Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,767 members, 7,813,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply (3083 Views)

Pictures: Dangote Visits Lagos Governor Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply / Akwa Ibom: Akpabio Vs G22 PDP The Ultimate Loser / Nddc Appointment Sparks Row In Akwa Ibom Akpabio Under Pressure- The Ink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by jmaine: 9:16pm On May 30, 2011
Audacious i must say, but the completed Ibom power plant project have been lying fallow for a while . . .Guess it's action time for Governor Akpabio to usher in an era of economic well being for the people of Akwa Ibom and it's environs cos they can't totally consume what they will generate . .

Ndito Ibibio Isongo . .  Annang mma  wink wink  . . .

The Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Godswill Akpabio, has assured Akwa Ibom State citizens of uninterrupted power supply if the Federal Government gives the state the licence to generate and distribute electricity.

Akpabio, who said this in Uyo on Sunday during his inauguration, stated that the gas plant at Esit Eket in Ukwo would generate the needed power for the state to run its economy, maintaining that any efforts at industrialisation without adequate power supply would not yield results.

He said his second term in office would ensure completion of all ongoing projects and new ones.

Akpabio said, “Today, we stand on our historical bridge, which connects the past with the future. Nothing, no amount of blackmail, propaganda can divide us. With the last victory at polls we have buried ethnicity and hatred forever.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110530639437
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Waynita(f): 10:12pm On May 30, 2011
This is awesome, he is among the few performing PDP governors. kiss kiss
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Geniro: 10:14pm On May 30, 2011
This power plant is being long overdue, Gov Akpabio please bring it on. grin grin grin . Hope it won't be one of those shifted launch dates again undecided
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by EkoIle1: 10:34pm On May 30, 2011
Akpabio’s Scorecard; A Colossal Disappointment

POWER SECTOR;

With over 24 billion naira of tax payers money   already spent on IBOM POWER PLANT, it appears the IBOM POWER PLANT may end up like AJAOKUTA STEEL (GOD FORBID) which has allegedly been used as a conduit for siphoning money.

AKPABIO'S spin doctors are always quick to tell us that GAS is now the problem, and it's like AKPABIO'S 'MAGIC  ' has failed to work for 4 years.The bottom line is, the IPP has FAILED to produced the 24 hour uninterrupted power supply as promised by AKPABIO.
How can people believe that this present administration is serious about the power issue when streetlights along ABAK ROAD, UYO are still powered by generators in this jet age? The environmental and over head cost implications will be a topic for another day.

IBOM TROPICANA AND ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE;

This  misplaced priority is suppose to be the FLAGSHIP of this present administration and  was allegedly conceived in the image of SUN CITY of SOUTH AFRICA and  the famous DYSNEY LAND in Orlando, Florida, USA.While one is of the view that an entertainment centre can boost  the tourism potentials of the state,it is totally absurd that AKPABIO awarded the contract to SILVERBIRD (the contractor) for 33 billion naira of tax payers money. SILVERBIRD has built similiar project in LAGOS and ABUJA with its own FUND. Even the  SUN CITY RESORT  and DISNEYLAND , ANIEKAN UMANAH  mentioned in the write up  are not owned by STATE GOVERNMENTS.ANIEKAN UMANAH failed to mention that the respective  government in the SOUTH AFRICA and FLORIDA provided the enabling environment (security, power, favorably government policies) for private investors  to initiate and operate such ventures.

The resources that were channeled to TROPICANA should have been used on other projects like the AMAKPE REFINERY aPublic-Private Partnership project (PPP) that has been ignored by AKPABIO for reasons best known to him. I think it is pertinent to elucidate here that AKPABIO should borrow a clue from GOVERNOR FASHOLA who has created the enabling environment for PPPs to succeed in LAGOS STATE. Example includes, the EKO ATLANTIC CITY, THE BUS RAPID TRANSIT (BRT) SYSTEM, THE LEKKI-EPE EXPRESS WAY ,THE ISOLO MORTUARY SERVICES,THE WASTE TO WEALTH  PROJECT,and the LAGOS RAIL PROJECT. LAGOS STATE never spent a penny on SILVERBIRD GALLERIA (in Lagos)  which AKPABIO now considers  his FLAGSHIP in AKWA IBOM.It is like AKPABIO has  this  propensity  to only  award contracts ,instead of initiating friendly PPPs  that will save  AKWA IBOM a lot of money.

AMAKPE REFINERY that would have been used as CARROT for attracting the needed investors has been thrown to the dogs. How can we as a people ignore such a project that could create 20,000 direct and indirect jobs for the teeming youths roaming the streets of UYO? I will not be surprised tomorrow if AKPABIO says he wants to build a state owned REFINERY with tax payers’ money because he prefers to award contracts (perhaps for the ‘EGUNJE’ involve), and cognizance should be taken of the fact that public institutions have never been successfully managed in this country .And of course, the charlatans and sycophants will be hailing him without knowing their future is being heavily mortgaged.

