Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,125 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

History of Koulibali: A man who spoke Against Slave Trading In the 12th Century - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / History of Koulibali: A man who spoke Against Slave Trading In the 12th Century (171 Views)

African Leaders Who Spoke Against Same-sex Marriage / If Jesus Christ Is God, Who Spoke During His Baptism? / Akure Baby Who "Spoke 2 Weeks After Birth" (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

History of Koulibali: A man who spoke Against Slave Trading In the 12th Century by OtemAtum: 10:50am On Jul 25, 2020
Sometimes we tend to wonder if there are no Africans wise enough to speak against colonialism and slave trading when it came rocking us in Africa. Actually, some people opposed these oppressions but they were suppressed. But the Book of Universal History is making them known. Their hidden voices are being revealed.

Here is the case of Musa Koulibali
Pivadra 9: 1-27

1. Musa Koulibali was a great philosopher, born in the 281,178th year of the homo sapiens era, also called the year 1178C.E, in Timbuktu now found in Mali.
2. Now when Koulibali began to grow, he began to ask questions, because in those days, many Muslims from the Sahara began to enter into the land.
3, Now Koulibali had reasoned deep and then he said, why is Timbuktu trading themselves for salt, cowries and beads?
4. We, being blacks, give ourselves to them as slaves and in return they give us salt and cowries.
5. Can salt be valued as much as human lives? Now brothers and sisters of Timbuktu, let us reject slavery and slave trading in its entirety.
6. Now when Koulibali spoke this to the hearings of Sundiata his friend, who was the heir to the throne in those days, he went to his mother Sogolon and told her, saying, mother what have you to say about the owning of slaves?
7. Are they not humans as we all are? Why are some made to be slaves while some enjoy palacial treatments?
8. Now Sogolon said, son where did you hear this manner of reasoning from? Why do you think like a common man?
9. Should we not have slaves and trade them also? What difference are we from the common people if we do not have slaves, gold, cowries and beads in abundant?
10. Sundiata my son, now tell me who has influenced you to speak in this manner?
11. Now Sundiata the prince perceived that his mother wanted to do harm to the person, so he did not tell the queen who it was.
12. Now the queen spoke to five of her servants, saying, watch Sundiata and let me know from whom he learns his ideas.
13. For he does not reason like Konaté his late father, the great lion himself.
14. Now when the servants accompanied Sundiata, he stopped at the home of the wise man, Koulibali, who began to teach him great philosophies and wisdom.
15. Now the servants reported to Sogolon what they had seen, so she went and told the king of Mema what she had observed.
16. Now the King of Mema sent men to go and arrest Koulibali, then he was arrested.
17. Now when Koulibali was brought before the king, he was charged with speaking vile words against the authority of the land.
18. And for corrupting the mind of the foster son of the king, he was charged. Then Koulibali said, O king, do not blame me, for I speak what is true.
19. For it is not good that we should sell our own kinsmen and race to people of other races as slaves. What respect shall come to our kingdom in that manner?
20. We give them more precious things in exchange for less precious things. Can you compare gold and human lives with salt? We give them gold and humans, they give us salt in return.
21. How is the trade balanced at all? So great king, consider my reasoning and let us cut our trade ties with these Saharan people.
22. Now the king of Mema said, my ears are full. I have heard enough from you. You shall be beheaded for speaking boldly against the culture of the land.
23. Now Koulibali was locked in a prison to await his judgement.
24. Now when Sundiata discovered what was done to Koulibali, he pleaded with the king to release him.
25. Now the king said, the transgression of Koulibali is beyond me. It is a transgression against the whole kingdom and its culture, not just against me.
26. Now while Sundiata planned to secretly take Koulibali out of the prison, he was found dead, because the king had sent two of his servants to suffocate him to death secretly.
27. So was Koulibali silenced in those days for speaking against the imbalance in the trade by barter done by his people with the Saharans.

1 Like

Re: History of Koulibali: A man who spoke Against Slave Trading In the 12th Century by sylve11: 11:01am On Jul 25, 2020
Hmm cool
Re: History of Koulibali: A man who spoke Against Slave Trading In the 12th Century by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 25, 2020
and they murdered the voice of reason...heart of men...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jay Israel Senior – Prophets For Sale / My Message To The Children Of God This Morning. / What Do You Think About This Chapter Of The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.