Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,439 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi (783 Views)

FG Signs Mou On 1,000MW Power Plant In Katsina / FG Signs $1bn Mou On 1,000MW Plant / Mumu Nigerians - Power Generation: Jonathan Projects 20,000mw By 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 08, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/power-jonathan-can-achieve-20000mw-in-4-years-amaechi/

Power: Jonathan can achieve 20,000Mw in 4 years; Amaechi

BY DANIEL IDONOR
ABUJA — GOVERNOR Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers State is optimistic that President Goodluck Jonathan’s radical approach to tackle the issue of power was capable of achieving at least 20,000Mw in the next four years.

Although it may not be possible to transform all sectors of the nation’s economy within the period, the governor said the stability that would be achieved in the power sector would lead to the creation of a new middle class rather than the present situation of the existence of just the poor and rich classes only.

Speaking to newsmen in Istanbul, Turkey, where he participated in an investment forum, Governor Amaechi observed that though the additional four years which President Goodluck Jonathan hoped to have in office might not be enough to move it to the development level of Turkey, it would, however, be enough to give the country a giant leap.

He stated that “it won’t be that easy but he would have made some level of improvement but it won’t be at the level that Turkey has got to because it took it 40-50 years to get here.

“What I think he would achieve at the level comparable to Turkey is power. We can get to 20, 000Mw of power if the president goes ahead with what he is doing now, if he puts his act together, we could get there.

“Once you get power, then you could get industrial development. We may not be at the level of creating the middle level manpower but, at least, we would have started developing it and that will create a three-tier economic development that will reach the middle income earners and then, the poor.”

According to Amaechi “what you have now is that you are either a rich man or a poor man in Nigeria. You are aware that they say that 70% of Nigerians are poor. I think if you are not careful, it may be more than 70% of Nigerians that are poor.

So, if we do the industrial development that comes with power, the poverty rate will begin to reduce.”

He disclosed that his visit to Turkey was to ensure that Rivers State identified Turkish contractors who could provide quality construction at cheaper cost in the state, saying “I think you can get quality construction from here but at a cheaper cost.

“I think that the cost from contractors in the western countries, especially for those of us in the Niger Delta, is a bit exorbitant. So, you may get the same quality of construction if not better at cheaper cost.

“I have seen some people who will be invited to Rivers State to come and explore what the conditions and situation are in Rivers State, so that we can do business.”

Governor Amaechi specifically said “there is road that we want to do; I’m not sure it is up to 15 kilometres and the contractor is saying N56billion. That is quite expensive may be because of the monopoly of knowledge or expertise. The more they get into Rivers State, the better for us so that we can see competition.”

The governor further stressed the need for stability in government, noting that frequent changes in administration lead to discontinuity in policies which he said was inimical to development.

“Stability is essential. Every time, it appears that people are not sure of government. When a governor finishes his tenure, the new man coming in will come with new programme, jettisons agreements; the judicial process must be such that if a government breaks an agreement, they can go to court and recover their money. If you don’t have that in place too bad,” he declared.

Amaechi is a smart man and a (some would say) sidelined PDP member, but his mandate is (as at now) only to the good people of Rivers State. Both being PDP members he has to openly support GEJ but I know the two usually don't see eye to eye, even at that he still chose his words carefully with all those "if" (unlike the Akalas of this country). He has learned what he wants from Turkey and no Rivers person has a reason to doubt he will apply it to his state NOT Nigeria (that is Jonathan's job). If Amaechi were president i'd expect even more than promised but sadly he is not.

If you believe Jonathan has given you enough proof to show he can do the work (20,000MW in 4 years) then you can remove those red "if"s. But then it would no longer be Amaechi's statement and you would be on your own in that risk.

Be smart.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 6:01am On Feb 08, 2011
Stromae:

If you believe Jonathan has given you enough[b] proof to show he can do the work (20,000MW in 4 years) then you can remove those red "if"[/b]s. But then it would no longer be Amaechi's statement and you would be on your own in that risk.

Be smart.

lol
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Johndoe100(m): 6:09am On Feb 08, 2011
There is no doubt that GEJ will deliver on his promises. Already those of us actually in Nigeria have seen the improvement in power supply and stability.

Much more needs to be done, but GEJ has started the upswing and he will see it through.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by otokx(m): 6:09am On Feb 08, 2011
Amaechi should be informed that the rains have started and none of his roads has been completed.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 08, 2011
@ Otokx
What can be done?

