Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria (2760 Views)

Meet Nigerian Heroes That Fought Gallantly To Give Us Peace During The Civil War / Igbo General Appointed By Buhari. / The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Hotice085: 6:52am On Jul 24, 2020
On May 30,1967 The republic of Biafra was declared. What followed was a bloody civil war that consumed more than four million souls. Nigeria was in turmoil and peace efforts failed. The most prominent was the Aburi accord reached .

Ironically, there are crop of men whose kith and kin were either part of Biafra or identified with the movement but still chose to fight on the side of Nigeria. Among them are the likes of Godwin Alabi-Isama, Ike Nwachukwu, Cyril Iweze, George Kurubo, Isaac Boro, Alfred Diette-Spiff, Emmanuel Ekpo, Okoi Arikpo, Godwin Ally and Kenule Saro-Wiwa among others.

One of the most prominent of this men was Ike Omar Sanda Nwachukwu’s.His mother was from Katsina, his father an Ovim, Isuikwuato man. He was born and raised in the north.Nwachukwu joined the Army and was under the protection of Brigadier Hassan Katsina, a Katsina Prince and Army Chief during the war.

He was a lieutenant at the break of the coup and was moved to army head quarters provosts, and later redeployed to join Lt Col. Muritala Muhamed’s division. There he became a company commander. He commanded company battalion all through Ore road and confrontations to the banks of Niger to Onisha. Not only that he fought against his people , Nwachukwu was one of the principal actors from the Nigerian side during the war .

According to him "I fought in the Nigerian Civil War as a Federal Army officer, principally because I believe in Nigeria´s unity. That belief remains my conviction that all Nigerians regardless of ethnic, religious or regional origin have the right to live, work and prosper anywhere and everywhere in Nigeria"

He was later appointed military Governor of Imo State. From 1986 to 1987 he was Minister for Employment, Labour and Productivity and from December 1987 to December 1989, he was Minister of Foreign Affairs. In September 1990 he was re-appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs. He retired as a Major General

Talk of those who fought for Nigeria, Alabi-Isama, a Lt.Col.in 1969, was a prominent actor. He did not really know he was from Ikilibi, Utagba Uno in the Igbo speaking part of Mid-West. He lost his father as a kid and followed his Yoruba mother.

He was a Principal Staff Officer in the war fighting on the side of Nigeria and was moved form the Second Division to Benjamin Adekunle’s Third Marine Commandos and ended up with Col. Olusegun Obasanjo. He retired as a Brigadier in 1977.

Cyril Iweze also fought for Nigeria and much later he was posted to ECOMOG in 1990 as Chief of Staff.

Major Isaac Boro, on his part led a group of Niger Delta militia that declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and fought with federal forces for twelve days before being defeated. Boro and his men were jailed for treason. However, the federal regime of General Yakubu Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967. He then enlisted and was commissioned as a major in the Nigerian army . He fought on the side of the Federal Government but was killed under mysterious circumstances in active service in 1968.

General Kurubowa ,who was the third Commander of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and the first indigenous Chief of Air Staff joined Biafra but later defected to Nigeria.Kurubo grouse was that Ojukwu whom he did not recognize as a superior officer put him in charge of logistics. Serving as the Eastern commander of logistics, Kurubo defected from Biafra to the Federal Government.He was later made Nigerian ambassador to the Soviet Union.
(Copied )

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by techmo(m): 7:11am On Jul 24, 2020
Should we fry sand

Yoruba's also fought for Biafra, even leading war front..

Americans also fought as mercinery

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by muykem: 7:12am On Jul 24, 2020
Those are not Igbo. Major Isaac Boro is from Bayelsa. The good people of Bayelsa state have no relationship with Igbo and have been consistently reject Biafra since inception.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Ikennamurphy: 7:13am On Jul 24, 2020
They are not Igbo.. Anyone can answer any name... Min of transport answers Rotimi but he isn't a Yoruba man undecided

3 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by ChimaAdeoye: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2020
Hotice085:

On May 30,1967 The republic of Biafra was declared. What followed was a bloody civil war that consumed more than four million souls. Nigeria was in turmoil and peace efforts failed. The most prominent was the Aburi accord reached .

Ironically, there are crop of men whose kith and kin were either part of Biafra or identified with the movement but still chose to fight on the side of Nigeria. Among them are the likes of Godwin Alabi-Isama, Ike Nwachukwu, Cyril Iweze, George Kurubo, Isaac Boro, Alfred Diette-Spiff, Emmanuel Ekpo, Okoi Arikpo, Godwin Ally and Kenule Saro-Wiwa among others.

One of the most prominent of this men was Ike Omar Sanda Nwachukwu’s.His mother was from Katsina, his father an Ovim, Isuikwuato man. He was born and raised in the north.Nwachukwu joined the Army and was under the protection of Brigadier Hassan Katsina, a Katsina Prince and Army Chief during the war.

