Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published (27627 Views)

Hold Saboteurs Responsible If Tinubu Government Fails - Senator Bamidele / Senator Bamidele Helped Obi To Defeat Tinubu In Court / Tribunal: Senator Bamidele Says IPOB Behind Presidential Election Mayhem In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Islie: 11:04am On Jul 27, 2020
Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele The Chairman, Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, has said that some bills are contributing to the misunderstanding of the ninth National Assembly by Nigerians.

He also said some of his colleagues are against the publication of their salaries and allowances because of national security.

Ndume wants part-time work for civil servants, lawmakers After Daily Trust report, Senators donate 50% of salaries to fight coronavirus There have been a lot of uproar over the welfare package of the federal lawmakers.

Many have called for it to be slashed. Within the last one year, some of the private member bills sponsored by the federal lawmakers for consideration and possible passage have been stirring controversy in the polity as regards their desirability or otherwise.

Some of the controversial bills are, the Anti-Social Media bill, hate speech bill, a bill seeking to establish an agency for repentant Boko Haram insurgents, a bill for an act to prohibit/ban the use of generators and the infectious disease bill.

Speaking in an interview with newsmen weekend in Abuja, Senator Bamidele (APC, Ekiti Central), said the bills were wrongly perceived by Nigerians regardless of the sponsors’ intention.

He said, “We have had some bills in the last one year that also didn’t help our popularity, regardless of the fact that the distinguished senators who sponsored the bills meant so well.

“Unfortunately, a lot of people are yet to understand the workings of the parliament. When a private member bill is read for the first time, it doesn’t matter how bad it is, you cannot hold the Senate responsible.

“We have other 108 members who will assess the bill, and part of the process of the legislation is that the bill itself, after the senators would have debated the general principle during second reading, will be subjected to public scrutiny. You could have a situation where the preponderance of opinion would have even killed the bill and that will be the end.

“But a lot of time, the parliament is assessed based on the kind or nature of bills that are read for the first time and then people bring it down with comments and insinuations on social media. They, however, mean well.”

He said he had been pushing for the publication of lawmakers’ salaries and allowances for the public to know, but some members had expressed reservations for reason of national security.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-my-colleagues-dont-want-our-pay-package-published-sen-bamidele.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Stephen0mozzy: 11:10am On Jul 27, 2020
He also said some of his colleagues are against the publication of their salaries and allowances because of national security

Come on! Threat to national security is the people knowing that your unaccountable largesse called salary is too much and an unnecessary cost for a country that is said to be broke and borrowing away it's existence.

Duplication of function, and non existent delivery of what's expected of them.

Public servants that don't want to be transparent to the public.

113 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 27, 2020
What exactly are you guys scared of?
You forget we have dunce and foolish followers whom upon hearing the exact amount you are been paid, are meant to lynch and stone you all to death
But reverse is the case, they will rather cheer and hail you and even come online to defend you
Naija which way?

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Loadbalancer(m): 11:18am On Jul 27, 2020
Maybe because all of them are thieves na, or why else?

Learn project analysis with SPSS & Eviews via zoom/whatsapp, for just N1,999. Please click my name for details

5 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 27, 2020
Threat to their security is why they don't want it published. Trust me if we had basic amenities, jobs, food, roads etc do you think the average Nigetian will have your time? Instead pdp and apc have decided to loot the country dey both through legal and illegal means.

You want to know how you can earn from forex and learn at the same time? You don't want to be part of the 90% who lose out in the complex world of forex? Why not let the professionals trade for you?
Thanks to them I didn't know what being broke felt like during the lockdown and up till now. Hit me up via WhatsApp if you are interested.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Slawormir: 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Iheanasure01: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2020
Things dey happen for naija
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2020
Oh
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Andrew13: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2020
D
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by WetSmoke: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
grin
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
Awon ole!

2 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Memphis357(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
In a country where you have crooks and fraudsters as leaders looting public funds and swindling the masses, what do you expect from the youths when most of them are just stuck on stupidity as BBN is currently on?

This country has no image, reputation and rating in international community.
#ThereWasACountry

9 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by changeit: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
we dey hear, make person no go dey use hin day dey affect my own day, no be Politics, their matter no be wetin person dey carry for head

1 Like

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Cmanforall: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
It should be published, so Nigerians will.know you're suffering with them

2 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by TripA(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2020
It doesn't change the fact that the 9th assembly are a bunch of pussieees

and just like most Nigerian politician are after thier own pockets.

Only few bills raised actually help the common man

3 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by PotatoSalad(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2020
What's the job of a Nigerian senator other than sit down, blab and get fat checks?

4 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by anambraamaka: 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2020
Imagine
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by omenka(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2020
Such bold and unrepentant crooks. National security my ass.

3 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by omoeast(m): 1:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
We bi mumu na...Nigeria one of the poorest country on earth but runs the most expensive government headed by stack illiterate ( I can categorically say our dear president can’t spell FOREX) dumb mofo.

6 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by omenka(m): 1:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
PotatoSalad:
What's the job of a Nigerian senator other than sit down, blab and get fat checks?
You forgot to add reading newspapers.

1 Like

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by BennyDGreat: 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2020
DominusPrime:
Threat to their security is why they don't want it published. Trust me if we had basic amenities, jobs, food, roads etc do you think the average Nigetian will have your time? Instead pdp and apc have decided to loot the country dey both through legal and illegal means

You have said it all!
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by observer88: 1:05pm On Jul 27, 2020
He should have said "individual security". What is nationally secured about info on what your elected representatives earn?

They fear that they could be waylayed, attacked and maimed should Nigerians know the humongous sums they are sitting atop...for doing largely nothing!

4 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Openbusiness4: 1:05pm On Jul 27, 2020
grin "national security" is d latest blanket to cover unbelievable corruption. D kain tins wey dey apin for dis Buhari regime ehn...... grin
Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Farki: 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2020
They know that the salaries are grossly inflated and unearned.

Even if they reveal the amount Nigerians most likely won't do anything, they are either too ignorant or used to the status quo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by teamsynergy: 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2020
So these idiots know that their slaaries can cause chaos if published... This country is a plain joke

5 Likes

Re: Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published by Ghostmode2two(m): 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2020
A typical Statement from one of the legislooters

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bandits Ask Soldiers To Vacate Plateau Community Ahead Of Planned Attack / Atiku Abubakar Hosts Imam In Saudi Arabia While On Pilgrimage Duty..photo / No Peace Unless Herdsmen Move Freely - Northern Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.