Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

The Kainji Dam In Pictures - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Kainji Dam In Pictures (93498 Views)

Nine Die As Vehicle Plunges Into Dam In Kano (Photos) / Usuma Dam, Abuja: You Won't Believe This Is Nigeria (Video, Photos) / My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by asatemple(f): 9:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
Good to know
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by guru90: 9:06pm On Jul 26, 2020
Imagine, we generate light in our own country but we don't have constant electricity.

But our neighbouring countries that we sold light to, get light pass the originator.

9ja na business country only.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Opperwezen(m): 9:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
OLDESTWARRIBOY:

Really Oya take this one tey step down
You well?

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Chinobastardaw: 9:08pm On Jul 26, 2020
Naijaepic:
In answering your questions, ask yourself this simple question.

What will be the value of Kanji hydro plant to Nigeria, if and only if, all the countries that river Niger pass through decided to build dam on its course to generate electricity.

Nigeria is the last country on which river Niger pass through before it offload into India ocean .

Atlantic ocean

5 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 9:08pm On Jul 26, 2020
Opperwezen:

You well?

Oya Enlighten me na....
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 26, 2020
Onitsha, Port Harcourt and Lagos should have their own dams too.

They have large water bodies.

Joking country.

2 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by SenecaTheYonger: 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
How come we couldn’t build this before white people came?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Reference(m): 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
noble71:
shocked
"Some part of electricity generated are sold to neighbouring countries"
Why sell the electricity? when your citizens don't have steady light. undecided

Meanwhile Sell your Ethereum to us.

Oga. All massive transnational rivers have the challenge of ownership or resource control. And it is only by treaties the resources of the river can be managed without crises.

When a dam is built it has significant effects downstream. Remember we are downstream of about half a dozen countries (if I'm not mistaken) that own the Niger.

One, it reduces the volume of water available for, for instance power generation.

Two it reduces the quality of water available with regards to aquaculture (fishes cannot swin through dams) and farming (as the rich nutrients of natural river flows can be hijacked by irrigation or held back by the dam.

If every nation along the path of the Niger from the Futa Jallon to the border of Nigeria towed our path and built significant dams you can imagine the terrible effect it will have on not only the energy sector but on agriculture, fishery and the environment.

That is what we are paying for by giving them electricity. The treaty compensates them or officially bribes them so as not to build their own Kainji dams.

The same problem Egypt had with the Sudan decades ago concerning the River Nile and is having right now with regards to Ethiopia. Ethiopia is determined to build their own dam and Egypt is beligerent. They know if the dam is built their agricultural industry will almost certainly collapse.

The Benue has no such problems as the source of water comes from the Camerounian highlands, almost impossible to dam such that once in a while they even dump excess water on us causing major flooding in Benue and Cross-River states every other year.

18 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by SenecaTheYonger: 9:14pm On Jul 26, 2020
hakeem4:
only 8 out of the 12 are functional.

Maybe we should just tryout nuclear energy as another option for generating electricity

Actually only 2 are fully functional right now.

3 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Reference(m): 9:20pm On Jul 26, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Actually only 2 are fully functional right now.

I am not sure of the design but if doesn't have a silt flush it could mean the efficiency of the dam maybe compromised.

But it could also be that the turbines are whacked which is not an easy thing to replace at all and I mean not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by letitrainnow(m): 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2020
Thanks op for the update.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Ezmans: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2020
Kobicove:
This dam was build during Nigeria's hey days before our politicians went haywire and started stealing everything in sight! sad
A good wind energy from nothern Nigerian can serve the whole nigeria
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by IamCookie(f): 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2020
Reference:

Oga. All massive transnational rivers have the challenge of ownership or resource control. And it is only by treaties the resources of the river can be managed without crises.

When a dam is built it has significant effects downstream. Remember we are downstream of about half a dozen countries (if I'm not mistaken) that own the Niger.

One, it reduces the volume of water available for, for instance power generation.

Two it reduces the quality of water available with regards to aquaculture (fishes cannot swin through dams) and farming (as the rich nutrients of natural river flows can be hijacked by irrigation or held back by the dam.

If every nation along the path of the Niger from the Futa Jallon to the border of Nigeria towed our path and built significant dams you can imagine the terrible effect it will have on not only the energy sector but on agriculture, fishery and the environment.

That is what we are paying for by giving them electricity. The treaty compensates them or officially bribes them so as not to build their own Kainji dams.

The same problem Egypt had with the Sudan decades ago concerning the River Nile and is having right now with regards to Ethiopia. Ethiopia is determined to build their own dam and Egypt is beligerent. They know if the dam is built their agricultural industry will almost certainly collapse.

The Benue has no such problems as the source of water comes from the Camerounian highlands, almost impossible to dam such that once in a while they even dump excess water on us causing major flooding in Benue and Cross-River states every other year.

