Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

The Kainji Dam In Pictures - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Kainji Dam In Pictures (93422 Views)

Nine Die As Vehicle Plunges Into Dam In Kano (Photos) / Usuma Dam, Abuja: You Won't Believe This Is Nigeria (Video, Photos) / My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by lereinter(m): 9:47pm On Jul 26, 2020
Those days I visit new bussa
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by yoursidenigga(m): 9:49pm On Jul 26, 2020
allanphash7:
Yet we don't have up to 10000MW as at 2021

Sucks

You are wishing us bad in advance grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by OlujobaSamuel: 9:55pm On Jul 26, 2020
Mathscum:

When your physics teacher was teaching you where laughing at his trousers now see you are disgracing yourself on the internet.

This will be around ss1 physics or has basic science and technology
You don't have to insult him Na, he might not be a science student and not really familiar with mechanical works.

3 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Pacesetter123(m): 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2020
salamudeen:
Hmm. Kainji dam is under Borgu LGA of Niger state... Bros the land mass alone in Borgu is more than 2 to 3 states combined in the east...

Those that have visited can testify..

There are places inside borgu emirate that would take you 4 - 6 hours to get to..

Bosses I wonder why companies and investors are not coming here maybe it's due to location and distance..

Light 24/7. But their head set touch atimes

Peace is guaranteed

An army barrack with 2 battalions...

An Air Force base where our amiable first female fighter jet pilot is... I even saw her yesterday in town.....

See guys Borgu is so large that even some people in the state don't even know how large it is...

Ask me anything about kainji dam and Borgu... Am at your service because I stay and live there...

My problem with those places up north there is insecurity.Is it not that same local government dat people wer drown yesterday trying to flee by boats from bandits?My brother,wen security situation improves there,u can then invite us to come.

4 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 10:06pm On Jul 26, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:
How come we couldn’t build this before white people came?

The REAL question you should ask if you didn't have colonial mentality is:

Why did it take Independence for us to have a dam? Our First dam and power plant?

Commissioned in 1964 by the Balewa administration.

What did the British who ruled from 1897 to 1960 do with all the money they made from the exports of our products for 63 years?

Lord Lugard, Lord McPherson, Lord this, Lord that.

What did they do with all our money?

THAT is the question you should be asking, Mr white man worshiper.

David Cameron once called Nigerian leaders ''fantastically corrupt''.

But they are angels compared to his kinsmen who ruled here before them.

2 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Thryphosa(m): 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2020
salamudeen:
Hmm. Kainji dam is under Borgu LGA of Niger state... Bros the land mass alone in Borgu is more than 2 to 3 states combined in the east...

There are places inside borgu emirate that would take you 4 - 6 hours to get to..

Bosses I wonder why companies and investors are not coming here maybe it's due to location and distance..

Peace is guaranteed

An Air Force base where our amiable first female fighter jet pilot is... I even saw her yesterday in town.....

See guys Borgu is so large that even some people in the state don't even know how large it is...

Ask me anything about kainji dam and Borgu... Am at your service because I stay and live there...

All you said is true, I also live in kainji.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by BankyGee(m): 10:16pm On Jul 26, 2020
yougrichy:
Why?Do you want to break ur neck ni?
Lol... Mad oh! grin
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Awoleesu(m): 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2020
Yakubu Gowon, like any of us has his terrible side...many of which may haunt him till his death. But, I can authoritatively state that about 80-85% of the meaningful money spinning public corporations and infrastructures that today's leaders are milking freely were launched and commissioned by Gowon!
Talk of NNPC, NITEL, Nigeria Airways, Major Medical centres and Teaching Hospitals, Major tertiary institutions and institutes ( with the exception of UI, Yabatech and Kadoly...) etc

The point is, one is left wondering why only one (or two) out of over 15 Heads of Government we've had, had built enduring legacies. What did the rest do?

3 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by justli: 10:20pm On Jul 26, 2020
Pimpmaride:
Nice

I don't understand how water is use to generate electricity

I can't seem to understand at all

Can someone please explain, how can a body of water generate electricity

It's not water that produces the electricity. All the dam does is produce the force that pushes giant coils of wires through a magnetic field.