@ johndoe200
I have said my own.

Amaechi has said his own.

It is up to you what you do with the information.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Nobody: 6:22am On Feb 08, 2011
otokx:

Amaechi should be informed that the rains have started and none of his roads has been completed.
Don't mind him.Instead of him to face his own responsiblities,he's busy campaigning for a loser.ode
Johndoe100:

There is no doubt that GEJ will deliver on his promises.[s] Already those of us actually in Nigeria have seen the improvement in power supply and stability.
[/s]

Much more needs to be done, but GEJ has started the upswing and he will see it through.
Where is the light cuz my folks in Lagos still complain of blackout ?
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by phantom(m): 6:24am On Feb 08, 2011
@otokx pls can you reliably inform this house when the dry season begins and ends in rivers?
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by otokx(m): 6:28am On Feb 08, 2011
Even in Amaechi local government - no light, no road, no water.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by otokx(m): 6:32am On Feb 08, 2011
for the past 5 years, February was a part of the dry season which starts in mid November and ends mid March. This year seems to be different
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by otokx(m): 6:36am On Feb 08, 2011
The road contractors are slow - they do not work all night and sundays;
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by phantom(m): 6:40am On Feb 08, 2011
have you not witnessed rain fall on december 25 for two consecutive years?
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Johndoe100(m): 6:46am On Feb 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Don't mind him.Instead of him to face his own responsiblities,he's busy campaigning for a loser.odeWhere is the light cuz my folks in Lagos still complain of blackout ?

As I said, supply and stability have improved. Maybe your folks expect light 24/7. Eventually we will have that, but the situation is improving.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by phantom(m): 6:47am On Feb 08, 2011
so going by your arguement 3 months is more than enough time to complete roads in the state?lol, for Gods sake dont criticise with sentiments.it makes you sound petty, and trust me,you r better than that.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 6:49am On Feb 08, 2011
^^^ why again does he have only 3 months to complete the roads?  undecided undecided Hasn't he been in office since 2007?
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Chyz2: 6:55am On Feb 08, 2011
I have always liked Amaechi's approach when it comes to politics.He is always careful of what he says. Amaechi says GJ is "capable of" and not "He will achieve" 20,000mv in 4 years. To add to that he indirectly is giving pokes at the federal government in helping to change plans that would help the power generation and which would enhance other industries.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by phantom(m): 7:01am On Feb 08, 2011
kobo, maybe finding out the ROADS in question may be a great place for you to start dont you think?
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On Feb 08, 2011
^^^^ Again . . .

Kobojunkie:

^^^ why again does he have only 3 months to the complete roads?  undecided undecided Hasn't he been in office since 2007?

So far, NO PARTICULAR ROADS have been mentioned in this discussion. If YOU are referring to a particular road, you might want to make that known since the person(s) you are debating do not seem to have mind reading abilities.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 08, 2011
Otokx

Today i saw the airforce road, and as far as i can see, they have completed the underground drainage. Work was on going on the road surface as well they seem to have put a very thick layer of gravel or something because the new road level is about .6 metres higher than the old road.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by otokx(m): 1:12pm On Feb 08, 2011
@Stromae

The airforce road is one of those termed completed by Peter Odili so what are you talking about?

Try visiting the Rumuokuta - Choba road or the Tam David West Boulevard with the over head bridge across the east west road at obiri ikwerre. Also try for good measure the Uniport - Aluu - Airport road. Also try Ada George road too.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by seanet02: 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2011
Look at this GEJ boy boys.
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Muza(m): 1:57pm On Feb 08, 2011
proliferation of sycophants,its like therez a competition between these politicians to see who is the greater sycophant
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by Mobinga: 2:14pm On Feb 08, 2011
otokx:

Even in Amaechi local government - no light, no road, no water.
You must be living in the creeks of Abonnema to say that!! Such Blasphemy
Re: Power: Jonathan Can Achieve 20,000mw In 4 Years Amaechi by 1025: 8:20pm On Feb 08, 2011
yea amaechi is right. the key word there is CAN. jonathan CAN achieve 20,000mw in 4yrs and i CAN achieve 80,000mw in 2yrs.
what if Buhari or anyother presidential candidate CAN achieve 100,000mw or more?

(1) (Reply)

Know-how For Cosmetics/household/industrial Cleaning & Maintainance Products. / Duvets,bedsheets,curtains, At Unbelievable Prices. / Google Plus Launches Pages For Companies/organisations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.