Better explained
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by OlujobaSamuel: 9:26pm On Jul 26, 2020
solonnachi:

Gowon's regime was exceptional. That time Nigeria was so rich that we didn't know what to spend money on. After his regime, the rest is history.

Lol, Udoji Money.
There is Udoji Road in Ilaro.
I read a minister Abi Na head of state once said, Nigeria problem isn't money but what to do with money as we have excess of money.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Flytime: 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2020
puyol005:
Seem like military regime really favoured Nigeria. From Kanji, Third mainland Bridges, lagos airport, national stadium and so on. Democracy is a scam joor.
During Sani abacha regime he reduced inflation from 52% to 8% something I doubt a democratic government would have achieved then.
They go against human rights and embezzle but they also help
Democratic government just embezzle do nothing and claim human right.

It still baffles me that NIGERIA couldn't use the dam to its full capacity.

4 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by fergie001: 9:31pm On Jul 26, 2020
Pimpmaride:
Nice

I don't understand how water is use to generate electricity

I can't seem to understand at all

Can someone please explain, how can a body of water generate electricity
The energy gotten from body of rushing falling water which is kinetic helps spin the turbine blades attached to the shaft of the synchronous generator, converting to mechanical energy.

The generator in turn converts mech to electrical energy which is interconnected to the grid...and so on.

Just a principle of magnetism & electricity.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by blessedchild234(m): 9:32pm On Jul 26, 2020
1.4 billion naira you mean?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 26, 2020
Pimpmaride:
Nice

I don't understand how water is use to generate electricity

I can't seem to understand at all

Can someone please explain, how can a body of water generate electricity

When your physics teacher was teaching you where laughing at his trousers now see you are disgracing yourself on the internet.

This will be around ss1 physics or has basic science and technology

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by fergie001: 9:36pm On Jul 26, 2020
CARLOSZ:

The Dadin Kowa Dam in Gombe state have been completed since 1984, all civilian governments since Obasanjo, GEJ and now Buhari have allocated billions of naira to install turbines but nothing has been done.

Its hard to believe that a dam completed in 1984 haven't generated at least a megawatt of power in 2020
I thought they commissioned it Dec 2019.

Had an Engineer-friend who wanted me to work there sometime last year, but for distance......so nothing is really happening there?

E be things.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Pacesetter123(m): 9:36pm On Jul 26, 2020
CARLOSZ:

The Dadin Kowa Dam in Gombe state have been completed since 1984, all civilian governments since Obasanjo, GEJ and now Buhari have allocated billions of naira to install turbines but nothing has been done.

Its hard to believe that a dam completed in 1984 haven't generated at least a megawatt of power in 2020
Dats 9ja for you!!
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Investnow2017: 9:37pm On Jul 26, 2020
Reference:

You are truly a good source of reference cheesy Seriously, the summary is that apart from the basic infrastructure put in place during the first two decades of Nigeria's independence......... Make i stop here grin
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Yankee101: 9:37pm On Jul 26, 2020
Nigeria had more vision, direction and hope back then
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by CARLOSZ: 9:41pm On Jul 26, 2020
fergie001:

I thought they commissioned it Dec 2019.

Had an Engineer-friend who wanted me to work there sometime last year, but for distance......so nothing is really happening there?

E be things.

Nothing is happening there.

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Pacesetter123(m): 9:42pm On Jul 26, 2020
puyol005:
Seem like military regime really favoured Nigeria. From Kanji, Third mainland Bridges, lagos airport, national stadium and so on. Democracy is a scam joor.
I concur.These civilian administrators are so wasteful for my liking.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by feelinboyya(m): 9:42pm On Jul 26, 2020
2018 that year in New Bussa....visited the Dam
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by fergie001: 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2020
majamajic:
Let's try solar storage
It's more efficient and better
This is old system !
financial implications?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by fergie001: 9:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
CARLOSZ:

Nothing is happening there.
Terrible....very terrible.
We are not serious in this country, wallahi.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by thatigboman: 9:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
CARLOSZ:

that's heart breaking
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Playermayweda(m): 9:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
Was completed in the sixties in about 2yrs,If it was now with that amount it will be running at 50 percent capacity after 10yrs of consty

2 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by SenecaTheYonger: 9:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
Reference:

I am not sure of the design but if doesn't have a silt flush it could mean the efficiency of the dam maybe compromised.

But it could also be that the turbines are whacked which is not an easy thing to replace at all and I mean not easy at all.

Do you have an idea the name of the original company that mounted the current turbine there?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Playermayweda(m): 9:46pm On Jul 26, 2020
Was completed in the sixties in about 2yrs,If it was now with that amount it will be running at 50 percent capacity after 10yrs of construction

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics) / Banana Island In Pictures / Roads In Dubai Vs Roads In Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.