Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY (2852 Views)

We Married As Virgins - Couple Who Welcomed Triplets After 25 Years Of Marriage / Woman Seeks Divorce After 25 Years In UAE; Court Tells Her To Return To Husband / Doctor Paid His Mother A Surprise Visit After 7 Years Abroad (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by koyen(m): 11:58am On Jul 21, 2020
Source: www.knowefritin.com

I love my parents but I think this is beyond what I can take.

I will be very brief. I travelled to the US 25 years ago to work and study and was lucky to get a good job over there for the period of 25 years.

I made quite a lot of money this period and as an African man I told my parents to open an account for me in Nigeria so I can be sending in some money knowing well that I will return soon.

I sent way over 50 million naira equivalent in Dollars but to my surprise I returned due to covid19 and my parents are trying to tell me stories that the money was used for this and that… My hard earned money.

What do they expect me to do now that I am back. Am kinda depressed, I wish it wasn’t my parents I would have broken somebody’s head since.

This is really confusing, how such an amount would just go on stories and stories….

Read more True Life Stories @ www.knowefritin.com

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by MEGA4BILLION(m): 12:07pm On Jul 21, 2020
All this fake stories. How is it possible for your parents to make withdrawals from your without your due authorisation through cheque, ATM card and app.

11 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Skyfornia(m): 12:13pm On Jul 21, 2020
Is there no Nigeria bank account one can create while abroad? CBN should look into this.

2 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 21, 2020
25 years, you should have savings too in the U.S.
Ask if they are your true parents btw dust your feet and return back where u actually belong. smiley

5 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by johhbekeboh09: 2:52pm On Jul 21, 2020
Skyfornia:
Is there no Nigeria bank account one can create while abroad? CBN should look into this.

Domiciliary a/c you mean?!
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by tunjilee003: 5:13pm On Jul 21, 2020
pictures or we don't believe
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Klass99(f): 5:37pm On Jul 21, 2020
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Skyfornia(m): 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2020
johhbekeboh09:

Domiciliary a/c you mean?!

Yes...but can it be created in Nigeria from abroad?
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by LordReed(m): 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2020
MEGA4BILLION:
All this fake stories. How is it possible for your parents to make withdrawals from your without your due authorisation through cheque, ATM card and app.

They opened the account, stands to reason that they are signatories to it.
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by chii8(f): 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2020
MEGA4BILLION:

Since they were the ones who opened the account, they are the signatory to the account, the account just has their son's name.
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by MEGA4BILLION(m): 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2020
chii8:

Since they were the ones who opened the account, they are the signatory to the account, the account just has their son's name.

and he didn't have any bank account before travalling out abi?

1 Like

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by MEGA4BILLION(m): 10:49pm On Jul 21, 2020
LordReed:

They opened the account, stands to reason that they are signatories to it.

and what happened to the bank account he had before travelling. All these nollyhood storyline with no sense

2 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by johhbekeboh09: 8:59am On Jul 22, 2020
Skyfornia:

Wow...
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 22, 2020
Skyfornia:

Exactly my thoughts.

Isn't there a way you can directly be in charge of an account here while abroad?

This can be very devastating.

They are your parent, nothing you can do.
The only mistake you made was putting them in charge or even opening an account and saving here. You would have been better off saving over there.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. I learnt something from your story.

Take heart.

1 Like

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Blackpearlous(f): 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2020
Very sad
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by FuckUsername: 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2020
[s]
Klass99:

I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe a Nigerian banker can tell us how it is possible.
[/s]
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by placeofallure(f): 5:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
My subscription finished yesterday. So I was watching a program on NTA, a talk show. The man was abroad for 9 years and he was sending money to the tune of #150m to the lady, his childhood love, for investing in real estate and safe keeping. Now he's back, the woman is heavily pregnant for another man and all hell let loose, the man wants his money. There were accusations and counter accusations. The lady claimed he never communicated with her all through his sojourn in US, the man said but he was sending money. I wondered too what kinda comm the lady was looking for. Money was dropping into your account, yet you said he never communicated!

The lady swore she won't return a dime, that the money was damages for making her do 6 abortions before he left, letting her drop out from school so he could use the money to travel, frustrating her emotionally by getting involved with women while abroad and allowing them to have babies for him. Part of her grievances was also the fact that such dalliances have produced 4 kids and he's back with them.

After haggling to and fro, the mediator begged the lady to return the money. She's squandered it, she will squeeze out #50m.
The man was full of regrets.... according to him, He has brothers, he has cousins, he has a father.... He couldn't forgive himself why he had to do this with a woman shocked shocked shocked his eyes are now cleared.

But on seeing this post, I wondered if he would've fared better sending money to a relative. Nobody to be trusted anymore.

