Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others (1632 Views)

WTO: Okonjo-Iweala Thanks Former US Officials / Buhari, ECOWAS Condemn Failed Coup Attempt In Ethiopia / Nigerian Traders Hail Buhari, ECOWAS For Reopening Shops In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by JosEast(m): 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2020
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on Thursday expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari and members of the House of Representatives for supporting her candidacy for the position of Director General of the World Trade Organisation( WTO).

”I want to also thank the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, and the Nigerian ambassadors to Switzerland, WTO as well as the Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva,” she said.

Okonjo-Iweala, who stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Geneva, also thanked the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) for endorsing her candidacy as the race for the WTO top job enters the selection phase.

The former Nigerian minister of finance is vying for the top job alongside candidates from Kenya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia. UK, Moldova, Mexico, and the Republic of Korea. All the candidates are in Geneva to make presentations to the WTO General Council and address the press from July 15 – 17.

The former Finance Minister, who on Wednesday urged the WTO to elect its Director General based on merit, told NAN that given her experience as a development economist, she was best suited for the job.

”People ask me often what best qualifies you for the job – I think the WTO needs leadership. It cannot continue to do what it did before. ”If it’s to stay as one of the premier institutions of the 21st century, it needs strong leadership which is a quality I have”

”It needs knowledge of trade which I have for being a development economist which my entire career is built around. It needs someone with political skills and international connections that can reach policy makers in all countries- and I have that owing my 35 years of experience “The job needs someone who listens – and I’m a good listener and lastly someone who is solution oriented and pragmatic.

”I have experience in all sectors ranging from the public to private sectors and international civil societies as well as from multilateral organisations” “If you put all these together , you will see I’m best qualified for the job,” She stressed. NAN reports that the second phase of the selection process, in which candidates would make themselves known to members will end on Sept. 7.

Similarly, the third phase which is the consultation process would commence same day.

At the forthcoming consultation, Chairman of the General Council alongside Chairs of the Dispute Settlement Body and the Trade Policy Review Body would consult with all the WTO members to determine which candidate is best placed to attract a consensus support.

Meanwhile, WTO’s outgoing Director General Mr Roberto Azevêdo would retire in August this year after serving two terms of seven years.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/wto-okonjo-iweala-thanks-buhari-ecowas-others.html

1 Like

Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Sunofgod(m): 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2020
ok
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by dwisedgreat: 5:52pm On Jul 16, 2020
Uwc ma
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by ThatFairGuy: 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2020
Okay.
Lemme just keep quiet!
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by jlinkd78(m): 6:35pm On Jul 16, 2020
Following
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Racoon(m): 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2020
If it remains God's will, you will get the WTO job.You dont fight for greatness.It's always in you.Go NOI.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by uniqueboi1(m): 6:39pm On Jul 16, 2020
Excellent woman.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Kissiemu(m): 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nna men!

Sebi Dele Momodu said she lost?

If this is not true I will never believe Dele again.

What is really going on?
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by TheMainone: 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2020
We stand with her regardless of the outcome
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Bighead9: 6:52pm On Jul 16, 2020
We Igbo's love Buhari and the North, our loyalty lies to them for all they've done for our region. We Igbo's see Buhari as our Messiah.

1 Like

Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Webmannigeria: 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
Kissiemu:
Nna men!

Sebi Dele Momodu said she lost?

If this is not true I will never believe Dele again.

What is really going on?

Guy just open the next tab on your phone or laptop and confirm things for yourself. Dele carried a very expansive FAKE NEWS today too. The process is still on till around September / oct
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Webmannigeria: 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
Well done MA
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by OUTLAWwizard: 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2020
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by fjjc(m): 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2020
This is not about fake news alone, but lack of respect for fellow human being. Bob D no do well at on this issue. If NOI wins, it means a lot to us as Nigerians.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by johnmartus(m): 8:15pm On Jul 16, 2020
You're not merit that position. Stupid woman.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by basybasy: 8:35pm On Jul 16, 2020
JosEast:
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on Thursday expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari and members of the House of Representatives for supporting her candidacy for the position of Director General of the World Trade Organisation( WTO).

”I want to also thank the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, and the Nigerian ambassadors to Switzerland, WTO as well as the Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva,” she said.

Okonjo-Iweala, who stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Geneva, also thanked the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) for endorsing her candidacy as the race for the WTO top job enters the selection phase.

The former Nigerian minister of finance is vying for the top job alongside candidates from Kenya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia. UK, Moldova, Mexico, and the Republic of Korea. All the candidates are in Geneva to make presentations to the WTO General Council and address the press from July 15 – 17.

The former Finance Minister, who on Wednesday urged the WTO to elect its Director General based on merit, told NAN that given her experience as a development economist, she was best suited for the job.

”People ask me often what best qualifies you for the job – I think the WTO needs leadership. It cannot continue to do what it did before. ”If it’s to stay as one of the premier institutions of the 21st century, it needs strong leadership which is a quality I have”

”It needs knowledge of trade which I have for being a development economist which my entire career is built around. It needs someone with political skills and international connections that can reach policy makers in all countries- and I have that owing my 35 years of experience “The job needs someone who listens – and I’m a good listener and lastly someone who is solution oriented and pragmatic.

”I have experience in all sectors ranging from the public to private sectors and international civil societies as well as from multilateral organisations” “If you put all these together , you will see I’m best qualified for the job,” She stressed. NAN reports that the second phase of the selection process, in which candidates would make themselves known to members will end on Sept. 7.

Similarly, the third phase which is the consultation process would commence same day.

At the forthcoming consultation, Chairman of the General Council alongside Chairs of the Dispute Settlement Body and the Trade Policy Review Body would consult with all the WTO members to determine which candidate is best placed to attract a consensus support.

Meanwhile, WTO’s outgoing Director General Mr Roberto Azevêdo would retire in August this year after serving two terms of seven years.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/wto-okonjo-iweala-thanks-buhari-ecowas-others.html
Mama Ngozi Iweala, Nigerians are behind u. We pray to God for u to be selected. We are proud of u, our daughter.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by lastempero: 11:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
johnmartus:
You're not merit that position. Stupid woman.

No wonder you cant make a complete and correct sentence.
Re: WTO: Okonjo-iweala Thanks Buhari, ECOWAS, Others by Lipscomb(m): 6:57am On Jul 17, 2020
See someone mocking another person your own sentence was also terrible. And besides point to error in that sentence Because I couldn't find one..
lastempero:

No wonder you cant make a complete and correct sentence.

(1) (Reply)

ENDSARS: Gov Wike Finally Address Protesters / Lagos Government Wails For Restructuring As Investors Flock To Ghana / NIRSAL Fraud Continues - Nigerian Youths God Save You All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.