So, what generates electricity is the magnet. When a coil of wire moved in a magnetic field, electricity is generated, but you need force from the water to do the pushing

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 10:25pm On Jul 26, 2020
Awoleesu:
Yakubu Gowon, like any of us has his terrible side...many of which may haunt him till his death. But, I can authoritatively state that about 80-85% of the meaningful money spinning public corporations and infrastructures that today's leaders are milking freely were launched and commissioned by Gowon!
Talk of NNPC, NITEL, Nigeria Airways, Major Medical centres and Teaching Hospitals, Major tertiary institutions and institutes ( with the exception of UI, Yabatech and Kadoly...) etc

The point is, one is left wondering why only one (or two) out of over 15 Heads of Government we've had, had built enduring legacies. What did the rest do?

85% Gowon? What rubbish.

Dude, 95% of the infrastructure in Nigeria today has nothing to do with Gowon. Go around the country and stop living in the past.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by SenecaTheYonger: 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2020
Rossikk:

Why did it take Independence for us to have a dam? Our First dam and power plant?

What did the British who ruled from 1897 to 1960 do with all the money they made from the exports of our products for 63 years?

Like a black man like you would have done any better if you had the power adn resources to colonize a continent. You can't even develop your own country ruled by your own people, but expect other who conquered you to do it. Victim mentality.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Temidayo9(m): 10:43pm On Jul 26, 2020
OLDESTWARRIBOY:
He site looks abandoned....smh
When other countries are already using other source of clean energy, Nigeria still dey use dam....and the light dem no dey seeam o

Pls is energy from hydro not clean again in 2020?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2020
Every machinery or factories working in this nation are ancient , and that’s what we’ve been working with all this years, damn shame
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by ademijuwonlo(f): 11:01pm On Jul 26, 2020
Educative!
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Mcreloaded(m): 11:09pm On Jul 26, 2020
CARLOSZ:

The Dadin Kowa Dam in Gombe state have been completed since 1984, all civilian governments since Obasanjo, GEJ and now Buhari have allocated billions of naira to install turbines but nothing has been done.

Its hard to believe that a dam completed in 1984 haven't generated at least a megawatt of power in 2020

It is being used by farmers for irrigation purposes.
Last time I was there somewhere on yamaltudeba after maraba zambuk
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Mcreloaded(m): 11:15pm On Jul 26, 2020
The Dadin Kowa Dam in Gombe state have been completed since 1984, all civilian governments since Obasanjo, GEJ and now Buhari have allocated billions of naira to install turbines but nothing has been done.

Its hard to believe that a dam completed in 1984 haven't generated at least a megawatt of power in 2020[/quote]

It is being used by farmers for irrigation purposes.
Last time I was there somewhere on yamaltudeba after maraba zambuk
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 26, 2020
Pimpmaride:
Nice

A dam is a barrier or blockade built across a body of water in the form of a wall. The water builds up behind the wall to a considerable height and it is then released in a controlled manner into a turbine or series of turbines. The kinetic energy of the water falling from height turns the turbine (s), generating mechanical energy. The mechanical energy of the turbines is converted to electrical energy by making the rotating turbine blades to spin a generator. You then install a means of evacuating the energy to where it is used.

2 Likes

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by micfoley: 11:32pm On Jul 26, 2020
smallsmall:

Install wetin?

Turbine Money wey Snake don Swallow since 1973~ grin grin grin

Nigeria started well and eve the Western World was afraid that it is going to be the rallying point for Black Reniassance, world-wide but Evil Nigerians with their foreign collaborators aborted the hte baby and arrested its development.

Nigeria would have become Wakanda
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Ebenezar2O2O: 12:24am On Jul 27, 2020
CARLOSZ:

That's the truth
what if person jump inside the dam probably to swim
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by shantti(m): 12:29am On Jul 27, 2020
who did we offend, even our river is so dirty unlike other dazzling rivers abroad
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by IMO01: 12:33am On Jul 27, 2020
shantti:
who did we offend, even our river is so dirty unlike other dazzling rivers abroad

Lol
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Farki: 12:44am On Jul 27, 2020
Wow I never thought Nigeria could start a large project and finish it within 4 years.

