Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,853 members, 7,862,793 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:48 AM

Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 (81493 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Gen. Ironsi & IBB At An Occasion In 1966 / Throwback Photos Of Aguiyi Ironsi Visiting Ibadan Before His Arrest And Murder / FFK: Buhari Among Officers That Plotted Killing Of Aguiyi Ironsi 58 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 1:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
Dedetwo:

Bro, I guess you did not forget who gave Nigeria the constitution. The 1960 Nigerian constitution was the one the colonialists used before the independence. In 1963, it was merely edited. HRM, Queen of UK was changed to President of Nigeria.

I disagree with you. The Independence Constitution was a we-the-people constitution produced entirely from inputs by the freely elected representatives from all federal constituencies to the 1957 London Constitutional conference. The British had no input in it at all. Here is a video of it. Note the British guys in the background who were only watching the proceedings in observer capacity. Happy watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m_Q60YfVJ8

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by ibietela2(m): 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2020
Number1benue:

Waybill baba.......I really need to read that book baba. I don day find that book to read now for a little over two years now.

Order on Konga
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 1:50pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

@nku5 has busted your lies. Dude you cannot win this one. There are igbos that really know their history for long you guys have spread lies so much just to vilify the igbos

Do you even know what it means to burst a lie? The same nku5 that has not been able to answer my question as to why Ojukwu failed to punish those Biafran soldiers that detached to Auchi Okene Agenebode Warri and Okene if Ojukwu didn't give them such instructions?

5 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Bros don't try to avoid me. come and tell us what was Zik's post in Biafra? you think you can come and incite tribal hatred on this forum?

Are you really this much of an expert in devil's advocacy? Haven't we agreed that Zik was an envoy but only trying to know from you whether he appointed himself or Ojukwu appointed him? Am I to assume you are having comprehension challenges?

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Do you know you talk like a child the person you are hailing is simply feeling uncomfortable because most of us that know history are challenging him. First he claimed zik scattered NYM and i asked him how is it possible when he joined NYM in 1938 much later and then he next talked about non secession clause and i called him out on his lies and he had no answer. now i have asked him to state what was Zik's post in Biafra because he stated that Zik was involved in Biafra. He is trying to cleverly dodge the question.
why do you lots gain by vilifying igbos when that coup even had Yorubas there as planners Ademoyega and Fola Oyewole

Igbos are blamed about the coup not because of the ethnic composition of the planners but the heavily lopsided ethnic pattern of the execution and killings which spared all Igbo politicians but consumed their colleagues from other regions and tribes despite they all participated in the allegedly fantastically corruption ridden government of the day.
Why was no single Igbo politician killed despite there were up to three of them in the coupists hit list?

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by T9ksy(m): 2:14pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

Igbos are blamed about the coup not because of the ethnic composition of the planners but the heavily lopsided ethnic pattern of the execution and killings which spared all Igbo politicians but consumed their colleagues from other regions and tribes despite they all participated in the allegedly fantastically corruption ridden government of the day.
Why was no single Igbo politician killed despite there were up to three of them in the coupists hit list?

(Innocent) coincidences, they would have us believe grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Number1benue: 3:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
ibietela2:

Order on Konga

No wahala boss. Just checked e day there thanks
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

Do you even know what it means to burst a lie? The same nku5 that has not been able to answer my question as to why Ojukwu failed to punish those Biafran soldiers that detached to Auchi Okene Agenebode Warri and Okene if Ojukwu didn't give them such instructions?

Please tell me who was the commander of the Biafran troops that went to Ore? And who do you think would be blamed for the failure of the Western advance of the biafran troops?

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 28, 2020
T9ksy:

In which sector of the coup was there a failure of the coup? In the Lagos sector and this was logistic failures

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by T9ksy(m): 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

In which sector of the coup was there a failure of the coup? In the Lagos sector and this was logistic failures

logistic failures?
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=Deadlytruth post=97496714]

Why was no single Igbo politician killed despite there were up to three of them in the coupists hit list?[/quote]

Logistic problem in the East according to Obynzo ! The moment of truth is here finally; all lies and propagandas are being exposed !

The very people that subject us all into the current pitiable mess we find ourselves,because of the selfish political misadventures of their forebears,are the same people playing the victim's card !

