Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

New City In Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New City In Anambra (2982 Views)

Obiano Launches “ Operation Wipe-Out Mosquitoes ” In Anambra - Photos / What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Aba: A City In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New City In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2011
Anam city is being developed in the Anambra West LGA near Otuocha. I ignored this project at first as another day dream, but now I think the city is going to appear soon as the newest in Nigeria. Anam is designed as a modern progressive city that at the same time is respectful to culture and tradition and is reasonable towards the inhabitants lifestyles.

http://www.anamcity.com/
http://anamcity./

[center][img]http://anamcity.files./2011/01/satellite-cluster.jpg[/img][/center]

[center]

Energy

Transportation

Water

Neighbourhoods, All indigenous names!

Actual building

[flash=480,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmG_Dg09PAc[/flash][/center]
Re: New City In Anambra by Afam4eva(m): 5:10pm On Feb 06, 2011
Developing new cities when there are cities in Anambra to be repaired. Why not use that money to revitalize Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka.
Re: New City In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 5:13pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Developing new cities when there are cities in Anambra to be repaired. Why not use that money to revitalize Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka.

It's being built by a foundation called Chife Foundantion who are not connected to, or who were not called by the government.
Re: New City In Anambra by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On Feb 06, 2011
ezeagu:

It's being built by a foundation called Chife Foundantion who are not connected to, or who were not called by the government.
I thought it was government. But how will does this Chife foundation get funding.
Re: New City In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 5:20pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

I thought it was government. But how will does this Chife foundation get funding.

The foundation is non-profit, but the city is used to create jobs for the people of the region and to act like a technology village.

[center][flash=480,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbmiG4pEjE[/flash][/center]
Re: New City In Anambra by udezue(m): 6:01pm On Feb 06, 2011
Not a bad idea.
Re: New City In Anambra by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 06, 2011
@poster. The Idea is not bad but whats in the city for investors? Whats the security guarantee. As my people use to say: Imuta Ngba Anam, Imutago Igwu mmiri ha? If learn learn how to defeat Anam people in wrestling hav u learn how to swim their rivers?
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 10:27pm On Feb 06, 2011
Posted by: greateros

@poster. The Idea is not bad but whats in the city for investors? Whats the security guarantee. As my people use to say: Imuta Ngba Anam, Imutago Igwu mmiri ha? If learn learn how to defeat Anam people in wrestling hav u learn how to swim their rivers

grin grin grin grin

Good one.
Re: New City In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 10:32pm On Feb 06, 2011
greateros:

@poster. The Idea is not bad but whats in the city for investors? Whats the security guarantee. As my people use to say: Imuta Ngba Anam, Imutago Igwu mmiri ha? If learn learn how to defeat Anam people in wrestling hav u learn how to swim their rivers?

The city is intended to help the Anam people with the flooding of their lands and also to provide them with jobs and schools and for their land to be upgraded with technology. They're using the city as a model of what others should follow. If the city is built as well as they intend then investors will come, and they will come employing Anam people.
Re: New City In Anambra by dempeople(m): 1:54am On Feb 07, 2011
Trust Anambra. Dem no dee carry last. With this plan for Anam together with the structural plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi, Anambra is witnessing an unprecedented infrastructural boom. We only lack in funds but even this could be sorted out through a PPP arrangement.
Re: New City In Anambra by EzeUche2(m): 2:03am On Feb 07, 2011
Maybe Anambra people will finally stay in their own state instead of coming to Abia, Imo, Ebonyi etc. grin

I am just joking.
Re: New City In Anambra by dempeople(m): 2:21am On Feb 07, 2011
^^^^^

Thank God you were, otherwise akamaasizi na-ijefugo uzo?  grin

Igbo kwenu!
Re: New City In Anambra by houvest: 3:24am On Feb 07, 2011
Good one.
Re: New City In Anambra by ekubear1: 3:46am On Feb 07, 2011
How will the city be powered? If they take care of this issue (with a power plant burning on say coal or NG), then it should very successful.
Re: New City In Anambra by jason123: 3:57am On Feb 07, 2011
nice project!!! smiley
Re: New City In Anambra by ofala(m): 4:27am On Feb 07, 2011
I pray that this doesn't end at mere the drawing boards. Nice for now. We will watch the development.
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:14am On Feb 07, 2011
Posted by: eku_bear

How will the city be powered? If they take care of this issue (with a power plant burning on say coal or[b] NG[/b]), then it should very successful.

I would prefer natural gas of course because of its low carbon footprint. This is 21 century, and all planning must necessarily come with good environmental planning. Coal is only good if you bring the latest technology from the US.
There is abundance of natural gas in Anambra state, so they should target that.
Re: New City In Anambra by EzeUche2(m): 5:18am On Feb 07, 2011
Have they broke ground for this new city? And where are they getting the funding for this project if it isn't from the government? It looks too good to be true.
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:21am On Feb 07, 2011
Posted by: EzeUche_

Have they broke ground for this new city? And where are they getting the funding for this project if it isn't from the government?

Good questions!
I'm hoping that someone would furnish the answers.
I also want to know their plans to link it with Asaba airport just across the river Niger.

That will help determine whether it will grow quickly.
Re: New City In Anambra by EzeUche2(m): 5:26am On Feb 07, 2011
Onlytruth:

Good questions!
I'm hoping that someone would furnish the answers.
I also want to know their plans to link it with Asaba airport just across the river Niger.

That will help determine whether it will grow quickly.

I want to believe this, but developing a city such as this would cost millions or even billions of dollars. Where is the funding coming from we must ask ourselves? Private donors?

I checked the website out and I still have questions.

