Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,594 members, 7,816,469 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu (938 Views)

Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News / Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2011
http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24750:if-elected-president-ill-pass-foi-bill--ribadu&catid=16:headline-news&Itemid=102

If Elected President, I’ll Pass FOI Bill’ – Ribadu .

Monday, 07 February 2011 02:47 Sunday Isuwa, Abuja   . .The Presidential Candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has described the Freedom of Information (FOI) bill as “a necessary tool needed to guarantee transparency and accountability in public office” and promised that if elected president, he would ensure its passage.

According to Ribadu, the non passage of the bill by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) led and dominated National Assembly was“treason against the people of Nigeria”.

“We are not surprised by the action of majority of the legislators since most of them were not truly elected and therefore do not see it as their responsibility to champion the cause of the Nigerian people.

However, with over 2/3rd majority in both chambers of the national assembly, one would have thought that the PDP which claims to be the largest party in Africa would champion the cause for the passage of the bill,” Ribadu stated in a statement signed by the Director of Media and Communication Alhaji Ibrahim Modibbo.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Kilode1: 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2011
Now, That is one promise I can vote for!

I hope they can pull more opposition parties to their side though. It will be unfortunate if these ACN CPC people can't form a coalition to challenge PDP.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Mobinga: 3:17pm On Feb 07, 2011
Na that one we go chop?
Ribadu dey phuck up.

90% of Nigerians = Illiterates/Semi literates
How many people know what an FOI bill is? Who cares about that?

Ribadu is a novice, sorry to say Gbawe.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by fstranger3(m): 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2011
When did Ribadu become a senator?

I thought senators pass bills and presidents sign them?
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

Now, That is one promise I can vote for!

I hope they can pull more opposition parties to their side though. It will be unfortunate if these ACN CPC people can't form a coalition to challenge PDP.

This is the thing my brother !!!! It wont be easy to implement in reality but at least Ribadu has the balls to make this pledge because he is aware of the problems. We can be rest assured he will give it his best because that is his style. Lately , he has been on point with clear enunciations of what he wants to do while the likes of Jonathan continue with vague talk designed not to upset or alienate anyone.

Jonathan dare not even think let alone utter anything resembling the above. He is too scared of losing the support  of the tonnes of evil politicians he needs to secure victory. You say what Ribadu has boldly declared and you lose the support of the likes of David mark , Dimeji Bankole et al . It is as simple as that.  Sadly, Jonathan's style of carrying everyone along , including some very wicked folks , can never deliver positive results for Nigeria.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Muza(m): 3:27pm On Feb 07, 2011
fstranger3:

you took those words right out of my mouth,
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 3:30pm On Feb 07, 2011
Mobinga:

Na that one we go chop?
Ribadu dey phuck up.

90% of Nigerians = Illiterates/Semi literates
How many people know what an FOI bill is? Who cares about that?

Ribadu is a novice, sorry to say Gbawe.

No . You are the novice with how you don't see what must be seen. The FOI bill is very important- especially in a nation ravaged by corruption and lack of governance transparency. Many Nigerians may be illiterate but many are also well-read . You and me , if we understand our responsibilities as Nigerians , can always act on behalf of illiterate folks to make transparency and accountability a more common mainstay in how we are governed . The likes of Gani should never have bothered to champion the cause of the masses then. He should have given up because they are mainly illiterate .
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Kilode1: 3:33pm On Feb 07, 2011
I think he meant sign, not pass.

At a point, The FOI bill was actually passed by the HOA during the PDP-OBJ Administration, Baba Iyabo refused to sign it.

In March 2007, months to the end of his tenure as President, Olusegun Obasanjo refused to sign into law the Freedom of Information (FOI) bill, effectively killing, by an act of deliberate omission,one of the oldest billsof the 4th republic.