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for any person of Igbo extraction to become President of this nation with all these facts out now ! What a selfish,greedy people ! Why do we even blame the Hausa/Fulani people when in actual fact,it was the likes of Azikiwe,Ironsi,Ifeajuna,Nzeogwu etc that laid the faulty foundation for Nigeria's defective structure of today ?

Obynzo,please come and expose your people more with your lame and weak defences.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 28, 2020
T9ksy:

In which sector of the coup was there a failure of the coup? In the Lagos sector and this was logistic failures that gave it an ethnic colouration and I don't blame anyone honestly if they have that notion, but my own anger is that these guys clearly acted on their own their mistakes their actions and inactions were clearly their own doing so why would a whole tribe be blamed for their actions? But most of us conveniently didn't blame the middle belt when Dimka plotted his coup, you see the hypocrisy here.
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=OROSUNBOLB post=97499466][/quote]

Oga stop exposing your stupidity online real-time. First of all Gowon repealed Ironsi's decree and it was Gowon who split Nigeria into states it was Gowon who created the quasi federal structure which was further enhanced from Muritala downwards, so please quit being stupid and be reasonable with your comments
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

I disagree with you. The Independence Constitution was a we-the-people constitution produced entirely from inputs by the freely elected representatives from all federal constituencies to the 1957 London Constitutional conference. The British had no input in it at all. Here is a video of it. Note the British guys in the background who were only watching the proceedings in observer capacity. Happy watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m_Q60YfVJ8

Oga If you must know the terms of reference for the talks at Lancaster House for independence was clearly spell out by the British, and it was that the borders of colonial Nigeria would never be redrawn or changed.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by T9ksy(m): 5:44pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

In which sector of the coup was there a failure of the coup?[b] In the Lagos sector and this was logistic failures that gave it an ethnic colouration [/b]and I don't blame anyone honestly if they have that notion, but my own anger is that these guys clearly acted on their own their mistakes their actions and inactions were clearly their own doing so why would a whole tribe be blamed for their actions? But most of us conveniently didn't blame the middle belt when Dimka plotted his coup, you see the hypocrisy here.

Can you please expatiate on the bolded above, please? What logistic problem brought about the failure of the coup in lagos.?

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by johntolu: 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Will you mind telling us what is responsible for the failure of the coup, in Eastern Region, as well?

The coup was a huge success in the Lagos sector. The only drawback the coup had in Lagos sector was the inability of Igbo soldiers to take down their 'blothers' for reasons best known to them. They did not hesitate to bring down
Col. Unegbe because they saw him as a saboteur
because of his closeness to Gen. Maimalari.
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 6:12pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Oga If you must know the terms of reference for the talks at Lancaster House for independence was clearly spell out by the British, and it was that the borders of colonial Nigeria would never be redrawn or changed.

Would you mind providing a source for this claim?
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 6:19pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Oga those detachments were used to flank the enemy and aid the movement of the forward troops to Lagos. Stop trying to be smart.

So the enemy was approaching through the Midwest alone? May I ask you which enemy was approaching from the Warri axis to which a detachment was also drafted. Were there enemies coming from out of the sea which is the only territory beyond Warri?

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 6:37pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

In which sector of the coup was there a failure of the coup? In the Lagos sector and this was logistic failures that gave it an ethnic colouration and I don't blame anyone honestly if they have that notion, but my own anger is that these guys clearly acted on their own their mistakes their actions and inactions were clearly their own doing so why would a whole tribe be blamed for their actions? But most of us conveniently didn't blame the middle belt when Dimka plotted his coup, you see the hypocrisy here.

Don't you think you Igbos are equally guilty of the bolded by putting the blame of Akenzua's alleged role in the failure of Aburi Accord on all Edo people despite knowing fully well that Akenzua as of then was working in permanent secretary capacity for the establishment hence wasn't representing Edo people or their interest in any democratic sense?

On your excuse of logistic failure as being responsible for the selective execution of the coup; I have this question to ask:

Azikiwe was one of those penciled down by the coupists for death. In fact according to some accounts he was the prime target. Now Azikiwe left the country three clear months to the D-day of the coup and his exit from Nigeria was well published in the papers to the knowledge of the public and the coupists. But knowing fully well that their prime target had escaped and wasn't likely to return anytime soon, the coupists still went ahead to carry out the coup. Why?

