Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,630 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin (3084 Views)

NNPC Raises Import As Kaduna, P'harcourt Refineries Remain Shut / North Will Never Discover Oil In Chad Basin – Shehu Sani / Ministerial List: Seun Kuti Says He Has Lost Hope On Buhari Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Abagworo(m): 1:35am On Feb 08, 2011
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has expressed optimism that oil would be found in the Chad Basin in view of assurance by an internationally acclaimed geoscientist, Professor Deborah Ajakaiye.

The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs of NNPC, Dr. Levi Ajuonuma, said this at the weekend in Lagos during NAPIMS-NNPC media relations dinner. He said the Ajakaiye assured on oil find in the basin. Besides, Ajuonuma said the Chinese firms that found oil in Niger and Chad are currently partnering Nigeria the current renewed exploration in the basin. The current search, he said, is peculiar because it is being done with different and more sophisticated equipment and technology, which differ greatly from what obtained in the past. "Activities have resumed in the pursuit for additional oil and gas reserves in the Chad area.

Efforts are also ongoing to open up other prospects in Chad and the frontier basins in line with Federal Government’s aspirations," the Group General Manager of NAPIMS, M.A Fiddi added. The NNPC spokesman also spoke glowingly about the economy this year. He said: "This is a year of promises. With the way oil prices are going, it definitely going to be an exciting for Nigeria and Nigerians.

What is going in the Middle East, the protests in Egypt, will affect oil price, which back home, will result in revenue increase from oil. On the refineries, Ajuonuma said it was cheery news that for the first time in several years, the three refineries in Port Harcourt, Kaduna and Warri, are working. He said if the pipelines are not vandalised, the NNPC would continue to ramp up production to at least 90 per cent of the refineries’ installed capacity. The refineries have combined total capacity to refine 445 ,000 per day.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by aljharem(m): 1:38am On Feb 08, 2011
you see

mend and southerners can go to hell for all we care

we might have the black gold wink grin grin
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Abagworo(m): 1:39am On Feb 08, 2011
http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/business/energy/27168.html

The government, he said, has  assured that the pipelines would be protected especially as it advances  with its amnesty programme. He, however, noted that even if the refineries are working at 100  percent installed capacities, the country would still be importing refined  petroleum products because of the population, which increases by the  day. He also cited the model partnership, which the government entered with the Chinese companies in construction of Greenfield refineries in some  states of the federation. He noted that when the Greenfield refineries  come on stream, Nigeria would change form its current state of a net  importer of fuel to a net exporter of fuel. Besides, he said the model is  beneficial because the Chinese firms would be bringing their funds to  invest in the projects, which would create substantial employment  opportunities for Nigerians. In view of the hope raised by NNPC in the basin, the Federal  Government is set to approve the execution of a comprehensive  hydrocarbon mapping of Nigeria to activate the efficient search for oil  and gas across the inland sedimentary basins. In the last six months, the NNPC in line with Mr. President’s aspiration of achieving sustainable increase of the nation’s crude oil reserve has  intensified the search for commercial crude oil in the Chad Basin which  forms part of what is known as the Nigerian Frontier Inland Sedimentary  Basins (NFISB). The NFISB zone also consists of the Anambra, Bida,  Dahomey, Gongola/Yola and Sokoto basins alongside the Middle/Lower  Benue Trough. Ajuonuma had earlier last week said: "I want to tell you that the drive by the current NNPC management under the watch of the Group Managing  Director, Mr. Austen Oniwon, an engineer, to increase the nation’s crude  oil reserves is in top gear and we have the complete support of Mr.  President and the Honourable Minister of Petroleum Resources to go full throttle. The idea is to look beyond the prolific Niger Delta Basin
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by asha80(m): 1:46am On Feb 08, 2011
please let them find oil there so that everyone will know the 'true state of things' in nigeria
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Obiagu1(m): 2:58am On Feb 08, 2011
YES!

When do I have to obtain a visa to visit Kano? I'll be so happy.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:02am On Feb 08, 2011
Nothing is certain.