Read the rest here>>>>>

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6788:akpabios-scorecard-a-colossal-disappointment&catid=25:politics&Itemid=92
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 30, 2011
^^^
nice one.i like to hear constructive criticism.btw, i'm from akwa ibom b4 sum ppl call me a tribalist.that refinery and alscon are the two industries that will definitely take akwa ibom economy to a whole new level
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by jmaine: 12:27am On May 31, 2011
careytommy:

^^^
nice one.i like to hear constructive criticism.btw, i'm from akwa ibom b4 sum ppl call me a tribalist.that refinery and alscon are the two industries that will definitely take akwa ibom economy to a whole new level

I like your response . . .The fact that people need to recognize that having contrary opinion in querying whatever state governor or leader based on what you feel should be improved and implemented should not be regarded as hating provided you are not been sentimental in your approach to issues raised . . That trait my friend has been seriously lacking with some nairaland friends . .you oppose a thread with a counter and productive criticisms and they label you an enemy of a tribe and a hate . . .So distressing when i see such. .

Now back to the thread ,for every good side of a story , there is always a bad side where one can improve on . . .An issue like the Lekki - Epe road the article writer quoted has been recognized to be a huge charade to line the pockets of a few individuals while the masses supposed to be beneficiary of the road would be made to suffer severe hardship under the irresponsible toll the financiers of that project imposed . . . Thank God , an election year coupled with the rigorous protest of the Lekki axis inhabitants forced the Lagos state Government to put a halt to that injustice . . .

I made mention that the Ibom power plant have being an on and off story and lying fallow, where distribution of the excess power into the National grid and terms of agreement with the PHCN was frequently being mentioned as one of the few frictions that militated against the take off of the Ibom power plant . .if his audacious declaration be followed with action this time . .then it is bound to greatly improve the life of the people . . . Ensuring that the Ibom power plant powers off at full blast, is the much  needed platform that will act as a strong pivot to other developmental projects in the future
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by EkoIle1: 6:23am On May 31, 2011
careytommy:

^^^

Why bother me with your constructive criticism crap? Posting a news article written by other people and in fact an indigent of Akwa Ibom = Eko Ile criticizing? Trust me, I know how to stand by and defend my assertions.

Direct your thoughts and questions to the writer.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by otokx(m): 1:54pm On May 31, 2011
Talk is cheap
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by NuttyChoky(m): 2:16pm On May 31, 2011
The IPP at Ibom currently evacuates 80MW out of its installed capacity of 191MW. 56 of this goes to Uyo while the rest goes to other states through the national grid. The idle capacity of 111MW is as a result of the limitation of the transmission lines between Eket and Uyo which is the property of the Federal Government. Until the FG inproves transmission capacity in line with the power sector roadmap, it is no use for us to keep building IPP's as this can be likened to a farmer with no access roads to his farm and whose produce thereby gets rotten at the farm for lack of transportation.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by jmaine: 2:23pm On May 31, 2011
otokx:

Talk is cheap

Hopefully this time, it will be expensive and real cheesy cheesy
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by babyme1(f): 2:46pm On May 31, 2011
Ado ok undecided
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by jmaine: 2:54pm On May 31, 2011
baby.me:

Ado ok undecided

Odo ata eti nkpo mbuk wink wink
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by 1025: 3:57pm On May 31, 2011
MODERATOR SIR,
PLEASE CREATE A SECTION ON THIS NAIRALAND THAT WILL BE CALLED POWER SECTOR.
THE ISSUE OF ELECTRICITY AS IT CONCERNS THE NIGERIAN SITUATIONS IS WORTH A SECTION PLEASE.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Debroslink: 4:22pm On May 31, 2011
SINCERELY SPEAKING, ELECTRICITY IN IBESIKPO-ASUTAN AREA OF AKWA-IBOM HAS BEEN WORTH WHILE PRIOR TO THE ELECTIONS.I'M A SERVING CORP MEMBER ND CAN ATTEST TO THIS.

HOWEVER, THERE HAS BEEN NO POWER SUPPLY IN MY DOMAIN FOR D PAST ONE MONTH. GOV. AKPABIO SHOULD PLZ FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE LOOK INTO THIS.