The FOI bill had first made its appearance in the National Assembly in October 1999, months after Mr. Obasanjo came to power. It would take five years before the House of Representatives passed it, and another two years before the Senate passed it.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5647794-146/the_caged_freedom_bill__.csp
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 3:38pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

At a point, The FOI bill was actually passed by the HOA during the PDP-OBJ Administration, Baba Iyabo refused to sign it.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5647794-146/the_caged_freedom_bill__.csp

Correct.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 07, 2011
Another kangeroo spewing rubbish,mtchew.
Who are the saints behind ribadu(i mean his core surporters),can we at least know thier antecedents,past records and possible characters.
how many states has he visited to show you that he is going to carry the ordinary man along or are we expecting another abuja politics?
where did an ex-police officer get the money to run for presidency from(Bribe or PR)?
which organisation has he successfully managed?
where is his campagn funding coming from?
Abeg make una forget ribadu,he is only going to heat up the polity and enrich himself.

ODILI,IBORI,IGBINEDION,TINUBU,ATTAH,CHIMAROKE,KALU ETC robbed this nation why he was efcc chairman,he left them to witch hunt OBJ's enemies
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by johndoe200: 4:43pm On Feb 07, 2011
fstranger3:

This is how these charlartans and political jobbers expose themselves. He will "order" the law passed and when the senate and house refuse? He will simply bypass them. What a charade.

Please people let us be serious, their is only one choice for now GEJ/SAMBO.

[size=14pt]FRESH AIR 2011[/size]
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Feb 07, 2011
At times i wonder if this politicians actually think before spewing so much jargons. Passing of bills is the dual responsibility of both the senate and to a lesser extent the president. If the senate or reps does not pass it then the president won't have the opportunity to sign it.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
fstranger3:

Actually, that's were i expected him to go and start his political career - As a Senator. After 4 years of being a senator and their is no corrupt stain on him then he can go for governorship on ending his governorship tenure on clean slate, he now come full force for presidency!

Jumping into presidency now makes it seem like he is playing with the post of president of federal republic of Nigeria.

Anyway shaa, in Nigeria, anything goes lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

i wish him success undecided undecided
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

If that be the case, the man needs to watch what he says . . . .
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If that be the case, the man needs to watch what he says . . . .

The original article I supplied is revised . I think Ribadu means he will be part of the effort to see the bill passed by lobbying lawmakers and expediting Presidential Assent to the bill once Presented. He makes that clearer below with how he stresses that his Government will not be apathetic towards the FOI bill like the Yar Adua and GEJ led Governments:

http://www.allnewsnigeria.com/nigerianewspolitics/112-politics/5014-ribadu-promises-to-pass-foi-bill.html

The ACN flag-bearer also described the apparent nonchalance with which the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan has treated the FOI bill describing it as “condemnable.”

“It is four years since the current government came to office, yet no one really knows where they stand on the FOI bill. How can President Jonathan claim to be a good leader when he cannot even champion the cause for transparency and accountability in office by actively promoting the FOI bill?

“While the PDP government has been taking Nigerians for a ride over the FOI bill, countries like Armenia, Azerbaijan, India; and African countries like Liberia and South Africa have guaranteed their citizens right to information, and shown their interest in transparent leadership by ensuring the passage and implementation of their own FOI bills."

Ribadu therefore called on Nigerians to vote out the PDP in all stages of the coming elections; as the only way for Nigerians to show their displeasure at the mishandling of the nation by the PDP is true the ballot box.

“An ACN led federal government will not only guarantee the passage of the bill, but will ensure its full implementation; as transparency and accountability are the only ways of ensuring good and responsible governance,” the statement added.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 8:32pm On Feb 07, 2011
johndoe200:

This is how these charlartans and political jobbers expose themselves. He will "order" the law passed and when the senate and house refuse? He will simply bypass them. What a charade.

Please people let us be serious, their is only one choice for now GEJ/SAMBO.

[size=14pt]FRESH AIR 2011[/size]

We know you cannot see anything good in anyone who stands against GEJ but Ribadu raise a very salient point about how Jonathan actually stands for nothing. He really is not passionate or bullish about anything . He seems , like Yar Adua , to be lethargic and without strong convictions over anything.

