Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,679 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. (2378 Views)

We Are No Longer Safe In Lagos / How To Stay Safe In Nigeria – Man Gives Hints Amidst Rising Insecurity / Abuja Is No Longer Safe - Gimba Kakanda, Journalist Shares Paralyzing Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Spells(m): 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2020
So I got a call from my sister with her voice shaky from too much tears, that her GTbank account has been hacked. Her savings of 200k+ plus has been withdrawn. She doesn't use this account for online transactions for what so ever. Now the funny part is that she doesn't have an ATM card to the account because it's expired, n didn't bother getting a new one to enable her not touch the money. She only uses the Mobile banking app. Now the real question is how can a gtbank mobile app be hacked...she got to the bank to lay a complain and they where saying all sort of internet banking of which she didn't do, and telling her go get a court order of which in my experience the bank will just dump aside because of pending issues like that. So does it mean people can wake up one morning and loose all their life savings that is meant to be safe in the bank? And the bank does nothing.. I'm afraid of leaving a dime in the bank right now. Please moderator push this to front page. Is our money really safe in the banks

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by NettyNelly(m): 12:34pm On Jul 27, 2020
This is sad. She should direct her complaint to bank MGMT HQ. Or she can use social media tagging GTB and CBN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by hisgrace090: 12:39pm On Jul 27, 2020
If banks decided to go after criminal terrorising their customers, all this rubbish will become storey. But they were afraid of spending a dime on anything main reason why recycle dirty note instead of mopping them out continues in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by francisbarrack(m): 12:45pm On Jul 27, 2020
we as human being r no longer safe talkless of bank... naija case pass me

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 27, 2020
Tell to complain at cbn and also send a copy to the M.D Mr Segun Agbaje..well her ussd might be the culprit hope she didn't lose her SIM.

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Adrian9(m): 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
Bad one! The safest thing to do is to invest your money.
I say this because this matter of people loosing humongous sums of hard earned money is becoming too much. If you buy a parcel of land in a good location once you can afford it, no matter how small,it is wayyyyyyyy better than keeping it in any bank!
You will make more money when you sell it, and have enough to reinvest after covering some expenses. I DON'T BELIEVE IN KEEPING LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY IN THE BANK AT THE MERCY OF CRIMINALS!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Jakumo(m): 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2020
It is common knowledge that virtually ALL major Nigerian banks are completely infiltrated by criminal gangs who work with the full cooperation of bank staff, to loot customer accounts, and then to frustrate all efforts by the fraud victims, to obtain a refund of the stolen money. To the OP, I
say verily unto thee, that your sister's 200k naira savings has been donated to criminals by GT Bank, and furthermore, that chickens will grow magnificent sets of gleaming white teeth, BEFORE so much as a penny of that stolen money is ever refunded by the bank.

As noted by the OP, avoiding the use of an ATM card or any online banking is NOT going to protect bank customers in Nigeria from the criminals that freely access any and all bank accounts that contain anything worth stealing, regardless of whether or not the account holder attempted to block all electronic banking access to their money.

Just one of the methods of siphoning money from bank customers, is the purchase of PHONE CREDIT by criminals, by fraudulently withdrawing money from bank customers' accounts, at the rate of N500 per minute, until the account is properly drained to the last penny. This cash reallocation modality is generally perpetrated at night, with the objective of stealing all the account contents before daybreak when banks open, and the victim becomes aware of the large cash donation they have made to thieves engaged by the bank.

The solution for banking customers, is to keep their money buried in the forest, using waterproof containers, after carefully marking the spot with a GPS receiver. All banks in Nigeria are owned and operated by criminal gangs, without one single exception, and you can take THAT, to the bank.

6 Likes

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by playapayaski: 1:32pm On Jul 27, 2020
Jakumo:
It is common knowledge that virtually ALL major Nigerian banks are completely infiltrated by criminal gangs who work with the full cooperation of bank staff, to loot customer accounts, and then to frustrate all efforts by the fraud victims, to obtain a refund of the stolen money. To the OP, I
say verily unto thee, that your sister's 200k naira savings has been donated to criminals by GT Bank, and furthermore, that chickens will grow magnificent sets of gleaming white teeth, BEFORE so much as a penny of that stolen money is ever refunded by the bank.

As noted by the OP, avoiding the use of an ATM card or any online banking is NOT going to protect bank customers in Nigeria from the criminals that freely access any and all bank accounts that contain anything worth stealing, regardless of whether or not the account holder attempted to block all electronic banking access to their money.

Just one of the methods of siphoning money from bank customers, is the purchase of PHONE CREDIT by criminals, by fraudulently withdrawing money from bank customer's accounts, at the rate of N500 per minute, until the account is properly drained to the last penny. This cash reallocation modality is generally perpetrated at night, with the objective of stealing all the account contents before daybreak when banks open, and the victim becomes aware of the large cash donation they have made to thieves engaged by the bank.

The solution for banking customers, is to keep their money buried in the forest, using waterproof containers, after carefully marking the spot with a GPS receiver. All banks in Nigeria are owned and operated by criminal gangs, without one single exception, and you can take THAT, to the bank.

