Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) (871 Views)

Top 5 Things To Do With Friend During A Holiday / Man Splits $22 Million Lottery Win With Bestfriend To Honor 28 Year Pledge / Psquare Splits Over Critical Quarel At Lawyers' Office Today - Nasarawareports. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by HeWrites(m): 7:43am On Jul 27, 2020
Thomas Cook splitted jackpot with his Wisconsin friend Joseph Feeney to honor the made promise they made with each other.

The Wisconsin friends in 1992 held each other's hands and promised that anyone of them that ever win the Powerball jackpot shall split the lottery winnings with the other.

28 years after making the promise, Thomas Cook of Elk Mound honored the promise when he purchased the winning ticket for a $22 million jackpot at a gas station in Menomonie in June.

"It was quite an experience. When I read the first two or three numbers, I kind of froze", said Cook in an interview Thursday with the Wisconsin Lottery. He revealed that he was eating breakfast at the time. He passed the ticket to his wife and "she froze" also. The next thing he did after realizing he won was to call his buddy.

Feeney of Menomonie revealed that he thought Cook was joking when he received the call. "that happened many years ago", he said but Cook replied him saying "A handshake's a handshake, man" even though "that happened many years ago".

Feeney revealed that both of them would buy lottery tickets every week but never thought they would actually win.

Wisconsin Lottery press revealed that the friends chose the cash option of about $16.7 million and they will take home roughly $5.7 million after federal and state taxes.

Feeney had already retired from the fire department before the occurrence. Cook, who has children and grand children, retired from his job after the winning as revealed by the press release.

None of them had any profligate plan for the money but both revealed that they want to spend more time with their family and explore the world.

"We can pursue what we feel comfortable with," Cook said in the interview. "I can't think of a better way to retire."

The state's lottery director congratulated the friends on their big win. $100,000 was awarded to the Menomonie gas station for selling Cook the ticket.

“The power of friendship and a handshake has paid off. I’m thrilled for them — their lucky day has arrived!” Cindy Polzin said in a statement.

https://featured24.com/man-fulfils-28-year-old-promise-splits-22m-lottery-winnings-with-friend/

Lalasticlala

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by hisexcellency34: 7:47am On Jul 27, 2020
In Nigeria, even if you swear by Amadioha plus Shango, some folks will still deny agreement when money comes

1 Like

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by espn(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2020
Real and true friends...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by donbachi(m): 8:02am On Jul 27, 2020
I'm the only nigerian dat can keep dis kind of promise..though,no longer a nigerian.
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by gurunlocker: 8:04am On Jul 27, 2020
In Nigeria, person dey kill each other because of 1K grin grin

1 Like

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by Righteousness89(m): 8:08am On Jul 27, 2020
If Mere men who are Friends could keep the promise they made to themselves after 28years, then Imagine all the Promises of the KING of kings..

HE said, He would die on the cross , pay the Price of our sins , and would Resurrect on the 3rd day! He Fulfilled that!

HE said "I go to Prepare a place for you, and I will come back and Receive you! Friends HE never Fails! JESUS is Coming back again!! Are you Prepared!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by Biofil84(m): 8:11am On Jul 27, 2020
Before I opened the thread I told myself that this person is not a Nigeria and voilà I wasn't disappointed. grin

Congratulations, but favour really know how to follow some people imagine that amount ...is well ooo
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by topboss: 8:38am On Jul 27, 2020
scam ex lottery employee
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by CilicMarin: 8:43am On Jul 27, 2020
Righteousness89:
If Mere men who are Friends could keep the promise they made to themselves after 28years, then Imagine all the Promises of the KING of kings..

HE said, He would die on the cross , pay the Price of our sins , and would Resurrect on the 3rd day! He Fulfilled that!

HE said "I go to Prepare a place for you, and I will come back and Receive you! Friends HE never Fails! JESUS is Coming back again!! Are you Prepared!!!!!

lalasticlala Mynd44 ...Is there no longer rules for spamming and preaching in every thread on Nairaland? Can't you guys rein on this guy,?

1 Like

Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by BlackfireX: 9:03am On Jul 27, 2020
Which tribe can do this in Nigeria o grin
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by Dpharisee: 9:10am On Jul 27, 2020
If it were to be Nigeria his relatives will tell him that his promise were mere words that can be broken without repercussions
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by PapaNnamdi: 9:35am On Jul 27, 2020
I am
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by princepee: 12:46pm On Jul 27, 2020
espn:
Real and true friends...
very hard to find!
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by princepee: 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2020
I am such a friend! Very Royal to my friends...
But always get disappointed when am down.
Now I have no friends.
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by eme2015(m): 1:25pm On Jul 27, 2020
this will appear very unimaginable to an idea Nigerian
Re: Man Fulfils 28-year-old Promise, Splits $22M Lottery Winnings With Friend (Pic) by Myk1234: 12:05pm On Jul 30, 2020
CilicMarin:

lalasticlala Mynd44 ...Is there no longer rules for spamming and preaching in every thread on Nairaland? Can't you guys rein on this guy,?
Do you have any problem with him?

(1) (Reply)

At 27, My Life Is Worrisome. / My Wife Receive A Text Message From NYIF For Loan Programe / Betpawa: My Pawa Won Me Over ₦20 Million On Betpawa And A Call From Mr Eazi Apri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.