Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders (919 Views)

How Much Of Data Science Is Machine Learning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
well i feel data science is hard than web dev but its easier than learning JavaScript off heart what i mean is started data science 2 days a go and it doesn't meet the hype sometimes i think is this what ill be paid to do
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by ibromodzi: 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
blife2:
well i feel data science is hard than web dev but its easier than learning JavaScript off heart what i mean is started data science 2 days a go and it doesn't meet the hype sometimes i think is this what ill be paid to do
Quick question
Can you tell us what you've learnt in those two days?

3 Likes

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by stanliwise(m): 11:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
blife2:
I don’t think you have learnt anything. Maybe you should keep learning
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

Have you done Machine learning, Deep learning, Artificial intelligent, Big data analytics.
2 days you say, you must be a comedian. Even learning ordinary Numpy by heart takes a lot of efforts...you have pandas, matplotlib viz seaborn, plotly, power bi. Don't let me even mention tools for ML. Have you learnt art of web scrapping.

Can you do simple analysis if I give you raw data? Sit down there and be deceiving yourself. Something that some people spend reasonable amount of years getting accustomed to, you claimed you've seen it all in 2 days.

Can you even define data science to start with? If I tear you slap ehn.

5 Likes

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 19, 2020
This is completely false. The real data science (not talking about learning libraries and technologies) means learning hardcore theory, maths and all, statistics (my worst maths course) and linear algebra (not too hard, kind of like it though).

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by ibromodzi: 7:17am On Jul 19, 2020
donproject:

Have you done Machine learning, Deep learning, Artificial intelligent, Big data analytics.
2 days you say, you must be a comedian. Even learning ordinary Numpy by heart takes a lot of efforts...you have pandas, matplotlib viz seaborn, plotly, power bi. Don't let me even mention tools for ML. Have you learnt art of web scrapping.

Can you do simple analysis if I give you raw data? Sit down there and be deceiving yourself. Something that some people spend reasonable amount of years getting accustomed to, you claimed you've seen it all in 2 days.

Leave the guy alone. He seems frustrated. If people like Andrew Ng, Yoshua Bengio, Sridhar Mahadevan can say they are still learning as far as data science is concerned, then I wonder who the OP is to tell us there's nothing in DS.

2 Likes

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by nwele2017: 8:39am On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:
what have you been learning over the past two days?
I am very sure that what you have been learning is how to build machine learning model with out even understanding what you are doing, maybe you built a simple regression machine learning model to predict price or a logistic model to predict customers rentention and you think that's all in data science.
Can you spool out data from SQL?
do you know the difference between Categorical and numerical data?
can you clean a messy data?
can you do data exploration ETA to gain insight from data before building model?
can you do data munging?
can you do data scraping?
can you communicate and visualiz data findings?
do you know bi tools (Tabulea,power bi)
do you know Visualization tools like Matplotlib,seborn,ploty
do you know excel?
do you know python or R?
do you know statistical analysis?
do you know pandas?
do you know numpy?
do you know scipy?
do you know beautifulSoup or scraper?
do you know statsmodels?
do you know....am tired
My brother, if you can't calm down and learn data science through step by step process you better leave and do something else with your time....data science is not all about building machine learning model. Real world data are too messy and need to be cleaned,explored, before building any sort of machine learning model on it.
Even the machine learning model you feel is to easy to build is not easy without good knowledge of statistics and mathematics. machine learning models need to be fine tuned to produce an accurate result

Data science is not all about machine learning, Data science encompasses data analysis, business intelligence,data analytics, machine learning, data mining,deep learning even artificial intelligence is considered as part of data science.
I don't even know why am disturbing myself you are just 17 years old, you are still growing and very soon you will know that data science is not all about cramming models

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2020
ibromodzi:
Quick question Can you tell us what you've learnt in those two days?
i have learnt its like any other job
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 12:22pm On Jul 19, 2020
nwele2017:

what have you been learning over the past two days?
I am very sure that what you have been learning is how to build machine learning model with out even understanding what you are doing, maybe you built a simple regression machine learning model to predict price or a logistic model to predict customers rentention and you think that's all in data science.
Can you spool out data from SQL?
do you know the difference between Categorical and numerical data?
can you clean a messy data?
can you do data exploration ETA to gain insight from data before building model?
can you do data munging?
can you do data scraping?
can you communicate and visualiz data findings?
do you know bi tools (Tabulea,power bi)
do you know Visualization tools like Matplotlib,seborn,ploty
do you know excel?
do you know python or R?
do you know statistical analysis?
do you know pandas?
do you know numpy?
do you know scipy?
do you know beautifulSoup or scraper?
do you know statsmodels?
do you know....am tired
My brother, if you can't calm down and learn data science through step by step process you better leave and do something else with your time....data science is not all about building machine learning model. Real world data are too messy and need to be cleaned,explored, before building any sort of machine learning model on it.
Even the machine learning model you feel is to easy to build is not easy without good knowledge of statistics and mathematics. machine learning models need to be fine tuned to produce an accurate result

Data science is not all about machine learning, Data science encompasses data analysis, business intelligence,data analytics, machine learning, data mining,deep learning even artificial intelligence is considered as part of data science.
I don't even know why am disturbing myself you are just 17 years old, you are still growing and very soon you will know that data science is not all about cramming models
hmm i know all those apart from power bi
all you said are just tools the main aim of what you doing is pretty much basic clean data remove irrelevant data
webscraping getting things from html automatically
staticstics basic analysis all basic things big data just tools spark and the rest just in 2 days just don't overate smth if you don't know it in depth
if you did you know they are just fancy names