For you..

2 Likes

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Jakumo(m): 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2020
I don catch that cold beer, gbosaa.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by 24SEVEN: 1:58pm On Jul 27, 2020
Jakumo:

Just one of the methods of siphoning money from bank customers, is the purchase of PHONE CREDIT by criminals, by fraudulently withdrawing money from bank customers' accounts, at the rate of N500 per minute, until the account is properly drained to the last penny. This cash reallocation modality is generally perpetrated at night, with the objective of stealing all the account contents before daybreak when banks open, and the victim becomes aware of the large cash donation they have made to thieves engaged by the bank.

How can one become a member of the criminals gangs.

Since I can't keep my money inside waterproof containers and bury it in a forest, best bet is to be part of such gangs, so my money can be safe.

Isn't my idea bankable. grin

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Jakumo(m): 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2020
24SEVEN:

How can one become a member of the criminals gangs.

Since I can't keep my money inside waterproof containers and bury it in a forest, best bet is to be part of such gangs, so my money can be safe.

Isn't my idea bankable. grin

Just have the cash delivered to me in my Corona virus hideout, with immediate effect. In exchange for the money, I will offer very powerful prayers that will enable you to earn far more money than the palm-wine drinking donation you made to me in good faith.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by 24SEVEN: 2:06pm On Jul 27, 2020
Jakumo:

Just have the cash delivered to me in my Corona virus hideout, with immediate effect. In exchange for the money, I will offer very powerful prayers that will enable you to earn far more money that the palm-wine drinking donation you made to me in good faith.

Lolz.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Highorbit7O16: 4:21pm On Jul 27, 2020
They used her bvn hahaha
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 27, 2020
In this era, one just needs to be very careful.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2020
Highorbit7O16:
They used her bvn hahaha
How?
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Highorbit7O16: 6:20pm On Jul 27, 2020
Tundexi:

How?
It's not possible
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Greatzeus(m): 7:39pm On Jul 27, 2020
Spells:
So I got a call from my sister with her voice shaky from too much tears, that her GTbank account has been hacked. Her savings of 200k+ plus has been withdrawn. She doesn't use this account for online transactions for what so ever. Now the funny part is that she doesn't have an ATM card to the account because it's expired, n didn't bother getting a new one to enable her not touch the money. She only uses the Mobile banking app. Now the real question is how can a gtbank mobile app be hacked...she got to the bank to lay a complain and they where saying all sort of internet banking of which she didn't do, and telling her go get a court order of which in my experience the bank will just dump aside because of pending issues like that. So does it mean people can wake up one morning and loose all their life savings that is meant to be safe in the bank? And the bank does nothing.. I'm afraid of leaving a dime in the bank right now. Please moderator push this to front page. Is our money really safe in the banks
I understand your pain bro but I think Nobody hacked your sister's account. If your money is withdrawn without your knowledge just know the perpetrators had gotten hold of some of your information like ATM PIN or the numbers on your ATM or banking App details or your SIM connected to your account.etc.
Your sister left a trail of her banking app details who was stolen by someone who knew her or had access to her devices.
A person who can hack people's bank account wouldn't hack an account of 200k,he will go millions or billions. It's common sense bro.
Besides your half smart sister doesn't use ATM but had banking app? Like which one is more prone to hacking or leaving a trail behind?

2 Likes

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by CyberEBOLA(m): 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2020
Spells:
Now the funny part is that she doesn't have an ATM card to the account because it's expired, n didn't bother getting a new one to enable her not touch the money.
Let me guess what likely happened.
As you said, her atmcard expired, and she didnt apply for a new one, because she doesnt want to spend her savings.
So, she left the account domant(unused).

A corrupt GTB staff who specializes in stealing money from domant accounts probably assumed to belong to a dead person, then decided to strike the account.

ANOTHER WAY IS:
Somebody close to her, who has access to her phone, did this to her.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by udy4real(m): 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2020
CyberEBOLA:

As you said, her atmcard expired, and she didnt apply for a new one, because she doesnt want to spend her savings.

A corrupt GTB staff who specializes in stealing money from domant accounts probably assumed to belong to a dead person, then decided to strike the account.

ANOTHER WAY IS:

For real?
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:49pm On Jul 27, 2020
udy4real:

For real?
HAPPENS WELL.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by udy4real(m): 9:52pm On Jul 27, 2020
CyberEBOLA:
HAPPENS WELL.
Just think it's stories people make up,How can they scam you with just your phone number?
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Goldenboy10(m): 10:27pm On Jul 27, 2020
Am really confused right now. Nigerian are not safe, money in the bank is not safe, giving it to somebody to save for you(akawo) is not safe. The best option is to invest the money, either using it to buy land or buildings.
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 27, 2020
Black hat hackers at work.. Hacking is a simple stuff in a technological space because of its endless level of transparency and vulnerability..