This is false hope, probably.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by seanet02: 3:58am On Feb 08, 2011
Okay
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Nobody: 5:05am On Feb 08, 2011
Alj harem, don't rush to make any plans yet oh. As far as I can remember they've been looking for signs of oil there since Abacha.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by ekubear1: 5:18am On Feb 08, 2011
It seems plausible that they'd find it. After all, the Chad side has oil, doesn't it?

I suspect that Africa in general hasn't been thoroughly explored enough for natural resources. . . there is probably a lot still undiscovered.

And if they strike oil, perhaps we can then partition the country!
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by 13volts(m): 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2011
eku_bear:

It seems plausible that they'd find it. After all, the Chad side has oil, doesn't it?

I suspect that Africa in general hasn't been thoroughly explored enough for natural resources. . . there is probably a lot still undiscovered.

And if they strike oil, perhaps we can then partition the country!

oil or no oil no partition Nigeria is not Sudan
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by 77ken: 12:55pm On Feb 08, 2011
Dear God let the crude oil find in the chad basin be larger than anything seen so far in Africa.
Then may be there will be peace in this land of thieves corrupt and inept leaders.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by otokx(m): 1:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
We have been hearing this for so long a time.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by MMM2(m): 2:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
na 2day
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by texazzpete(m): 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2011
May God save us from Educated illiterates in Nigeria!! How can a geoscientist 'assure' you of finding oil thousands of feet below the earth? No geoscientist will ever ASSURE you of that, and this with no obvious seismic shows!
See the kind of dolts we have running NNPC.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 08, 2011
cool I want them to discover oil so that these mallams will leave for Good , their brother Gadarffi can now welcome them angry
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by ezme(m): 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2011
I pray it turns out true and you would see our northern brothers neighbours clamouring for resource control and true Federalism.  grin grin grin
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 08, 2011
cheesy grin cheesy grin
for how long! Let them start the exploitation OR are they waiting for the down there to finish and then another MILITANT cheesy in the north(dis time around na desert style no be marine again)
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by aljharem(m): 10:07pm On Feb 08, 2011
texazzpete:

May God save us from Educated illiterates in Nigeria!! How can a geoscientist 'assure' you of finding oil thousands of feet below the earth? No geoscientist will ever ASSURE you of that, and this with no obvious seismic shows!
what are you talking about

oil is found were dead organism have been buried for years and the compression by layers of sand or silt caused the the formation of oil

this layer can be thousands of feet below the earth surface depending how lake chad has been in existance undecided
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by dapkin(m): 4:46am On Feb 09, 2011
3D seismics will definitely produce a better subsurface feature of interest. The irony so far is the fact that the rock underlying the basin is a volcanic rock which might have "heated" the hydrocarbon making it "overcooked". I really implore them not to waste money because i learnt that over 20 exploratory wells have been drilled so far with "gas shows" only.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by daddee: 7:01am On Feb 09, 2011
texazzpete:

I don't seem to understand your post. Are you implying that oil is found in thousands of feet above the earth?
*His 'assurance' was probably based on exploration results which he wouldn't have done without seismic.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by udezue(m): 7:53am On Feb 09, 2011
I hope this happens soon so they carry their lazy unproductive selves go back to their caves. Arewa Republic
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by 2makesense: 8:31am On Feb 09, 2011
I hope this happens soon so they carry their lazy unproductive selves go back to their caves. Arewa Republic
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
very funny!
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by Akbar10: 11:26am On Feb 09, 2011
it really would be wonderful to find oil in the Chad basin.
the major reason Nigeria has not been able to practise true federalism is that all eyes are on the resources wt fast cash found in d south-south-oil

when oil is found in the North too we can now begin to talk of federalism, thats if it doesnt make our guys up there develop new standards of siphoning the stuff
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by snakova(m): 8:25am On Feb 13, 2011
No blood 4 oil. All dese jerk offs tinkin dey kno som'in. Oil is found after geophysical n seismic exploration n makin a LUCKY dig. 4 a geophysicist 2 make dat claim, it shd b afta studyin d data. Due 2 d cost involvd in digging, u nd 2 hope 1 of ur earliest trap digs produces a well or else u'd av despairin explorers on ur hand. Or mayb dey r just holdin out 4 dat n.delta oil 2 drain. I blieve oil wud b found so dat al dose c suckers frm d south go suck it. Jerks
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2011
snakova:

No blood 4 oil. All dese jerk offs tinkin dey kno som'in. Oil is found after geophysical n seismic exploration n makin a LUCKY dig. 4 a geophysicist 2 make dat claim, it shd b afta studyin d data. Due 2 d cost involvd in digging, u nd 2 hope 1 of your earliest trap digs produces a well or else u'd av despairin explorers on your hand. Or mayb dey r just holdin out 4 dat n.delta oil 2 drain. I blieve oil wud b found so dat al dose c suckers frm d south go suck it. Jerks

WTF is this nonsense? Clearly, the English language eludes you.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by texazzpete(m): 1:22pm On Feb 13, 2011
daddee:

I don't seem to understand your post. Are you implying that oil is found in thousands of feet above the earth?
*His 'assurance' was probably based on exploration results which he wouldn't have done without seismic.

The fact that i put the word 'assure' in inverted commas didn't tell you that that word was the reason for my objection?
What school did you go to again?

Read the bloody article again, if they had found a significant show on seismic, would they have been talking of renewed exploration with more sophisticated equipment?
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by texazzpete(m): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
alj harem:

what are you talking about

oil is found were dead organism have been buried for years and the compression by layers of sand or silt caused the the formation of oil

this layer can be thousands of feet below the earth surface depending how lake chad has been in existance undecided

Please stick to talking about things you know best (like fulani herdsmen and cows) and leave more intelligent discourse to the more learned.
Also see my reply to the last guy.

Just FYI, until you've seen overwhelming evidence on seismic or drilled and discovered the oil, you cannot 'assure' on oil. My mention of 'thousands of feet' was just to show how it isn't a precise science. Please consult any honest geologist.
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by MeAboki(m): 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2011
udezue:

Oh no!!! they shouldn't start exploring for anything, at least not yet. shocked shocked shocked shocked

In fact they should wait until we finish all the oil in the south (under One Nigeria) after which we can then agree to partition, so that the new state of Arewa Republic can keep and enjoy its own oil all by itself.

Now, wouldn't that be a lovely way to beat some greedy fools at their own game? Nice wouldn't it grin grin grin
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by LoveKing(m): 5:56pm On Feb 13, 2011
I dont give a fvck about 3d seismics or what you call it. Theres sign of oil, so let some dude instigate the north to break away for good! angry
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by EzeUche2(m): 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2011
I hope they find oil in that region. That would be a dream come true for many Nigerians, both from the North and South. Let us not forget this is found in Kanuriland and they may tell the Hausa that it is their oil. grin
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by aljharem(m): 6:05pm On Feb 13, 2011
Me_Aboki:

Oh no!!! they shouldn't start exploring for anything, at least not yet. shocked shocked shocked shocked

In fact they should wait until we finish all the oil in the south (under One Nigeria) after which we can then agree to partition, so that the new state of Arewa Republic can keep and enjoy its own oil all by itself.

Now, wouldn't that be a lovely way to beat some greedy fools at their own game? Nice wouldn't it grin grin grin

you could not have said it better cool

EzeUche_:

I hope they find oil in that region. That would be a dream come true for many Nigerians, both from the North and South. Let us not forget this is found in Kanuriland and they may tell the Hausa that it is their oil. grin

grin grin do you think we are like southerners alway complaining with oil is in there land undecided
Re: Nnpc Raises Hope On Oil In Chad Basin by ekubear1: 9:21pm On Feb 13, 2011
^--- If you find 100s of billions of barrels of oil in Kanuriland, the next day I'm sure you guys will declare a Kanuri Republic grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Minister In N2.2b Bribery Scandal / Pictures Of Bomb Blast At Inec Office Suleja. / Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.