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
ibromodzi:
Quick question Can you tell us what you've learnt in those two days?
a little compared to other feilds
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 12:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
donproject:

you just sayings tools do you know how to use
2 years maybe they are not from math background
numpy haha just math in python that is fast
tools for ml jeez web scraping is just like picking what ypu want from a dirty store javascript in entirety is harder than looking at something a figuring something
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by nwele2017: 1:18pm On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

all you said are just tools the main aim of what you doing is pretty much basic clean data remove irrelevant data
staticstics basic analysis all basic things big data just tools spark and the rest just in 2 days just don't overate smth if you don't know it in depth
knowing the tools doesn't make one data analyst
There are more in data analysis than knowing the tools used, nobody will pay for just knowing the tools used for data analysis but you will be paid for using these tools to get results needed for everyday business.understanding how to find patterns out raw data, understanding a business problem that needs to be solved with the data you have, visualizing the result and communicating the result to stake holders so appropriate descion will be made is not what you will learn in two days unless you don't want to be honest with yourself and want continue to lieing to yourself then I will allow you to wallow in ignorance.
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 1:54pm On Jul 19, 2020
nwele2017:

There are more in data analysis than knowing the tools used, nobody will pay for just knowing the tools used for data analysis but you will be paid for using these tools to get results needed for everyday business.understanding how to find patterns out raw data, understanding a business problem that needs to be solved with the data you have, visualizing the result and communicating the result to stake holders so appropriate descion will be made is not what you will learn in two days unless you don't want to be honest with yourself and want continue to lieing to yourself then I will allow you to wallow in ignorance.
thats what am saying
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

you just sayings tools do you know how to use
2 years maybe they are not from math background
numpy haha just math in python that is fast
tools for ml jeez web scraping is just like picking what ypu want from a dirty store javascript in entirety is harder than looking at something a figuring something

Oga, I'm a web developer, JS is awesome, I can't say JS under my foot, I do amazing things with it, I see JS as one of the simplest languages I laid my hands on. I love it and depend on it greatly to do all the cool things concerning client-side programming. But bro, you will run doing machine learning if you are not strong. Especially when you get to reinforced learning, it is a lot harder than JS believe me.

Yes, I know how to use those tools and more I didn't mention very well, I've done some real life analysis with them, still learning though.

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Abcruz(m): 5:32pm On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

Show us the solutions you've built after 2 days of learning. It's not about the hype it's all about application to solve real world problems.
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by iLearner: 11:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
This OP is a complete joke.

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by boscho(m): 9:09pm On Jul 21, 2020
I guess d Op only heard about those tools, he may not even know how to use them cheesy. 2 days sef u can't use to get numpy basics completely. Even if u think u know d theoretical part very well, another thing is do u know how to implement those algo in codes ?. I'm sure Data Analysis he can't do yet not to talk of Data Science.

I think Mr Op wants to trend. You tried bro, but ur market no sell again �
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Microwhy: 2:32am On Jul 22, 2020
blife2:

Nairaland can scare the hell out of a beginner programmer.
Before you say jack, they will start bombarding with a common sense thing that comes with fancy names. Just to intimidate beginners and show off..
Don't mind them abeg.
On one of their show off thread, some were talking about nested loop as if its one big deal.
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Microwhy: 2:40am On Jul 22, 2020
nwele2017:

So what do you learn first? The tools or just start solving problems.
Some people understand the secret of learning new things. Even though people are so different interns of assimilation and quick understanding but the learning pattern can be the same thing.
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by blife2: 5:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
boscho:
I guess d Op only heard about those tools, he may not even know how to use them cheesy. 2 days sef u can't use to get numpy basics completely. Even if u think u know d theoretical part very well, another thing is do u know how to implement those algo in codes ?. I'm sure Data Analysis he can't do yet not to talk of Data Science.

I think Mr Op wants to trend. You tried bro, but ur market no sell again �
nah people will read and no you guys are saying shit hyping basic concepts
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Abcruz(m): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
blife2:

nah people will read and no you guys are saying shit hyping basic concepts

Enough of the talk yes I agree it is as simple as ABC. Now can you show us one solution you've built and deployed with your general knowledge?
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Chuukwudi(m): 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
ibromodzi:

Leave the guy alone. He seems frustrated. If people like Andrew Ng, Yoshua Bengio, Sridhar Mahadevan can say they are still learning as far as data science is concerned, then I wonder who the OP is to tell us there's nothing in DS.

I know Andrew Ng. Please, The other two names... Who are they? Are they nice, are their courses free too.?
Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by Chuukwudi(m): 7:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
Electricians also wonder why people spend time in the University learning about electricity.

"is it not just to connect positive and negative" they would say.

Try and dissect one model...

I don't even have strength to do this long talk.

1 Like

Re: Data Science Is Overly Hyped By Nairalanders by ibromodzi: 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2020
Chuukwudi:

I know Andrew Ng. Please, The other two names... Who are they? Are they nice, are their courses free too.?

They are all great professors of computer science who have contributed significantly to the field of DS.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ALX Data Science & Data Analyst Program Whatsapp Group Link / Blogger / Any Book On Opengl And Directx, Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.