Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities (721 Views)

Help Pro JS Programmers, I'm Losing My Mind. / Please Help: I'm At The Verge Of Losing My Final Yr Project Files To Ransomware / Gain Confidence In Your Code Through Testing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Etinosa1234: 10:36pm On Jul 27, 2020
I've been learning Java for close to three months now...and I get overwhelmed when I see a Java question...
Most of the times I get to attempt it but sometimes I'll use the help section...

Pls is it normal to be under confident in my abilities at this stage of my learning

cc Lalasticlala Dominique
Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Coder2Client(m): 11:40pm On Jul 27, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I've been learning Java for close to three months now...and I get overwhelmed when I see a Java question...
Most of the times I get to attempt it but sometimes I'll use the help section...

Pls is it normal to be under confident in my abilities at this stage of my learning

What you need is to go back to the basics. If your basics is not well founded, you will experience what you are experiencing.

There are two parts to Java SE

1. The Java Fundamental
2. The core Java

You need to get the fundamental right before you proceed to the core.

With your beginner's level, you should be solving simple problems like calculator. Write a program that add, subtract, divide and multiply numbers input by the user . With this type of application, you going to use Scanner class for input, if-else or switch statement and methods that handle each of the operation that is, each method for add, subtract, divide and multiply. And call each of the methods in the if-else or switch statement. Then run your code.

You're two months into programming don't be too hasty to build the next big app. Programming is not done like that. Take your time to learn and practice.

I will recommend to you a good book that explains Java in visual way. HEAD FIRST JAVA.

Love Java, love kotlin, love coding.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by excanny: 12:23am On Jul 28, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Lol. It took me 10 years to get a grip on programming. Not like I was learning actively for the whole 10 years, but was going on and off, sometimes confused or discouraged.

But today, there's practically nothing I can't do with my programming skills. I've learnt over 7 languages and can switch to any depending on the best for the task at hand.

So keep on keeping on, you will get there if you don't give up.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by meobizy(f): 12:39am On Jul 28, 2020
I started lifting weights last week. Why don't I look like Arnold Shwarzenegger? I look only a little heavier than I did last week. Where are my six packs? WTF. Glute ham raises -- what are they -- a punishment from hell?

4 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 28, 2020
Buy KnockOff confidence booster from jumia
Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Karleb(m): 2:28am On Jul 28, 2020
Your problem is imposter syndrome.
Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by squash47(m): 8:10am On Jul 28, 2020
You're still young in the system na....did you learn how to speak correct English in three months ?

Everything takes time

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:43am On Jul 28, 2020
Etinosa1234:

You are still on track because it takes time for you to understand the logic behind those coding.
There is difference between learning something and understanding the concepts.
And also try to master how you can write your own code so you can understand things at first.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by bet9ja(m): 8:50am On Jul 28, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Please be patient. Don't pollute your mind with all this nonsense ads that says you can learn programming in 3 months. Just keep your focus and enjoy it.
The truth is, even the so called professionals are using google to solve programming task. What is important is to understand the pseudocode of any given task.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by engrjoshua: 10:08am On Jul 28, 2020
Never be discourage.
Programming is something you always feel you don't know enough. Just take out time to learn the basics, build some little programs. It's very important as it strengthen your brain memory. Spent more time practicing practicing, the more you practice the more comfortable you become. Never be intimidated by your inability to answer some questions in the field. With Time you will become comfortable and be able to do well, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it..

Keep on Practicing practicing practicing.
Good luck and hope to hear your testimony soon �

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:14am On Jul 28, 2020
Maybe you are still in tutorial hell. Try building stuff with Java. You learn more by doing.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 28, 2020
Close to 3 months is nothing. We wey don dey code for more than 3 years still use Google to solve the smallest problems and we never die. Lol grin

My advice is to start doing real life projects, that way, you'll learn more than just watching tutorials and reading eBooks.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by Nobody: 2:19am On Jul 29, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I think I get what you're talking about. I assume the "Java questions" you're talking about are excercises/projects where you are tasked with writing your own java code.

This is most likely an issue with how you've been learning. Programming is something you can not learn passively. What I mean is only staring and typing out other people's code will never allow you learn. Straight from when you began learning the language you should have been constantly making your own projects and programs with whatever new thing you learn. That way you build your confidence and not have to doubt yourself everytime have to write your own code.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help.. I'm Losing Confidence In My Abilities by SpambotLeaveMeNa: 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2020
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Help With Visual Studio Code... / Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? / Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.