1 Like

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by armyofone(m): 8:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
Very possible - Nigerians sure know how to rip of people.

Hope he didn't just give up completely - just fly back and pick up from where you left.
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Ultraf: 12:07pm On Jul 23, 2020
[i][/i]
MEGA4BILLION:

and what happened to the bank account he had before travelling. All these nollyhood storyline with no sense

It may sound funy and as if it's not real, but I'm a victim of such. Mine though different, I have a brother entrusted with documents plots of land in the East, since I reside in another part of Nigeria.
Fortunately for him and unfortunately for me in most cases, I send the money to him to pay and leave the documents with him.
I only discovered that he has sold most of the land, except one, about 12 plots of land in four different locations. I was like in a dream, wish somebody could wake me up from the bad dream.
But the stark reality dawned on me, I confided in my sister, she was more shocked than Gen Buhari.
And I couldn't bring my self to tell my wife, because it sounds like a fiction.
All along she was of the opinion that a few parcels were ok, and I should build. Which I understand, but because my inheritance portion can't contain a room and parlour, I kept acquiring.
The only saving grace is that I developed one which is my personal house. And another in the city where I reside.
Funy!

2 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by johhbekeboh09: 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2020
Skyfornia:

Yes some Banks haa taken the initiative
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by wwwkaycom(m): 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
Did people call this fake stories? My childhood friend is in Maryland, USA. His dad, I mean biological father was building a house for him here. He asked me to help him monitor the project in 2017 when it dawned on him that he had paid too much for a 4 bedroom duplex. To roof it, his dad gave him a bill of 3.5million naira, the guy asked me to take a roofing company there, they gave me a quotation of 1.8million which I think was on the high side. His father called me and told me not to ever step the project site again in my life. He said I am instigating his son against him. That's the last time I went there. I told my friend what transpired between his father and I, it was then he revealed to me that his father earlier told him that roofing the house will cost 3.5 million. I told him if he had informed me about his father's attitude earlier, I wouldn't have made attempt to take any roofer to the site. The guy actually abandoned the project and told his father to sell it off. It took intervention of elders in their family to resolve this thing I'm writing here. The house was later handled by an elderly engineer in their family for about 1.7 million naira. True life story, his biological father, my own friend. We attended primary, secondary and university together in Nigeria. This is a guy who sends nothing less than 50k to his parent every month o, so its not a case of a son who hasn't been responsible to his father.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by mariahAngel(f): 6:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
wwwkaycom:
Did people call this fake stories? My childhood friend is in Maryland, USA. His dad, I mean biological father was building a house for him here. He asked me to help him monitor the project in 2017 when it dawned on him that he had paid too much for a 4 bedroom duplex. To roof it, his dad gave him a bill of 3.5million naira, the guy asked me to take a roofing company there, they gave me a quotation of 1.8million which I think was on the high side. His father called me and told me not to ever step the project site again in my life. He said I am instigating his son against him. That's the last time I went there. I told my friend what transpired between his father and I, it was then he revealed to me that his father earlier told him that roofing the house will cost 3.5 million. I told him if he had informed me about his father's attitude earlier, I wouldn't have made attempt to take any roofer to the site. The guy actually abandoned the project and told his father to sell it off. It took intervention of elders in their family to resolve this thing I'm writing here. The house was later handled by an elderly engineer in their family for about 1.7 million naira. True life story, his biological father, my own friend. We attended primary, secondary and university together in Nigeria. This is a guy who sends nothing less than 50k to his parent every month o, so its not a case of a son who hasn't been responsible to his father.

Why do people do such things? It doesn't make any sense...
It's like stealing from yourself. This is what is killing Nigeria as a country today. sad
Greed.

4 Likes

Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by breadtom: 11:42am On Aug 23, 2020
Hmmm
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Oracleforce: 6:57pm On Aug 23, 2020
I thought you can transfer money from any part of the country....and someone can open a bank account for you in proxy...

Anyway, may you recover fast
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by johhbekeboh09: 10:26am On Sep 24, 2020
[b][/b]
Skyfornia:

Update:

You can open a domiciliary account in any Nigerian bank and operate it while abroad or whithin the country with your Mastercard or Internet Banking
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 24, 2020
This can't be real, what kind of parent would want to do such, I hope it's a story and not true life story biko.
Re: I Came Back After 25 Years Abroad And All My Life Savings Becomes A STORY by Oizee(f): 7:27pm On Sep 24, 2020
Do you have siblings? Dis ur story sef, u only sent money to be saved? What happens to investment or building of structure?

(1) (Reply)

Closed now / What Would You Do If Your Ward Bring This Book Home (photo) / Mother Carries And Bathes Her Adult Son To Wish Him Happy Birthday - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.