Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,973 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News (55755 Views)

Boko Haram Is Wounded And Dangerous - Yahoo News / Prof. Osinbajo Pledges To God Not To Steal Public Funds If Elected / Will Muhammadu Buhari Be Nigeria's Next President?-- Yahoo News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2015
A things to do list(REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde)

No one is sure what the outcome of the Nigerian elections will be. In recent days the state-by-state projections have multiplied, occupying the front pages of major Nigerian newspapers. The opposition believes that had the elections held as originally scheduled, in February, before a controversial postponement, General Muhammadu Buhari would have won comfortably over president Goodluck Jonathan.

But six weeks, in politics, is an eternity. Since the postponement the momentum has swung away from Buhari’s All Progressives Congress, towards the ruling Peoples Democratic Party. What is unclear is the extent to which the gap between the two parties – if indeed there was any – has narrowed.

There is understandable nervousness regarding these elections, never before now, it seems, have the stakes been this high. If the election takes place as planned (there are a number of court cases that appear aimed at scuttling it) and is not attended by a stalemate, and Buhari is declared winner by the electoral commission, here are five things the new President should – or will have to – do:

1. Apologize

Thirty years ago Buhari and his deputy, the late Tunde Idiagbon, ran the country as stern, unsmiling, bordering-on-ruthless military generals. They jailed hundreds of politicians (a good number of them unfairly; such was the blanket nature of the clampdown), muzzled the press, retroactively instituted the death sentence for drug trafficking (resulting in the execution of three convicted persons), and generally presided over an increasingly stifling atmosphere. While they may have had good intentions – cleaning up in the wake of a corrupt and inept set of politicians – and while it is important to understand that a dictatorship, by its very nature, requires dictatorial action, I still think that Buhari owes some people, or groups of persons, an apology; a symbolic action to turn the page on a past that was as marked by error as it was by its idealism. People like Adeyemi Adefulu and Tinuoye Shoneyin, who insist the Buhari regime unjustly treated him – even while taking their place on a growing list of Buhari victims who have since forgiven him and are now championing his candidacy. Shoneyin’s daughter Lola, a writer, is even on Buhari’s campaign team and has written on this.

Adefulu says: “I [would] still like Buhari to vocalize an apology and offer some succour to people like me whom his government brutalized in the past. It is the least he can do. To do so is not weakness. Indeed, it is strength to admit the mistakes of the past and to promote national reconciliation.”

Assert

There will be hundreds of appointments to be made, starting May 29 – ministers, special advisers, senior special assistants, special assistants, ambassadors, members of governing boards for tens of federal government bodies, possibly even new leadership for the military and police. Much of the attention will be on his choice of chief of staff, finance and petroleum ministers, and his economic management team.

In his book, The Sixteen ‘Sins’ of General Muhammadu Buhari, Tam David-West, Buhari’s minister of petroleum during his days as military head of state, and an enduring supporter, says his appointment as a minister came as a surprise; based purely on his resume and his reputation. While Buhari’s pedigree suggests that in making his key appointments merit will stubbornly trump political pressure, it is important to note that he is also now, in his most recent incarnation as presidential candidate of a motley coalition of politicians, a much more pragmatic player than ever before.

Nigerians will also be expecting him to provide moral authority and hands-on leadership to the team. He has himself hinted, in a recent letter to Nigerians, of his desire to ensure “the Federal Executive Council, which has been turned to a weekly session of contract bazaar, will concentrate on its principal function of policy making.”