It is like claiming that you want to set a particular bush on fire because of a rat living in it, but the rat somehow got wind of your plans and relocated from the bush and you got informed about it but you still set the bush on fire all the same. Then it means your actual reason for wanting to burn the bush was not the rat but for a totally different selfish reason while just using the rat as a cover up.

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Deadlytruth(m): 6:46pm On Dec 28, 2020
On Ifeajuna's way to the east that January 15 morning, he passed through Benin and could have just stopped over at Osadebey House and killed Dennis Osadebey but he didn't because that one somewhat had Igbo blood.
On arriving Enugu, Ifeajuna met Okpara one on one but rather than shoot him dead, he went into the premier lodge with him and they had a tete a tete after which Okpara helped him escape from Nigeria to Ghana for asylum. I guess all these were due to logistical failures as well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:00pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Oga stop exposing your stupidity online real-time. First of all Gowon repealed Ironsi's decree and it was Gowon who split Nigeria into states it was Gowon who created the quasi federal structure which was further enhanced from Muritala downwards, so please quit being stupid and be reasonable with your comments

Shut your putrid mouth there ! You this shameless descendant of a wicked,greedy,highly manipulative and selfish people ! Gowon this,Gowon that,blah,blah,blah ! Your lies and propagandas are being exposed here one after another. You Igbos are the major cause of mutual suspicion and lack of trust that exist among various ethnic groups in Nigeria today.

Why did Azikiwe have to struggle for the seat of premiership of the western region with Awolowo when nobody was contesting that of eastern region with him ? Was he from the west or did that not clearly establish the "unity begging" agenda with the devilish aim of dominating others that we are talking about here ?

It was so convenient for Azikiwe to be on a medical vacation" when his colleagues from other ethnic groups were being fed with hot led by the rampaging blood sucking Igbo coupists.

Your "logistics problems in Lagos" being the reason is just what it is - senseless excuse and that's laughable ! Now we ask you again,why did the Igbo coupists spare the lives of Igbo politicians ? Please don't give us that logistic bull crap again; it's funny you know.

A

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:08pm On Dec 28, 2020
obynzo:

Shut your putrid mouth there ! You this shameless descendant of a wicked,greedy,highly manipulative and selfish people ! Gowon this,Gowon that,blah,blah,blah ! Your lies and propagandas are being exposed here one after another. You Igbos are the major cause of mutual suspicion and lack of trust that exist among various ethnic groups in Nigeria today.

Why did Azikiwe have to struggle for the seat of premiership of the western region with Awolowo when nobody was contesting that of eastern region with him ? Was he from the west or did that not clearly establish the "unity begging" agenda with the devilish aim of dominating others that we are talking about here ?

It was so convenient for Azikiwe to be on a medical vacation" when his colleagues from other ethnic groups were being fed with hot led by the rampaging blood sucking Igbo coupists.

Your "logistics problems in Lagos" being the reason is just what it is - senseless excuse and that's laughable ! Now we ask you again,why did the Igbo coupists spare the lives of Igbo politicians ? Please don't give us that logistic bull crap again; it's funny you know.

You're the one being stupid here,labouring spiritedly to sell what we are not going to buy !

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

There is what is called foresight and being realistic. A proverb also says that the morning shows the day meaning that you can actually predict the future to a high level of accuracy based on the events of the present. The events back then clearly pointed to a very dark and bleak future and Azikiwe himself and Igbos knew it but their ulterior motive took the better of them. With Northerners already killing Southerners in Kano and Jos over the most trivial issues, what more evidence did any sensible and honest person need to infer that Nigeria had no future and one-Nigerianism was a misleading doctrine?
Aren't we Southerners including your very self currently asking for dissolution of the union because we can see and infer from the present insecurity and lopsidedness in appointments by the FG that the future is scary? So quit this line of defense for Azikiwe's folly and Igbos' tacit support for his misadventures back then.
Again, you don't know what you're saying. You don't understand how things worked then, there is no documentation. Zik did what he thought would be best for the future, with North, East and West together the country would be an economic powerhouse, rivalling the best countries in the world in almost anything. He sacrificed the prime minister position he would have had for that, it's sad it didn't turn out the way imagined, but it might have. With a little more visionary leader at those early days the country would have been a force to reckon with. I regret that it didn't work, now I would want nothing more than for Igbos to stay on their own, I'm genuinely tired of us being everyone's problem.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by T9ksy(m): 8:05pm On Dec 28, 2020
melodyogonna:

Again, you don't know what you're saying. You don't understand how things worked then, there is no documentation. Zik did what he thought would be best for the future, with North, East and West together the country would be an economic powerhouse, rivalling the best countries in the world in almost anything. He sacrificed the prime minister position he would have had for that, it's sad it didn't turn out the way imagined, but it might have. With a little more visionary leader at those early days the country would have been a force to reckon with. I regret that it didn't work, now I would want nothing more than for Igbos to stay on their own, I'm genuinely tired of us being everyone's problem.

In that case, am sure you will agree with the rest of us who opined and still continue to do so, that Zik ( in spite of his educational

attainments and command of the colonialist’s language which he utilised to great measures to bamboozle his gullible followers), had no business

running a kindergarten playground scheme, never mind deciding the future of millions of people, if he couldn’t discern the obvious writings on the

wall of Nigeria’s pseudo-unity that he would vehemently opposed the inclusion of a secession clause in the constitution of the new nation. This is

despite the killings of his people in 1945 and again in 1953. Unless, of course, he had other ulterior motives for his staunch support for One indivisible

Nigeria..

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 8:39pm On Dec 28, 2020
T9ksy:

In that case, am sure you will agree with the rest of us who opined and still continue to do so, that Zik ( in spite of his educational

attainments and command of the colonialist’s language which he utilised to great measures to bamboozle his gullible followers), had no business

running a kindergarten playground scheme, never mind deciding the future of millions of people, if he couldn’t discern the obvious writings on the

wall of Nigeria’s pseudo-unity that he would vehemently opposed the inclusion of a secession clause in the constitution of the new nation. This is

despite the killings of his people in 1945 and again in 1953. Unless, of course, he had other ulterior motives for his staunch support for One indivisible

Nigeria..
Tbh I don't understand most of what you wrote but I agree Zik messed up, I can't really remember how much I've blamed him. But I also try to at why people make the decisions they make instead of only the outcome. You can't categorically say the outcome would have been better if everyone went their separate ways, might have been in a decades long war.
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Christistruth00: 8:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

You speak as if it was only Benin that Biafran soldiers diverted to. Didn't some detachments also divert to Warri, Auchi, Okene, Agenebode, etc? And Ojukwu who, according to you, only instructed them to go to Lagos and overthrow Gowon could not met any single disciplinary action on the commanders of those troops that so detached to all these towns from the Lagos bound battalion? You people just love clinging to straws during these debates.

What was the Biafran Army looking for in Okitipupa of all places?

It was obvious the Biafran Army planned an Occupation the West like they did in the Mid West

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by Never4getU: 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nigeria isn't a nation, a forced entity against individual interest can't form a front which why it's impossible for nigeria to assume nation status.

blackboy:
Is nigeria a nation or a state? Political science students over to you. Is Isreal a nation or country.
Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by T9ksy(m): 9:13pm On Dec 28, 2020
melodyogonna:

Tbh I don't understand most of what you wrote but I agree Zik messed up, I can't really remember how much I've blamed him. But I also try to at why people make the decisions they make instead of only the outcome. You can't categorically say the outcome would have been better if everyone went their separate ways, might have been in a decades long war.

At least, you admit that Zik phocked up, big time. With the goings on prior to independence, zik ought to have had the vision that nigeria was not a viable contraption. Had he posses that vision, he wouldn;t have opposed the inclusion of the secession Clause into the constitution of the new country. There would have been no need for any long war IF only zik had not fought against the secession clause, believing instead in the fake unity of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by johntolu: 10:26pm On Dec 28, 2020
Dedetwo:

If the above silly assertion holds any water, a person wonders why successive coups in Nigeria were not termed "Open declaration of war against other Nigerians". Coups in Nigeria were precipitated by elements of Nigerian army not tribes. Only a hypocritical goon will believe otherwise. Since after January 15, 1966, Nigeria had, at least, witnessed more than two coups yet no loudmouthed ninny had described them as "Open declaration of war against other Nigerians". Nigeria is simply a joke.

