Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,547 members, 7,955,032 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:57 PM

The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. (2425 Views)

CIVIL WAR- The Igbo General That Fought For Nigeria / Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts / Grant Nnamdi Kanu Presidential Pardon To Attend Parents Burial - Ohaneze Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by thatsleepboy1: 1:38am On Dec 03, 2020
The only General that has not gotten Presidential pardon, 23 years after his arrest by Gen. Abacha.

The alleged phantom coup of 1997 is inarguably the most surreptitious coup plot allegation ever made by any government in Nigeria. The motive behind the arrest of the accused persons was regarded as a witchaunt. Even as of today, there is no comprehensive record that indicate whether the accused persons have anything to do with the alleged plot. It's widely believed that Abacha instigated the phantom coup himself, in other to acquire support and backing from the public. It was also seen as a rendezvous attempt by Abacha's inner clique to sideline any possible threat amids his transition agenda.

People that were arrested in connection with the phantom coup II comprised of Military and Civilians. The most well known figures among the accused plotters were, The Chief of General Staff, Lieutenant General Oladipo Diya, The Minister of Works and Housing, Major General Abdulkareem Adisa, and the General Officer Commanding 3rd armour division, Major General Tajudeen Olanrewanju.
The Special Military Tribunal that was setup for the trial was headed by Major General Victor Malu. The trial began in the middle of February 1998 and ended up exactly two months after its commencement. But even before the flag-up, many people have dashed hopes of seeing any fair hairing.

The Tribunal's final verdict found Diya, Adisa and Olanrewanjo of treason, and sentenced them to death, while the rest were commuted to various jail terms.

The death of General Sani Abacha in June 1998, and the assumption of Major General Abdulsalami Abubakar as Head of States came as a relief to these three people, who were already waiting for execution order. On 3, March 1998, the Provisional Ruling Council offered them unconditional amnesty.

On 12, March 2013, Premium Times, Daily Trust Newspaper and hosts of other national dailies reported that President Goodluck Jonathan had granted State pardon to General Oladipo Diya (rtd), General Abdulkareem Adisa (late) and three other people. It was quite a suprise that the name of General Olanrewanjo was missed out from the gesture.

In his interview with The Guardian newspaper in 2017, Maj. General Olanrewanju (rtd) gave a contrast between pardon and clemency. He however stressed that only President Buhari has the power to grant him Presidential pardon, the same manner Jonathan did to General Diya and Co.

Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by realstars: 2:16am On Dec 03, 2020
The only one that has no power.
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by etrouble: 3:40am On Dec 03, 2020
What does the idiot want to do with Presidential pardon?

The idiot is Obe if the many problems of Nigeria
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by BlackfireX: 4:00am On Dec 03, 2020
You mean diya grin that was crying like a chicken thief in the market

He was part of the coup planners, I wonder how he got to that rank sef... grin

grin
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by tillaman(m): 4:57am On Dec 03, 2020
grin
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Anaerobi(m): 6:32am On Dec 03, 2020
If Goodluck pardon el mustapha, how's this man crime that he wasn't pardoned?
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Racoon(m): 6:39am On Dec 03, 2020
Why was general Olarenwaju not pardoned? Abacha really meant those men back then but God pass am.
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Starboytwo(m): 6:58am On Dec 03, 2020
How can I get detailed history of the various coup d'etat that happened in Nigeria.
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Odobaone: 7:12am On Dec 03, 2020
The military is like a cult. These guys are deep hearted
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Henrodah(m): 7:15am On Dec 03, 2020
Starboytwo:
How can I get detailed history of the various coup d'etat that happened in Nigeria.

Jan 1966- 1st coup by the 5majors.
July 1966 -Counter coup that led to the civil war.
Feb 1975- Dimka's coup that killed Murtala Muhammad.
Dec 1985 -Coup to remove Buhari.
1985 -Mamman Vatsa 's coup(phantom).
1995-Gwandabe's coup( Obasanjo was arrested)
1997 -Diya's coup and the end of coup de tat in nigeria.
These are the rough timeline brodaman.

2 Likes

Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by MosheDayan: 7:15am On Dec 03, 2020
So Jonathan even pardoned these people ? And his people decided that a tyrant was going to be their president? Sophisticated morons grin
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Starboytwo(m): 7:53am On Dec 03, 2020
Henrodah:

thanks man, I'd do my research
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by OiOi: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2020
Racoon:
Why was general Olarenwaju not pardoned? Abacha really meant those men back then but God pass am.
Abacha was exterminated. No be say God pass am.
Wetin God dey look wey the guy take reach con dey rule 9ja with heavy hand and syphoning state funds ?
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by AskProf: 8:29am On Dec 03, 2020
Henrodah:

Read thru & make corrections:

Dec 1983 - The overthrow of Shagari government.

Aug 1985 - The overthrow of Buhari.

Apr 1990 - The attempted overthrow of Babangida government.
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Rugaria: 8:58am On Dec 03, 2020
The mercenary media houses in Nigeria keep referring to this coup as "phantom", when they know it was real. Such intentional revisionism. A coup was plotted by these men. Abacha was lucky to have been informed early by moles of the impending coup and he told them to play along. They did and at the time he felt he has had enough, he arrested them and played the videos on national TV. I don't know why they insist on making it look like nothing happened. A coup was plotted .
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by gotnel: 9:40am On Dec 03, 2020
Henrodah:

April 1990. Gideon Orkar coup
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by AskProf: 10:53am On Dec 03, 2020
Rugaria:
The mercenary media houses in Nigeria keep referring to this coup as "phantom", when they know it was real. Such intentional revisionism. A coup was plotted by these men. Abacha was lucky to have been informed early by moles of the impending coup and he told them to play along. They did and at the time he felt he has had enough, he arrested them and played the videos on national TV. I don't know why they insist on making it look like nothing happened. A coup was plotted .

The plot was real 100%. I witness live testimonies at Oputa panel.

1 Like

Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Henrodah(m): 5:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
gotnel:

April 1990. Gideon Orkar coup

Oh my word! I forgot totally.
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Henrodah(m): 5:38pm On Dec 03, 2020
AskProf:

Read thru & make corrections:

Dec 1983 - The overthrow of Shagari government.

Aug 1985 - The overthrow of Buhari.

Apr 1990 - The attempted overthrow of Babangida government.
I totally forgot that blood u 1990 coup
Re: The Only General That Has Not Gotten Presidential Pardon. by Henrodah(m): 5:39pm On Dec 03, 2020
Starboytwo:
thanks man, I'd do my research

Aii man.

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Blasts Oluwo Of Iwo Calls Him 'omo Ale Oba' / [VIDEO]: Four Killed In Bloody Attack On Enugu Police Station / The Man Who Came Back From Bonny To Bury His Inlaw And Was Arrested Released!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.