Assess

Four years of $100 plus per oil barrel prices have come to an end, and Nigeria hasn’t got very much to show for it; understandable when you consider that the last four years have been awash with stories of dodgy oil deals and large-scale oil bunkering. Buhari’s first task will be to assess just how bad things are. (We already have an idea, Nigeria is expected to earn, this year, only two thirds of what it earned in oil revenues last year). In recent speeches Buhari has repeatedly hinted at drawing a line between past and present, by which he means restricting his anti-corruption clampdown to infractions that occur on his watch as president, and not those that preceded him. This seemingly mollifying stance is likely to have arisen on account of the frenzy with which the ruling party has sought to portray him as being still as obsessed with sending perceived opponents to jail as he was three decades ago. As a civilian President he will probably realize that he has to decide, on a case-by-case basis, where that line-drawing will apply, and where it will not.

Finally, Nigerians deserve, within Buhari’s first hundred days in office, a State of the Nation Address, in which he will provide an honest and detailed view of the country’s financial situation. Which leads to the next point:

Articulate

The entire system of government communication requires overhauling. Currently it’s divided among several officials, including a minister of information, a special adviser to the president on media, and any number of presidential assistants and special assistants assigned to specific functions like “social media”, “new media” and “public affairs. The result is an alarming incoherence, visible every time you open a newspaper, or your Twitter feed. As president Buhari should immediately take steps to streamline government communications, and create a unified, hierarchical structure in which all roles and responsibilities are clarified. He may also want to consider creating a central management team for government communications, similar in intent and style to the one former president Obasanjo created for the economy.

Attack

Boko Haram has in the last few years proven to be the ultimate disciplinarian of the Nigerian state. If elected, Buhari should take immediate steps to shore up the confidence and capacity of the Nigerian military. His opponents have worked hard at labeling him an Islamic fundamentalist, an apologist for Sharia Islamic law, and even a Boko Haram sympathiser. On the strength of available evidence – including testimonials, and his record as Head of State – the allegations are implausible. In his book Honour For Sale, Debo Bashorun, one-time Nigerian presidential spokesperson (during the regime of military dictator Ibrahim Babangida, who overthrew Buhari in August 1985) suggests that Babangida, not Buhari, was the one who tolerated religious fundamentalism. Bashorun writes of the “sudden re-emergence” during Babangida’s time, of “self-proclaimed clerics and Islamic fundamentalists whose nocturnal and divisive activities had earlier been effectively curtailed during the Buhari/Idiagbon administration.” As head of state Buhari showed little mercy or tolerance towards religious extremists or militant challengers of the Nigerian state whether they were Chadian bandits laying siege to the northeast at that time Boko Haram, or the rump of the Maitatsine sect, a 1980s precursor of Boko Haram. A similar approach to Boko Haram will be required

http://qz.com/369673/the-five-things-buhari-should-do-if-nigeria-elects-him-president-this-weekend/

33 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by SeverusSnape(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
[s]#Neveragain.... There's nothing to do because the illiterate is not going anywhere. Hope you know who I'm talking about?....[/s]

Buhari is now the president elect. cool

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by temitemi1(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
Wake up! Wake up! U have been dreaming all day grin grin grin. GEJ till 2019!!!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
General Buhari as expected will be declared the Winner by overwhelming percentage of the Population come Saturday. I buy most of the assertion of the writer of this piece and it is indeed a masterpiece.

Do you observe the general acceptance of GMB by the Local and Foreign Media who aren't beneficiaries of the DOLLAR RAIN of the PDP

Lalasticlala I don't know why my pendy79 account was banned since sunday but would appreciate if it can be unban so I can deactivate it. Thanks and God bless.

For all PROGRESSIVES it was a hard fought victory and the REWARD is so SWEET.

Out and always yours PENDY79

till 2019 folks

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by politricks: 9:37pm On Mar 25, 2015
The world has seen the handwriting on the wall. They know Buhari will become the new president hence the focus on him. Only deluded fellows still thinks jonathan has a chance. And going through the article, there was never anywhere they said Buhari was corrupt or he ran a corrupt government like how the ruling party has made us believe . That is why i say and would always say
Sai Buhari

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 9:37pm On Mar 25, 2015
I SAY WELCOME THE NEXT EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

5 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 25, 2015
Great...immediately he is pronounced winner, I plan to dedicate time to assist the new government chart a new path of recovery. This article clearly articulates some of my thoughts.