So what happened to Nigeria? Why haven't we made strides like this anymore?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by fayruka(m): 1:14am On Jul 27, 2020
hakeem4:
only 8 out of the 12 are functional.

Maybe we should just tryout nuclear energy as another option for generating electricity
"only 8 out of 12 turbines are installed". Learn to read very well
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by anyilala12335(m): 1:18am On Jul 27, 2020
feedthenation:
Some of the best infrastructures in Nigeria were done under military rule.
Most that stood the test of time. Perhaps, one can say 90% of the infrastructure facilities in the country.
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Mftivi: 1:20am On Jul 27, 2020
Pimpmaride:
Nice

a very simple explanation, a dynamo with a turbine installed on it is responsible for generating the electricity and the water provides the energy that drives the turbine. You know your generator has an electric generator made of coil and magnets then the combustion engine powered by petrol just drives the electric generator to produce electricity but in the case of the dam water falls on the turbines attached to the dynamo to produce electricity. The water has enough pressure and volume to drive very big dynamos.
Imagine pouring water from the top of a tall structure and the water is falling on the blades of a fan that is positioned horizontally, what will happen ? The blades of the fan will start turning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by budaatum: 1:33am On Jul 27, 2020
hakeem4:

Maybe we should just tryout nuclear energy as another option for generating electricity
Lol.

Imagine you're buying a car but know nothing about engines. You'd likely end up with a car without an engine. Same if we don't seriously learn about nuclear energy in our universities before probably getting the French or Chinese to build it for us. With no knowledge to check our car has an engine we'd end buying a car with no engine or something like Ajaokuta Steel that hasn't produced any steel.

If we want nuclear energy, we got to start in our universities.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by MrHighSea: 3:36am On Jul 27, 2020
salamudeen:

Peace is guaranteed

I'm visiting that dam within the year. Mind if i get in touch when ready?
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Jandedmart: 3:46am On Jul 27, 2020
nice
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by ehinmowo: 4:23am On Jul 27, 2020
PureGoldh:
Nice one

Local man just dey wonder why we can't boast of 24hrs power supply

The first electricity turbine was produced in 1888. 2020, somewhere in Africa 200m people are using 2500MW of power. Where and airport in Japan uses 4000MW.

1 Like

Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by Mutaultope(m): 4:32am On Jul 27, 2020
NA TIGBA WO ?
The only difference is the colours of the pictures
we have been getting the same megawatts for 50+ years now .
and they have squandered so much on it oooooo
Re: The Kainji Dam In Pictures by legionISproteus: 4:45am On Jul 27, 2020
Rossikk:

I thought you were making sense with your questions but SenecaTheYonger has responded adequately. You still think like the victim. So you wanted the colonialists to build Kainji dam? How old are you (seriously)? They will only build structures that achieve their aim which is exploitation of natural resources in their colonies e.g. the Enugu-Port Harcourt railway and the ports at Port Harcourt where built to facilitate export of coal to ____? (Fill in the blank space)

So you see, unless it would really benefit their agenda, you can forget about colonialists building anything for you. SenecaTheYonger asked the proper question "How come we couldn’t build this before white people came?" and I would make reference to a video I saw few days ago. THERE IS SOMETHING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG WITH THE BLACK MAN, I DON'T MIND IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT DIFFERENTLY BUT LOOK AT IT.... EVEN THE GREAT ACHIEVEMENTS BLACK PEOPLE ARE MAKING TODAY THEY DID IT WITH THE HELP OF WHITE PEOPLE. WHEN THEY ALL BY THEMSELVES IN AFRICA, THEY COULDN'T BUILD "NOTHING" Now think of ocean going vehicles, aeroplanes, even mechanised agriculture and you will get the picture. (I know why I asked for your age earlier)

There are a few nairalanders that share a similar view e.g. look at the signature of "alphanomega" just to mention a few.

At least, you stated that 95% of infrastructure today have nothing to do with Gowon which I should commend you on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics) / Banana Island In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.