He was a lieutenant at the break of the coup and was moved to army head quarters provosts, and later redeployed to join Lt Col. Muritala Muhamed’s division. There he became a company commander. He commanded company battalion all through Ore road and confrontations to the banks of Niger to Onisha. Not only that he fought against his people , Nwachukwu was one of the principal actors from the Nigerian side during the war .

According to him "I fought in the Nigerian Civil War as a Federal Army officer, principally because I believe in Nigeria´s unity. That belief remains my conviction that all Nigerians regardless of ethnic, religious or regional origin have the right to live, work and prosper anywhere and everywhere in Nigeria"

He was later appointed military Governor of Imo State. From 1986 to 1987 he was Minister for Employment, Labour and Productivity and from December 1987 to December 1989, he was Minister of Foreign Affairs. In September 1990 he was re-appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs. He retired as a Major General

Talk of those who fought for Nigeria, Alabi-Isama, a Lt.Col.in 1969, was a prominent actor. He did not really know he was from Ikilibi, Utagba Uno in the Igbo speaking part of Mid-West. He lost his father as a kid and followed his Yoruba mother.

He was a Principal Staff Officer in the war fighting on the side of Nigeria and was moved form the Second Division to Benjamin Adekunle’s Third Marine Commandos and ended up with Col. Olusegun Obasanjo. He retired as a Brigadier in 1977.

Cyril Iweze also fought for Nigeria and much later he was posted to ECOMOG in 1990 as Chief of Staff.

Major Isaac Boro, on his part led a group of Niger Delta militia that declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and fought with federal forces for twelve days before being defeated. Boro and his men were jailed for treason. However, the federal regime of General Yakubu Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967. He then enlisted and was commissioned as a major in the Nigerian army . He fought on the side of the Federal Government but was killed under mysterious circumstances in active service in 1968.

General Kurubowa ,who was the third Commander of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and the first indigenous Chief of Air Staff joined Biafra but later defected to Nigeria.Kurubo grouse was that Ojukwu whom he did not recognize as a superior officer put him in charge of logistics. Serving as the Eastern commander of logistics, Kurubo defected from Biafra to the Federal Government.He was later made Nigerian ambassador to the Soviet Union.
(Copied )

Ike Nwachukwu said the reason he fought for Nigeria against Biafra was because he believed Igbos were better off in Nigeria than a small country ~ Biafra.

I wish i can meet Gen Nwachukwu now and ask him if he still believes the crap called "One Nigeria" grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

Ike Nwachukwu said the reason he fought for Nigeria against Biafra was because he believed Igbos were better off in Nigeria than a small country ~ Biafra.

I wish i can meet Gen Nwachukwu now and ask him if he still believes the crap called "One Nigeria" grin grin grin

He was right. In fact I can jog through the entire length of iboland within a very short period of time.

7 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by LadySarah: 1:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
He is a very foolish man. I doubt he has set his feet in the SE for yrs now. His home is overrun by weeds.

Very foolish man.

2 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Noneroone(m): 1:12pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ike nwachukwku has Fulani blood.

when we ask some saboteurs to check who their real parents are, we mean it.

5 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by rummmy: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

He was right. In fact I can jog through the entire length of iboland within a very short period of time.
you can also jog the entire Nigeria within specified period of time....
You think you made sense with what you said above.

10 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2020
rummmy:
you can also jog the entire Nigeria within specified period of time....
You think you made sense with what you said above.

A very short period of time like a couple of days maximum.

4 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by rummmy: 1:17pm On Jul 24, 2020
LadySarah:
He is a very foolish man. I doubt he has set his feet in the SE for yrs now. His home is overrun by weeds.

Very foolish man.
dont say that again about his home town but you can say that about his person.
He does not have any value in his town...
He is seen by many as EFULEFU

4 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by rummmy: 1:19pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

oya start let ME watch your legs swelling up in pains.
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 1:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
rummmy:
oya start let ME watch your legs swelling up in pains.

I'm sure you got my point. Biafra marathon will be like circling the country like 3 times.

1 Like

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

the only reason he fought for Nigeria was selfish interest.He went by his Fulani name during the war-when buhari removed one of the east best government he replaced him with this same fellow who ,stranded the metallurgical centre being built in ABA,instituted an adult tax program that till date isn't accounted for and sold gas turbines purchased for generating electricity in SE to South Korea.
When he saw that he had no stake in the North ,he relegated his Fulani name to the background and remembered he is an Igbo

6 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

You’re not making any sense....just coming across as being very thick!

Just how much land is enough to form a country, if size is your determining factor?

