Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,422 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says (485 Views)

COVID-19: Wear A Face-mask And Don't Kiss During Sex - Canada / Coronavirus: Prostitute Wears Face Mask (video) / Robert Chelsea Receives A Face Transplant, The First Black Man To Get It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Kei144(m): 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2020
As other countries face renewed outbreaks, Sweden’s latest Covid-19 figures suggest it’s rapidly bringing the virus under control.

“That Sweden has come down to these levels is very promising,” state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told reporters in Stockholm on Tuesday.

The Health Agency of Sweden says that since hitting a peak in late June, the infection rate has fallen sharply. That’s amid an increase in testing over the period. “The curves are going down and the curves for the seriously ill are beginning to approach zero,” Tegnell said.

The development follows months of controversy over Sweden’s decision to avoid a full lockdown. The unusual strategy coincided with a much higher Covid-19 mortality rate than elsewhere in the Nordic region. Per 100,000, Swedish deaths even exceeded those in the U.S. and Brazil.

On Tuesday, Sweden reported two new deaths, bringing the total to 5,702.

Masks

Tegnell also broached the subject of face masks, which the World Health Organization recommends people use when social distancing isn’t possible.

“With numbers diminishing very quickly in Sweden, we see no point in wearing a face mask in Sweden, not even on public transport,” he said.

Tegnell has consistently argued that Sweden’s approach is more sustainable than the sudden lockdowns imposed elsewhere. With the risk that Covid-19 might be around for years, he says completely shutting down society isn’t a long-term option.

Meanwhile, many countries that thought they’d brought the virus under control are now seeing second waves. Tegnell called those developments “worrying.”

“The positive trend is reversing, with an increase in the number of cases in Spain, Romania and Belgium, among others,” he said.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/29/no-point-in-wearing-mask-sweden-covid/
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Brandstudio01: 6:18pm On Jul 29, 2020
Hnnm
You can imagine if the guy was a Nigerian
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by ajailer(m): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2020
and more ppl have died there than their surrounding neighbour countries due covid-19.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Golan007: 6:38pm On Jul 29, 2020
Their strategy did not prove to be effective.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Kei144(m): 6:43pm On Jul 29, 2020
ajailer:
and more ppl have died there than their surrounding neighbour countries due covid-19.

More people died and now the deaths have nearly stopped. Countries that locked down managed to keep fatality down for some time and damaged their economies and now they are facing second wave; ultimately, there will be no death advantage between those that locked down and Sweden.

Even here in Nigeria, I so much feared that removing the interstate lockdown could lead to national disaster. Interstate lockdown was removed and infection rate rather reduced.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:47pm On Jul 29, 2020
thats why Sweden has the highest covid19 death rate in Scandinavia.... well done!
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Kei144(m): 7:02pm On Jul 29, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
thats why Sweden as the highest covid19 death rate in Scandinavia.... well done!

You seem to be confusing "infection rate" with "infection total". Sweden's infection rate has decreased sharply; there is a high probability that the infection and death total of countries that destroyed their economies with lockdown will end up exceeding that of Sweden, given that the countries that applied lockdown are now facing second wave.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Razzness(m): 7:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
The truth is, facemask can even be a bigger source of infection for covid19. I have seen ppl use the same facemask for weeks, they massage the facemask with their hands after shaking a whole community, they remove the facemask and put in their pockets or just hang it on their chin when they feel hot, i have seen ppl borrow facemasks to enter bank. With all this behaviour how will facemask save u from covid19? The single most important way to avoid this disease is to avoid contact and avoid using unwashed hands to touch ur nose or face.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:09pm On Jul 29, 2020
Kei144:
You seem to be confusing "infection rate" with "infection total". Sweden's infection rate has decreased sharply; there is a high probability that the infection and death total of countries that destroyed their economies with lockdown will end up exceeding that of Sweden, given that the countries that applied lockdown are now facing second wave.

pls reread my earlier post again and focus on what i wrote (as i dont see where you saw anything written about "infection rate"wink....

here below is what i am talking about:
Sweden 5730 covid19 death so far
Denmark 614 covid19 death so far
Finland 329 covid19 death so far
Norway 255 covid19 death so far
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Kei144(m): 7:21pm On Jul 29, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

pls reread my earlier post again and focus on what i wrote (as i dont see where you saw anything written about "infection rate"wink....

here below is what i am talking about:
Sweden 5730 covid19 death so far
Denmark 614 covid19 death so far
Finland 329 covid19 death so far
Norway 255 covid19 death so far

Even death rate is not the same thing as percent death or death ratio. Rate has to do with "per unit time", that is ∂F/∂t. Sweden suffered initial high ∂F/∂t, but now the ∂F/∂t has drastically reduced. Their economy is intact. Countries that destroyed their economies with lockdown in order to achieve low ∂F/∂t are experiencing second wave, which means significant increase in ∂F/∂t. Since these countries may not bear forever lockdown, ultimately, they may end up with the same total infection and total death as Sweden, in the long run.
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2020
Kei144:
Even death rate is not the same thing as percent death or death ratio. Rate has to do with "per unit time", that is ∂F/∂t. Sweden suffered initial high ∂F/∂t, but now the ∂F/∂t has drastically reduced. Their economy is intact. Countries that destroyed their economies with lockdown in order to achieve low ∂F/∂t are experiencing second wave, which means significant increase in ∂F/∂t. Since these countries may not bear forever lockdown, ultimately, they may end up with the same total infection and total death as Sweden, in the long run.

now compare the above you just wrote with the Scandinavian country i mentioned...
Re: ‘We See No Point In Wearing A Face Mask,’ Sweden’s Top Virus Expert Says by Kobojunkie: 3:55am On Jul 30, 2020
Kei144:

Before you celebrate them, make sure you clearly understand what the Swedish have done here. Their approach essentially allowed coronavirus infect the general populace, killing off the weak and vulnerable in their population. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Basically, coronavirus has so far wiped out about 0.06% of the population of the country of Sweden here. lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Your Health First.... Take Care Of Your Issues With This Longrich Product / How First Cardiology Consultants Treat Covid-19 Patients In Lagos / Buying The Right Exercise Equipment You Can Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.