I am aware that the new government headed by Buhari would be expected to hit the ground running from the first day being May 29,2015 therefore I pledge to contribute as much as is required to make him succeed.

Ordinarily we expect him to do the following:-

1. Announce his intention to form a national government
2. Develop a shadow government to work with outgoing government - similar to Fayose's model in Ekiti
3. Develop a marshal plan on critical sectors
4. Develop a multi-pronged foreign relations similar to India BJP model.
5. Relocate operating centre of his government back to Lagos

cc: lalasticlala

Sai Buhari

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Millionjazz(m): 10:21pm On Mar 25, 2015
I never know buhari and APC was spoken about in the bible. Pls before u vote read prover24:21-22... U will be suprised and will agree with me that there is nth new under the sun!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by moderatorr1: 10:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
Yimu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 11:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
Keneking:
Great...immediately he is pronounced winner, I plan to dedicate time to assist the new government chart a new path of recovery. This article clearly articulates some of my thoughts.

I am aware that the new government headed by Buhari would be expected to hit the ground running from the first day being May 29,2015 therefore I pledge to contribute as much as is required to make him succeed.

cc: lalasticlala

Sai Buhari

so much rot from head to toes in the way the Government runs

3 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 3:36pm On Mar 26, 2015
pendicle:
I SAY WELCOME THE NEXT EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

lalasticlala, seun, I don't know the moderator who block my pendy79 moniker from posting new topics 4days after serving a ban I don't deserve yet I'm still prevented from contributing. Hope it is not an APC supporters muzzling because I've reported and complained and yet no rectification? you guys should just allow us till Sunday after the DECLARATION OF GMB I PROMISE TO LEAVE THE FORUM.
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Eshinwaju: 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2015
Sai baba.....a man of discipline...n action... grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 4:15pm On Mar 26, 2015
Eshinwaju:
Sai baba.....a man of discipline...n action... grin grin

Ijaya CORRUPTION
Ijaya TERRORISTS
ijaya BUNKERERS

5 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
JackBaueress:
next time,mail the mods directly through their usernames. Stop using the "mail supermods" button. You will always be ignored.
Sorry for the ban.

Sai Buhari!

okay thanks, I'm not bothered again about it. I've served the ban and 5days after I still can't create new posts.

I'm deactivating my account on Sunday after the DECLARATION of GMB so make them.dey do as they like.

3 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by vedaxcool(m): 4:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
Sai Buhari, I hope Jonathan has packed his things atleast he will have a lot of em em to enjoy the rest of his miserable ordinary stealing they will call it corruption life!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by JackBaueress(f): 4:34pm On Mar 26, 2015
pendicle:

okay thanks, I'm not bothered again about it. I've served the ban and 5days after I still can't create new posts.

I'm deactivating my account on Sunday after the DECLARATION of GMB so make them.dey do as they like.
If I advice you not to deactivate your account,I am a hypocrite. After all,I did the same. grin

Anyway,Buhari's victory is sure,can't wait to celebrate

2 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Demmzy15(m): 4:42pm On Mar 26, 2015
JackBaueress:
If I advice you not to deactivate your account,I am a hypocrite. After all,I did the same. grin

Anyway,Buhari's victory is sure,can't wait to celebrate
Yes o my beautiful sister, I can't just wait for his "swearing in"! grin
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 26, 2015
G= Goodluck

M= Moves to

B= Bayelsa

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by efilefun(m): 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
Even the international medias all know GMB is winning

Sai Baba
Sai BUhari
Vote Change!!!!!!!!
God bless Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by medamillion(m): 4:52pm On Mar 26, 2015
T
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by omenka(m): 5:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
Most importantly, you should strive to reunite nigerians along ethnic and religious lines. Jonathan, over a period of four years, has incinerated every single tie that bind us along those lines. Those who still embrace and accommodate themselves despite these differences, and in spite of Jonathan's divisive tendencies, are largely in the minority today.

