Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,634 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? (663 Views)

'Policemen Have Right To Protect Themselves With Firearms In Face Of Danger' / You Don't Have Right To Protest High Electricity Tarriff - Police Tell Youths / Man Caught With 2 Human Skulls In Calabar: 'Police Have No Right To Arrest Me' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:27am On Jul 27, 2020
Last week, I travelled to a southwest state for a project. On my way to the hotel I met a police checkpoint. The officer said he would have asked me for my receipt but my 'calibre' is beyond that. So instead I should give him 500 naira!

I just laughed it off with him.

My question to lawyers (and other learned folks) in the house is:

- is it legal for police to demand my laptop's receipt even without any report or suspicion of theft?

- If such scenario arises what's the right step to take from a legal perspective.

To my street guys:
- what's the streetwise solution to this.

Personally, I find it untoward. However, police are a people one has to be careful with and that's why I'm seeking advise.

TIA.
Re: Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by Temitopemo6e6(m): 7:31am On Jul 27, 2020
My brother if police ask you for your receipt abeg present am
na animal full our Nigeria Police Force or make your ask Inspector General
of Police Mohammed
Adamu

2 Likes

Re: Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by psucc(m): 7:58am On Jul 27, 2020
abeg complete the story.

How did you get away from there and not end up a yahoo yahoo?

That will help a lot of people out of the police wahala while we wait for the response to your posers.
Re: Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2020
psucc:
abeg complete the story.

How did you get away from there and not end up a yahoo yahoo?

That will help a lot of people out of the police wahala while we wait for the response to your posers.

Lol.

Don't get me wrong. He didn't accuse me of being a yahoo boy.

He was trying to say he could accuse me of possessing a laptop that I had no proof of ownership for. Therefore, he was saying: "I could have called you a thief that you stole this laptop, but just give me five hundred naira and go."

I laughed his offer off and he laughed along. I don't why but I think he wasn't just in the mood to frustrate me. Even if he was, I was bad market because the project is a government project so he'll only land himself in trouble. I guess he perceived this. Police know how to identify potential "bad market".
Re: Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by Shellsploit: 8:36am On Jul 27, 2020
Nigeria police sef!
To serve and protect with integrity..
Re: Does Police Have Right To Ask For A Laptop Receipt? by 2cribz: 9:00am On Jul 27, 2020
Sha no carry lapy or wear efcc red jacket. Shave up. Drive army green 406 tinted. Fear no go allow them flag you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Two Blood Brothers Killed Their Brother In Imo State (Graphic Photos) / Got Scammed By 31566178554 / 4 Safety Tips For The #EndSARS Protest - Written By Amechi Okoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.