not sure of that id good or bad

It is prolly the second most commonly spoken language in Nigeria too, besides English. Because you see Igbos and Hausa and Edos speaking the language with ease.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:37am On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

Hrm, ok. Never really been to the north, so maybe you are right about a large # of speakers there.

I was under the impression that the koranic schools would be a bit useless for teaching the language. Just memorization of verses. That really isn't enough to learn the language well.

Here's an example but it is not limited to these areas.Some northern children are actually raised with arabic the same way a lot of us from the south are raised with english, of course along with their native languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Arabic
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:37am On Feb 05, 2011
Chyz*:

There is quite an overwhelming amount of arabic speakers in the north also schools that teach it(quaranic schools).

STFU eediot

Reading the quran doesnt mean you can speak Arabic fluently

And yes, there are quranic schools up north. And no, there arent that much Arabic speakers up north.

You are quite a nuisance with your intent to misinform.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:38am On Feb 05, 2011
Chyz*:

Here's an example but it is not limited to these areas.Some northern children are actually raised with arabic the same way a lot of us from the south are raised with english, of course along with their native languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Arabic

So when did 10% become overwhelming number!

Have you ever lived up north?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:42am On Feb 05, 2011

Nigerian Arabic is a variety of Arabic spoken in the farthest northeastern part of Nigeria in Borno State especially in Maidaguri where it is spoken by 10% of the population.

10% of. . . Maidugiri? And seems limited to NE Nigeria. In other words, where the Shuwa Arabs live. . . so probably most of that 10% is them.

Doesn't seem to be spoken by ordinary northerners elsewhere. . . ?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Jenifa1: 8:43am On Feb 05, 2011
Angelique Kidjo's Agolo is mostly yoruba.
yeah you have to listen to the song really hard to understand it. I agree.

what helped me is that I already knew the chorus. it's the song to a yoruba folktale.

ori ori o olajumoke n'lo
head head olajumoke is leaving.

the head is the monster that borrows body parts and attires to visit the market and enticed a young girl to follow him. eventually he returned the body parts and jumoke tries to escape from him. but he had some creature/servant/bell that he sings anytime jumoke tries to run away. etc
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:43am On Feb 05, 2011
fstranger1:

So when did 10% become overwhelming number!

Have you ever lived up north?

First of all, you're a true illiterate if you don't know that 10% is a lot. Also, I remeber stating that the areas mention aren't the only areas where northern citizens speak Arabic and fluently.  wink.Anyways many learn Arabic for religious reasons.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:47am On Feb 05, 2011
Jenifa_:

Angelique Kidjo's Agolo is mostly yoruba.
yeah you have to listen to the song really hard to understand it. I agree.

what helped me is that I already knew the chorus. it's the song to a yoruba folktale.

ori ori o olajumoke n'lo
head head olajumoke is leaving.

the head is the monster that borrows body parts and attires to visit the market and enticed a young girl to follow him. eventually he returned the body parts and jumoke tries to escape from him. but he had some creature/servant/bell that he sings anytime jumoke tries to run away. etc

What dialect was she speaking if I may ask, Ms. I know everything Yoruba because I am dating a Yoruba boy in America?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by Jenifa1: 8:50am On Feb 05, 2011
I don't know what dialect she's speaking but it sounded yoruba to me. a very weird way to speak yoruba as a matter of fact. lol

listen to Iwoya by Kidjo with dave matthews. part english part yoruba (weird yoruba). but it's a good song.
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by fstranger1: 8:53am On Feb 05, 2011
Jenifa_:

I don't know what dialect she's speaking but it sounded yoruba to me. a very weird way to speak yoruba as a matter of fact. lol

listen to Iwoya by Kidjo with dave matthews. part english part yoruba (weird yoruba). but it's a good song.

Only non-Yorubas like you would call that Yoruba

I am a purist!
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by ekubear1: 8:53am On Feb 05, 2011
Does Benin Republic have 24/7 electricity and high-speed internet access?
Re: What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? by dayokanu(m): 9:03am On Feb 05, 2011
The Yoruba we speak and write is influenced by the people who translated it which is English.

Also French speaking Yoruba would have the influence of the French language on it.

E.g the city Called Sabe in Yoruba is called Save in Benin Republic

e.g a Name like Sanjo in English Yoruba would be written as Sandjor in French Yoruba.

I can give you several Yoruba sounding names who play for Benin and Togo.

Find out about Razaq Omotoyyossi, Adekanmi Olufade, Jimoh Oyawole, Mouritala Ogunbiyi(Muritala), Babatounde Bello, Rachid Chitou(Rashid Shittu)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Whats With The H - Factor ? / New Member From The Land Of The Ancient People. / Benin-ife Relationship Explored

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.