Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,098 members, 7,863,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:40 AM

My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha (1135 Views)

Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri / My Nomination Came As A Surprise- Fayemi / A Vote For Jonathan Is A Vote For God Says A New PDP Advert On Nta (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by Ovularia: 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2011
My nomination an act of God, says Abacha

NewsFeb 8, 2011

Kano – Alhaji Mohammed Abacha, the governorship candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in Kano State,says his nomination as the party’s flagbearer in the April elections is “an act of God”.
Abacha’s name appeared on the list of Candidates displayed by the INEC in Kano,against earlier speculations that his closest rival, Brig.-Gen.Lawal Ja’afaru was the CPC’s candidate submitted to the electoral body.
The Director-General of Abacha’s campaign organisation, Alhaji Sulaiman Mohammed,also described the acceptance of Abacha’s name by INEC as an indication of the persuit of the rule of law by the commission.
“Power belongs to God;He gives it to whomsover He so wishes and takes it whenever He so wishes,and by the grace of God, Mohammed Abacha will become the next Governor of Kano,” Mohammed added.
Other Candidates who made the INEC list for the state include former Governor of the state,Dr Rabi’u Kwankwaso (PDP) and the incumbent Deputy Governor, Alh.Abdullahi Gwarzo who is contesting on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria(ACN).
Gwarzo had earlier defected to the ACN from the ruling ANPP in the state,alleging manupulations of the Ward’s congresses.
NAN reports that Abacha’s emergence on the list prompted jubilation by his supporters who took to the streets in Kano.
In Umuahia, 15 political parties will contest the elections, following the approval of their lists by INEC.
The parties, with their governorship candidates, include Chief Paul Ikonne (ACN), Mr Onuoha Christian (ALP), Chief Reagan Ufomba (APGA), Mr Ukpabi Uchenna (AD), Mr Chukwuemeka Ikpo (ANPP), Mr Obioma Onyeaghalam (CPN), Mr Ndukwe Ndukwe (NCP) and Mr Samuel Chukwuma (CPP).
Others are Mr nwachukwu Kelechi (CDC), Mr Owanta Emenike (DFPF), Chief Theodre Orji (PDP), Mr Chikwendu James (PPP), Chief Chris Akoma (PPA), Chief Staley Ohajuruka (LP) and Mr OnuohaAkwari (NTP).
While fomer Governor of Abia, Chief Orji Kalu made the list as Abia North Senatorial candidate (PPA), Chief Ako Atuloma’s name as Governorship candidate of CPC was not displayed as the list of CPC was not released.
But Mr Edwin Enabor, INEC Public Relations Officer (PRO) said that the Commission only released names that were forwarded from the parties’ headquarters.
“It could be that names of those who did not make the list were wrongly taken to other states,” Enabor said.
Meanwhile, Chief Stanley Ohajuruka, the state governorship candidate of Labour Party has commended INEC
for the prompt release of the lists nationwide.
Ohajuruka told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Umuahia that the electoral body had proved that it was determined to ensure the success of the elections.
He said although names of LP candidates in three constituencies of Ukwa East, Bende North and Aba Central had not been released, the party had taken necessary steps to remedy the situation.
Ohajuruka urged Nigerians to eschew all forms of political misgivings and unite to ensure the success of the exercise.
(NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/my-nomination-an-act-of-god-says-abacha/
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by mensdept: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2011
Its sad that the opposition is Nigeria is often fulll of baboons and the devil's cousin. From "Action Group" to today. Dayum
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by redsun(m): 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2011
An act of fundamental foolisn-ness and madness.
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by redsun(m): 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
It is obvious families like abachas',obasanjos',sarakis',tinubus' are traitors and number one enemies of nigeria state,yet nigerians foolish-ly nominate and accept their nominations into public offices.

