Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Ways To Plan For Your Retirement Without Regrets - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Ways To Plan For Your Retirement Without Regrets (212 Views)

How Are You Preparing For Your Retirement? / Your Retirement Savings Account Update / Invest In Your Future Now To Secure Your Retirement Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Plan For Your Retirement Without Regrets by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 25, 2020
Retirement

The word "Retirement" sounds like a heart break to most Civil Servants. Many of us never want to leave the service because of the payments we received (salary) and positions we occupied.

Sincerelly, there is no product without expiring date likewise, the day you received your appointment letter is your manufacturing day.

Do you take cognisance of that date? What are your preparation towards that date?
Don't think it's still far! Just like yesterday, some years ago when I received my appointment letter, I can't believed that I've spent that number of years in service.

Many Directors retired empty handed while some Junior staff retired jubilating. Don't be caught in the web, start preparation now.

Things to take note:

1. Make your calculations, know the day, month and year that you will retire. The compulsory retirement age for all grades in the Government Service
is 60 years or 35 years of pensionable service whichever is earlier.

2. Ensure that your Pension Account is funded monthly. I can say it emphatically that most Federal Civil Servants never bother about this account until they retired. Be sincere to yourself, when last did you check your Pension Account balance. All you concentrated on is Salary Account. Check your Pension balance today and raise alarm if necessary. Blow the whistle if need be, don't shy away. It's your right to know!

3. Ensure that your National Housing Fund account is not dormant. Make enquiries, it's been deducted at source monthly.

4. Engage in insurance package with a reputable Insurance company with as low as five thousands naira monthly and you will marvel what that will earn you at 50 or 60 years of age. Pension payment don't come again till after one and half year, this can sustain you while patiently waiting for the Nation's go slow in computing pension benefits

5. Join a good Co-operative society in your place of work and also avoid reckless borrowing for unnecessary things.

6. Don't invest your savings on Ponzi scheme, it can ruin your retirement plans

7. Set a realistic goal of every 5 years, 10 years etc of what you intend to achieve. Invest towards that goal.

8. Try to retire with a roof on your head. Get a plot of land and develop it gradually. Don't put all your hope on your child(ren) as it may turn out to be story that touches the heart.

9. Start to acquire skills and knowledge on the business you will engage in whenever you retire. Don't think of going back to village and stay idle as this may make you liable to unsolicited health challenge(s).

10. Don't live above your income. Avoid extravagant lifestyle. Civil Servant's salary is too merge for such.

11. Keep all your documents intact. You will need them to claim your benefits.

Fellow comrade, no time. Your expiring date counts daily. Start preparation now, not morrow.

If you're inspired, please share with others.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Plan For Your Retirement Without Regrets by Geosystem(m): 11:19am On Jul 25, 2020
Nice read. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Best Data/airtime Deal / Stop Stressing Yourself And Get Fast Referrals / How Do I Get Us Address?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.