Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,814 members, 7,844,637 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

14-year-old Girl Charged With Adultery And Flogged To Death In Bangladesh - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 14-year-old Girl Charged With Adultery And Flogged To Death In Bangladesh (1248 Views)

How Four Friends Raped Me –14-year-old Girl (photo) / Our Neighbour Revived Me With Water After Raping Me Six Times –14-year-old Rape / Female Banker, Others Charged With Defrauding Emir Of Kano’s Account (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

14-year-old Girl Charged With Adultery And Flogged To Death In Bangladesh by aloyemeka1: 12:16am On Feb 06, 2011
14-Year-Old Rape Victim Charged With Adultery And flogged To Death In Bangladesh

Published 05/02/2011 03:04:00 Daily Star

A 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl allegedly raped by a much older cousin has died after being publicly flogged for adultery, media reports said.

Hena Begum was sentenced to receive 100 lashes by a village council made up of elders and Muslim clerics in the district of Shariatpur, about 35 miles from the capital, Dhaka, the BBC said today.

She endured about 80 lashes before collapsing Monday, according to The Daily Star, a Bangladeshi newspaper. Her family took her to a hospital, where she died.

“What sort of justice is this? My daughter has been beaten to death in the name of justice. If it had been a proper court then my daughter would not have died,” Dorbesh Khan, the girl’s father, told the BBC.

Family members said Hena was raped by a 40-year-old married cousin, The Daily Star said. The man’s family beat up the teen, then accused her of adultery, the newspaper said.

The very next day, she was sentenced to the flogging in a fatwa, or religious ruling, issued by the village council under Islamic Shariah law, the BBC said.

Four people, including a Muslim cleric, have been arrested in connection with Hena’s death, the BBC said. Police said they were looking for another 14 people in the case.

Bangladesh’s high court has ordered district officials in Shariatpur to explain why they did not protect the girl, The Daily Star said. The court ruled eight months ago that Shariah punishment was illegal.

At least someone spoke up so that, hopefully, no other family has to endure this kind of injustice again.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/69856--Year-Old-Rape-Victim-Charged-With-Adultery-And-Beaten-Death-Bangladesh.html
Re: 14-year-old Girl Charged With Adultery And Flogged To Death In Bangladesh by donjon: 7:39am On Feb 07, 2011
When will pple learn?

(1) (Reply)

16-year-old Girl Weeps As Court Strikes Out Rape Case Against Army Colonel / 48 Years Old Man Killed For Commenting On A Girl's Facebook Picture. / Urgent: People Beware Of Resort Savings & Loan Bank Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.