AND CONCERNING THE POWER PLANT, I BELIEVE D GOVERNOR WILL KEEP TO HIS PROMISE. D GOVERNOR IS TRUELY PERFORMING IN MANY AREAS SUCH AS GOOD ROADS, STREET LIGHTS, FREE EDUCATION, E.T.C, kiss kiss kiss cheesy wink wink wink
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 31, 2011
Wait . . . so they never had license to generate and distribute power before?
Heavens help Nigeria.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by member479760: 5:14pm On May 31, 2011
Promises!!!
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by passionup: 10:34pm On May 31, 2011
The IPP at Ibom currently evacuates 80MW out of its installed capacity of 191MW. 56 of this goes to Uyo while the rest goes to other states through the national grid. The idle capacity of 111MW is as a result of the limitation of the transmission lines between Eket and Uyo which is the property of the Federal Government. Until the FG inproves transmission capacity in line with the power sector roadmap, it is no use for us to keep building IPP's as this can be likened to a farmer with no access roads to his farm and whose produce thereby gets rotten at the farm for lack of transportation.
Talk is cheap

@Nutty choky,
People like you give blind support to Akpabio, are u eating from his pot?Every sane person knows that ibom power plant isnt working and hasnt delivered 1 mega watt of power since Nsima akpabio was used as a conduit pipe to siphon money for Akpabio.Can u tell me whether u are working there to know how the Power plant is working?Can u elucidate on your assertion that the power plant has started work?where in Akwa Ibom today have light?where i live, i havent seen light in my part of Uyo for over 2months.if i see light,it might be 3 hrs in 24 hrs.Is that what over 24billion was spent to achieve?Rouges will meet their waterloo someday.If u are a paid agent of Godswill ,say so.Dont come here and misinform Nigerians.There isnt light in Akwa Ibom and the TRANSMISSION LINE built between Ikot Abasi and Uyo isnt ready and that is even if it is being built or we are being taken for a ride by Akpabio spin doctors and Paid agents, That project is a conduit pipe for stealing
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by chelseabmw(m): 10:37pm On May 31, 2011
Next: Edo
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by BabaTony: 9:04am On Jun 01, 2011
It is public knowledge that some states in Nigeria have attempted to solve this problem, some of the states are Akwa ibom, Rivers, and i think lagos, i cant remember others, all have met a very big brick wall- the PHCN. For those who don't know, Power has three main components (Generation, Transmission and Distribution), the last two are still solely controlled by the big and failed PHCN, and untill we unbundle PHCN we CANNOT achieve power in Nigeria! let me tell you guys a short story, me and my collegues undertook a trip to a gas plant owned by a Multinational Company in the Niger Delta, the operations manager there told us that as part of their coperate social responsibility they provide electricity to the nearby communities, but we were all shocked to our bones when he told us that they pay PHCN some fees for giving the community electricity because PHCN is the only authorised body by law to distribute electricity in Nigeria, can you beleive that the shameless PHCN installed meters in every house and were calculating their service charge for every house for the multinational company to pay. So that is how bad the situation is. I know Akpabio's promise of uninterrupted power supply is based on the state capacity to generate power and the expectation that they will succeed in forming a distribution company alonside Rivers, Bayelsa and Cross River to distribute whatever power the plant generates. I know he can do it.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Debroslink: 10:35am On Jun 01, 2011
There has been no light for close to 2 months in Ibesikpo(the town dat links Uyo stste capital and Eket the oil city), and someone is preaching Ibom power plant, ABEGI!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2011
Another impressive Governor.

I am sure he would succeeds grin

Best of luck to him!
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2011
Who are these evil men that sit upon the progress of that country. May they all fall from their seats in Jesus name!
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by paddymo(m): 7:29pm On Jun 01, 2011
critic will die,  Akpabio is performing simple,  lets talk wat we see and leave critic or ethnicity. every body in Akwa Ibom State is benefiting in one way or the other from his administration and you are here criticizing the IPP, 

your business is not the  amount used for the contract,  thinK and pray it is actualize so that it will add more value to Akwa Ibom Economy because with a constant power supply, operations will be less and it will also bring investors to the state.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by akpanbaba: 5:04pm On Jun 02, 2011
Uninterrupted power Supply my foot.Will that atone for the blood of people that were killed by this desperate governor in the last four years.Will they (AKWAIBOMITES)be able to see the kidnappers who are on the payroll of the governors with uninterrupted power supply?.I pray the unterrupted power supply will reduce killings in the church and also bring all the solen money of the state to light.No uninterrupted power supply will cleanse the blood of the people killed in the state by this pharoah.
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by AMADU77: 7:41pm On Jun 02, 2011
in his house
Re: Akwa-Ibom: Akpabio Promises Uninterrupted Power Supply by hercules07: 8:18pm On Jun 02, 2011
I tire for this Akpabio guy o, he is talking of power when people are being kidnapped left right and center, you guys will not believe that a friend was kidnapped on Sunday and has not been released in Uyo, this madness started during his time and he has done nothing about it.

(1) (Reply)

Is Goodluck Jonathan Any Better Than Sabo Bakin Zuwo / Some Grim Ebola Pictures From Liberia! / I'll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri Maximum Prisons - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.