Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession (5507 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by JeSoul(f): 10:03pm On Feb 08, 2011
Confession? There's an app for that.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/08/church-approves-confession-app-iphone/?test=latestnews

An iPhone app aimed at helping Catholics through confession and encouraging lapsed followers back to the faith has been sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.
"Confession: A Roman Catholic app" is thought to be the first to be approved by a church authority. It walks Catholics through the sacrament and contains what the company behind the program describes as a "personalized examination of conscience for each user." "Our desire is to invite Catholics to engage in their faith through digital technology," said Patrick Leinen of the three-man company Little iApps, based in South Bend, Indiana.
. . .

The app is not designed to replace going to confession but to help Catholics through the act, which generally involves admitting sins to a priest in a confessional booth. Catholics still must go to a priest for absolution. Little iApps said Bishop Kevin Rhoades, of the Diocese of Fort Wayne in Indiana, officially authorized the app for Catholics to use. "It has been approved by Bishop Kevin Rhoades," said Weinandy. Leinen said the app has already aided one man in returning to the sacrament after 20 years. "We hope many more will take advantage of this new confession resource," he added.

I just tried to download the app . . . but I'm unwilling to donate the $1.99 cost. I know our brother Chukwudi already has his  cheesy
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by satani22: 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2011
Me is a Satanist. Will try use it tomorrow
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by calculusx(m): 11:00pm On Feb 08, 2011
Where can one get this app? I'm intrested
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2011
I just tried to download the app . . . but I'm unwilling to donate the $1.99 cost. I know our brother Chukwudi already has his

I am not in the US,so far here in Nigeria we are still under manual confession,we never go digital shaa,
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Image123(m): 8:42am On Feb 09, 2011
Lol @ our brother Chukwudi already has it. mediator proxy
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Tonyet1(m): 10:05am On Feb 09, 2011
The app is not designed to replace going to confession . . . Catholics still must go to a priest for absolution.

* am so hungry this morning* grin
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by calculusx(m): 12:09pm On Feb 09, 2011
I guess the app will only prepare you for confeSsion,just like a pre-confession
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by VERYANGRY(m): 1:23pm On Feb 09, 2011
which kain thing be dis now? go to the sanctuary and confess to god, in your bedroom,mountain or desert,,from runing to Rev and now thru iphone, very soon we go get baba god direct number atleast to confess directly to him, well business is good
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by madridguy(m): 1:32pm On Feb 09, 2011
All na marketing strategies.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2011
@ poster.

the catholic church did not "release" the app. They only endorsed it, i found the topic misleading.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by r231(m): 2:04pm On Feb 09, 2011
oh well
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by saremy(m): 2:18pm On Feb 09, 2011
u can imagine imagination confess through iphone. thats for guys for me manual is okay for me.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 09, 2011
This is madness! angry angry angry
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by JeSoul(f): 3:45pm On Feb 09, 2011
petermania:

@ poster.

the catholic church did not "release" the app. They only endorsed it, i found the topic misleading.
Hmmm . . . perhaps you may want to re-read the article?

An iPhone app aimed at helping Catholics through confession and encouraging lapsed followers back to the faith has been sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.
. . .

The firm said the content of the app was developed with the help of Reverend Thomas Weinandy of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and Reverend Dan Scheidt, pastor of Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Mishawaka, Indiana.
. . .

Taking to heart Pope Benedict XVI's message from last years' World Communications Address, our goal with this project is to offer a digital application that is truly 'new media at the service of the word."
Little iApps said Bishop Kevin Rhoades, of the Diocese of Fort Wayne in Indiana, officially authorized the app for Catholics to use.

. . . going by the above, the Catholic church was involved in the conception and development of content(very important) of the app. Furthermore, the app is titled "A Roman Catholic App". Some might think this is more than just an 'endorsement'.

chukwudi44:

I am not in the US,so far here in Nigeria we are still under manual confession,we never go digital shaa,
Lol. I would get the app just in honor of you Chukwudi kiss

calculusx:

Where can one get this app? I'm intrested
If you have an iPhone, just search in the App Store. It comes right up.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by tosinaded(m): 4:03pm On Feb 09, 2011
e suppose dan dey computer village na
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by GoldCircle: 4:07pm On Feb 09, 2011
not a bad idea if u ask me anyways. 'cos it isn't replacing the confession proper!
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by vescucci(m): 4:08pm On Feb 09, 2011
Good thinking. Good product. What I'd really die for though is God's hotline.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 09, 2011
. . going by the above, the Catholic church was involved in the conception and development of content(very important) of the app. Furthermore, the app is titled "A Roman Catholic App". Some might think this is more than just an 'endorsement'.

My madam I hope you are not implying the church will reap economic benefit fro this venture.The patent is clearly not owned by the church though approved by it.

The developer of the application, Patrick Leinen, is from a South Bend, Indiana-based company called "Little iApps". This is the first application that the company has developed for the Apple devices.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/110336/20110209/confession-application-apple-iphone-ipad-ipod-the-vatican-little-iapps.htm#ixzz1DTbV3ftv
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by VALIDATOR: 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2011
If na paster kriss do am na dem go wan kriticize am die. Dem kriticize am for charging gate fee for one of him  program
Anyways,this is a good innovation because nowadays we have lots of e-sins.So, e-confessions are very welcome.