This is why human knowledge is declared a limited by a supreme deity.. Man-made inventions are generally flawed that it takes a divine assistant to cover it as a divine insurance.

Insure your life, family, money, and possessions to God for His security and protection.. Do what He says, because the world ain't safe!!
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by davillian(m): 11:12pm On Jul 27, 2020
This same GTB
My younger brother was out of the country and huge amount of money just vanished from his account...
The crazy thing was that he was in the states and his card was with him....
The money was withdrawn in a Nigeria with an ATM card.. ...
He gave them proof that he was out of the country and the card was with him...
He came back and met about 5pwople complaining about same issue..
Cut story short the bank paid him his money complete....

2 Likes

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by CyberEBOLA(m): 5:36am On Jul 28, 2020
davillian:
This same GTB
My younger brother was out of the country and huge amount of money just vanished from his account...
The crazy thing was that he was in the states and his card was with him....
The money was withdrawn in a Nigeria with an ATM card.. ...
He gave them proof that he was out of the country and the card was with him...
He came back and met about 5pwople complaining about same issue..
Cut story short the bank paid him his money complete....
As I said in my post above, it is common with GTB, once an account is domant for some months(no debit) just prepare to have your funds wiped by corrupt GTB staffs(who assume you are dead)

2 Likes

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by shafanik: 6:20am On Jul 28, 2020
Hello my friend,

I just want to share with you a message about the love of Christ. John 3 vs 16 says God so much loved you that He gave His only Son, Jesus Christ to shed his blood for you.

Dear friend, Jesus died so you can access salvation with eternal life. As you receive Christ into your life today, I assure you that you will never remain the same… 1 Corinthians 5 vs 17 says If any man be in Christ he is a new creature, old things are passed away, behold all things are become new.

How to experience this newness of life:
Step 1: Confess your sins to God, and ask Him to forgive you of past sins
Step 2: Repent from your sins, and do not return back to them
Step 3: Believe in your heart that you are now saved.

As you do these, continue in your Christian walk and relationship with God by fellowshipping with a Bible believing church, also prayer and continual study of the word of God will keep you going.

Thank God you’re now saved. God bless you

1 Like

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by icebird25(m): 8:04am On Jul 28, 2020
Is possible Sha. Maybe they might hack into her mobile banking using ..a spyware or keylogger ..
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by udy4real(m): 7:16pm On Jul 28, 2020
icebird25:
Is possible Sha. Maybe they might hack into her mobile banking using ..a spyware or keylogger ..
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by supercase1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 28, 2020
Jakumo:

Wisdom grin grin
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by wirinet(m): 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2020
CyberEBOLA:

If it's a fraud within the bank, then the victim should write a petition to the head office of the bank and also get in touch with with the customer protection unit of CBN - https://www.cbn.gov.ng/Supervision/cpdcomgt.asp
The head office would not like to spoil their reputation over a meagre N200k. They would carry out an investigation.

ANOTHER WAY IS:

If she was careless with her SIM card and someone stole or cloned her SIM card, then there is nothing the bank can do. She can report to the police for criminal investigation. The problem is criminal investigations are funded by the victim in Nigeria, so if she has the money to commission the police to investigate, then she should go ahead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by wirinet(m): 8:04pm On Jul 28, 2020
Jakumo:

If you understand how IT works, especially as it relates to banking, you will realize that stealing your money is not that easy or straight forward, except it was carried out by the bank itself. In that case, then the CBN will come in. If a particular bank is getting numerous complaints from customers, that bank would soon get into trouble with the CBN.

The only way a third party could steal your money is if they get hold of your vital banking information like ATM number, PIN number, BVN or your SIM card. If you understand how to secure these issues, you will be safe. You need to be careful on which sites you give your banking information. You must protect the SIM you register with your banks (put a SIM lock).

If you observe basic security vigilance, you will not lose your money to third party fraudsters,
Re: Hacked Account. Banking No Longer Safe In Nigeria. by Jakumo(m): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2020
wirinet:

. The problem is criminal investigations are funded by the victim in Nigeria, so if she has the money to commission the police to investigate, then she should go ahead.

Pesin when never sabi say dem dey PAY for Police Fesgashon, go just dey carry suffer-head dey wakka, every blessed day.

If you no gree pay for police workmanship, na him be say you no get case, and na to siddon look remain for you, as mumu concern.

In other words, Oga DPO asked me to convey to Nairaland's esteemed readership, that justice is available to the highest bidder in Nigeria, while naturally all bids are gratefully accepted by the investigating officers, from all parties involved whether they can afford to pay or not.

In other words, if you have no objection to paying a doctor to treat you, an dentist to panel-beat your teeth, a woman of easy virtue to grope, and a taxi to convey you to the bordello, then for goodness sake why would any sane person expect FREE police investigations deep within Obodo Nigeria ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

AUDIO: 'go And Kill Him', Victim's Relative Tells Kidnapper Who Demanded N100m R / Woman Beheads Two Years Old Kid. / Man Who Supplies Bikes To Bandits At The Cost Of N600k Each Arrested In Kano-pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.