This is the foundations website: http://chifefoundation.org/?page_id=5
Re: New City In Anambra by ekubear1: 5:33am On Feb 07, 2011
Coal is a helluva lot cheaper than almost anything else. I don't think you should rule out using it w/o a feasibility study first.

Even if Nigeria generated enough electricity to meet its demands, at full capacity probably 30% from coal (or something in that ballpark) is enough to keep the environment safe.

And of course, we are very far from capacity.

So probably not a big deal in the short term.
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:36am On Feb 07, 2011

I want to believe this, but developing a city such as this would cost millions or even billions of dollars. Where is the funding coming from we must ask ourselves? Private donors?

I checked the website out and I still have questions.

I would like to believe that the planning and construction of roads would be a government endeavor, but the actual development would be private driven.
If the government can build the first sets of arterial roads, people will snap up the properties and start developing it.
Nigerian's don't miss this type of opportunity.

The plan is the key.
Re: New City In Anambra by EzeUche2(m): 5:40am On Feb 07, 2011
Onlytruth:

I would like to believe that the planning and construction of roads would be a government endeavor, but the actual development would be private driven.
If the government can build the first sets of arterial roads, people will snap up the properties and start developing it.
Nigerian's don't miss this type of opportunity.

The plan is the key.

If this succeeds, maybe they can show the rest of the East, Nigeria, and Africa in general how to create an economically sustainable city for the 21st century. This is welcomed news and I hope the best for this organization. It makes me want to help them with their endeavor.
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:41am On Feb 07, 2011

Coal is a helluva lot cheaper than almost anything else. I don't think you should rule out using it w/o a feasibility study first.

Even if Nigeria generated enough electricity to meet its demands, at full capacity probably 30% from coal (or something in that ballpark) is enough to keep the environment safe.

And of course, we are very far from capacity.

So probably not a big deal in the short term.

You are right and wrong on the bolded.
Yes, on face value and initial capital outlay it MAY be cheaper (but don't forget the cost of transporting coal from Enugu to the city which can quickly ratchet up cost).
The most prohibitive cost would be health costs -increased cases of respiratory diseases :asthma, emphysema/brocho-related diseases which will run into billions.
I would avoid that and use the local gas supply. It is local and cleaner.
Re: New City In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:44am On Feb 07, 2011

If this succeeds, maybe they can show the rest of the East, Nigeria, and Africa in general how to create an economically sustainable city for the 21st century. This is welcomed news and I hope the best for this organization. It makes me want to help them with their endeavor.

I will help them because this is part of why one acquired higher education and special skills.

Your contribution will be to snap up as much property as you can as early as possible. cool
Re: New City In Anambra by ekubear1: 6:04am On Feb 07, 2011
Onlytruth:

You are right and wrong on the bolded.
Yes, on face value and initial capital outlay it MAY be cheaper (but don't forget the cost of transporting coal from Enugu to the city which can quickly ratchet up cost.
The most prohibitive cost would be health costs -increased cases of respiratory diseases :asthma, emphysema/brocho-related diseases which will run into billions.
I would avoid that and use the local gas supply. It is local and cleaner.

Is there an existing gas pipeline that swings somewhere nearby? If so, they can take advantage of that. Though now that I look at things more closely, looks like they want to do hydro (good, since you have a river nearby) and solar (not a fan of this.)

Regarding coal, yes the cost outlay is cheaper (transport time from Enugu area to this city shouldn't be a big deal, looks like well under 70 miles, from Google maps).

You are right in that there are negative externalities which are passed on to the community at large with things that cause pollution. But I doubt that the externalities are really that high.

Of course, it depends on how much coal they are burning. I've not read any studies estimating this cost per ton of coal burned; one would need to do that as part of the feasibility study.

However. . . realistically, one generally needs to crack some eggs to make an omelette. You manage the negatives, monitor the air, etc, etc, but at the end of the day if you have vast coal deposits in the vicinity, you use it.
Re: New City In Anambra by nikd4: 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2011
This site is envisioned as a "sustainable" model-city, entailing that the energy it uses should not be fossil-fuel based. Given the affordability of coal, it is still not a long-term solution, even if it is easily accessible. Side-effects on water and air can be devastating and have a number of health-implications without the right technology. Thus, designers should look toward renewable energy sources for residential houses. This including PV-photovoltaic; an affordable technology on the small-scale. Some studies on solar potential in Eastern Nigeria show that kWh/y could supply a small-scale community during daylight hours.

Study carried out by Department of Meteorological Services, Federal Ministry of Civil Aviation office in Owerri (5°28′N, 7°2′E), Imo State, Nigeria in 1996 examined solar potential by looking at climatic temps, daylight hours, and photovoltaic intensity in 3 regions in Eastern Nigeria concluding: "Equations for estimation solar radiation in data sparse regions",

"Adeoti, Oyewole, and Adegboyega [13] showed that for rural areas of Nigeria, representing about 75% of the population, the domestic load demand for light-duty applications represents 2324.5 Wh/day or 850.8 kWh/year. It is recommended that rural PV-based home electrification application should be encouraged, "

This can't be ignored in the design phase an could extend energy to the residential areas, no coal and no LNG. Let's use real data here.
Re: New City In Anambra by ekubear1: 9:15pm On Feb 23, 2011
^--- Solar electricity is @ss expensive, dude. If they can afford to generate electricity that way, more power to them.

Me, I'd rather pay as little for electricity as possible.

(1) (Reply)

FG To Retrieve N1.3 Trillion From NNPC, Multi-national Companies. / What The Americans, The British, The French Could Not Do In 40 Days, GEJ Has / Two Weeks To Polls: Jonathan’s Campaign In Disarray As Buhari Surges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.