$1.99 x no of catholic sinners = 100s of millions of $
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by johnjoel(m): 4:50pm On Feb 09, 2011
i don't like that at all i prefer manual confession than that shit.oh GOD help the world
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 09, 2011
Insert Quote
If na paster kriss do am na dem go wan kriticize am die. Dem kriticize am for charging gate fee for one of him program
Anyways,this is a good innovation because nowadays we have lots of e-sins.So, e-confessions are very welcome.

See this mugu,please go to the original link and read.A Company created the application,the catholic church only endorsed it.The church do not get any dime for any downloading of the application
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by JeSoul(f): 5:08pm On Feb 09, 2011
chukwudi44:

My madam I hope you are not implying the church will reap economic benefit fro this venture.The patent is clearly not owned by the church though approved by it.

The developer of the application, Patrick Leinen, is from a South Bend, Indiana-based company called "Little iApps". This is the first application that the company has developed for the Apple devices.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/110336/20110209/confession-application-apple-iphone-ipad-ipod-the-vatican-little-iapps.htm#ixzz1DTbV3ftv
Not at all sir. I was just addressing peter's comment that the RCC did not 'release' the app. Apps cost money to make and maintain so I have no problem if the patent owner wants to charge. 99% of free apps generate profit by using advertisements. I guess they wanted to keep this app add-free hence the charge. $1.99 is not much anyways for the average app-user.

Furthermore, everyone knows the Catholic church does not 'need' money, they are already loaded. lol.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by texazzpete(m): 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2011
JeSoul:

Not at all sir. I was just addressing peter's comment that the RCC did not 'release' the app. Apps cost money to make and maintain so I have no problem if the patent owner wants to charge. 99% of free apps generate profit by using advertisements. I guess they wanted to keep this app add-free hence the charge. $1.99 is not much anyways for the average app-user.

Furthermore, everyone knows the Catholic church does not 'need' money, they are already loaded. lol.

They didn't 'release' the app. They were consulted during the making and the app itself has been encouraged. But your assertion that the Church was involved at conception is not backed up by any of the facts at hand.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by jovi: 6:29pm On Feb 09, 2011
Please this topic is soooo misleading, the aplication only Helps one in doing a proper examination of conscience, it does NOT REPLACE confession, Please lets not write like the Nigerian press, ABEG EDIT!!!ASAP,
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Feb 09, 2011
texazzpete:

They didn't 'release' the app. They were consulted during the making and the app itself has been encouraged. But your assertion that the Church was involved at conception is not backed up by any of the facts at hand.
Perhaps 'conception' was not the best choice of words. However,

From the article:
Taking to heart Pope Benedict XVI's message from last years' World Communications Address, our goal with this project is to offer a digital application that is truly 'new media at the service of the word."
Clearly, this was catholic-oriented and inspired from the get-go so I'm not sure what the beef is. The RCC is not complaining and were even happy to officially attach their name to the app.

So this leaves me wondering what the existential difference is between:

- The RCC "released" the app

and

- The RCC was involved in the making of the app, was inspired by the app, approves and encourages the use of the app, and has officially attached their name to the app.

If you and Peter want to insist the Catholic church did not "release" the app, in the purest of semantics, and in the absence of the obvious - you're both right. Cheers.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by tlops(m): 7:42pm On Feb 09, 2011
VALIDATOR:

If na paster kriss do am na dem go wan kriticize am die. Dem kriticize am for charging gate fee for one of him  program

mathematician,
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by leoebhos(m): 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2011
e-confession. wow this is quiet interesting and encouraging as well. its good for following up christian faith.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by orbaxy(m): 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2011
VALIDATOR:

If na paster kriss do am na dem go wan kriticize am die. Dem kriticize am for charging gate fee for one of him program

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

you be proper igbo man grin
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2011
This is interesting. I'm not a catholic but i'll like to see how it works.
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by ibelab(m): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2011
very nice but wait till wikileaks got hold some of de confession tapes, shocked shocked
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Sunofgod(m): 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2011
Commercialization of religion gone mad.

Anyway i have no problem if it renders our crocked priests 'technologically unemployed'
Re: Catholic Church Releases iPhone App To Help With Confession by Rastamann: 9:55pm On Feb 09, 2011
Confess to your iPad? Not so fast, says the Vatican.

Officials in Rome have declared that an app available on Apple's iPhones, iPads and the iPod touch cannot serve as a confessional.

"One cannot speak in any way of confessing via iPhone," Federico Lombardi, the Vatican's spokesman, said in a statement. "This cannot be substituted by any IT application."

Confession: A Roman Catholic app walks Catholics through the sacrament.

It also keeps track of your sins and the time between confessions, information it keeps locked away via password protection.

Created for "those who frequent the sacrament and those who wish to return," the Indianapolis-based developers Little iApps says the Confession was meant to be used while in the confessional, but not as a replacement for it.

"This app invites Catholics to prayerfully prepare for and participate in the Rite of Penance," it said in a press release.

The company claims the app received an "imprimatur" from Bishop Kevin C. Rhodes of the Diocese of Fort Wayne, suggesting it was approved by the Catholic Church.

With News Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2011/02/09/2011-02-09_vatican_you_cant_confess_your_sins_to_an_iphone_app.html#ixzz1DUtbdTg6

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 / The Mark Of The Beast - If You See It, It’s Too Late. / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.