“It is four years since the current government came to office, yet no one really knows where they stand on the FOI bill. How can President Jonathan claim to be a good leader when he cannot even champion the cause for transparency and accountability in office by actively promoting the FOI bill?

In any case I would suggest you stop using words you dont know the meaning of. Ribadu may be many things but I think everyone can agree he is not a political jobber. Rather it is "underwhelming" Jonathan , with a highly mediocre political career,  who merit the tag of "political jobber"
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2011
angry angry
aguiyi:

Another kangeroo spewing rubbish,mtchew.
Who are the saints behind ribadu(i mean his core surporters),can we at least know thier antecedents,past records and possible characters.
how many states has he visited to show you that he is going to carry the ordinary man along or are we expecting another abuja politics?
where did an ex-police officer get the money to run for presidency from(Bribe or PR)?
which organisation has he successfully managed?
where is his campagn funding coming from?
Abeg make una forget ribadu,he is only going to heat up the polity and enrich himself.

ODILI,IBORI,IGBINEDION,TINUBU,ATTAH,CHIMAROKE,KALU ETC robbed this nation why he was efcc chairman,he left them to witch hunt OBJ's enemies
angry angry
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by doyin13(m): 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2011
I don't know why Nigerians choose to settle on semantics when serious issues are being discussed.

Barring the rarest of circumstances, a President can pretty much get a bill through the House of
Assembly if he wants to. Especially with the rapacious lot of legislators we have who are
open to any kind of inducement.

So all this talk of sign or pass are really besides the point.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Feb 07, 2011
doyin13:

Barring the rarest of circumstances, a President can pretty much get a bill through the House of
Assembly if he wants to. Especially with the rapacious lot of legislators we have who are

^^^ I doubt that !
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 8:52pm On Feb 07, 2011
afam4eva:

At times i wonder if this politicians actually think before spewing so much jargons. Passing of bills is the dual responsibility of both the senate and to a lesser extent the president. If the senate or reps does not pass it then the president won't have the opportunity to sign it.

I think we have fallen into the habit of looking at the actions of our mediocre politicians as correct. There is nothing wrong with having can-do politicians who are confident of their own ability to deliver . It is in Nigeria that mediocre politicians get away with saying nothing because the general apathy of citizens give them too much leeway that allows them to be as incompetent and as indolent as possible.

Obama , as part of his campaign manifesto , promised Healthcare reform. Once in office he worked hard and lobbied asidously to get the healthcare bill passed . Jonathan is deliberately saying nothing because he does not want to establish any benchmark at all - however minimal. Ribadu , on the other hand , has no qualms with letting Nigerians know where he stands regarding certain important issues.  It is not Ribadu who should be getting flak for saying he will work to deliver what Nigeria needs. It is many of us who should look at ourselves with how we support a man who has no committment to issues that really matter  . That is not how it works in Nations with a sophisticated voting class.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Gbawe: 9:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
doyin13:

I don't know why Nigerians choose to settle on semantics when serious issues are being discussed.

Assembly if he wants to
. Especially with the rapacious lot of legislators we have who are

You get issues completely .Can I also add that the Senate can take the character of the President i.e an indolent, clueless and nonchalant President will most likely ensure we see a Senate in the same mould . Meanwhile a vibrant, driven and energetic President can bring these qualities to bear enough on the Senate to the extent that he gains energetic and vibrant assitance from Lawmakers. We cannot just indolently write-off this pledge from Ribadu because we are now used to a self-serving legislative arm and an executive arm that arrogantly feels no need to tell Nigerians of how it plans to tackle certain serious considerations. That is the heights of irresponsibility as a voter .
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by Alxmyr(m): 12:23am On Feb 08, 2011
doyin13:

You wrote out of ignorance.
Re: If Elected President, I’ll Pass Foi Bill’ – Ribadu by doyin13(m): 1:12am On Feb 08, 2011
Alxmyr:

You wrote out of ignorance.

enlighten me. . .

(1) (Reply)

Ju / Why I Didn’t Attend Nn24 Presidential Debate ––jonathan / Thank you Yar Adua for 'President Goodluck Jonthan'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.