2 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2020
eduj:

the only reason he fought for Nigeria was selfish interest.He went by his Fulani name during the war-when buhari removed one of the east best government he replaced him with this same fellow who ,stranded the metallurgical centre being built in ABA,instituted an adult tax program that till date isn't accounted for and sold gas turbines purchased for generating electricity in SE to South Korea.
When he saw that he had no stake in the North ,he relegated his Fulani name to the background and remembered he is an Igbo

Dude is a grade one efulefu Idiot!

1 Like

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 2:12pm On Jul 24, 2020
PROUDIGBO:

You’re not making any sense....just coming across as being very thick!

Just how much land is enough to form a country, if size is your determining factor?

Very thick like your forefathers who fought amoured tanks with cudgels?.........while shouting nzogbu nzogbu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by rummmy: 2:25pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

I'm sure you got my point. Biafra marathon will be like circling the country like 3 times.
what is the size of Mali or Niger Republic?
What is the size of Switzerland or Israel?
Finally, between Rwanda and tchad which do you think is better?
The earlier you realize that size of a country is not directly proportional to the development and we'll being of its citizens, the better for you

4 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by selemempe: 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2020
muykem:
Those are not Igbo. Major Isaac Boro is from Bayelsa. The good people of Bayelsa state have no relationship with Igbo and have been consistently reject Biafra since inception.
so says a yoro Móslem who accused GEJ of favouring Igbos over ewedu eaters

7 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by T8ksy(m): 2:40pm On Jul 24, 2020
Noneroone:
Ike nwachukwku has Fulani blood.

when we ask some saboteurs to check who their real parents are, we mean it.

Saboteurs ke? But Ojukwu too. had fulani blood as his mum is from the north.

Probably explains why Ojukwu insisted of continuing with the war even as his "own people" were dying of malnutrition daily, in their hundreds.

In fact, Ojukwu used the gory pictures of his people's suffering to perpetuate the war

2 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2020
rummmy:
what is the size of Mali or Niger Republic?
What is the size of Switzerland or Israel?
Finally, between Rwanda and tchad which do you think is better?
The earlier you realize that size of a country is not directly proportional to the development and we'll being of its citizens, the better for you

Iboland is not Israel, and I don't see anyone remotely as sensible as Paul Kagame in Iboland. All of your leaders are greedy and they only care about themselves.
A tiny Iboland with millions of people may result in you eating each other like in the old times.

3 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by LaboPolitics: 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

So you are can jog around Isreal in 5 mins?

yorubanza, deluding themselves as usual. grin
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Guestlander: 2:54pm On Jul 24, 2020
LaboPolitics:

So you are can jog around Isreal in 5 mins?

yorubanza, deluding themselves as usual. grin

Tiny real estate. Unfortunately gully erosion is reducing the size by the day.
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Ikeast(m): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

Iboland is not Israel, and I don't see anyone remotely as sensible as Paul Kagame in Iboland. All of your leaders are greedy and they only care about themselves.
A tiny Iboland with millions of people may result in you eating each other like in the old times.
Then how is that your problem.....

3 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Ogonimilitant(m): 3:02pm On Jul 24, 2020
Group Capt. Emeka Omerua also fought against his people

2 Likes

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by LadySarah: 4:19pm On Jul 24, 2020
rummmy:
dont say that again about his home town but you can say that about his person.
He does not have any value in his town...
He is seen by many as EFULEFU

What are you even saying? I know his massive house at Ovim and you are telling me what I don't know.He and the former COAS.Ihejirika are from the same place.

Everywhere is covered with weeds.
His family only remembers they are Igbos to occupy Abia State slot in Federal level nothing more.
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by kingzizzy: 4:55pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ike Nwachukwu only fought for his Fulani masters to turn Igbos to slaves and Im happy he is alive to see the "one Nigeria" he fought for become a joke
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by Nicepoker(m): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

Same way those in kaduna are killing themselves.
Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by colonelwealth(m): 8:12pm On Jul 24, 2020
Guestlander:

The same herdsmen jog round the entire oduduwa and oshogbo in less than 40mins turning ur land to suya spot.

1 Like

Re: CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria by rummmy: 9:50am On Jul 25, 2020
LadySarah:

What are you even saying? I know his massive house at Ovim and you are telling me what I don't know.He and the former COAS.Ihejirika are from the same place.

Everywhere is covered with weeds.
His family only remembers they are Igbos to occupy Abia State slot in Federal level nothing more.
i don't even understand what you are saying...... You only know ovim from a far...... I'm an insider

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Obiano Sacks James Nwafor (SSA) Former OC SARS, To Be Procecuted / Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: There’s Attempt To Cause Ethnic Divisions – Afenifere / VIDEO: ‘your Oga Is Talking’ – Chiwetalu Agu Cautions Soldier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.