What happened to your rationality nigerians?
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by jamace(m): 5:52pm On Feb 08, 2011
This guy and his dad looted Nigeria's treasury with reckless abandon, without fear of God/Allah, and he has the gut to mention God's name? Vengeance awaits him at the corner. Thief, angry
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by fatherab1: 8:40pm On Mar 27, 2011
CPC IS SET TO SWEEP AWAY THE SWEET-TALKING, NON-PERFORMING ANPP AND CLUELESS BUT STINGY KWANKWASO OF CORRUPT PDP

KANAWA 2011

Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by fatherab1: 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2011
kanawa 2011

Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by fatherab1: 8:48pm On Mar 27, 2011
[size=30pt]SHAKARA-U WILL LOOSE KANO[/size]

Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by efisher(m): 8:49pm On Mar 27, 2011
When you hear names like this in a party like CPC, the scales of false hope will begin to fall off. The acclaimed superhero of anti-corruption boldly declared that the most notorious military dictator never stole any money. We all know the stories. Some of us know this man in question personally. The question then comes again: IS THERE REALLY HOPE IN THE PAST, OR IS HOPE IN OUR FUTURE. Do not be deceived. Once beaten, twice shy.
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by ektbear: 9:12pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sai Abacha

On a serious note though, if the people of Kano want Abacha, then who am I to deny them that right? undecided

Surely they can vote for whoever they like, no matter how unsavory the name is to me.
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by fatherab1: 9:21pm On Mar 27, 2011
efisher:

When you hear names like this in a party like CPC, the scales of false hope will begin to fall off. The acclaimed superhero of anti-corruption boldly declared that the most notorious military dictator never stole any money. We all know the stories. Some of us know this man in question personally. The question then comes again: IS THERE REALLY HOPE IN THE PAST, OR IS HOPE IN OUR FUTURE. Do not be deceived. Once beaten, twice shy.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE FORGOTTEN THE MEANING OF DEMOCRACY LATELY.

