Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,978 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Bipolar Disorder? (330 Views)

What Is Bipolar Disorder? Many Talented People Suffer From It / I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Bipolar Disorder? by prof2007: 5:02am On Jul 23, 2020
This is an original article, drawn from various sources on the Internet...

A. INTRODUCTION
Kanye Omari West is a popular American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, composer, and fashion designer, with net worth of $1.3 billion. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2016, and recently manifested symptoms of a bipolar episode. Overall, an estimated 4.4% (i.e. 9.2 million) of U.S. adults experience bipolar disorder at some time in their lives. So, what exactly is bipolar disorder, how is it treated and how do I know if I have it?

B. WHAT IS BIPOLAR DISORDER?
Bipolar disorder (sometimes referred to as manic-depressive disorder) is a mental health condition that causes extreme shifts in mood and energy level. While every human being experiences some psychological ups and down from time to time, those suffering from bipolar disorder experience severe shifts in mood and behavior that can seriously impact their lives.

A person with bipolar disorder may experience periods of extremely elevated or highly irritable moods, called manic episodes. They may also experience periods of depression, called depressive episodes. Both the manic and depressive periods can be brief (from just a few hours to a few days), or much longer (lasting up to several weeks or even months).

C.TYPES OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
According to the American Psychiatric Association, these are the 4 major categories of bipolar disorder: bipolar I disorder, bipolar II disorder, cyclothymic disorder, and bipolar disorder due to other medical or substance abuse disorder. Each type is identified by the pattern of manic and depressive episodes. Best treatment for the sufferer depends on diagnosed type of bipolar disorder.

1. BIPOLAR I DISORDER
Manic episodes will last at least 7 days plus psychotic (disconnection from reality) symptoms, or manic symptoms are severe enough to require immediate hospitalization (to prevent harm to oneself or others). Depressive episodes, typically lasting at least 2 weeks, also often occur. A person may have manic episodes with some depressive features or depressive episodes with some manic features.

2. BIPOLAR II DISORDER
Mania is not involved, but there are recurring episodes of major depression and hypomania (milder form of mania). For bipolar II disorder diagnosis, you must have experienced at least one hypomanic episode plus one major depressive episode in your lifetime.

In bipolar I disorder one or more major depressive episodes usually occur but not compulsorily; Bipolar II disorder compulsorily involves one or more major depressive episodes. Common symptoms in a major depressive episode include:
-- Insomnia (difficulty falling / staying asleep) or hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness).
-- Unexplained or uncontrollable crying.
-- Severe fatigue.
-- Loss of interest in things typically enjoyed.
-- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide.

3. CYCLOTHYMIC DISORDER
Milder form. Like bipolar disorder, cyclothymia consists of cyclical mood swings; however, the highs/lows are not severe enough to qualify as either mania or major depression. Usually develops in adolescence. People having it often appear to function normally, though they may appear “moody” or “difficult” to others. People will often not seek treatment because the mood swings do not seem severe. If untreated, cyclothymia can increase the risk of developing bipolar disorder.

4. BIPOLAR DISORDER DUE TO OTHER MEDICAL OR SUBSTANCE ABUSE DISORDER
No specific pattern, and also don’t match symptoms of the other 3 disorders. Yet, they still have to meet criteria for abnormal mood changes e.g. a person may experience mild depressive or hypomanic symptoms lasting less than 2 years specified for cyclothymia. Another example is if a person has depressive episodes but symptoms of mood elevation are too mild or brief to be diagnosed as mania or hypomania.

D. GENERAL / TREATMENT
Like any other sick or infirm person, those suffering from bipolar disorder deserve to be treated with compassion, consideration and kindness. With treatment and through their own efforts, people with bipolar disorder can live rich, rewarding lives. Treatment includes variety of strategies to manage it over the long term. Because it is a chronic illness, treatment must be ongoing.

Medications are typically an important part of treatment. These may include mood stabilizers, anti-psychotic medications, or antidepressants. Such medications usually need to be taken daily and regularly to be effective.

Psychotherapy, too, is often an important part of treatment.
-- Cognitive behavioral therapy helps change negative thinking and behavior associated with depression. Goal of this therapy is to recognize negative thoughts and teach coping strategies.
-- Family-focused therapy helps those with bipolar disorder learn about it and carry out a treatment plan.
-- Psychotherapy (focused on self-care and stress regulation) helps a person improve self-care, recognize patterns of the onset of symptoms and manage stress.

E. HOW CAN I KNOW IF I HAVE BIPOLAR DISORDER?
Bipolar disorder can only be properly diagnosed by a trained health professional. However, there are indicative symptoms and behaviours that can point to a need for you see a qualified health practitioner.

Below link is for a free online test that can assist with this:

https://www.psycom.net/depression.central.bipolar-screening.html
Re: What Is Bipolar Disorder? by ncpat(m): 5:57am On Jul 23, 2020
Are you saying the disorder is what made him wanted to contest for president of America? Just asking.
Re: What Is Bipolar Disorder? by Georgekyrian(m): 8:52am On Jul 23, 2020
Niece piece
Re: What Is Bipolar Disorder? by prof2007: 1:33pm On Jul 23, 2020
ncpat:
Are you saying the disorder is what made him wanted to contest for president of America? Just asking.

Yes, it quite possible. During an episode, a person suffering from bipolar disorder can say and do things that seem illogical, ill-thought or even silly. Let's take some examples of Kanye's recent utterances and actions that indicate a possible bipolar episode:

-- On 04July2020, announced via Twitter his intention to run for President of the USA.
-- On 07July2020, did a rambling interview with Forbes, during which he (among other strange statements) slammed Planned Parenthood as an organization run by "white supremacists to do the Devil's work".
-- Revealed he'll run for POTUS through a new political party called the "Birthday Party".
-- Declared he would run the White House based on "the framework of Wakanda" (the fictional country in the Black Panther movie).
--Claimed a potential Coronavirus vaccine is "the mark of the Beast".
-- On 15July2020, was reported to have withdrawn from the US presidential race.
-- On 19July2020, broke down in tears at his first presidential campaign rally.
-- On 21July2020, tweeted that he has been trying to divorce Kim Kardashian for the past 2 years, and accused his mother-in-law (Kris Jenner) of being a "white supremacist".

Note: It has been reported that Kanye usually has a serious bipolar episode about once every year. Also, in October 2018, Kanye came on "TMZ Live" and said he was not taking his bipolar medication. He had previously stated he doesn't take his medication because it "stifles his creativity."

In conclusion, Kanye West is a great guy with a heart of gold, and he deserves all our compassion as he deals with this very difficult health condition. Let's pray for him and his family during this trying period. Cheers!
Re: What Is Bipolar Disorder? by mariahAngel(f): 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2020
Poor Kanye... sad

That is too much for one person to feel.
I think his problem started when he lost his mum so suddenly...I think he's yet to heal from that.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Claims Doctor's Life In Cross Rivers / Cancer Survivor's Needed For Interview's / What Is Hormonal Imbalance Most Talked About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.