'Nigeria simply being a joke', has its foundation in the sheer wickedness displayed by your fathers, in the coup of January, 1966 ostensibly, as a result of the Igbo tribe's well known 'I before others', mentality.
The 'return match' that was played in response to your fathers' savagery against other tribes in Nigeria, was carried out mainly by soldiers from Northern Nigeria and it was truly an overkill against the Igbo race but the whole world turned a 'blind eye' to it because the conclusion then, was that you guys drew the first blood.

Now a response to your moronic comparison of the other coups we have had in Nigeria to the sheer savagery of your fathers coup of January, 1966;
The next coup after your fathers dastardly act was 'operation Aure', which was a response to your fathers dastardly act of January, 1966.
The coup was also one-sided and targeted only Igbo military officers. All the main actors of the Dimka coup were arrested and executed, ditto for Orkar and Vasta coups. None of the other coups had any signs of deliberate attempt to wipe out top political and military leaders of other ethnic groups and all known perpetrators of such coups, were punished accordingly.
In your fathers case they celebrated their 'blothers' who carried out the January, 1966 coup as heroes and hung garlands on their necks for their act of bravery in grabbing political powers from their political enemies.
I believe you guys and your fathers, have paid more than enough restitution, for your treachery of January, 1966 and it is highly inconsequential whether you guys admit your culpability or otherwise in your wicked display of greed and wickedness in January, 1966.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by johntolu: 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2020
Deadlytruth:

Don't you think you Igbos are equally guilty of the bolded by putting the blame of Akenzua's alleged role in the failure of Aburi Accord on all Edo people despite knowing fully well that Akenzua as of then was working in permanent secretary capacity for the establishment hence wasn't representing Edo people or their interest in any democratic sense?

On your excuse of logistic failure as being responsible for the selective execution of the coup; I have this question to ask:

Azikiwe was one of those penciled down by the coupists for death. In fact according to some accounts he was the prime target. Now Azikiwe left the country three clear months to the D-day of the coup and his exit from Nigeria was well published in the papers to the knowledge of the public and the coupists. But knowing fully well that their prime target had escaped and wasn't likely to return anytime soon, the coupists still went ahead to carry out the coup. Why?

It is like claiming that you want to set a particular bush on fire because of a rat living in it, but the rat somehow got wind of your plans and relocated from the bush and you got informed about it but you still set the bush on fire all the same. Then it means your actual reason for wanting to burn the bush was not the rat but for a totally different selfish reason while just using the rat as a cover up.

This your 'uncommon wisdom', will not kill you, Bros. cheesy grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by johntolu: 10:48pm On Dec 28, 2020
T9ksy:

At least, you admit that Zik phocked up, big time. With the goings on prior to independence, zik ought to have had the vision that nigeria was not a viable contraption. Had he posses that vision, he wouldn;t have opposed the inclusion of the secession Clause into the constitution of the new country. There would have been no need for any long war IF only zik had not fought against the secession clause, believing instead in the fake unity of Nigeria.

Azikwe acted in the best interest of the Igbo Nation. He perfectly understood the risks and challenges inherent in his plans.
He was born in the North and grew up and worked in the West. He did everything he did for the economic emancipation and development of his people because of the opportunities they are likely to benefit from having a large field to operate in comparison to the high density enclave of Igbo land with limited opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 by johntolu: 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2020
Dedetwo:

Please do not make yourself a case study of this discuss. You have agreed the government was coalition type and must have the partners to remain in government. Why would you even insinuate about NPC being the major party in coalition when it could not form a government as so-called major party? If the NPC dreamt any attempt to show itself as a major party in the coalition, it would have become opposition party in a hurry. Action Group was already in alliance with NCNC and would have formed a coalition government without NPC. Being the party that won majority of the seats but not enough or even half of the seats to form a government does not confer anything to the party. NPC and NCNC could not agree on the prime minister candidate. In fact, NCNC already had a prime minister in wait who was the ranking minister and usually deputizes for the prime minister. However due to the foolhardy of the NPC ministers to follow simple protocol, they insisted to produce the prime minister in the coalition. In coalition government, the party which won most of the seats gets the prime minister while coalition partners gets the slot for the ranking minister who in practical terms, a deputy prime minister.