It would be great to see us set aside these mundane prejudices and work towards a common course and goal; peace, and prosperity.

God Bless and strengthen GMB.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by egift(m): 5:16pm On Mar 26, 2015
Nigerians are ready. Africans are ready. The world is ready as well.

Sai Buhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by LieDetector(m): 5:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
Can't wait for that moment when the general shall be declared outright winner of the presidential poll.

Sai baba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by taharqa: 5:26pm On Mar 26, 2015
pendicle:
General Buhari as expected will be declared the Winner by overwhelming percentage of the Population come Saturday. I buy most of the assertion of the writer of this piece and it is indeed a masterpiece.

Do you observe the general acceptance of GMB by the Local and Foreign Media who aren't beneficiaries of the DOLLAR RAIN of the PDP

This is NOT the opinion of Yahoo news you LIAR but that of a Tinubu man from the SW writing a mere opinion piece in the said medium
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by jmoore(m): 5:47pm On Mar 26, 2015
Buhari must stabilize world oil price!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Babacele: 6:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
JackBaueress:
next time,mail the mods directly through their usernames. Stop using the "mail supermods" button. You will always be ignored.
Sorry for the ban.

Sai Buhari!
That was how NL blocked me 2days ago n held my hand for Bacanista but I headbutt him giving a bloody nose for all his lies. after the election we have so many unfinished businesses! meanwhile let us be patient with NL. who knows wat war PDP is unleashing on them too? who knows.
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Pebcak: 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
NOTED

#BABAWHENYOUGETTHERE
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by Babacele: 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
JackBaueress:
Sorry for the ban.

Sai Buhari!
That was how NL blocked me 2days ago n held my hand for Bacanista but I e-headbutt him giving him a bloody nose for all his lies. after the election we have so many unfinished businesses! meanwhile let us be patient with NL. who knows wat war PDP is unleashing on them too? who knows.

1 Like

Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2015
JackBaueress:
Sorry for the ban.

Sai Buhari!
got a year ban for this comment few minutes ago but it was not hidden. How is this comment a false info when I had several experience of being ignored?

No wahala,I still dey kampe!
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by pendicle: 11:07am On Mar 27, 2015
taharqa:

This is NOT the opinion of Yahoo news you LIAR but that of a Tinubu man from the SW writing a mere opinion piece in the said medium

Are you just daft or just ignorantly stupid. If yahoo news page carries the article on their homepage and I clearly indicate it there as yahoo news and not yahoo are you so daft not to know the rationale behind the title.

I should assume all articles on BBC or CNN news website or news must be written by their staff before they feature it. Some of you PDP supporters are just so badly ignorant stupid daft and unenlightened. Go get informed and stop exhibiting stupidity.
Re: Five Things General Buhari Should Do If Elected President - Yahoo News by taharqa: 11:15am On Mar 27, 2015
pendicle:

Are you just daft or just ignorantly stupid. If yahoo news page carries the article on their homepage and I clearly indicate it there as yahoo news and not yahoo are you so daft not to know the rationale behind the title.

I should assume all articles on BBC or CNN news website or news must be written by their staff before they feature it. Some of you PDP supporters are just so badly ignorant stupid daft and unenlightened. Go get informed and stop exhibiting stupidity.

OLODO , if an article wasn't written by the editorial team or Staff of a medium organization, that article or opinion cannot be said to be from or represent the views of that medium

Even an idiiot like yourself can write an OPINION piece and get it published at Yahoo news (although I hardly doubt that for you )

Gat It??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Rotimi Amaechi Convinced Buhari To Wear A Suit During The Campaign Era / PDP Rejects Ekiti Election Process, Says Results Were Concocted By APC. / Attahiru Jega Joins PRP (Peoples Redemption Party)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.