IF THE PEOPLE SAY THEY NEED ABACHA JNR NO MATTER HOW MUCH HIS FATHER STOLE, THAT IS DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.
EVEN BUHARI THOUGHT THE GEN. JAFARU WILL WIN CPC PRIMARIES, BUT THE YOUTHS VOTED MASSIVELY TO MAKE ABACHA WIN. THE PRIMARIES WERE HELD 3 GOOD TIMES AND ABACHA WON EVERY TIME. THAT WAS WHY IT WAS SO EASY FOR HIM TO WIN AT THE COURTS.
Re: My Nomination An Act Of God, Says Abacha by enyojo(f): 12:44am On Mar 28, 2011
[b]Jakande, Abacha and history Saturday, 06 November 2010 00:00 Adesola Muyiwa Abdul-Kareem Opinion
When history is written from the perspective of prejudice, fed by ignorance, facts are bound to be brutally suppressed. This seems to be the reality surrounding the assessment of the late General Sani Abacha, especially from the perspective of South-West analysts and commentators. In fact, they virtually see nothing good about the late military ruler. Criticism arising purely from prejudice and animosity is the laziest intellectual efforts. But prejudice apart, are all the attacks on the late General Abacha justified or fair?
One man, however, who has consistently made frank efforts to assess the late General Abacha with an open mind is the former civilian governor of Lagos State during the Second Republic, Alhaji Lateef Jakande. Speaking during a recent interview with the Vanguard newspaper, Alhaji Jakande admitted that the late General Abacha had more accolades to his record than his enemies are courageous enough to admit.
According to the veteran Journalist, Gen. Abacha meant well for Nigeria and was on the course of executing and completing major development projects before fate struck in June 1998. Chief Jakande recalled that as a former Minister of Housing and Urban Development under Abacha, their administration had started major housing projects, witnessing the execution of 125,000 houses across the country. These projects, he said, had already got off the ground across the country.
Even without Jakande going into copious details, Nigerians can see the evidence of Abacha’s achievements on the ground twelve years after his demise. For example, the Gwarinpa Housing Estate, which is the largest single housing project in Africa, remains an enduring tribute to the memory of the late General Abacha. Former President Obasanjo is the harshest critic of General Abacha and, despite earning more billion dollars of oil revenues than the late military ruler, his performance record after eight years in office was an outstanding failure.
Therefore, as far as most fair-minded Nigerians are concerned, Alhaji Jakande was preaching to the converted. Nigerians can see Abacha’s achievements on the ground. During the eight-year-rule of former President Obasanjo, national infrastructure started a major decline, despite billions of dollars received by his administration as oil revenues. In fact, even the 18 billion dollars debt relief granted Nigeria under his administration didn’t have any impact on social and physical development.
Other Nigerians didn’t envy the South-West under Obasanjo. Today bad road network is one of the sorry legacies left by the former Obasanjo administration in the South-West. In fact, Obasanjo himself admitted at one point that he was ashamed of the conditions of federal roads! The bigger shame however, is that he couldn’t justify the billions of dollars that came into the coffers of his administration as oil revenues. His failure obscured the bright promises which Nigeria’s return to democracy in 1999 was supposed to have brought about.
In contrast, however, the late General Abacha was able to make a significant impact within five years at a time the total oil revenues that came to his administration was put at 10 billion dollars. With the establishment of the defunct Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), Nigerians had for the first time saw the concrete benefits of petroleum subsidy withdrawal. Our hospitals, schools, roads, water supply systems, transport sector and electricity began to show remarkable signs of improvements with PTF intervention.
Unfortunately, former President Obasanjo impulsively scrapped the PTF and reversed the achievements without offering alternatives. Despite spending an estimated sum of 10 billion dollars to achieve regular power supply by the Obasanjo administration, the money went down the drain. Testimonies before the House of Representatives Power Probe Committee were devastating as it opened the eyes of Nigerians to the hypocrisy of the former Obasanjo administration.
It is on record that the late General Abacha started a major railway rehabilitation and modernization projects. He invited the Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Company and within a few months, our railway system was taking an impressive new shape. Sadly, Obasanjo frustrated the railway projects out of personal animosity against Abacha, thereby sacrificing the larger public interest to serve a private motive. Shamelessly, however, towards the end of his tenure, he re-awarded the rail contracts at a more staggering cost to Nigeria. Because it was done out of malicious motives, the railway modernization projects are today bogged down, thanks to Obasanjo’s insincerity.
It is also to Abacha’s credit that he didn’t collect any foreign loan but he was still able to deliver. Former FCT Minister, General Jerry Useini and Former Chairman of National Economic Intelligence Committee, Professor Sam Aluko have testified to this fact in several media interviews. Nigerians don’t need a reminder from Alhaji Lateef Jakande to appreciate General Abacha’s impressive record within a relatively short space of time he was destined to be in government. Since 1999, Nigerians oil revenues have risen to unbelievable extent but the so-called democratic rulers have only managed to increase the scale of corruption and accelerating poverty in the country.
A former U. S. President, Bill Clinton, said in the year 2000, during a visit to Nigeria that his country would not oppose debt relief for Nigeria, provided the benefits would go to ordinary Nigerians. Unfortunately, Clinton’s fears were eventually confirmed. A few years after the debt relief, the so-called national budgets didn’t bring any significant improvement in the quality of life for ordinary Nigerians. One of the arguments for debt relief made by the former Obasanjo administration was that Nigeria was committing almost 50 percent of its budget to servicing foreign debts to the detriment of key social service sectors.
Persuaded by these superficially genuine arguments, the Western creditors finally granted Nigeria a debt relief of 18billion dollars in 2003. However, even the Western nations are themselves disappointed with the quality of life of Nigerians today, despite granting the country the 18 billion dollars debt relief. With this disgraceful record of failure, what moral justification should former President Obasanjo have to condemn the Abacha administration?
One commends Alhaji Jakande’s courage to speak up honestly about Abacha’s achievements in the political environment of the South-West, which is hostile to Abacha’s memory. However, prejudice cannot crush the truth because it will always resurge.
Abdul-Kareem wrote in from No. 29, Panama Street, Minister’s Hill Maitama, Abuja[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: Do We Need Egyptian Style Revolution To Achieve Biafra / Fashola Tackles Dosunmu, Randle At Debate / Mayhem Looming In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.