Will you rather call a party that has more than 50% of the seat in parliament, a minority party?
NPC was also in coalition with NNDP which has 36 seats which is 198 seats or 63% of the total seats in parliament.
For any Igbo MP to be contesting the Prime Minister's seat with NPC's MP after what you guys did to their leaders was pure 'wickedry', not to talk of the act of bequeathing power eventually to your race, through the back door, through Ironsi's ascension to power.

I came across this piece from Dr. Nowa Omogui's account of events leading to the counter coup of June, 1966. It was actually culled from a book, by Bernard Odogwu, a Nigerian diplomat at the UN before the senseless Igbo coup of January, 1966..
The target audience is actually Igbos who could reason when confronted with incontrovertible facts.
Read on;

REFLECTIONS OF AN IGBO DIPLOMAT

In his book, “No Place to Hide - Crises and Conflicts inside Biafra”, Bernard Odogwu, then a Nigerian diplomat, but destined to become Chief of Biafran Intelligence,reveals that shortly after the coup of January 15, 1966 he and a fellow diplomat called Adamu Mohammed at the Nigerian mission to the United Nations in New York had a frank discussion about it.Odogwu wrote that “we were both in agreement that the so called ‘revolutionaries’ had performed very badly, in view of the one sidedness of the operation and the selectiveness of the killings.”Following this discussion Odogwu made an entry on January 23, 1966 into his personal notebook:

“With all the returns in, we now seem to have a complete picture of the coup, the plotters, and the casualties.Reading through the newspapers, one gets the impression that this national catastrophe which is termed a “revolution” is being blown greatly out of proportion.It does appear to me though, that we have all gone wild with jubilation in welcoming the so-called ‘dawn of a new era’ without pausing to consider the possible chain reactions that may soon follow……….I shudder at the possible aftermath of thisthis folly committed by our boys in khaki.; and what has kept coming to my mind since the afternoon is the passage in Shakespeare’s MACBETH - ‘And they say blood will have blood’.

First I ask myself this question; ‘What will be the position as soon as the present mass euphoria in welcoming the ‘revolution’ in the country fades away?’ There is already some rumour here within diplomatic circles that January 15 was a grand Igbo design to liquidate all opposition in order to make way for Igbo domination of the whole country.What then is the Igbo man’s defence to this allegation in light of the sectional and selective method adopted by the coup plotters?

Although, sitting here alone as I write this, I am tempted to say that there was no such Igbo grand design, yet the inescapable fact is that the Igbos are already as a group being condemned by the rest for the activities of a handful of ambitious Igbo army officers; for here I am, with the rest of my Igbo colleagues, some thousands of miles away from home, yet being put on the defensive for such actions that we were neither consulted about, nor approved of.Our Northern colleagues and friends now look on us Igbos here as strangers and potential enemies. They are now more isolated than ever before. Their pride is hurt; and who would blame them?

Secondly, I ask myself the questions posed to me this afternoon by my colleague; What would I do if I were placed in the position of the Northerner?What do I do?How do I react to the situation?Do I just deplore and condemn those atrocities or do I plan a revenge?I do not blame the Northern chaps for feeling so sore since the events of the last few days. They definitely have my sympathy, for it must have been shocking to say the least, for one to wake up one fine morning to find nearly all one’s revered leaders gone overnight.But they were not only Northern leaders as such, and I am as much aggrieved at their loss as any other Nigerian, Northern or otherwise.I am particularly shocked at the news that Major Ifeajuna personally shot and killed his mentor, Brigadier Maimalari.My God!That must have been Caesar and Brutus come alive, with the Brigadier definitely saying ‘Et tu Emma’ before collapsing………”

“…….As for the new man at the helm of affairs, Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi, he too like the majority of the Majors is an Igbo, and that has not helped matters either. …..”

“…….Granted that he is such a good soldier as he is reputed to be, the question is: ‘Are all good soldiers necessarily good statesmen? Again how well prepared is he for the task he has just inherited?’ I do hope that he is also as wise as he is reputed to be bold, because if you ask me, I think the General is sitting on a time bomb, with the fuse almost burnt out.We shall wait and see what happens next, but from my observations, I know the present state of affairs will not last long. A northern counter-action is definitely around the corner, and God save us all when it explodes.”

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run / Real Reason Governor Obaseki Was Disqualified - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Marks Inauguration With N61 Million 2019 Mercedes Benz (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.